Sign in to follow this  
aggiewildlife

The Romo/Stafford QB Draft Strategy

Anybody read about this theory? Basically it's a good way to delay drafting a QB but then play favorable matchups all season long. 14 of 17 season-long matchups are against teams ranked 24th or worse in fantasy points allowed to QB's last season. When each is on a bye, the other has a strong matchup. Playing the matchups yields zero games vs. teams that finished in the top 15 last year in points yield to opposing QBs. This strategy of course assumes defensive rankings last year will carry over into this year and is based entirely on strength-of-schedule, but it seems like a potentially solid option to pursue this year. I think both Romo and Stafford are already a bit undervalued going into this year, so it may be worth a shot.

http://www.thescore.com/news/1084722-tony-romo-and-matthew-stafford-fantasy-football-s-power-couple

Just seeing what others thought of this, thanks.

Not so sure about Stafford this year. Anyone have the stats on how he did without Megatron? He was even underperforming at times with Megatron a few seasons ago.

Romo? Injury risk. And they should lean on the run game. He should get you several 2TD games though and maybe a few 3TD games. I just don't see him being the top 10 FF guy he used to be even with the matchups.

It is interesting though. But I expect anywhere between 12-25 points from these guys. Don't think you'll see many 30 point games.

Yes, I understand Stafford doesn't have Megatron anymore, and this is why he's ranked so low. But Golden Tate is solid and with Boldin and Marvin Jones in tow now, they may be productive. And again, we're only talking about using Stafford against horrible defenses. Same with Romo. Nobody's arguing either one is a top-level QB anymore, but that they can both reasonably expect to perform well against crappy defenses and their schedules just happen to work out where one or the other is playing a crappy defense literally every week of the season. And you don't have to draft a QB until late in the draft, which makes this somewhat appealing.

I think Stafford bounces back. They had a new OC the second half of the year and things seemed to go better. Having Megatron almost hurt Stafford at times as he tried to force the ball to him or held it too long staring him down. Tate, Jones and Boldin offer a decent trio of options and with an easy schedule he should do just fine as a platoon QB.

If Romo stays healthy it's not a bad idea. I have owned both of these guys several times. If you play the split correctly most of the year you should have good QB production. It would be consistent and both will have a couple of big games or so.

never draft a QB till at least 6th round

I've done a little research going duel QBs. I have Taylor, Rivers,Romo, Stafford, Cousins working well as duos if u take 2 and easy playoff matchups.

That is interesting. Might give it a try

Very interesting. My worry is there are so many big swings from year to year for defenses. For one example: PHI and NYG are assumed to be 31st and 29th pass defenses for multiple match-ups. Will that hold? Just glancing at schedules I was kind of leery that the 2016 matchups would be as good as they would have been in 2015. Still, if I miss the QB1 boat you can bet I'll give this a try.

if healthy, Romo is a solid Fantasy qb... Pairing him with someone like Carr will give you a solid tandem. Stafford i am not sold on... the guy consistently under performs. With no Megatron to scare defenses, he'll have a tougher time finding open WRs on intermediate routes. I just couldn't trust him to play well against even average teams. Low floor/ low ceiling

Its funny how everyone is writing off Romo like he is already reinjured. When healthy Romo is an annual FF asset and one of the best regular season qbs ever.

• Like 1

I'm going Stafford/RG3....but only because my other 3 targets were taken in consecutive picks. Romo, Taylor, Cousins before me.

I think Stafford running a hurry up makes sense for him, and it's a good pairing for his WRs/RBS. Stafford quietly finished 7th last year in my league with Megatron having very replaceable numbers. He had a great finish after Jim Bob Cooter took over play calling.

Its funny how everyone is writing off Romo like he is already reinjured. When healthy Romo is an annual FF asset and one of the best regular season qbs ever.

Or not.