Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Today I feel like I'm starting the back 9 of life.

45 years old.

I've made the turn and I'm on my way back to the clubhouse.

:cheers:

• Like 1

Excellent analogy :thumbsup:

I've got a few more holes to go, hoping to get a few good shots in before I grab a cold one and call it a day.

Excellent analogy :thumbsup:

I've got a few more holes to go, hoping to get a few good shots in before I grab a cold one and call it a day.

I'll be thrilled if I can make it to 90 with little complications.

• Like 1

I feel like I'm about on the eight hole, but I've thrown half my clubs in the lake already.

Hah!

And running low on balls? :o

I feel like I'm about on the eight hole, but I've thrown half my clubs in the lake already.

:lol:

If you get back to the clubhouse before me, order me something cold & dark on tap, I'll buy.

I'll be thrilled if I can make it to 90 with little complications.

:lol: ass!

Hah!

And running low on balls? :o

I have not treated my body well. I do not expect a smooth descent into old age.

Honestly, I imagine one day I'll have enough health complications that life will suck and I'll eat a gun.

I am making changes. I just don't know how much I can reverse at this point.

I have not treated my body well. I do not expect a smooth descent into old age.

Honestly, I imagine one day I'll have enough health complications that life will suck and I'll eat a gun.

I am making changes. I just don't know how much I can reverse at this point.

you can do eet!

And the back nine usually sucks.

Turned 43 couple weeks ago. Hardest part about getting older isnt that you cant open new doors for yourself....its that certain doors wont ever open again.

I've seen your physique. I think you're deciding what club to use on 14.

you can do eet!

I've mostly gotten the weight more or less under control. Still need to do better. But I have been obese since i was 12. My father bought me a bra at 13 to make a point. That stung.

I gotta quit the smoking. It is going to Kill me sooner than later. I wheeze and hack every morning.

I pretty much don't drink anymore and never did heavily. Never done any heavy drugs.

I don't know if quitting smoking now can make a huge difference. How much can the damage heal over time?

Pen? Wanna weigh in here?

I know I'll get mocked for this and don't care, but I haven't given a Fock about the future in years. I do now. I have a vision of a great future and want to be there for it.

• Like 1

I've mostly gotten the weight more or less under control. Still need to do better. But I have been obese since i was 12. My father bought me a bra at 13 to make a point. That stung.

I gotta quit the smoking. It is going to Kill me sooner than later. I wheeze and hack every morning.

I pretty much don't drink anymore and never did heavily. Never done any heavy drugs.

I don't know if quitting smoking now can make a huge difference. How much can the damage heal over time?

Pen? Wanna weigh in here?

I know I'll get mocked for this and don't care, but I haven't given a Fock about the future in years. I do now. I have a vision of a great future and want to be there for it.

From the tobacco stop smoking site of Maines:

What Happens When You Quit

Immediately after quitting smoking, heart rate and blood pressure, which is abnormally high while smoking, begin to return to normal.

Within a few hours, the level of carbon monoxide, which reduces the bloods ability to carry oxygen, begins to decline.

Within a few weeks, circulation improves, you dont produce as much phlegm, and you dont cough or wheeze as often.

The workload on the heart is decreased and cardiac function is improved.

Food tastes better, and your sense of smell returns to normal.

Everyday activities no longer leave you out of breath.

Within several months of quitting, you experience significant improvements in lung function.

In one year, your risk of heart disease, heart attack, and stroke is halved.

In five years, many kinds of cancer, including lung, larynx, mouth, stomach, cervix, bladder, show decline in risk, and that decline approaches the risk of someone who has never smoked.

Within 10 to 15 years, risk of lung disease, including bronchitis and emphysema, are decreased.

Conditions such as cataracts, macular degeneration, thyroid conditions, hearing loss, dementia, and osteoporosis are positively affected.

Nerve endings in the mouth and nose begin to regenerate, improving taste and smell.

Medications may work better, enabling some to be taken in decreased doses.

Youll have decreased risk for impotence.

Years will be added to your life: people who quit smoking, regardless of their age, are less likely than those who continue to smoke to die from smoking-related illness.

• Like 1

:thumbsup:

Haha.....marshall is also there urging you to finish up.

Coming from a roid freak that burns his skin orange and will die long before I. Sad

Enjoy your day :cheers:

Coming from a roid freak that burns his skin orange and will die long before I. Sad

Enjoy your day :cheers:

Awww, sorry precious. Thought you could take a joke. My bad

Awww, sorry precious. Thought you could take a joke. My bad

you're right. I should have handled that better

you're right. I should have handled that better

Now that's the Edjr I used to love. Welcome back :cheers:

And just for that, you're now washing your balls before the 11th

I like the golf analogy... now that I'm in my mid 40's, my eye sight is going to sh!t... so I can barely see/find the ball... which means I'm gonna play slow and be here a while.... my back 9 is gonna take about 6 hours.

:D

I like the golf analogy... now that I'm in my mid 40's, my eye sight is going to sh!t... so I can barely see/find the ball... which means I'm gonna play slow and be here a while.... my back 9 is gonna take about 6 hours.

Losing my sight terrifies me. I would rather die than go blind.

Deaf I could live with. But not blind. I would go insane (or more insane I guess you could argue) alone in my head all the time and not able to read.

Losing my sight terrifies me. I would rather die than go blind.

Deaf I could live with. But not blind. I would go insane (or more insane I guess you could argue) alone in my head all the time and not able to read.

If i go blind...im still coming here and brailleing your asses to death....just fockin dots everywhere.

:.. ....:: :.::.

• Like 1

about 2 years ago my reading sight vanished overnight. It was a sad day having to go to the eye Dr for the 1st time. he told me I didn't need to see him and gave me a pair of 1.25 reading glasses.

about 2 years ago my reading sight vanished overnight. It was a sad day having to go to the eye Dr for the 1st time. he told me I didn't need to see him and gave me a pair of 1.25 reading glasses.

I first needed glasses in law school. Too much fine print I guess.

My mom is damn near legally blind. Without her glasses, she can't even identify her own kids from five feet away.

For a while, it got worse every year. It seems to have stabilized of late.

I want to get lasik so bad, but never seem to get around to it.

I first needed glasses in law school. Too much fine print I guess.

My mom is damn near legally blind. Without her glasses, she can't even identify her own kids from five feet away.

For a while, it got worse every year. It seems to have stabilized of late.

I want to get lasik so bad, but never seem to get around to it.

Luckily, the Dr said I have 20/20 from afar and should have been a fighter pilot.

A little bit of irony?

Your friends at State Street Eye wish you a very happy birthday!

Throughout all of your life stages, we encourage you to make protecting your vision a priority.

Have a wonderful day and best wishes.

State Street Eye

yeah - I've got that... but my eyes have some other, more serious genetic problems that didn't show up until middle age and could really be a problem in my 70s, 80s.... but, maybe technology will have an solution for it by then... maybe.

For me, 40's was when they started finding stuff wrong with me... blood pressure, joint pain, early arthritis, a blood/iron disorder, and some other things... all of them genetic or sports injury related... pretty amazing how sports affects you into middle age.

But it's all pretty minor... in then end, I don't think anything has ever made me as happy as my own family does... my wife, kids, home, etc...

we're all going to die... for me, I just hope I leave a good legacy... I just want my kids to be at my bedside saying, "thanks Dad, you did it.. we did it... we are all doing great and your grand kids are off to the best start ever".

I heard a Dad's toast to his daughter, the bride, and it went something like this: May you live to see your children's children grow up to be honorable men and women... yada, yada... always remember, life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"

yeah - I've got that... but my eyes have some other, more serious genetic problems that didn't show up until middle age and could really be a problem in my 70s, 80s.... but, maybe technology will have an solution for it by then... maybe.

For me, 40's was when they started finding stuff wrong with me... blood pressure, joint pain, early arthritis, a blood/iron disorder, and some other things... all of them genetic or sports injury related... pretty amazing how sports affects you into middle age.

But it's all pretty minor... in then end, I don't think anything has ever made me as happy as my own family does... my wife, kids, home, etc... we're all going to die... for me, I just hope I leave a good legacy... I just want my kids to be at my bedside saying, "thanks Dad, you did it.. we did it... we are all doing great and your grand kids are off to the best start ever".

I heard a Dad's toast to his daughter, the bride, and it went something like this: May you live to see your children's children grow up to be honorable men and women... yada, yada... always remember, life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain"

That's a beautiful quote.

I read that story about your dad giving you a bra and I want to punch him... that's half (or more than half) the reason you're over weight and struggling mentally... what a dooosh.

Sorry you had to deal with that.

And the back nine usually sucks.

Turned 43 couple weeks ago. Hardest part about getting older isnt that you cant open new doors for yourself....its that certain doors wont ever open again.

Turned fitty a couple months ago. Last winter I played probably my last game of basketball, and knew it at the time. Sh!tty day.

I guess the "storm to pass" part hits home for me... with a wife, young kids, house, career, etc... I often feel like every day is a sh!t storm of stuff going wrong... all I do all day is solve someone else's problem/crisis... at work, at home, etc... but, you've gotta' learn to dance in the rain.

I preach to my kids about decision making.... you've gotta' make good decisions... sounds easy... but when you're stressed, tired, angry, or afraid... that's when you'll make bad decisions... and then I look at myself... almost always in some state of stressed, tired, angry, or afraid... but you've gotta hold it together, make good decisions, dance in the rain.

I read that story about your dad giving you a bra and I want to punch him... that's half (or more than half) the reason you're over weight and struggling mentally... what a dooosh.

It hurt, and I think now he'd say that was a horrible thing to do. But they were trying to help.

Before That, they had a system where I got paid to exercise. So much per mile run, things like that.

I guess he was trying to shock me into change. It didn't work and was misguided obviously.

• Like 1

I dealt with a ton of bad stuff with my parents.

Nothing like that.

I guess the "storm to pass" part hits home for me... with a wife, young kids, house, career, etc... I often feel like every day is a sh!t storm of stuff going wrong... all I do all day is solve someone else's problem/crisis... at work, at home, etc... but, you've gotta' learn to dance in the rain.

I preach to my kids about decision making.... you've gotta' make good decisions... sounds easy... but when you're stressed, tired, angry, or afraid... that's when you'll make bad decisions... and then I look at myself... almost always in some state of stressed, tired, angry, or afraid... but you've gotta hold it together, make good decisions, dance in the rain.

I hear ya. I often get lost in the little sh!t that doesn't matter.

If I had kids, and I won't, I would tell them to figure out something they love to do, and do it. Worry about how to make it pay later. And don't ever give a god damn what anyone, including me, thought.

It hurt, and I think now he'd say that was a horrible thing to do. But they were trying to help.

Before That, they had a system where I got paid to exercise. So much per mile run, things like that.

I guess he was trying to shock me into change. It didn't work and was misguided obviously.

This is the Geek Club - what was your can size?? :unsure: