Sign in to follow this  
TD Ryan2

NFL TV Ratings Down Sharply

Its sad. Our first league... i was in high school... im 50 now. The rules were so crazy. Draft 2 of each... no waivers. Every 4 weeks supplemental draft. If both guys hurt.. was an empty slot till sup draft. So many evolutions of rules and scoring. League core of 7 stayed together since this past year. Entry fee never changed... 25 dollars lol. We used to have a golf day.. 18 holes then draft in clubhouse... then scramble another 9. Those were the days.

Getting old sucks

My 1st league was 1990. we had 12 people.

We used a deck of cards to select draft order.

We drafted by each position.

Drafted QB, then redrew cards and then RB and redrew cards.

Same kid got number 1 for QB and QR

Montana and Rice

Stated in 93. We still use cards today to select draft position based on last year's finish. Lowest team gets most cards..basically a NBA Lottery system.

Our commissioner used to tally the scores and send out a mailer. Of course one of the things was to think of a team name.

I went for Michigan Militia. Just thought it sounded OK. So every week I would get a letter sent to me addressed to Michigan Militia c/o Supermike.

This was before the whole Oklahoma CIty bombing. I am absolutely positive the Feds took a peek into my life based on that.

The days of having to wait till the Monday morning paper to tally the scores

USA today or fock off

USA today or fock off

Nope.

The National > all else

Sure it may have only been 1 year, but it was the best by far for box scores.

USA today or fock off

I was commissioner for our league. On my honeymoon was running around trying to find a decent newspaper.

USA today or fock off

I agree USA today had all the info I needed. Including 4th down stops for defense and 4th down conversion for the 1 coach position in my old leagues.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/06/thursday-night-football-gets-strong-rating-on-cbs-nfl-network/

:dunno:

Thursday night’s Patriots-Buccaneers game generated a strong rating for CBS and NFL Network.

The game had a combined 11.1 overnight rating, up 26 percent from the Thursday night game in Week Five of last season, which also aired on both CBS and NFL Network.

Apples-to-apples year-to-year comparisons of Thursday Night Football ratings are a little difficult because the league makes changes about which games air exclusively on NFL Network and which games are also on a broadcast network, either CBS or NBC. But generally speaking, Thursday night ratings this year are up, when comparing NFL Network-only games this year to NFL Network-only games last year, and when comparing broadcast network games this year to broadcast network games last year.

There’s been much hand-wringing about NFL ratings over the last two years, but there’s little doubt that the NFL remains the most-watched programming on American television.

Remember when MASH was the most watched?

Why didn't they get billions?

anyway, I didn't watch that rubbish

Almost all programming has new episodes maybe once a week. The NFL broadcasts 5-7 games a week so it should be the most watched. What many seem to be overlooking is that if you have a small leak in your tire, radiator, etc. you dont wait until it ruptures to fix it. The NFL is losing ratings and it should not be ignored, once people leave the majority will not go back.

They are now counting bars and restaurants in their ratings. Sad

NFL rating are still down but Dallas fans are still keep this from being a disaster. And thiese numbers are down from last year when the election caused the viewership to drop.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nfl-tv-ratings-viewership-nbc-cbs-fox-espn-nfln-regular-season-playoffs/

Our Sunday kickoff tee time for 2 from last year is now a group of 2 foursomes. It is getting crowded out there and I don’t like it!

Might be too late for the NFL.

https://i.redd.it/w5d26cbmazqz.png

Why the NFL gets tax breaks and allowed to break antitrust laws is beyond me. They have screwed over cities time and time again.

BOSTON (CBS) — For most of the 2016 season, the NFL largely blamed the U.S. presidential election for a decline in TV ratings. But with the league’s numbers down another 7.5 percent so far in 2017, amid a growing backlash to players’ national anthem protests, the owners are finally taking the ratings decline seriously.

Nielsen reported earlier this week that the NFL’s TV ratings were down by 7.5 percent compared to the first six weeks of the 2016 season. But numbers reported to the owners at the meeting were even more alarming.

Twenty-five of 31 NFL teams (excluding the Chargers) are experiencing local declines in ratings, including an 8 percent drop for the Patriots, 7 percent for the Cowboys, and 6 percent for the Steelers. Only the Chiefs, Buccaneers, and Lions are up by more than 5 percent.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/10/19/nfl-tv-ratings-decline-owners-meeting/

BOSTON (CBS) — For most of the 2016 season, the NFL largely blamed the U.S. presidential election for a decline in TV ratings. But with the league’s numbers down another 7.5 percent so far in 2017, amid a growing backlash to players’ national anthem protests, the owners are finally taking the ratings decline seriously.

Nielsen reported earlier this week that the NFL’s TV ratings were down by 7.5 percent compared to the first six weeks of the 2016 season. But numbers reported to the owners at the meeting were even more alarming.

Twenty-five of 31 NFL teams (excluding the Chargers) are experiencing local declines in ratings, including an 8 percent drop for the Patriots, 7 percent for the Cowboys, and 6 percent for the Steelers. Only the Chiefs, Buccaneers, and Lions are up by more than 5 percent.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/10/19/nfl-tv-ratings-decline-owners-meeting/

:banana: Lions!!!! I haven't watched since week 3 (I think). Don't worry as they continue to lose those ratings will drop.

:banana: Lions!!!! I haven't watched since week 3 (I think). Don't worry as they continue to lose those ratings will drop.

Yep...And they will continue to lose.

Football, and sports in general is ENTERTAINMENT. Period.

It's just one way humans take a break from the bullsh1t of daily life.

If your beer company started putting political statements on it's products, less people would buy it.

I don't know if it's Goodell's fault, politics, or maybe because today's youth aren't as interested in 'macho' sports and competition in general (elaborate on your own as to why that would be), but I know I don't enjoy watching it as much anymore.

I used to get up at 7 or 8am on Sunday and scour the channels for anything football related. I'd be on the phone to our commissioner twice before 10am for drop/adds.

I'd watch football all day, watch ESPN NFL Primetime until I saw all the scores and highlights. Then I'd watch the local news at night to recap the Vikes games.

It's just not as exciting anymore.

• Like 2

I myself blame the patriots. Pretty much 90% of the fan bases know there teams have no shot, especially those with hopes of taking the AFC.

It has to be demoralizing. :(

Football, and sports in general is ENTERTAINMENT. Period.

It's just one way humans take a break from the bullsh1t of daily life.

If your beer company started putting political statements on it's products, less people would buy it.

I don't know if it's Goodell's fault, politics, or maybe because today's youth aren't as interested in 'macho' sports and competition in general (elaborate on your own as to why that would be), but I know I don't enjoy watching it as much anymore.

I used to get up at 7 or 8am on Sunday and scour the channels for anything football related. I'd be on the phone to our commissioner twice before 10am for drop/adds.

I'd watch football all day, watch ESPN NFL Primetime until I saw all the scores and highlights. Then I'd watch the local news at night to recap the Vikes games.

It's just not as exciting anymore.

Were getting old. :(

I myself blame the patriots. Pretty much 90% of the fan bases know there teams have no shot, especially those with hopes of taking the AFC.

It has to be demoralizing. :(

Ha

games like this one don't help.... you have to call face masks, but early on there was no flow due to all of the calls.

games like this one don't help.... you have to call face masks, but early on there was no flow due to all of the calls.

I hate bad calls but you can only blame the players for those 2.

Great business model by the NFL. Cater to the 10% or less of players who want to do this sh!t instead of catering to the customers. They'd better put a tourniquet on this (make a rule to stand) before too many folks get used to doing something else on Sundays.

Great business model by the NFL. Cater to the 10% or less of players who want to do this sh!t instead of catering to the customers. They'd better put a tourniquet on this (make a rule to stand) before too many folks get used to doing something else on Sundays.

It is 11 guys. About 1%. If the league puts in a rule to prevent it, then that number goes up. They have to manage this, but not squash it.

Ratings went down even more last year before the kneeling. Their 4 shows are 4 of the top 8 series on TV by ratings. Ratings are down for many top shows (Big Bang, Walking Dead, etc.)

• Like 1

It is 11 guys. About 1%. If the league puts in a rule to prevent it, then that number goes up. They have to manage this, but not squash it.

Ratings went down even more last year before the kneeling. Their 4 shows are 4 of the top 8 series on TV by ratings. Ratings are down for many top shows (Big Bang, Walking Dead, etc.)

The ratings are down FROM last year so it's getting worse since the kneeling. And it's more than 11 guys. Didn't the whole Saints team kneel Sunday? I think so and it was bad timing as a plane was flying overhead to honor a fallen police officer.

The ratings are down FROM last year so it's getting worse since the kneeling. And it's more than 11 guys. Didn't the whole Saints team kneel Sunday? I think so and it was bad timing as a plane was flying overhead to honor a fallen police officer.

They didn't. Please post this dribble. We lost a good man last week. They love our men in blue. I'll bet you a weeks salary to any charity of your choice that this didn't happen. Shut up and sit down.

Prove me wrong fawk head.

Ratings are down from last year, but they were down MORE last year (compared to previous year).

Wrong on the entire Saints kneeling.

One of the guys working with Goodell is Doug Baldwin. He is the son of a cop and he thinks the discussion needs to happen.

Wrong.

One of the guys working with Goodell is Doug Baldwin. He is the son of a cop and he thinks the discussion needs to happen.

What part of what I posted was wrong? That they knelt (the whole team or the majority of it)?

I don't care who is working with Goddell and what he thinks. He's not the focking customer; I AM.

You don't cater to the employees when it impacts the bottom line unless you're okay with going the fock out of business.