Sign in to follow this  
Fireballer

Today's my birthday, how old is everyone/vs how old do you feel?

Im 42 today. I dont feel that old. A little arthritis in my hands and a back that gets a little tight. I still average 275ish with a golf drive, can deadlift 405, and get good morning wood. Age is just a number.

Happy birfday! I turn 50 in a month but don't feel even 40. I work out as regularly as I can with my work/travel schedule. Plumbing still works great although honestly, first thing in the morning has never been a top choice of mine. Can't deadlift 405 but I never could. :D We did a clean and jerk routine at our gym yesterday; back is a little sore but it is a good sore. No regular aches. :cheers:

I'm 42, feel 35 ish act like a kid around kids but overall am "get of my lawn".

Ha ha, pretty much me too. I dont do social media, pretty much hate people I dont already know, but have a great job, great wife and kids, and am very happy.

• Like 1

Ha ha, pretty much me too. I dont do social media, pretty much hate people I dont already know, but have a great job, great wife and kids, and am very happy.

Like looking into a mirror. Now, fock off. :)

44 and I feel whatever age it is where you take a daily nap, which I do. So I prolly feel like 70.

27 feel 30. :(

And act like a12year old

48, feel 60.

Have beaten myself up over the years.... Back, knee, shoulder, ankles. About to go in for rotator cuff.

Was never into lifting. Workout was always running, pushups, pullups, sittups. Need to get back into some type of routine.

45/45

My on again/off again exercise routine is off again. Weight is coming back.

45/45

My on again/off again exercise routine is off again. Weight is coming back.

What kind of routine do you do when you do it? I need to start doing something to get my svelte figure back.

What kind of routine do you do when you do it? I need to start doing something to get my svelte figure back.

Jump on bodybuilding.com and grab a beginners weightlifting app. They have apps that will tell you what your doing every day, help with eating right, etc... good stuff.

Eat less. Exercise more. Fin'

You absolutely cant go wrong with the original 5/3/1 from Jim Wendler and use body weight for assistance. Its perfect for guys in 30s and 40s trying to get stronger and drop some weight but dont wanna waste a bunch of time in the gym. Use the bodybuilder assistance if you want more mass. 5/3/1 has logical progression which is what 90% of people in a gym lack. I have a power rack and 500 lbs of plates in my garage. Its all you need.

Try 5/3/1 if your goals are anything like mine...

Stay strong, healthy, and hard to kill while in 34" pants and around 190-200 lbs

Keep hitting par 5s in 2 shots on 7000 yd golf courses.

I'm 45, feel a bit younger but have noticed age catching up the last several years. I climb with guys in their 20's and 30's, which makes it readily apparent how much slowly one progresses and how quickly you can get injured keeping active as you get older.

Regarding an exercise routine, I don't think middle age is a time to try to bulk up lifting weights. Forget about the vanity associated with building muscle. Stick with body weight exercises which spare your joints, while emphasizing cardiovascular fitness and flexibility. But most importantly, find something you enjoy. For me, climbing and cycling accomplish most of those goals.

48. Feel like 68.

48, feel 60.

Have beaten myself up over the years.... Back, knee, shoulder, ankles. About to go in for rotator cuff.

Was never into lifting. Workout was always running, pushups, pullups, sittups. Need to get back into some type of routine.

What do you guys share in common?

Regarding an exercise routine, I don't think middle age is a time to try to bulk up lifting weights. Forget about the vanity associated with building muscle. Stick with body weight exercises which spare your joints, while emphasizing cardiovascular fitness and flexibility. But most importantly, find something you enjoy. For me, climbing and cycling accomplish most of those goals.

I would agree with not over doing the weights. Thats why I like 5/3/1 because it almost feels like your not doing enough, but the results speak for themselves. I also like to body weight assistance to maintain flexibility and an athletic feel.

People need to understand that "lifting" doesnt need to mean hitting the gym 2hrs a day for 4 or 5 days. I work out 3 or 4 days a week for about an hour. Theres also lots of info out there supporting barbell excercises for the obese and geriatric. The obese need to lift to maintain lean mass while dropping fat, and geriatrics should lift and move to prevent atrophy. As you said,consistancy with something that works and you enjoy is the key.

I am 42. I started making major health changes about five years ago cause I didn't like where things were headed. I definitely feel better in general now than I did 10 years ago.

What do you guys share in common?

My biggest issue is lack of exercise. I do not drink much these days.

My biggest issue is lack of exercise. I do not drink much these days.

Caloric restriction is way more effective way to a caloric deficit than exercise. Its real hard to outwork a sh!tty diet. Both are important though for overall healthy recomp or weight loss.

Caloric restriction is way more effective way to a caloric deficit than exercise. Its real hard to outwork a sh!tty diet. Both are important though for overall healthy recomp or weight loss.

Amen. At my age one of the biggest differences is in how good my diet needs to be. I used to have a little leeway; now none. Also I travel several days per week, and no matter how good of choices I make, restaurant food is crap (sorry Bier!). I'm 5'11, 175 and could use to lose 10 pounds (small framed).

I'm 5'11, 175 and could use to lose 10 pounds (small framed).

Oh yes jerry you obeast basturd... how can you live with yourself?

I am an inch shorter and a smidge heavier.

52 jacket, 38 waist.

Oh yes jerry you obeast basturd... how can you live with yourself?

I am an inch shorter and a smidge heavier.

52 jacket, 38 waist.

Like I said, I'm small framed. 200 on you is svelte, on me I'm the Pillsbury Dough Boy. Penny poo poos frame type, but it is real. :thumbsup:

Like I said, I'm small framed. 200 on you is svelte, on me I'm the Pillsbury Dough Boy. Penny poo poos frame type, but it is real. :thumbsup:

According to the antiquated BMI says @ 5'10" I'm supposed to be max weight 167 lbs.

I went and did a "Bod Pod" assessment. My lean body weight was 172 lbs, large frame.

According to them my ideal weight is 195-224 lbs. That actually sounds about right.

Im.a smidge under 6 feet. Weigh 222. ( I'm being exact because I just happened to weigh myself this week.)

50s and feel about 35 most of the time. Healthy as a horse other than the fact that my muscles are stronger than my tendons. Particularly my tricep tendons. Ruptured the right one in 2010 and partially tore the left one last year. Two surgeries later, and still getting to the gym 5 times a week. My diet is not ideal as I do not like vegetables. But it is very high protein and low carb/fat. I do have the occasional cheat meal. I am a sucker for bar food. Wings, cheesesteaks, etc. I would love to know how much boneless skinless chicken breast I have eaten in the last 20 years. I go through 5 lb Pax in less than a week. Eggs chicken and tuna with some mixed nuts. That is probably 75% of what I eat.

Over the past 2 years I have dropped 30lbs, all diet. While give in to an occasional craving I eat pretty well throughout the week.

Depends upon the type of restaurant, but many use a decent amount of fat in their cooking. Some are more health conscious than others.

48 feel like 58. Tired of being tired. Tried to run again. Nope. Tried topower cut the grass in a time limit. Nope. Getting older has its limitations. Very hard to come to grasps with.

. I'm 5'11, 175 and could use to lose 10 pounds (small C0CK ).

TMI dude

TMI dude

Cmon man, I post at FFT, that isn't a Pringles can in my pants. :cheers:

Cmon man, I post at FFT, that isn't a Pringles can in my pants. :cheers:

:lol: