Sign in to follow this  
Fireballer

Today's my birthday, how old is everyone/vs how old do you feel?

Tendonitis is no joke Jerry! :angry: I know how to lift right. Sometimes it just flares up.

Im personally obsessed with the concept and science of placebos. A lot of things are fake or all in the mind. But Id side with the pain having flare ups being a real thing.

We've been through this multiple times, but I'll summarize: Some pain is "all in your head", but some isn't. I know your engineering brain wants a binary on/off solution, but the body is far more complex. Subtle things can make back and other types of pain flare up - I've experienced this myself, and worked through it with exercise and rarely non-opioid analgesics. Didn't focus on my inner psyche at all, yet the pain went away...if Sarno is correct, how is that possible? Also, why do these problems tend to crop up as we get older - do we become more vulnerable to stress as we age?

And noticed I said NON-opioid analgesics. Percs, etc. are not good choices for chronic, waxing/waning conditions like musculoskeletal pain. Just because some doctors have sh!tty prescribing habits, don't assume I do: I haven't prescribed those types of meds for chronic MSK pain in well over a decade.

It's great that Sarno's self help strategy works for you and your wife. It might work for FBN as well. But he should consider it after trying conventional therapy, or try a multimodal approach. But your poo-pooing the pain isn't likely to gain his trust in your alternative, non-scientifically validated methods.

ETA Your wife is right.

I find it hilarious that you associate my engineering mind with binary on/off solutions. The concept of Sarno is a complex, holistic interaction between the mind and body, way more complex than the idea that your injury is healed today but miraculously back tomorrow. Meanwhile you are the most scientific, binary person on this site and it isn't close. I think you do a double blind study before you decide to poop.

I know injuries happen, I've had plenty. But tendinitis, tennis elbow, plantar fasciitis, a lot of back pain... a whole lot of that is just false. But our medical culture is to just prescribe pain meds (not you personally, sorry for the assumption).

He can try your therapy which I presume has some marginal improvement in symptoms. He can also read this book and spend a few days internalizing it. :thumbsup:

Tendonitis is no joke Jerry! :angry: I know how to lift right. Sometimes it just flares up.

Knowing how to lift right further reinforces my point. :dunno:

You will have to pry my percs from my cold dead hands.

48. Feel like 68.

Jeez. That was a year ago. Feel a little better now but I fvcked up my shoulder again and I am limited to certain activities-

Keto diet has done wonders.

Need to be able to do more in gym then cardio.

• Like 1

50 Feel like 40. If you asked me this question last year I'd have said 60. Feel better than I have in years.

• Like 1

I find it hilarious that you associate my engineering mind with binary on/off solutions. The concept of Sarno is a complex, holistic interaction between the mind and body, way more complex than the idea that your injury is healed today but miraculously back tomorrow. Meanwhile you are the most scientific, binary person on this site and it isn't close. I think you do a double blind study before you decide to poop.

I know injuries happen, I've had plenty. But tendinitis, tennis elbow, plantar fasciitis, a lot of back pain... a whole lot of that is just false. But our medical culture is to just prescribe pain meds (not you personally, sorry for the assumption).

He can try your therapy which I presume has some marginal improvement in symptoms. He can also read this book and spend a few days internalizing it. :thumbsup:

Knowing how to lift right further reinforces my point. :dunno:

Requiring evidence <> dichotomous thinking. Not understanding there is a continuum of health and disease, including those which cause pain, while singing the praises of “mind over body” holistic practice is unscientific at the minimum. As reading a book is a benign intervention, I have no problem with it, but calling people’s pain false serves no constructive purpose.

51. Many 1967 babies here.

Feel my age. Need to start lifting again and lose 15. 5'10 , 193. Drink too much. Don't eat a ton, but have bad habits. Still play baseball, and summer softball, would like to get back decent shape and take a run at being close to the player I was in my 30's.

Tendonitis is no joke Jerry!

Man, you aren't kidding.. Mine started up, out of the blue, about 2 years ago.. I have it in both wrist - never know which one is going to hurt when I wake up... Yea it's painful, but it's mostly annoying.

What are you doing differently?

Had that surgery last spring and feeling great.

Played 27 holes on Saturday in 100+ degree Heat Index temps.

Softball doubleheader yesterday in same weather.

I am 50 and feel like I am about 150 today.

45/45

My on again/off again exercise routine is off again. Weight is coming back.

On again and now 46/46.

Need the gut to decline.

the goal is always to get my BMI down into 'normal' range. What happens with me is, if I'm losing weight and all my relevant numbers are going up or down depending on what's good or bad, I'm happy. I like seeing improvement. But then, when I hit a plateau and I go a couple of weeks and I'm not getting any better and my weight gets stuck and stops going down, I get discouraged.

I want to get my weight down to <175 or so but invariably, I get stuck at 193. Focking 193. I can get there, but every time I get there, I never see 192. Then I give up and balloon up over 200+ again until my pants start to barely fit, at which point I start trying again.

Played 27 holes on Saturday in 100+ degree Heat Index temps.

Softball doubleheader yesterday in same weather.

I am 50 and feel like I am about 150 today.

:thumbsup: Girl friend's birthday was Saturday. Went out Friday, Saturday and Sunday and played 18 Sunday in 100 degree weather.

I am 49 and feel like I am about 149 today.

• Like 1

48, feel 60.

Have beaten myself up over the years.... Back, knee, shoulder, ankles. About to go in for rotator cuff.

Was never into lifting. Workout was always running, pushups, pullups, sittups. Need to get back into some type of routine.

Feeling a little better. The surgery last year did not help the way I was hoping for. The weight loss and stretching has helped my back a bit.

All weekend I felt like a kid again, watching and cheering my sons play in their respective baseball tournaments. These are some of the the best days of their lives, and they don't even know it.

When it was all over at 5 pm yesterday, I felt like an old man who'd missed his afternoon nap.

After a shower and some dinner, we all watched a movie, then my wife put the kids to bed before I gave the her the high hard one. Feeling like a 20 yr old stud, I had 2 glasses of wine and promptly passed out.

This morning, I definitely feel 54.

On again and now 46/46.

Need the gut to decline.

the goal is always to get my BMI down into 'normal' range. What happens with me is, if I'm losing weight and all my relevant numbers are going up or down depending on what's good or bad, I'm happy. I like seeing improvement. But then, when I hit a plateau and I go a couple of weeks and I'm not getting any better and my weight gets stuck and stops going down, I get discouraged.

I want to get my weight down to <175 or so but invariably, I get stuck at 193. Focking 193. I can get there, but every time I get there, I never see 192. Then I give up and balloon up over 200+ again until my pants start to barely fit, at which point I start trying again.

If you insist your wife stay ultra thin, how do you reconcile allowing yourself to teeter on the brink of CBFdom?

On again and now 46/46.

Need the gut to decline.

Interesting... back when I drank and ate too much about a decade ago, 193 was my magic number as well. I'm 5'11" and small boned, so 193 was not a good look. But it seemed I just hovered there for years. Eventually I ballooned up to 202 for reasons I don't recall and was like AAARRRGGGHHHHHH$#@! and went down to the 170s, mostly from avoiding useless carbs. :cheers:

If you insist your wife stay ultra thin, how do you reconcile allowing yourself to teeter on the brink of CBFdom?

Interesting... back when I drank and ate too much about a decade ago, 193 was my magic number as well. I'm 5'11" and small boned, so 193 was not a good look. But it seemed I just hovered there for years. Eventually I ballooned up to 202 for reasons I don't recall and was like AAARRRGGGHHHHHH$#@! and went down to the 170s, mostly from avoiding useless carbs. :cheers:

I don't insist. I just long for days gone forever.

We'd talked about cutting carbs before and I'd liked your suggestion so I gave it a go a couple of years back, I couldn't last but three weeks. It just won't work for me. I was miserable. For you, you have lots of other food options at your disposal. Me, I hate the food here already and selections are already slim. If I cut carbs, I don't eat.

We'd talked about cutting carbs before and I'd liked your suggestion so I gave it a go a couple of years back, I couldn't last but three weeks. It just won't work for me. I was miserable. For you, you have lots of other food options at your disposal. Me, I hate the food here already and selections are already slim. If I cut carbs, I don't eat.

Is the meat from the market that bad? Or do you just lack the food making ability yourself?

What specifically do you avoid? Which carbohydrates aren't useless?

Is the meat from the market that bad? Or do you just lack the food making ability yourself?

I never learned to cook and I'm too lazy to put in the time/effort to start. I don't know what ingrediants are available but I'm sure I could find them on the internet. It's a real pain in the ass to find cheese/dairy here. Milk / yogurt / ice cream are available but they don't cook anything with it.

Meats can be found, TBBOM disagrees, but I have lower standards. Just so long as no dogs or cats or weird stuff/parts but that can be avoided. They've no concept of how to carve/slice/fillet/remove skin anything, it's all hacked up on a grid through bone or cartridge or fat or whatever. So no identifiable cuts of anything unless it's a chicken head or foot (which again, I don't eat). So I'm constantly spitting out bones and carteledge and bits I don't want in my mouth to begin with which kills my appetite. I don't enjoy the food when I eat out as all the restaurants do this. I prefer to eat at home.

I never learned to cook and I'm too lazy to put in the time/effort to start. I don't know what ingrediants are available but I'm sure I could find them on the internet. It's a real pain in the ass to find cheese/dairy here. Milk / yogurt / ice cream are available but they don't cook anything with it.

Meats can be found, TBBOM disagrees, but I have lower standards. Just so long as no dogs or cats or weird stuff/parts but that can be avoided. They've no concept of how to carve/slice/fillet/remove skin anything, it's all hacked up on a grid through bone or cartridge or fat or whatever. So no identifiable cuts of anything unless it's a chicken head or foot (which again, I don't eat). So I'm constantly spitting out bones and carteledge and bits I don't want in my mouth to begin with which kills my appetite. I don't enjoy the food when I eat out as all the restaurants do this. I prefer to eat at home.

You wife doesn't cook? Might be an opportunity to expand your food choices beyond meat an dairy.

You wife doesn't cook? Might be an opportunity to expand your food choices beyond meat an dairy.

My wife cooks. Fortunately. The only place with food worth eating within two hundred miles of here is my house and Pizza Hut, which is downtown a 50 minute bus ride away.

There is a new western restaurant that opened two months ago so I got excited and went. It should have been my favorite restaurant but the selection was low, it was way expensive, and the food was mediocre/fair so I've not been back there. Anyway, technically, I guess there's that place too.

The two KFCs are Chines-ized but has one item that could sell in the US so I always get the same thing when I go. In the US I would never go to KFC, but I'm a bit desperate and they do have the one chicken-burger I like. There are also two Taiwan steak houses, a chain called Haucaller, that are halfway decent. (TBBOM disagrees but TBBOM has options).

In Guiyang, we had a hotel with great western food. It was really expensive though so I only went there when I was in the mood to splurge. Just one place like that, even overpriced, oh, I'd be so happy. Panzhihua doesn't have any hotels like that. Not a single good restaurant here at all.

My wife cooks. Fortunately. The only place with food worth eating within two hundred miles of here is my house and Pizza Hut, which is downtown a 50 minute bus ride away.

There is a new western restaurant that opened two months ago so I got excited and went. It should have been my favorite restaurant but the selection was low, it was way expensive, and the food was mediocre/fair so I've not been back there. Anyway, technically, I guess there's that place too.

The two KFCs are Chines-ized but has one item that could sell in the US so I always get the same thing when I go. In the US I would never go to KFC, but I'm a bit desperate and they do have the one chicken-burger I like. There are also two Taiwan steak houses, a chain called Haucaller, that are halfway decent. (TBBOM disagrees but TBBOM has options).

In Guiyang, we had a hotel with great western food. It was really expensive though so I only went there when I was in the mood to splurge. Just one place like that, even overpriced, oh, I'd be so happy. Panzhihua doesn't have any hotels like that. Not a single good restaurant here at all.

Tell her to get better at cooking I guess. Maybe add more seasoning.

Tell her to get better at cooking I guess. Maybe add more seasoning.

That sounds like a win-win:

1. It will keep him away from the Western restaurants he craves, most of which sound like sh!tty fast food. Home prepped food will likely be healthier and help him lose weight.

2. Cooking will distract wifey from berating the kids.

I assume Chinese culture is far more traditional regarding gender roles. Volty, how would your wife react to increased cooking duties?

Yeah, cutting carbs married to a Chinese chick would be tough.

Why?

Rice, I assume. But despite the trendiness of carbohydrate demonization, there are over a billion rice-eaters over there, and few are fat. Many of them have been introduced to the "Western diet".

Rice, I assume. But despite the trendiness of carbohydrate demonization, there are over a billion rice-eaters over there, and few are fat. Many of them have been introduced to the "Western diet".

I assumed rice would be a part of it, but most Asians are rice eaters and they aren't fat.

What specifically do you avoid? Which carbohydrates aren't useless?

Bread, pasta, beer, potatoes, rice. Sugary drinks of course but I never really drank them.

We do eat a bunch of high-fiber veggies and legumes. :thumbsup:

ETA: Also fruit although not usually at dinner.

Example dinner from this past weekend: Clams in garlic and butter with chick peas. Yummmmm.....

I assumed rice would be a part of it, but most Asians are rice eaters and they aren't fat.

How long has their culture had rice? Looong time... adversly.. Native Anericans in general can't process carbs like that. The people's genetics make a difference.

How long has their culture had rice? Looong time... adversly.. Native Anericans in general can't process carbs like that. The people's genetics make a difference.

I was thinking of that. So to become a fat Asian, they have to eat a massive quantity of carbs?

I was thinking of that. So to become a fat Asian, they have to eat a massive quantity of carbs?

They are genetically adapted to high carb.. what they suck at is fat. Their diet didn't have a ton of it for a long long time. So.. add KFC.. 'Merica sized asians...

Oh Christmas. Sh!tty food comes in all flavors and macronutrient composition. Highly processed sugary and fatty foods are both bad. So are ginormous portion sizes and low activity level for the general population.

Obesity isn’t solely about carbohydrate intake. Whole grain breads, pastas and brown rice aren’t the debbil, nor are fruits and legumes. Lard, dairy and piles of meat aren’t good for you in the long term either.

Asians don’t have some secret gene which allows them to eat unhealthy food (aka the Western diet) and not gain weight. I eat plenty of carbohydrates and have maintained my college weight for almost 30 years.

Bread, pasta, beer, potatoes, rice. Sugary drinks of course but I never really drank them.

We do eat a bunch of high-fiber veggies and legumes. :thumbsup:

ETA: Also fruit although not usually at dinner.

Example dinner from this past weekend: Clams in garlic and butter with chick peas. Yummmmm.....

I thought legumes were on the bad food list, at least as far as ketogenic diets are concerned?