Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

It rained - all, focking, weekend, long. :mad: ..................... But we needed it badly, so I guess it was good for the cause.

Took advantage of the free time and re-gripped my clubs... I'm constantly shocked at how few actually change their grips out. If you play regularly, you should change them once a year. It's the easiest thing ever to do, hard part being getting the old grips off... Guys looking for hook/slice cures, might look to your grips. Midsized and/or jumbo grips could help straighten that hook out. Likewise, smaller grips could help you turn it over easier... My secret grip go to tip - nail polish remover. I keep a bottle of this in my bag at all times. I use it to clean my grips during the round - gets the grit off and makes them instantly tacky. I also use it to clean my golf balls - takes smeared ink and grime away with ease.

Fort Worth's oldest Muni is set for its grand re-opening, here in a couple weeks. This layout has totally changed, almost unrecognizable now... These pics don't do it justice, it's way greener and aesthetically pleasing than when these were taken - I'm excited to play it...... CBF, you going to check it out?

https://www.fortworthgolf.org/-rockwood

Oh yeah, I'll be playing it asap. I've always thought Rockwood had the bones to become FW's crown jewel. They just needed water for better conditions, and to properly use parts of the old Blue 9. I havent studied the layout really, but I make it a point to drive by there and take a gander anytime I am on that side of town.

It rained - all, focking, weekend, long. :mad: ..................... But we needed it badly, so I guess it was good for the cause.

Took advantage of the free time and re-gripped my clubs... I'm constantly shocked at how few actually change their grips out. If you play regularly, you should change them once a year. It's the easiest thing ever to do, hard part being getting the old grips off... Guys looking for hook/slice cures, might look to your grips. Midsized and/or jumbo grips could help straighten that hook out. Likewise, smaller grips could help you turn it over easier... My secret grip go to tip - nail polish remover. I keep a bottle of this in my bag at all times. I use it to clean my grips during the round - gets the grit off and makes them instantly tacky. I also use it to clean my golf balls - takes smeared ink and grime away with ease.

regripped mine 2 years ago with golf pride new decade... love those grips. Mine are still ok, not twisting or losing them on rainy days, but i should probably get them redone this year or after the season...

I take my clubs to the car wash and pressure wash the grips. You would be surprised how clean and tacky they get after a good blast.

Don't spray under the bottom of the grip or they will seperate from the tape.

I usually start from the butt end and down the grip.

Also good for cleaning cavity backs and grooves

We just now started to dry out from the 8" of rain we got last weekend - now it's been focking pouring all morning long. :wall:

80 tomorrow and 92 Sunday

I'll try to go Sunday and sweat my bag off

After a cool start to the week it has been shaping up and looks like we are heading for some perminent summer tempuratures.

Sub'd for mens league last night 75 and partly sunny.

Today 75 and sunny. Tomorrow 80 and partly sunny. 85 on Sunday. 86 Monday. 86 Tuesday...... and all fairly dry as of now.

Hasn't been that bad of a spring compared to some other places. Lake Ontario is flooding pretty bad. Which is amazing because here an hour south it really hasn't been that rainy in my opinion. Pretty average spring I would say.

80 tomorrow and 92 Sunday

I'll try to go Sunday and sweat my bag off

You sweat in just 92*? Pfft, puss. :P

You sweat in just 92*? Pfft, puss. :P

I sweat when it's 55

I sweat when it's 55

And you want to play golf in Vegas? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Deserved

Sorry man, it was a lay up... Hey, what did you think about the Mavs pick?

Sorry man, it was a layout... Hey, what did you think about the Mavs pick?

I won't lie and claim to watch college hoops....But the dude's highlight reel is awesome. Looks like one of the more athletic and explosive guys we've ever had....I saw multiple player comps to Steve Francis, and that would be the balls. Francis was elite until personality issues derailed him.

I also liked Carlisle already saying Smith was the Starter, and Donnie saying this eliminates the need to pursue a PG in free agency. That means they plan to hand him the keys and grow with him.

I also liked Carlisle already saying Smith was the Starter, and Donnie saying this eliminates the need to pursue a PG in free agency. That means they plan to hand him the keys and grow with him.

Agreed.. I love the pick.. We've never had a kid like this and I welcome the chip on his shoulder. This team could use a little toughness going forward.. My hope is we see him take great strides, but still get back into the top 10 for the draft next year - maybe even top 7.

Shot 90 yesterday from blue tees (from which I really have no business playing, but going with the group...most of which shouldn't be playing them either :lol: )

I know you Texas guys play in the wind a lot, around here we don't get many days where wind is a big factor. Yesterday was really windy and one of those days where it was a factor. On #6 I was 155 out and hit a pretty stock 7 iron that ballooned in the wind and went 110 yards. On #8 I hit 7 iron on a 180 yard hole and airmailed the green.

Shot 90 yesterday from blue tees (from which I really have no business playing, but going with the group...most of which shouldn't be playing them either :lol: )

I know you Texas guys play in the wind a lot, around here we don't get many days where wind is a big factor. Yesterday was really windy and one of those days where it was a factor. On #6 I was 155 out and hit a pretty stock 7 iron that ballooned in the wind and went 110 yards. On #8 I hit 7 iron on a 180 yard hole and airmailed the green.

Awesome, glad you got out. :thumbsup: ...............But yea, and cbf can attest - if it's not blowing 15-20, somebody bumped the earth off its axis.

Rained, all focking day, again, Saturday - no golf.. Did yard work all freaking day y-day, woke up in the middle of the night with my foot throbbing in pain. Apparently I did something to bone under my big toe, can barely walk at all.. I don't remember hurting it, I must have did something w/out knowing it...... No golf for me this week either. :mad:

The wind is a factor around here especially if you are playing near the ocean. The difference in Texas is that it is usually dry and the ball will run forever if you keep it low. Can be great for drives even if you are hitting into the wind. The problem is approach shots with protections in front of the green.

The wind is a factor around here especially if you are playing near the ocean. The difference in Texas is that it is usually dry and the ball will run forever if you keep it low. Can be great for drives even if you are hitting into the wind. The problem is approach shots with protections in front of the green.

My course (Rockport) never and I mean never, has a breeze less than 10 mph. This past weekend, right before it rained it was 20+

less than a mile to the ocean. maybe 1/2 mile

https://s14.postimg.org/z0hhorxxt/Capture.jpg

The GC is showing one of the women's majors right now... Ms. Wie is looking pretty damn good if you're into sexy legs and stuff.

DL III is -7 thru 17 today and you can still get him at 50-1 to win the tourney at Bovada.

I just tossed $20 down on him.

Greenbrier was rained out last year, entire course was rebuilt

CT Pan is 5 under, I wouldn't get too excited.

"Golf Digest estimated the odds of hitting a "Hole in One" by an amateur golfer were at 12,500 to 1 and a tour pro at 2,500 to 1. Great job, Kevin!"

So the 2500:1 was for a tour pro when I was doing my edex calculations

Oh yeah, I'll be playing it asap. I've always thought Rockwood had the bones to become FW's crown jewel.

You play it yet? I'm headed out there this weekend, will give you a review. All this rain we've gotten blasted with, it ought to be green as fock.

I've lost the desire to golf.

haven't been playing at all.

got a membership and barely play.

Sad

You play it yet? I'm headed out there this weekend, will give you a review. All this rain we've gotten blasted with, it ought to be green as fock.

Playing it with my dad on Sunday I believe.

My dad and another guy in our group played it a couple weeks back. Both said it was great. I asked for a difficulty/quality comparison and what the other guy came up with was "Tangle Ridge-esque without the elevation changes."

I'm pumped.

I've lost the desire to golf.

haven't been playing at all.

got a membership and barely play.

Sad

Dude I hear ya, been playing like shiot the last few weeks. Gonna take a week or two off.

I don't know how guys play like 4 or 5 times a week (a lot of guys at my course do). Two times is enough for me.

I don't know how guys play like 4 or 5 times a week (a lot of guys at my course do). Two times is enough for me.

I could easily go 3 weeks w/out actually playing. After this weekend, I plan on taking at least 2 weeks off.. But I'm a range rat, that I can't go w/out. Even when I'm not playing, I hit the range at least once a week.

I could easily go 3 weeks w/out actually playing. After this weekend, I plan on taking at least 2 weeks off.. But I'm a range rat, that I can't go w/out. Even when I'm not playing, I hit the range at least once a week.

Another thing I have a problem doing. The only time I hit the range is if it's like March and there's still snow on the course. I can't just go out and pound balls :softball:

What range? Need a nicer one on my side of town. I go to the Keller Practice Tee on occasion, but they don't have a legit short game area. Leonards is obviously the best, but too far.

What range? Need a nicer one on my side of town. I go to the Keller Practice Tee on occasion, but they don't have a legit short game area. Leonards is obviously the best, but too far.

I practice at 2: Leonard's and the range at my course... Leonard's is absolutely fantastic, but yea - that is a haul for you.. I also will hit balls at Iron Horse. I love that little range, it's framed very nicely, very aesthetic.

Dude I hear ya, been playing like shiot the last few weeks. Gonna take a week or two off.

When you remind yourself of winter here it is easy to make it to the course as much as your possibly can.

Playing it with my dad on Sunday I believe.

My dad and another guy in our group played it a couple weeks back. Both said it was great. I asked for a difficulty/quality comparison and what the other guy came up with was "Tangle Ridge-esque without the elevation changes."

I'm pumped.

Hope you got to play it - I did Saturday...... Wow - I still can't believe it. Not that it's Colonial or anything, but when you compare it to what it used to be - just shocking.... I absolutely loved the layout - a total combo of everything: dogleg rights, dogleg lefts, elevation, etc.. But perhaps the most standout features to me where the bunkering contours and incorporation of native grass areas - really impressive.

Difficulty? I thought it was pretty challenging - but also very playable. The fairways are noticeably wide and give most all a chance to play from the short grass.. The mowed down, domed banks of the greens make for all kinds of creative options - all the while providing all kinds of trouble if you get on the wrong side of one. And then of course the greens themselves, really hard and firm - no way to stop it at the flag (as I found out over and over).

I was 1 over on the front, had 2 birdies, a double and a bogey... The double I had was on #4, the par 5. I had 140 to the back pin, landed it right at the pin - went over into the back pond... The back I limped in with 42. I hit it into some spots I just didn't know where I was going, like #11, drove it too far right for another double... Finished with 79 - not too bad for a 1st trip around the place.

36-43 yesturday. Made the turn and ran into some slow play. I am a headcase when you are cruising along then bam hit a slow group.

36-43 yesturday. Made the turn and ran into some slow play. I am a headcase when you are cruising along then bam hit a slow group.

90% of the time I am a 50% headcase

90% of the time I am a 50% headcase

Like Sex Panther basically, on the golf course.