Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

Dak Prescott stakes his claim to the cowboys backup QB job

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000685065/article/dak-prescott-dazzles-in-cowboys-preseason-debut

He looked good. I know its early in exhibition, but the early signs suggest he could be the man in a year or two.

So far he did a good job. Granted it's preseason and it might as well have been against a practice squad but he still looked good

His presence and arm were phenomenal. Prescott looked more like the #1 overall pick and Goff looked like the 4th rounder taken... Good feeling going forward.

Can we finally cut JJ Wilcox's ass, like today??? He's the worst tackling safety I've ever seen, master of the arm tackle wiff... While we're at it, somebody should strip Chaz Green of his #79 - he's a disgrace to the legacy of Big E. What an amazing idiot, bust of a 3rd round pick he was.... And yea, it wasn't our full unit, but our defense is going to suck - again.

• Like 1

His presence and arm were phenomenal. Prescott looked more like the #1 overall pick and Goff looked like the 4th rounder taken... Good feeling going forward.

Can we finally cut JJ Wilcox's ass, like today??? He's the worst tackling safety I've ever seen, master of the arm tackle wiff... While we're at it, somebody should strip Chaz Green of his #79 - he's a disgrace to be he legacy of Big E. What an amazing idiot, bust of a 3rd round pick he was.... And yea, it wasn't our full unit, but our defense is going to suck - again.

"Well, I'm not ready to put him in the Hall of Fame yet."

Jerry Jones during the television broadcast. Focking football idiot.

:thumbsup:

Can we finally cut JJ Wilcox's ass, like today??? He's the worst tackling safety I've ever seen, master of the arm tackle wiff... While we're at it, somebody should strip Chaz Green of his #79 - he's a disgrace to be he legacy of Big E. What an amazing idiot, bust of a 3rd round pick he was.... And yea, it wasn't our full unit, but our defense is going to suck - again.

After watching hardknocks and seeing the game today my feelings about Goff are the same. Dude just doesn't impress like the number 1 draft pick should. Hell he doesn't impress at all. Prescott looked a hell of a lot better

After watching hardknocks and seeing the game today my feelings about Goff are the same. Dude just doesn't impress like the number 1 draft pick should. Hell he doesn't impress at all. Prescott looked a hell of a lot better

Easy. It's one preseason game. Let's also not forget that Prescott has the Dallas oline and Dez Bryant. Goff has nothing to work with as far as receivers and the line isn't better than last year's poor unit. Most any qb in the league would look bad playing for the Rams.

Dak looked really good. Very poised in the pocket and a terrific arm. Loved the back shoulder throw to Dez.

Excellent performance for a first time out. It's early though.

Easy. It's one preseason game. Let's also not forget that Prescott has the Dallas oline and Dez Bryant. Goff has nothing to work with as far as receivers and the line isn't better than last year's poor unit. Most any qb in the league would look bad playing for the Rams.

Goff was facing a scaled down version of one of the worst defenses in the league, and backups.

So, he'll be the starter by week 6 when Romo breaks something again?

The fact that he threw pick after pick and couldn't even call a play in the huddle should tell you all you need to know

The fact that he threw pick after pick and couldn't even call a play in the huddle should tell you all you need to know

It does. Only one preseason game is all I need to know.

It wasn't really even that. He just doesn't have the commanding presence of a franchise QB. His arm strength, or lack there of, is alarming... I know it was his 1st time out - but even Mannion looked more like a nfl qb than Goff.

So, he'll be the starter by week 6 when Romo breaks something again?

We will know more in 3 weeks. But last night was bad news for Cleveland - they overplayed their hand. Dallas might just go with what we have - and I'm ok with it.

Goff was facing a scaled down version of one of the worst defenses in the league, and backups.

He also didn't have the offensive rookie of the year in his backfield.

He also didn't have the offensive rookie of the year in his backfield.

Dak had Alfred Morris, a guy nobody wanted. Not sure of the parallel you're reaching for.

Dak had Alfred Morris, a guy nobody wanted. Not sure of the parallel you're reaching for.

The parallel is Goff had nothing. Prescot had the best oline in football, a top 10 receiver. Although I will say Benny Cunningham isn't chopped liver. I like the way the dude runs. Not sure he could overcome stacked boxes constantly, but he is a legit backup.

The parallel is Goff had nothing. Prescot had the best oline in football, a top 10 receiver. Although I will say Benny Cunningham isn't chopped liver. I like the way the dude runs. Not sure he could overcome stacked boxes constantly, but he is a legit backup.

He was still facing a scale version of a bad defense and backups. When he did have time - he looked terrible. No way around that.

He's Joey Harrington, 2016.

It is pre-season, if you think Prescott is ready to be an NFL QB you're dreaming. Cruzer you should know better. You are right about one thing though, they may as well go with the rook at backup. If Romes goes down their season is shite anyway, even Steven said it. I can respect that.

I still think Cook will end up better than any of them. As for Goff, it's not just that he's light years from being ready. It's the price they paid for him as well. There's a reason Fisher is ten losses away from being the losingest coach in NFL history, and Les Snead is a focking child. Both were in on this move to save their asses in LA short term. This is going to damage this franchise FAR worse than say Oakland busting on JaMarcus Russell. They needed those picks. Now they're focked.

It is pre-season, if you think Prescott is ready to be an NFL QB you're dreaming. Cruzer you should know better. You are right about one thing though, they may as well go with the rook at backup. If Romes goes down their season is shite anyway, even Steven said it. I can respect that.

I still think Cook will end up better than any of them. As for Goff, it's not just that he's light years from being ready. It's the price they paid for him as well. There's a reason Fisher is ten losses away from being the losingest coach in NFL history, and Les Snead is a focking child. Both were in on this move to save their asses in LA short term. This is going to damage this franchise FAR worse than say Oakland busting on JaMarcus Russell. They needed those picks. Now they're focked.

And the Rams are trying to extend the assh0les! What has Fischer ever done? Why does the media talk so glowingly of Fischer?

It is pre-season, if you think Prescott is ready to be an NFL QB you're dreaming. Cruzer you should know better.

If you are saying (or thinking) I said anything of the such - you're the one dreaming.

He was still facing a scale version of a bad defense and backups. When he did have time - he looked terrible. No way around that.

He's Joey Harrington, 2016.

I'm not ready to annoint him as a bust of this level already. The scout reports I saw sugggested this kids upside was that of a #1 QB. But it also suggested he is not pro ready.

This is why it puzzles me why a team would break the bank to get the kid. He should have went Mid to late round 1 and a team shouldnt have had to pay the price that was paid to trade up.

That being said, I'm not ready to call him a bust. But I think it is clear he needs to sit and learn a while before he's ready for prime time.

If you are saying (or thinking) I said anything of the such - you're the one dreaming.

Well, it's hard to tell. Your exuberance in building up his performance is commendable, though the kid did look good. If Romes does go down, and this kid even directs them to a .500 record in his absence, it's the sports story of the year. That's the rub. If Romo goes down for the year, yeah why not? Like Steven said the wheels are off anyway. But if it's only a couple games can he deliver? A condensed game plan, run heavy, utilizing Prescott's wheels on some planned scrambles? Maybe. But the chances of this kid just being totally lost are real as well, given his limited knowledge of NFL style offenses.

I was very impressed with Connor Cook in his debut. Lightning release, cannon for an arm, looked composed. But he's got a LONG way to go. Most rookies do. It looks like they're going with him. Considering what they've gotten out of every veteran brought in, I can see the reasoning. But just temper expectations.

Well, it's hard to tell. Your exuberance in building up his performance is commendable, though the kid did look good.

Watch ESPN? How about NFL Network? They were equally exuberant on his performance - I was just one of many. But it was 1 game, preseason at that. If Romo goes down, according to all the pro-Zeke camp - all we need is someone to handoff, right? I'm ok with rolling with what we have, dead set against trading for a backup. At least Dak can run, so might as well roll with the here and now.

But I will tell you this - I feel a hell of a lot better about Dak than I would Goff.

Watch ESPN? How about NFL Network? They were equally exuberant on his performance - I was just one of many. But it was 1 game, preseason at that. If Romo goes down, according to all the pro-Zeke camp - all we need is someone to handoff, right? I'm ok with rolling with what we have, dead set against trading for a backup. At least Dak can run, so might as well roll with the here and now.

But I will tell you this - I feel a hell of a lot better about Dak than I would Goff.

Oh Lord yes, Snead and Fisher should both be run. It's one thing to pooh-pah an excellent pre-season performance. But bad is bad, and Goff looked lost. Of course I knew that just watching the Hard Knocks episode, he's in left field. And that's fine, but those two asshats were trying to sell that Goff would be ready Week one.

I'm not much of a Garrett guy, but they did well on the game plan for Prescott.

...But bad is bad...

Exactly... Take a swim around the league and look at the other performances of the qb's taken ahead of Dak... No question they will all most certainly improve (most anyways) but bad is bad - and for at least 1 week, Prescott has bought some time and has Stephen and Will looking pretty good.

The other thing to keep in mind....

Dak has moved into a pretty potent offense. So hes gonna work with some really good players and gets to set up behind a really good line.

Goff moves in behind what has been a sub par line. While the line may be starting to improve somewhat, the level of protection and comfort he will have in the pocket does not compare.

Neither does the Quality of the WR he gets to throw to.

That being said, sometimes being in a situation where you are setup for success is better than being in one where you are not.

I hope the rams have the good sense to sit Goff this year.

Next year, they can draft someone for the Line to protect their investment. (if they dont, they should) and maybe pickup a WR so he actually has someone to throw to.

Next year, they can draft someone for the Line to protect their investment. (if they dont, they should) and maybe pickup a WR so he actually has someone to throw to.

They gave up their 1st and 3rd round picks in 2017 - they will be car shopping with bad credit and $2000 in their pocket.. Granted you can find lineman down in the draft - but the further down you're buying, the bigger the unknown.

Exactly... Take a swim around the league and look at the other performances of the qb's taken ahead of Dak... No question they will all most certainly improve (most anyways) but bad is bad - and for at least 1 week, Prescott has bought some time and has Stephen and Will looking pretty good.

He's looking good for this week, but that can change quickly. Odds are he'll see regular game action this year. That means lining up under center, reading defenses, going through multiple progressions, facing NFL cornerbacks. His offense at MSU was a Chinese fire drill compared to the NFL. Dan Mullen gets all sort of pub, he's a offensive genius blah blah blah. But his Mickey Mouse offense is closer to a high school playbook than a professional one, last years MSU team set a record for fewest rushing yards in school history. In Dallas this kid is going to line up under center a lot.

I don't know, there's been success stories. But he could use a year or two of seasoning.

He's looking good for this week, but that can change quickly. Odds are he'll see regular game action this year. That means lining up under center, reading defenses, going through multiple progressions, facing NFL cornerbacks. His offense at MSU was a Chinese fire drill compared to the NFL. Dan Mullen gets all sort of pub, he's a offensive genius blah blah blah. But his Mickey Mouse offense is closer to a high school playbook than a professional one, last years MSU team set a record for fewest rushing yards in school history. In Dallas this kid is going to line up under center a lot.

I don't know, there's been success stories. But he could use a year or two of seasoning.

Hey, for now, its a nice story.

but as we move on through the regular season, the camp bodies will get cut and the level of competition will go up a bit.

If he's still performing after week 3 of the exhibition season, then we will legitimately have a story. once the season starts, Dak is not gonna play unless Romo gets hurt or unless it's garbage time.

so lets not get too excited

No doubt.. But as of today - he looks better than Goff and he looks better than Cassel or Weeden ever did.. His development may or may not ever happen - but he at least shows promise, and his athleticism is reason alone to be optimistic.

No doubt.. But as of today - he looks better than Goff and he looks better than Cassel or Weeden ever did.. His development may or may not ever happen - but he at least shows promise, and his athleticism is reason alone to be optimistic.

Love the overblown talk of how bad Goff was. His first pick he was hit. Receivers were dropping passes. The Rams have NO talent in the pass game or offensive line, even if playing against vanilla defenses.

Love the overblown talk of how bad Goff was..

Tell it to the networks.

i'm encouraged. the guy reminds me a little bit of wilson--calm on stage.

but it's preseason game 1. he needs about a billion more reps before we get a true bead on what he's capable of.

but it's preseason game 1. he needs about a billion more reps before we get a true bead on what he's capable of.

The real story that nobody is talking about is Hanna.. His injury is crippling to this offense.

The real story that nobody is talking about is Hanna.. His injury is crippling to this offense.

Can Swaim block? He got 74% of the offensive snaps so it seemed they wanted to get him familiar with everything for an extended time period. Had some stone hands early in the game, but from what I've read about him, he's a fairly polished blocker

Can Swaim block? He got 74% of the offensive snaps so it seemed they wanted to get him familiar with everything for an extended time period. Had some stone hands early in the game, but from what I've read about him, he's a fairly polished blocker

Meh, not really... B. Broaddus was saying that Hanna had the ability to get an end's shoulders turned and the corner sealed off.. He said Swaim is not as strong - gets flattened too often during his block.

Swaim had as rough a first game as I can remember. If there are questions on his blocking, and he obviously isn't a natural receiver, he is probably going to be more of a detriment than helpful on the field.

Swaim had as rough a first game as I can remember. If there are questions on his blocking, and he obviously isn't a natural receiver, he is probably going to be more of a detriment than helpful on the field.

No doubt, agreed.. The problem is we don't really have any other options right now. We do have one of the all time 2nd round draft busts in Gavin Escobar on the roster - but he's more of a pass catching TE, plus he's still recovering from a blown Achilles last year - could start the season on the PUP list. Our only other option is the Baylor, basketball kid we drafted.