Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - RB Christian McCaffrey, Panthers

At first blush, this is not an ideal landing spot for McCaffrey given Carolina's preference for smash-mouth football. With that said, OC Mike Shula was creative (and flexible) enough to mold his offense around Cam Newton, and it seems like a good bet he'll do it again to make sure McCaffrey's vast talents won't go to waste. McCaffrey will likely start out his career as a backup to Jonathan Stewart, but it is quite likely he'll spend whatever time he would typically be on the sideline either in the slot or returning kicks. In other words, he won't be seeing much time on the bench. McCaffrey is perhaps this draft's best chess piece and makes for an intriguing option for Newton underneath while Kelvin Benjamin and Greg Olsen stretch defenses.

Plus given that Stewart has never proven to have the ability to stay healthy.

Plus given that Stewart has never proven to have the ability to stay healthy.

I think Stewart lasts a half year, gets hurt, and this kid will start thereafter.

Even if Stewart doesnt get hurt .... when healthy, he has been good, but not spectacular, this kid may overtake him before year end. Only time will tell.

I do not like this location for what I perceive him to be. There are a lot of smart people who think he can be a RB that thrives running inside regularly at the NFL level and from his comments the Panthers GM is in that contingent. The comparisons to Curtis Martin foretell the initial intent will be to use him in a way that I don't think he will likely to stay healthy. Cam Newton is not an accurate passer that can take full advantage of Mac's ability to rack up R.A.C. and I don't consider the OC to be among the best in football at tactical game planning.

On the other hand, respecting Cam as a running threat means that backside LB can't cheat and Cmac should have ample opportunity to take advantage of running lanes...which he definitely will. Its not all bad, and if I turn out to be wrong about his body he could be a home run. I personally moved him down on the landing spot, but I get it for those who don't, I just diverge on his ideal usage.

• Like 1

I do not like this location for what I perceive him to be. There are a lot of smart people who think he can be a RB that thrives running inside regularly at the NFL level and from his comments the Panthers GM is in that contingent. The comparisons to Curtis Martin foretell the initial intent will be to use him in a way that I don't think he will likely to stay healthy. Cam Newton is not an accurate passer that can take full advantage of Mac's ability to rack up R.A.C. and I don't consider the OC to be among the best in football at tactical game planning.

On the other hand, respecting Cam as a running threat means that backside LB can't cheat and Cmac should have ample opportunity to take advantage of running lanes...which he definitely will. Its not all bad, and if I turn out to be wrong about his body he could be a home run. I personally moved him down on the landing spot, but I get it for those who don't, I just diverge on his ideal usage.

Fair comments.

Bottom line, in redraft, this kid is a late round flyer or waiver wire pickup. He wont likely put up draftable numbers this year unless he becomes the starter early in the year.

Fair comments.

Bottom line, in redraft, this kid is a late round flyer or waiver wire pickup. He wont likely put up draftable numbers this year unless he becomes the starter early in the year.

You're crazy if you think McCaffrey won't be drafted in the first 5 rounds in PPR leagues.

Glad he's in the NFC,. Had nightmares of Raider LBs chasing him like Dalmatians chasing a fire truck.

I agree that it's not a great landing spot for him. The Patriots or Chiefs, you're in trouble. The Panthers, eh, I'm not sure they'll maximize his talent level.

You're crazy if you think McCaffrey won't be drafted in the first 5 rounds in PPR leagues.

I was talking standard leagues.

I think it is generally assumed you are talking standard leagues unless you specify you are talking PPR.

Until Stewart suffers his inevitable toe injury, I think Carolina is thinking about revisiting "Double Trouble" while keeping Cam around 70 carries. I agree Carolina isn't C-Mac's greatest landing spot, but I think 40-ish catches and 130-ish carries is realistic even if Stewart plays all 16 games. If Stewart plays 10, I see McCaffrey having week-winning upside in those Stewart-less games. I also think Shula is a bit more creative (or at least open to working around his players' strengths) than he is being given credit for.

I was talking standard leagues.

I think it is generally assumed you are talking standard leagues unless you specify you are talking PPR.

People play in standard leagues still?

Regardless of format, there's simply no way, shape or form that McCaffrey is a flier pick at the end or a waiver pick. Even in an 8 team league, he's gonna get drafted and I'd bet the house on his ADP being higher than J-Stew in **any** scoring format.