Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - QB Deshaun Watson, Texans

There are two things that stand out about Watson: 1) he played his best ball on the biggest stages and 2) Alabama HC Nick Saban, who had to go against him on both of those stages, called him "the best player in college football since Cam Newton" and once stated Newton and Watson were the two players who kept him up late at night. Watson was the most accomplished and best signal-caller in a weak draft for quarterbacks and throws too many bad interceptions, but there's something to be said for a player who not only put Clemson back on the map but was good enough to do the two things stated in the opening sentence. Like the two quarterbacks drafted ahead of him, Watson is not ready to start Day 1, but it's hard for Houston fans - not to mention Clemson alum DeAndre Hopkins - to feel good about the future with a clutch playmaker like Watson in the fold.

Which of these 3 QBs taken so far do you consider to be the most ready to start right away?

I like this pick, it should truly help Hopkins.

I think this can help for a bounce back year for Lamar Miller. Rookie QB and leaning on the run game and so many times last year it looked like Miller was open in the passing game but Brock has no ability to get him the ball. I don't think this is a good fit for Fuller. It is good for Nook because at Clemson you could tell that Watson didn't have the best arm but he did trust Williams and put the ball up giving him a chance to go get it. I'd expect him to do the same with Nook.

As a Texans fan I don't like it. I think we should have went OL or Def. I just hope Tom Savage can turn into Chris Chandler for Houston.

As a Texans fan I don't like it. I think we should have went OL or Def. I just hope Tom Savage can turn into Chris Chandler for Houston.

I dont think there is any question, the Texans needed help on the OL.

There may still be room to grab someone on day 2, but next year will be a writeoff with both their first and second round picks gone.

Getting Nick Martin back from injury is going to help a lot. Finding a RT tonight (one who could preferably replace Duane Brown down the road) would be a big boost for all parties involves as well.

My guess is Houston saw another 9-7 type of season next year w/o this trade, which would leave the team out of the hunt again for one of 3-5 supposedly great QB prospects expected to be available next season. While he doesn't possess Russell Wilson upside IMO, I see a fair amount of similar traits. I think the Texans would be happy if Watson is 85-90 percent of Wilson.

If they can polish Watson up a little I believe he will turn the Texans into legit contenders. Hopkins needed a QB that didn't suck like Brock did. Watson works hard so I can see him leading that team to the playoffs next year. Maybe not this year but next year

It sure does help Hopkins.

Sold pick and a must pick IMO.