Sign in to follow this  
$epphori$

Tyler Lockett usage may not be what we all expected....

From Rotoworld:

Tyler Lockett might have an opportunity problem. Per former-Rotoworlder Adam Levitan, Lockett (17 snaps) was out-snapped by Doug Baldwin (27) and Jermaine Kearse (25) in the Seahawks’ second preseason game. Granted it was just Lockett’s rookie year, but Kearse was on the field for 107 more offensive snaps than Lockett in 2015. With more usage, Kearse gained 60 yards and/or a touchdown in 62.5 percent of his games in 2015, while Tyler Lockettonly met the milestone in 31.3 percent of games. Last year, Lockett saw a target on 10.4 percent of his offensive snaps, ahead of Jermaine Kearse (8.8%), but behind Doug Baldwin (12.9%) and Jimmy Graham (12.6%)

This would really suck, I drafted him as my WR3.

I put zero stock into this. This takes into account the first half of the season where Lockett was barely used. We can't start making statistical trends based off a players rookie season.

Brandin Cooks didn't even play last preseason game. Should we assume he will be used as a sparse option behind Thomas, Coleman, and Snead?

• Like 1

ESPN's Sheil Kapadia reports it is "clear" the Seahawks will get Tyler Lockett "consistent touches" this season.

The Seattle Times reports there's been consistent "buzz" that Tyler Lockett has made "significant strides," and "could become an even bigger factor in the offense in 2016."

Coach Pete Carroll said Tyler Lockett is "right in the middle of all our planning."

Since I drafted Lockett I'm going to believe those 3 blurbs.

even though he has a tough schedule i will draft him and maybe reach for him.

If he played for New England he'd be a top 3 receiver.

even though he has a tough schedule i will draft him and maybe reach for him.

If he played for New England he'd be a top 3 receiver.

You would reach for a WR3 on a run first team? I do think the Seahawks will pass more this season, but reaching for a second year guy as my WR3 seems a bit of a stretch. Personally, I don't have him as a WR3. Maybe I'm missing the boat, but I watched Seattle the last 20 years the Rams were here in St. Louis. He will be behind Baldwin and possibly Graham (if healthy). Will he have some huge plays? Yep. Will he be a consistent WR3? I don't see it. Great for a best ball league, but I'm not reaching for him. Just my thoughts.

Also - Highly disagree he would be a top 3 receiver if he was in New England. Top 30? Sure, why not. Top 3? No. He's not Randy Moss and has the benefit in Seattle of being able to work himself free of coverage with the scrambling ability of Wilson.

You would reach for a WR3 on a run first team? I do think the Seahawks will pass more this season, but reaching for a second year guy as my WR3 seems a bit of a stretch. Personally, I don't have him as a WR3. Maybe I'm missing the boat, but I watched Seattle the last 20 years the Rams were here in St. Louis. He will be behind Baldwin and possibly Graham (if healthy). Will he have some huge plays? Yep. Will he be a consistent WR3? I don't see it. Great for a best ball league, but I'm not reaching for him. Just my thoughts.

Also - Highly disagree he would be a top 3 receiver if he was in New England. Top 30? Sure, why not. Top 3? No. He's not Randy Moss and has the benefit in Seattle of being able to work himself free of coverage with the scrambling ability of Wilson.

It will be interesting to see if Seattle goes back to run first. I think it would be idiotic. Wilson showed he can be an elite passer and put up gaudy numbers. If the Seahawks dial him back it will be a huge mistake that should show how poor of an OC Bevel is. It wouldn't surprise me though.

Picked Lockett off the waivers late last year and he helped me win some close games. I actually drafted Baldwin as my WR3 this year predicated on a Seattle team continueing to air it out as they did end of last season. Seattle prolly goes back to a run first team but I agree a Wilson running around and chucking down field would benefit all drafted Seattle pass receivers.

Nothing to worry about until the season starts. Preseason snap counts are meaningless. That said, while I did draft Lockett in one league pretty late, I see him as high risk. I said awhile back that he would still play 3rd guy behind Kearse and hasnt been til recently that buzz of him as the no.2 guy popped up. The jury is still out to me and it could go either way. Coaches like to use guys where they fit best and maybe he fits best as a 3rd guy/return man. John Brown in AZ is the third guy and I like him more than the other two, so there is room for breakout despite his role.

I don't read into preseason too much. They might not want to tip thier hand on how they are going to use Lockett for the regular season. I still only see Lockett as a WR4 with WR3 upside. He's just on the wrong team. They didn't know how to use Harvin.

I'm sure Seattle will go back to run first and lean on their defense. Oline is pretty bad. Might want to save Wilson from constantly running for his life, even though he's one of the best at evading rushers.

He's on the wrong team?? Wilson is one of the most accurate passers and pretty deep ball throwers in the NFL. And he is young still. I would say he is on the perfect team. You guys obviously didn't pay much attention to Lockett last year. Wilson just missed Lockett on a minimum of 4 deep passes last year that would have been 50+ yard touchdowns. If he connected on just two of those, the general perception would probably be different. After an entire off season of learning where to put that deep pass so Lockett can get it, he is going to have some serious opportunity. Just the catches he has made in traffic this preseason have been excellent.

If anything I think this is a sign that Carroll is still keeping him under wraps so no one has a clue what's about to hit them. I can't wait.

Wilson 25th in pass attempts last year. Wrong team.

4k yards and 34tds 8int. Id say thats the right qb to be playing with. Those numbers while only being 25th most passes? Insane efficiency. Also he was 17th most attempts, not 25th. Still impressive. Hmm, lets see who had the most attempts last year. It was Phillip Rivers, lets see how his wrs took over the league. Ah, Travis Benjamin led the wrs with a whopping 966yds, a real barn burner there. EDI: LOL Benjamin wasnt on the team, it just tricked me looking at the stats sheet. I cant even remember who SDs wrs last year were besides Keenan.

Wilson 25th in pass attempts last year. Wrong team.

34 touchdowns is the wrong team?.... I guess there are a lot of receivers on wrong teams

Totally off the thread here, but even as good as Wilson is, he doesn't get the credit he deserves. Run first team or not, without him the last few years, the team would have gone nowhere. Watching him scramble away from Quinn, Donald and the rest of the division was crazy. Lockett is with the correct QB, especially considering Lockett's one drawback is his inability to get off the line clean (watch him play). With Wilson, he has time run his way open, scramble back to the QB, or just run free (no route) and Wilson seems to always hit these guys. In watching Baldwin last year, I'll never believe many of those plays were "called" routes. No, he and Wilson bailed one another out time and again. It is just a flat out awesome connection Wilson has with his guys.

Oops he was 17th at attempts. Ya 34 his best year. I don't chase TDS from the previous year. IMO a non WR1 on a on run first team with a strong defense is the wrong team. I'll take Marvin Jones over Lockett.

I like M Jones over Lockett as well

I've been targeting him with my 5th pick (52) in mocks and recently began experimenting with picking him at 45. He finished 8th among WR is points in my return yardage league last year. If he even gets a slight boost in the offense it could pay off big. I'm not sure he lasts until 52 in my league now I just need to decide if hes worth pick 45. If he can come back and at least equal last season I think hes worth it.

If you are in leagues that count return yards his value is worth it.

4k yards and 34tds 8int. Id say thats the right qb to be playing with. Those numbers while only being 25th most passes? Insane efficiency. Also he was 17th most attempts, not 25th. Still impressive. Hmm, lets see who had the most attempts last year. It was Phillip Rivers, lets see how his wrs took over the league. Ah, Travis Benjamin led the wrs with a whopping 966yds, a real barn burner there.

Benjamin is an FA pickup and wasn't on the Chargers last year. Keenan Allen was on pace for about 1500 years before his injury last year, so that's what you get with a real high volume passing attack. The Chargers were so injury riddled last year that they had a ton of guys in the 400-700 yard cluster.

I'm mixed on Lockett. I think it will be hard for him to top 100 targets. I really like him in dynasty, but he needs to be in the field for many more snaps to have a monster impact. Except in one league where we get a point for every 25 return yards, I can't see myself grabbing him at his price in redraft.

Ever since Matt Harmon wrote about Lockett his ADP has risen astronomically. At his current cost, I'm not buying unless return yards are also factored in. PPR or standard scoring, meh...maybe if he slips into the late 6th early 7th

Benjamin is an FA pickup and wasn't on the Chargers last year. Keenan Allen was on pace for about 1500 years before his injury last year, so that's what you get with a real high volume passing attack. The Chargers were so injury riddled last year that they had a ton of guys in the 400-700 yard cluster.

I'm mixed on Lockett. I think it will be hard for him to top 100 targets. I really like him in dynasty, but he needs to be in the field for many more snaps to have a monster impact. Except in one league where we get a point for every 25 return yards, I can't see myself grabbing him at his price in redraft.

lol duh, I was just looking at the stats and goofed, forgot he wasnt there. Fail.

Totally off the thread here, but even as good as Wilson is, he doesn't get the credit he deserves. Run first team or not, without him the last few years, the team would have gone nowhere. Watching him scramble away from Quinn, Donald and the rest of the division was crazy. Lockett is with the correct QB, especially considering Lockett's one drawback is his inability to get off the line clean (watch him play). With Wilson, he has time run his way open, scramble back to the QB, or just run free (no route) and Wilson seems to always hit these guys. In watching Baldwin last year, I'll never believe many of those plays were "called" routes. No, he and Wilson bailed one another out time and again. It is just a flat out awesome connection Wilson has with his guys.

Good description. It's a mutually beneficial relationship and the connection has to be there. Their "types" work well for each other. Wilson likes (or has to) bail/improvise early and they have a good improvisational relationship. But Wilson also dominated statistically from the pocket though, which points to even more potential if the O-line gets it together. He has threaded some nice passes to Baldwin and Lockett in the preseason and the last half of last season.

• Like 1