Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

Instant Fantasy Analysis - TE Gerald Everett, Rams

A surprising pick considering how much the new coaching staff reportedly loves Tyler Higbee. Everett is part of the growing list of former basketball players to become a higher-round prospect despite limited experience playing football. Despite checking in at 6-3 and 240 pounds, he is still a more oversized wide receiver than an undersized tight end at this point. And maybe Everett ends up playing receiver when all is said and done. To begin his career, however, he will likely be a "move" tight end. Make no mistake: while Engram boasts enticing run-after-catch and big-play potential, but he has some of the smaller hands in the draft and is a raw route-runner and blocker. With Los Angeles' sad group of receivers, Everett automatically becomes one of the top two or three red zone options. HC Sean McVay would like nothing better than to see Everett become his new Jordan Reed, but he is a huge project and will likely need two years in order to be worth much consideration in fantasy.

Don't forget, McVay is a former TE coach. He knows how to get the most out of guys in that position. That said, I think this pick was a major reach. I can't fathom why they didn't just stay put and select WR Zay Jones, but they called their shot.

I think the small hands may be an issue.

you know what they say about small hands ...

you know what they say about small hands ...

small gloves

They drafted him because he's clean off the field. Higbee isn't. New staff, new toys. I'm not sure what is to dislike about this kid. He's fast for a TE, quick off the line, apparently a great kid off the field and was ranked the 4th best TE by most scouts after the injury to Butte. I agree it was a little early, but if you are convicted, grab the kid in the 2nd round and don't look back.

I think he's a very big sleeper for 2018. It will take him a year to get use to the NFL and another year to learn that Goff can't hit the broad side of a barn, then he'll be fine when they bring in the next QB. In all seriousness, I like this kid. Perfect offense for him.

I don't disagree with you oldtimer.

Good pick up in a keeper league.

No value in redraft this season.