Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

how tennis exposes...

women make more money in every tipped based job in the US

so they should just go work in a restaurant or bar

I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

and thats why you are Mr. Pink, now throw out your $1

Agreed. If I dont get a happy ending, no tip. Perhaps thats stating the obvious though.

If unfair wage practices is the discussion, why do we just stop at gender? I'm sure (positive) if we drill just a little deeper we will find huge discrepancies factoring in other differences. Like religion, nepotism, those born into wealth. But it's just so easy to throw the man/woman thing around.

Or race?

Or race?

Sure. Let's throw it all in there. Maybe we can start telling the truth then.

That would be OK if servers didn't make low base pay, sometimes less than minimum wage. Or they didn't split there tips with other workers involved in food prep and clean up.

Granted the system is stupid, but it is based upon the assumption that tips are being paid.

as far as teachers, men are more likely to work summer school, women are more likely to take time off to spend with their kids who are out of school

from the same company Forbes..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/karinagness/2016/04/12/dont-buy-into-the-gender-pay-gap-myth/#5b6bc1f42596

That opinion piece is OK, but even when all the confounding variables are considered, women are paid less than men - not 22% less, but still less. Read the links I posted, or continue assuming it's all because men work harder.

That would be OK if servers didn't make low base pay, sometimes less than minimum wage. Or they didn't split there tips with other workers involved in food prep and clean up.

Granted the system is stupid, but it is based upon the assumption that tips are being paid.

You do realize that's a movie quote,right?

I struggle with this. We are basically the only country that has this tipping culture.

If you try to tip here in china, they are insulted. It just isnt done.

I dont feel like its my responsibility as a customer to carry a businesses payroll for them. Pay your focking staff, and price your goods accordingly.

But youre right, it isnt fair to stiff a college kid making $2.13 an hour to make that point.

Do you know what this is? It's the world's smallest violin playing just for the waitresses. :wave:

No. I forget his schtick sometimes. And he's really cheap IIRC.

Youtube "Reservoir Dogs Tipping". Great scene and dialogue. :thumbsup:

That opinion piece is OK, but even when all the confounding variables are considered, women are paid less than men - not 22% less, but still less. Read the links I posted, or continue assuming it's all because men work harder.

I read that entire thing and searched everywhere to find a job that pays a person less based on their sex, and still can't find one.

http://thehill.com/opinion/civil-rights/372878-another-bogus-gender-injustice-claim-made-it-in-the-super-bowl

an "opinion" by a democrat feminist speaking the truth

here is a piece from a progressive beta male

https://www.inc.com/geoffrey-james/is-gender-pay-gap-mostly-a-feminist-myth.html

Rather than the $.22 that shows up in the BLS numbers, the Payscale study provides what appears to be a more apples-to-apple comparison where "women earn $.98 for every $1 earned by men."

In other words, all things being equal, the gender pay gap is so small as to be almost insignificant.

This, however, is utter bullsh*t.

• men interrupt women more at meetings
  • men make women uncomfortable by hitting on them
  • men keep offering women less money for the same job
  • men keep salaries secret so they can pay men more
  • men project their insecurities on women
  • men feel threatened by non-submissive women
  • men are judging women on looks rather than competence
  • men constantly steal women's ideas
  • men don't investing in women's startups
  • men lock women out of conversations
  • men discourage women from STEM careers
  • etc. etc. etc.

all of the above are false

but here is the "REAL CULPRIT" that the left is spreading

The Payscale study suggests another explanation--that women are more likely to be unemployed for longer periods of time "to care for children and family members." So, once again, it's the women's fault... in this case for not better managing their work/life balance.

Yeah, right.

Hey, how about this: maybe women get pulled out their career path because male-dominated business world (especially in the US):

• lacks reasonable family leave policies
  • fails to provide at-work day-care
  • demands 60-plus hour weeks
  • is generally hostile to women, making other choices more attractive

uh duh, yes men just need a job to show up at and work, and don't need all these other conditions women need. When you look it it laid out like this women should be making 50 cents on the dollar

sorry but if I have a job available and I need someone there I can count on who can work 60+ hours, I and every other CEO is going to hire the person who I think will be able to reach those goals

Youtube "Reservoir Dogs Tipping". Great scene and dialogue. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I looked it up. I can't actually remember watching the entire thing, but not my type of movie.

Men and women sports, to use as an example, are the worst comparisons ever. Extremely dishonest.

Men and women sports, to use as an example, are the worst comparisons ever. Extremely dishonest.

Most sports, yes. Tennis is probably the only decent example, as men's and women's tennis are roughly equal popularity (read: generate similar revenue).

I read that entire thing and searched everywhere to find a job that pays a person less based on their sex, and still can't find one.

http://thehill.com/opinion/civil-rights/372878-another-bogus-gender-injustice-claim-made-it-in-the-super-bowl

an "opinion" by a democrat feminist speaking the truth

here is a piece from a progressive beta male

https://www.inc.com/geoffrey-james/is-gender-pay-gap-mostly-a-feminist-myth.html

Rather than the $.22 that shows up in the BLS numbers, the Payscale study provides what appears to be a more apples-to-apple comparison where "women earn $.98 for every $1 earned by men."

In other words, all things being equal, the gender pay gap is so small as to be almost insignificant.

This, however, is utter bullsh*t.

• men interrupt women more at meetings
  • men make women uncomfortable by hitting on them
  • men keep offering women less money for the same job
  • men keep salaries secret so they can pay men more
  • men project their insecurities on women
  • men feel threatened by non-submissive women
  • men are judging women on looks rather than competence
  • men constantly steal women's ideas
  • men don't investing in women's startups
  • men lock women out of conversations
  • men discourage women from STEM careers
  • etc. etc. etc.

all of the above are false

but here is the "REAL CULPRIT" that the left is spreading

The Payscale study suggests another explanation--that women are more likely to be unemployed for longer periods of time "to care for children and family members." So, once again, it's the women's fault... in this case for not better managing their work/life balance.

Yeah, right.

Hey, how about this: maybe women get pulled out their career path because male-dominated business world (especially in the US):

• lacks reasonable family leave policies
  • fails to provide at-work day-care
  • demands 60-plus hour weeks
  • is generally hostile to women, making other choices more attractive

uh duh, yes men just need a job to show up at and work, and don't need all these other conditions women need. When you look it it laid out like this women should be making 50 cents on the dollar

sorry but if I have a job available and I need someone there I can count on who can work 60+ hours, I and every other CEO is going to hire the person who I think will be able to reach those goals

I don't care much for the beta male opinion piece either. Not sure what else I can tell you, except you may need to work on reading comprehension if you read all my links and still think the pay gap is fiction.

Most sports, yes. Tennis is probably the only decent example, as men's and women's tennis are roughly equal popularity (read: generate similar revenue).

No.

Jews

Whites/Asians

Hispanics

Black

How about those wage gaps?

How so?

Obviously you should know this. Its your thread. Tickets are sold as a "set". That includes men and women matches. So, how do you determine the money payout? Maybe butts in the seats? Which is heavily favored to the men. In short, the men carry the women.

Jews

Whites/Asians

Hispanics

Black

How about those wage gaps?

Post some data. And control for educational achievement and experience too. If the gap remains (it probably does for some of those groups), you might have a great topic for another thread. :thumbsup:

Obviously you should know this. Its your thread. Tickets are sold as a "set". That includes men and women matches. So, how do you determine the money payout? Maybe butts in the seats? Which is heavily favored to the men. In short, the men carry the women.

It ain't my thread. But I don't think the men's matches are significantly more popular than women's. I'm open to being proven wrong, but here is a little data suggesting otherwise:

In a 2009 University of Indianapolis online survey of more than 1,100 adults, popularity for women’s tennis edged out that of men’s among self-described fans, as well as among those who said they like or love the sport. Notably, men like men’s tennis more than women, but both genders enjoy women’s tennis.

According to data from Nielsen, 3.2 million viewers — 1.4 million of them women — watched the men’s U.S. Open final last year. A total of 1.6 million viewers watched the women’s final, including 719,000 women, although that was televised in midafternoon, while the men’s final was during prime time. For all televised professional tennis events last year, the average number of viewers was 681,000, including 361,000 men and 320,000 women.

Here's just an example.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2017/01/australian-open-television-ratings-federer-nadal-serena-venus/63882/

the mens rerun pulled in more/equal then the womens live event. This is not rocket science. Men always draw more, which means more money. Should the WNBA be paid as much as the NBA?

Here's just an example.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2017/01/australian-open-television-ratings-federer-nadal-serena-venus/63882/

the mens rerun pulled in more/equal then the womens live event. This is not rocket science. Men always draw more, which means more money. Should the WNBA be paid as much as the NBA?

Roger Federer is clearly a huge star, arguably the best the sport has ever seen. His matches draw huge crowds, but they don't define popularity for the entire sport. How do you interpret the two statements in my quoted text above?

The WNBA sucks; I've already conceded tennis is the best example for parity in pay for male and female athletes.

Roger Federer is clearly a huge star, arguably the best the sport has ever seen. His matches draw huge crowds, but they don't define popularity for the entire sport. How do you interpret the two statements in my quoted text above?

The WNBA sucks; I've already conceded tennis is the best example for parity in pay for male and female athletes.

Men always draw more. Period. Show me a sport where women draw equal or more attendance in equal sports. Any. I'll wait.

Men always draw more. Period. Show me a sport where women draw equal or more attendance in equal sports. Any. I'll wait.

In 2015, the U.S. Open women’s tournament, which featured a nail-biting showdown between Serena and Venus Williams, sold out more quickly than the men’s tournament. In 2013 and 2014, the women’s U.S. Open final garnered higher TV ratings than the men’s final. In 2005, the Wimbledon final between Venus Williams and Lindsay Davenport drew 1 million more viewers than the showdown between Roger Federer and Andy Roddick.

:dunno:

Took me six minutes to find it. I'm sure there are more examples. Apology accepted.

Are you really comparing the two? Men and women sports? Men and women sports tickets/viewership? Its not close. I can tell you why mens and women tennis is remotely close. Its not because of equal talent or play.

Are you really comparing the two? Men and women sports? Men and women sports tickets/viewership? Its not close. I can tell you why mens and women tennis is remotely close. Its not because of equal talent or play.

Not ALL sports. Tennis specifically. The reason doesn't matter if it sells tickets/promotes viewership.

Not ALL sports. Tennis specifically. The reason doesn't matter if it sells tickets/promotes viewership.

But it doesnt. You used 2 years of the entire US open, and one year of Wimbledons. Now, wanna compare allllllllllll the other years of all other tennis tourneys?

Took me six minutes to find it. I'm sure there are more examples. Apology accepted.

find what ? That both sold out ?

The woman's did faster ? And ?

Did that somehow make the venue or the tour more money?

I find that women are less likely to negotiate salary. That probably contributes to a pay gap.

I find that women are less likely to negotiate salary. That probably contributes to a pay gap.

Thats some of it, but in sports, its draw. Women dont draw the same as men, hence the lower pay. Thats a fact.

Women's volleyball should make more money than men's. First of all, those women's volleyball shorts :drool:.

Second, the men are so good that it forces the serving team to fire serves as hard as they possibly can to take the other offense out of system. That results in 25 missed serves a game and if they get a pass it's pretty much a gauranteed point. The women's game on the other hand goes back and forth more and has more game play.

I struggle with this. We are basically the only country that has this tipping culture.

If you try to tip here in china, they are insulted. It just isnt done.

I dont feel like its my responsibility as a customer to carry a businesses payroll for them. Pay your focking staff, and price your goods accordingly.

But youre right, it isnt fair to stiff a college kid making $2.13 an hour to make that point.

I draw the line at the cup by the register at Dunken. The worker is simply handing me the items I ordered right at the counter, no different than McDs or any other fast food joint.

Women's volleyball should make more money than men's. First of all, those women's volleyball shorts :drool:.

Second, the men are so good that it forces the serving team to fire serves as hard as they possibly can to take the other offense out of system. That results in 25 missed serves a game and if they get a pass it's pretty much a gauranteed point. The women's game on the other hand goes back and forth more and has more game play.

Same as Tennis. But that doesnt change the amount of viewership. Women in tennis are hotter, volleys last longer, game is actually better (im a huge tennis fan) then mens. But all that is moot when dealing with tv ratings and sponsorship, you know, what drives the salary.

But it doesnt. You used 2 years of the entire US open, and one year of Wimbledons. Now, wanna compare allllllllllll the other years of all other tennis tourneys?

Pen?