Sign in to follow this  
mobb_deep

Calvin Johnson on Madden 2013 Cover

swell

:cry:

Ruh Roh! Don't like this at all, as a Lions fan and Megatron owner!

https://twitter.com/#!/paulapasche/status/195269833301049344

@paulapasche

#Lions Calvin Johnson wins — he’s on the cover of Madden 13. Beats out Cam Newton. 20 million fans voted. #cursebedamned

As stupid as it sounds, this is very newsworthy, I'll be staying away from Megatron this year.

The Madden Curse is stupid, right? I mean, it can't be real, can it? It'd be absurd to downgrade a player based on a supposed video game curse, wouldn't it?

Well, wouldn't it???

:unsure:

Calvin Johnson breaks the madden curse and scores a NFL record 24 tds. :shocking:

I sure hope...

but to be honest as a calvin fan and owner there was that moment where I prayed he wouldnt get it.. I thought maybe Gronk (i hate the pats)

This is great news for Carolina Panther fans!@#! It was between him and Cam Newton. Our season is saved. :pointstosky:

I'm waiting on Titus Young! :)

Titus just moved up my draft board.

I didn't believe in the Madden Curse.

Then I drafted Hillis early last year.

Madden Curse is real.

Megatron already has injury issues. He's doomed.

I didn't believe in the Madden Curse.

Then I drafted Hillis early last year.

Madden Curse is real.

Megatron already has injury issues. He's doomed.

Writing was on the wall for Hillis. He was a DND for me last year with where he was going.

Does anyone have a list of say the last 5-10 madden cover winners and what happened to them?

I'd like to not believe in the curse and I have every intention of drafting Lions next year if possible.

Does anyone have a list of say the last 5-10 madden cover winners and what happened to them?

copy/paste from the following link...

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/sports/football/browns/is-the-madden-curse-real-lets-look-at-the-history

2011: New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees. Had a strong season individually, but the Saints were upset by the Seahawks in the first round of the playoffs and failed to defend their Super Bowl title.

2010: Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu/ Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald. Polamalu only played five games because on lingering knee injures and the Steelers missed the playoffs a year after winning the Super Bowl. Fitzgerald still hada strong season, collecting over 1,000 receiving yards and 13 touchdowns.

2009: Brett Favre. He was traded to the New York Jets after an off-season battle with the Green Bay Packers, following his retirement, then un-retirement. He started strong, but faded down the stretch and the Jets failed to make the playoffs. His final three seasons were inconsistent and he also went through off-the-field issues.

2008: Tennessee Titans running back Vince Young. He led the Titans to their first playoff appearance in four years, but has fallen out of favor with the franchise since that season. The organization plans to cut or trade Young once the lockout is lifted.

2007: Seattle Seahawks running back Shaun Alexander. A fractured foot hobbled Alexander, the reigning MVP, throughout the season and he missed six games. His production declined and he never returned to his MVP-form.

2006: Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb. He missed seven games during the season after dealing with a sports hernia. He failed to make the Pro-Bowl for the first time in five seasons and has not been invited since. McNabb also battled with wideout Terrell Owens throughout the season.

2005: Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis. A broken wrist caused him to miss one game during the season, and it was also his first year without an interception.

2004: Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick. He broke his leg in a pre-season game one day after the game was released and missed 11 games that season. He then had a few off-the-field issues in the years that followed.

2003: St. Louis Rams running back Marshall Faulk. He was hampered by an ankle injury all season, and failed to match his production from previous seasons. His decline started after appearing on the Madden cover and he never rushed for 1,000 yards again.

2002: Minnesota Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper. Struggled all season, and had his season cut short with knee surgery after 11 games. The Vikings were 4-7 at that point.

2001: Tennessee Titans running back Eddie George. He had a great season, but fumbled at a clutch point in the playoffs, which led to the top-seeded Titans losing to the Baltimore Ravens in the first round.

2000: Detroit running back Barry Sanders. He unexpectedly retired one week before training came by sending a fax to the team.

The writing is on the wall. Just got paid, is on the cover and plays in Detroit. As a long time Lion fan(??) I am not looking forward to this season.

Writing was on the wall for Hillis. He was a DND for me last year with where he was going.

I'd like to not believe in the curse and I have every intention of drafting Lions next year if possible.

I agree, but I couldn't pass him up at the end of the 3rd round. I had a feeling he'd be off in 2011, but it had nothing to do with Madden.

You get on the cover because you had a career year the previous season. There's no place to go but down.

You get on the cover because you had a career year the previous season. There's no place to go but down.

True. The other thing I noticed is that a lot of the guys on the cover were near the tail-end of their prime years. CJ should be right in the middle of his.

It looks like Brees already broke the curse last year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/26/brees-confirms-his-in-season-knee-injury/

Brees had a knee injury that year. Wasn't enough of an injury to miss games but you could tell something was wrong. He set an individual record for turnovers that year also.

It's a fan vote these days so not really. Newton could have won but i wouldn't say he can only go down after just his rookie year

I'm not saying I believe in the curse. But I do own Megatron in my dynasty league and I did vote for Newton to win the cover.

:unsure:

I'm not saying I believe the curse, but in a keeper league where I can keep 2, I own Megatron at fair value, McCoy at fair value and Newton dirt cheap. I was already leaning toward cam and shady, but this madden news seals it.

I'm not saying I believe in the curse, but you won't see me on a tandem bicycle with Megatron anytime soon. Just saying.

I'm not saying I believe in the curse, but I'm passing on that gig as Calvin's official taste tester.

I'm not saying I believe in the curse, but I see any black guys on the sidewalk, I'm crossing the street.

I first encountered the curse in 2003 when I was fortunate to draft Faulk & once again in 2007 when I drafted Shaun Alexander. The worst part of the Alexander curse was I had a trade offer of LT in that league prior to the season beginning. I'm sure everyone remembers LT's 2007 season!?!?!

That being said, I'm a firm believer in the Madden Curse. But if Calvin is sitting there @ reasonable value in the 1st round in any of my drafts, it's gonna be tough not to announce his name.

So upsetting... I'm really rooting for him to break the curse... If anyone could do it it's him.. but it may not even be possible lol

good luck Calvin!! :thumbsup:

So upsetting... I'm really rooting for him to break the curse... If anyone could do it it's him.. but it may not even be possible lol

good luck Calvin!! :thumbsup:

amen! :thumbsup:

Note that the only other Wide Receiver to appear on the cover of Madden was Larry Fitzgerald on Madden 10, and the curse didn't seem to affect his performance or fantasy points. Perhaps receivers are immune to the curse. Or maybe all of the curse went to Polamalu for the shared cover.