Sign in to follow this  
Giants Fan

UPDATORED! I think I own a 1968 428 Cobra Jet motor

Ok, so I have this Mercury convertible project. I had a dream. I wanted to make it a Super Marauder 428 car. Then I found this guy on Craigslist, he's some Phd student at ASU that moved to Phoenix from California. He had an original Q Code Mercury 4 door. Saw it on Craigslist, reduced down to $1900. Advertised as having a freshly rebuilt 428 in it. I don't mess around. I called the guy before I left Seattle and I said, "I'll give you $1500 cash for the car when I get back." We agreed, and within a week after I got back (over 2 months ago) I drove up and gave him the cash and he said the title was being re-isued and should arrive "any day". We got the car down to Tucson and my mechanic pulls the motor and says, "Uh .... this is a 390. Exactly the same as the motor in the convertible."

I'm still not sure he's right, apparently it's really hard to tell the difference. We will be inspecting the crank soon, and then I'll know .... but what if it is a 390? I'll admit, I thought I was stealing the car at that price .... but I also thought there was a title, AND a 428 in the car. Misrepresentation. And that means I should be made "whole". As if it never happened. So legally, here's what I think I am entitled to.

The return of my $1500

The $650 in labor to pay my mechanic to swap in the SAME engine

The $150 in parts (trans fluid, oil, gaskets, seals)

The $50 I paid in towing

And he can come get the car, because with no engine and no title, I can't sell it.

So, I'm a reasonable guy. What's reasonable? If it's not a 428 ... I think pretty much I ask for my money back, and tell him he can keep the title if it ever comes, and I wont sue him for misrepresentation. I'll try and part out the car for the remaining $850 it cost me.

Ok, so I have this Mercury convertible project. I had a dream. I wanted to make it a Super Marauder 428 car. Then I found this guy on Craigslist, he's some Phd student at ASU that moved to Phoenix from California. He had an original Q Code Mercury 4 door. Saw it on Craigslist, reduced down to $1900. Advertised as having a freshly rebuilt 428 in it. I don't mess around. I called the guy before I left Seattle and I said, "I'll give you $1500 cash for the car when I get back." We agreed, and within a week after I got back (over 2 months ago) I drove up and gave him the cash and he said the title was being re-isued and should arrive "any day". We got the car down to Tucson and my mechanic pulls the motor and says, "Uh .... this is a 390. Exactly the same as the motor in the convertible."

I'm still not sure he's right, apparently it's really hard to tell the difference. We will be inspecting the crank soon, and then I'll know .... but what if it is a 390? I'll admit, I thought I was stealing the car at that price .... but I also thought there was a title, AND a 428 in the car. Misrepresentation. And that means I should be made "whole". As if it never happened. So legally, here's what I think I am entitled to.

The return of my $1500

The $650 in labor to pay my mechanic to swap in the SAME engine

The $150 in parts (trans fluid, oil, gaskets, seals)

The $50 I paid in towing

And he can come get the car, because with no engine and no title, I can't sell it.

So, I'm a reasonable guy. What's reasonable? If it's not a 428 ... I think pretty much I ask for my money back, and tell him he can keep the title if it ever comes, and I wont sue him for misrepresentation. I'll try and part out the car for the remaining $850 it cost me.

Whats the return policy?

Did you save your receipt? If you did, you will get your cash back and Iam sure he will agree to your other demands.

If you didnt keep the receipt, expect a gift card or a store credit.

I bought a doughnut, and they gave me a receipt. When will I ever need to prove I bought a doughnut? Some skeptical friend: "Hey man! Don't you even act like I didn't buy this doughnut! I have the receipt... damn ... I forgot it... at home... in the filing cabinet... under D... for doughnut.

I bought a doughnut, and they gave me a receipt. When will I ever need to prove I bought a doughnut? Some skeptical friend: "Hey man! Don't you even act like I didn't buy this doughnut! I have the receipt... damn ... I forgot it... at home... in the filing cabinet... under D... for doughnut.

Man you butchered that about as badly as the prostitute last night....

Man you butchered that about as badly as the prostitute last night....

close enough

“I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughnut. I don’t need a receipt for a doughnut. I’ll give you the money, you give me the doughnut…end of transaction. We do not need to bring ink and paper into this. I just cannot imagine a scenario where I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. Some skeptical friend: “Don’t even act like I didn’t get that doughnut…I got the documentation right here! (pause) Oh wait, it’s back home in the file under ‘D’ for doughnut.” ‘Cuz we all know what ‘D’ is.

~mitch hedberg

close enough

“I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughnut. I don’t need a receipt for a doughnut. I’ll give you the money, you give me the doughnut…end of transaction. We do not need to bring ink and paper into this. I just cannot imagine a scenario where I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. Some skeptical friend: “Don’t even act like I didn’t get that doughnut…I got the documentation right here! (pause) Oh wait, it’s back home in the file under ‘D’ for doughnut.” ‘Cuz we all know what ‘D’ is.

~mitch hedberg

I must have copied and pasted from the wrong site. :thumbsup:

But I still am not going to apologize.

Is there a way to tell the difference between a 428 block, and make sure it's not a 390 block bored to 428?

Yes. Pull the heads, and measure NOT THE BORE ... but the space between cylinders. If it's a 428 block it will be thicker between cylinders than a bored 390. But I think I have enough evidence ... it's a 1968 428 Cobra Jet that was rebuilt, and used in a 428 Mercury that was an original Q code car. That's based on the information I have. I have not pulled the heads.

If the crank is from a 428, then it's a 428. Makes no sense to put in an original 428 crank into a bored out 390. For that, you'd just buy a new stroker crank. Relax francis, it's a 428 CJ

What's that motor worth? I'd say about $35.00 I paid $1500 for the car.

fixed

fixed

agreed. 428 CJ engines aren't all that expensive, even if they're rebuilt. He MIGHT get $1,000 for it, but it would have to be rebuilt and in perfect working condition. If he thinks he's gonna take a 428 and just pull it from a car and turn a profit on it, he's smoking crack. Not rebuilt, I'd say he MIGHT get $300-400 max for it.

Now, if he wants to sink $15,000 into a rebuild, then he could probably get $12,000-14,000 for it.

You have no idea what you are talking about. The Mercury 410 Marauder engine is a 390 with a 428 crank. Factory stroker engine.

A 1U crank by itself is worth $500+

This engine has less than 1,000 miles on it since rebuild. But it's not worth $10k. More like $3500.

You have no idea what you are talking about. The Mercury 410 Marauder engine is a 390 with a 428 crank. Factory stroker engine.

A 1U crank by itself is worth $500+

This engine has less than 1,000 miles on it since rebuild. But it's not worth $10k. More like $3500.

Mebbe in make believe land it is. :doh:

and now it's time for me to have a GFIAFP moment...

How the fock do I have 1300 posts?

I swear a few years ago on the main board in celebration of my 1000th post I asked if the Broncos would have made the playoffs if Shanarat hadn't pulled Plummer for Cutler with 6 games left...???

300 posts in 3 years?

That's crazy, that's like one every 3 days?

Sweet eBay find!

I saw a pair of emblems on ebay that were 1964 Marauder emblems. Said "Marauder" and had a checkered flag. Well over $100. I got these for $36.

I've never seen emblems like these. They are PERFECT for my custom Mercury Super Marauder.

Sweet eBay find!

I saw a pair of emblems on ebay that were 1964 Marauder emblems. Said "Marauder" and had a checkered flag. Well over $100. I got these for $36.

I've never seen emblems like these. They are PERFECT for my custom Mercury Super Marauder.

Like your bullshit engine, it isn't worth what you think it's worth if you can get it for 1/3 the price.

Those emblems, they aren't worth $100 if they can be had for $36. They are actually worth $36.

Wow, logic really does escape you!

How the fock do I have 1300 posts?

I swear a few years ago on the main board in celebration of my 1000th post I asked if the Broncos would have made the playoffs if Shanarat hadn't pulled Plummer for Cutler with 6 games left...???

300 posts in 3 years?

That's crazy, that's like one every 3 days?

We would have made the playoffs. Not sure if we'd have won it all that year, but we would have made the playoffs.

We really need to remember that this year with Tebow. Don't be knee jerk about it and yank Orton for Tebow if we have a crazy good record, just because the coach doesn't "think we'll win in the playoffs". I'd rather have the chance in the playoffs than pack it in for the season and not even have the chance.

Like your bullshit engine, it isn't worth what you think it's worth if you can get it for 1/3 the price.

Those emblems, they aren't worth $100 if they can be had for $36. They are actually worth $36.

Wow, logic really does escape you!

It's yet to be seen. All I know is I was looking for some 428 emblems with checkered flags, and these are perfect. I THINK .... and I could be wrong, they are for a Mercury S55 Super Marauder, NOS. Maybe only worth $36, but perfect for my application.

Find me another pair ..... at any price.

It takes forever to cook a baked potato in a conventional oven. Sometimes, I'll just throw one in there, even if I don't want one. By the time it's done, who knows?

It takes forever to cook a baked potato in a conventional oven. Sometimes, I'll just throw one in there, even if I don't want one. By the time it's done, who knows?

:first: