Sign in to follow this  
Old School

Mexico- anyone been there recently?

Heading to Mexico for a quick, cheap get away.

I havent been there in 7 or 8 wife 32Bs has never been.

Headed to the cheap tourist spot of Cancun- probably include a day trip to visit the Mayan ruins.

Other than the increased violence, shootings in public places, bombings on the ferrys in Cozumel, poison alcohol at the resorts- anything else to worry about?

Going to be a laid back, boring, relaxing, drunk vacation. Only leave the resort during the daylight hours, back at resort before dark.

Weather should be cooperating with highs in the mid 80s.

Hasta la vista motherfockers

• Like 1

Try to keep your head about you

I was in playa del carmen (near Cancun) summer before last. We did the Mayan ruins and the cenotes and all that (totally recommend the latter. Swimming in underground rivers through big caverns.

It was very nice. Of course, other than being driven in a van from the enormous resort to the tourist attractions and the airport, we never actually were really in Mexico.

From what I saw, they know that Cancun and auculpco and such places are important to the economy and dont take any focking around where the gringos and their money are. Lots of troops and cops around.

Totally safe imo.

About a year ago we went to Rocky Point (Puerto Penasco). I'm sure I told the story here of having to drive to a hospital in the barrio because a girl traveling with us got stung by a stingray. What I learned from that among other things is... drugs are hella cheap in Mexico. :thumbsup:

I had also typed something similar to Titans about the economy. You should be safe.

I have to admit, I have never really understood the difference between Baja and Mexico. I'm just never been to that region. And on a map it doesn't make that much sense to me either. I guess it's one of the many dead zones in my brain.

Havent been (even though was close to the border). Werent allowed in Mexico while in the military. But I hear to stay at the tourist areas and not to wander around

It's been some years. I dont think there is much danger in touristy places compared to other parts of the civilized world.

Make sure you stock up on pepto

It's been some years. I dont think there is much danger in touristy places compared to other parts of the civilized world.

Make sure you stock up on pepto

This

Really like Mexico, but haven't been since about 05. Check the travel advisories, but you should be fine.

Yucatan offers great diving (cozumel). i would do the cenotes. chichen itza, tulum, coba.

some fun parks if/when you leave your resort.

http://www.xelha.com/

http://www.xcaret.com/

Really like Mexico, but haven't been since about 05. Check the travel advisories, but you should be fine.

Yucatan offers great diving (cozumel). i would do the cenotes. chichen itza, tulum, coba.

some fun parks if/when you leave your resort.

http://www.xelha.com/

http://www.xcaret.com/

How expensive is it down there? Was thinking of going with the wife sometime soon.

How expensive is it down there? Was thinking of going with the wife sometime soon.

i find it very reasonable, with a wide $$$ range. also... a lot of all-inclusives. many restaurants and bars (great happy hours/specials) are pretty cheap...but i live in the bay area.

i find it very reasonable, with a wide $$$ range. also... a lot of all-inclusives. many restaurants and bars (great happy hours/specials) are pretty cheap...but i live in the bay area.

The all inclusive places are fine. Im talking about actually outside the hotels. Like places you go such as markets, restaurants, bars, etc. i usually book my vacations online so I find good deals for that. Just looking for fun things to do outside of the things at the resorts

The all inclusive places are fine. Im talking about actually outside the hotels. Like places you go such as markets, restaurants, bars, etc. i usually book my vacations online so I find good deals for that. Just looking for fun things to do outside of the things at the resorts

There is everything from dirt cheap spring breaker fare to high dollar six star fare. Its just a massive tourist sprawl really.

yes. very affordable. whether you go into cancun or stay closer to the sleepy towns money goes a long way down there imo. far better value than hawaii and many caribbean islands, but more variation with quality.

Gotcha. Yea Im trying to figure out where would be a really good place to go. Thinking Cancun but figured you guys might know a better place.

You are a doctor for crying out loud. Why worry about the cost ??

Oh yeah. That $15 an hour thing. My bad. :lol:

You are a doctor for crying out loud. Why worry about the cost ??

Oh yeah. That $15 an hour thing. My bad. :lol:

Tell me again how much youve drank today? Wont be long before youre face down in the bathroom.

Pssst. I make $35 an hour now and dont blow it all on alcohol unlike someone

Gotcha. Yea Im trying to figure out where would be a really good place to go. Thinking Cancun but figured you guys might know a better place.

these days i am not really into nightlife. i prefer cantinas to clubs. places i am looking to stay for our next visit are akumal, puerto morelos, puerto aventuras, tulum.... cozumel has places on both sides of the island with different feels. playa del carmen used to be a quiet town but has grown quite a bit. i will explore the options there as well...but personally, i like to try to avoid the crowds.

these days i am not really into nightlife. i prefer cantinas to clubs. places i am looking to stay for our next visit are akumal, puerto morelos, puerto aventuras, tulum.... cozumel has places on both sides of the island with different feels. playa del carmen used to be a quiet town but has grown quite a bit. i will explore the options there as well...but personally, i like to try to avoid the crowds.

Nah Im over the clubs. Like you said cantinas/bars are what I prefer. Last time I was at a club was the night I met my wife. Bunch of us got VIP in downtown SA for New Years and she came with my buddies wife.

Nah Im over the clubs. Like you said cantinas/bars are what I prefer. Last time I was at a club was the night I met my wife. Bunch of us got VIP in downtown SA for New Years and she came with my buddies wife.

you guys might like something in between...playa might be a good fit. somewhat central to everything, and the major ferry port to cozumel if you want to check that out for a day. iirc- when we have gone to the area, we have only done daily car rentals vs weekly. but if in playa and you plan on the day trips you might just want it for the week.

i definitely suggest getting scuba certified before the trip. excellent drift dives= effortless. can max your air supply due to little exertion.

you guys might like something in between...playa might be a good fit. somewhat central to everything, and the major ferry port to cozumel if you want to check that out for a day. iirc- when we have gone to the area, we have only done daily car rentals vs weekly. but if in playa and you plan on the day trips you might just want it for the week.

i definitely suggest getting scuba certified before the trip. excellent drift dives= effortless. can max your air supply due to little exertion.

I wouldnt mind doing some scuba. Wife might be a little hesitant. we watched that movie 47 meters down (think that was the name) where the two girls went scuba diving in Mexico to see sharks and the cage they were in had the chain break dropping them to the bottom. Sharks started attacking them. So wife is hesitant for that.

Hell when we were in Jamaica we went night snorkeling. Saw cool stuff but then it started getting choppy. Wind picked up and you saw lightning in the distance. So the guides told us to get back to the boat. Im a fast swimmer especially with fins and goggles on (thanks in large part to pararescue training). Wife was behind me when I was swimming back but when I got back to the boat she was already up there with her stuff off. She FLEW through the water to get back to the boat cause the storm that was coming was scaring her since she was in the water :lol:

we have only dove around monterey, carmel, san deigo, la jolla, hawaii, cabo, cozumel, isla mujeres, jamaica, and key west. most aggressive sharks we have seen were black tips in hawaii, but even those kept their distance from us. would definitely encourage your guys learn together...life long activity as a couple. if she is that resistant, then you should do it anyway. get down there and you dive and she hangs on the boat while you are in the water.

Oh I definitely want to learn. Im sure she does too. I think that movie just spooked her a bit lol. If anything we would at least do snorkeling. Did that in Jamaica as well as the Bahamas. Really enjoyed it

Sounds hot.

Pssssst I'd say that even if it wasn't you so don't get your panties in a bunch.

If you have never been to Xel Ha, you need to check it out. I'm sure it will always be one of the coolest experiences of my life

So not one of you decided to just google "violence Cancun"? I'll go over the broad strokes: 14 killed in 36 hours, travel advisory in affect. Yeah, you shouid be fine.

Tell me again how much youve drank today? Wont be long before youre face down in the bathroom.

Pssst. I make $35 an hour now and dont blow it all on alcohol unlike someone

Cool. Why the big bump? Did you get additional training or certified in different skills?

So not one of you decided to just google "violence Cancun"? I'll go over the broad strokes: 14 killed in 36 hours, travel advisory in affect. Yeah, you shouid be fine.

Would you like to get in on the life insurance policy I took out on them?

Would you like to get in on the life insurance policy I took out on them?

Americans are stupid.

Cool. Why the big bump? Did you get additional training or certified in different skills?

Psssst. ItsATip he is Lying

I flew to Monterrey a few years ago, en route to El Portrero Chico, a major climbing destination in a small town outside the city. Apparently Monterrey is on a major drug corridor, and travel there wasn't recommended. Didn't feel unsafe, but I'd check travel advisories and stick to touristy areas like others have said.

• Like 1

Sssshhhhh!

The ferry you speak of was bombed at least twice over the past few months. That has me a little concerned.

As stated above- the resorts run the gambit and prices vary accordingly.

We are doing a pretty reasonably priced all inclusive on the beach in Cancun. I expect to spend the majority of the time on property- one day trip to the Mayan ruins and one day trip to Cancun proper for some shopping- I know there is a few blocks on the main drag- well kept and safer than many areas.

If you have never been Cancun, Playa del Carmen, etc is solid. You can post about it on facebook and tell everyone at the BBQs this summer that you guys "did Cancun". Your friends will give plenty of likes and fist bumps.

As far as beaches, excursions, culture, food, safety, just about every single factor you can find better options in the Caribbean, elsewhere in Mexico (way farther south on the east coast, up and down the west coast), or Central America (Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama)

Cancun is what you get if Myrtle Beach and Disney had an anchor baby. It is the perfect place to go if your goal is to sit on the beach and drink frozen margaritas and mas cervezas with a bunch of Americans/Canadians. Sometimes that is what you are looking for and that is just fine. If you are looking for a little more adventure and culture it may be worth seeing what else is out there.

Safety wise? Don't stumble around drunk or go off in a strangers car looking for blow and you should be fine. The ferry bombings were personal attacks against a business opponent. The family who died in their room was due to a gas leak.

If you have never been Cancun, Playa del Carmen, etc is solid. You can post about it on facebook and tell everyone at the BBQs this summer that you guys "did Cancun". Your friends will give plenty of likes and fist bumps.

As far as beaches, excursions, culture, food, safety, just about every single factor you can find better options in the Caribbean, elsewhere in Mexico (way farther south on the east coast, up and down the west coast), or Central America (Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama)

Cancun is what you get if Myrtle Beach and Disney had an anchor baby. It is the perfect place to go if your goal is to sit on the beach and drink frozen margaritas and mas cervezas with a bunch of Americans/Canadians. Sometimes that is what you are looking for and that is just fine. If you are looking for a little more adventure and culture it may be worth seeing what else is out there.

Safety wise? Don't stumble around drunk or go off in a strangers car looking for blow and you should be fine. The ferry bombings were personal attacks against a business opponent. The family who died in their room was due to a gas leak.

Have been to Cancun many times. Last time we were there, our friends room had an AC issue and didn't want to give up the view or the location. So we spent $50 on a cab ride each way to Walmart to buy a couple of floor fans. There's a restaurant called Perichos in the bad part of town. Just outside of the city near Walmart.. Best Mexican food I ever have had.

Yup

I'm not the one going. I went to Playa Del Carmen a few years ago. I looked at the chances of crime and it did not indicate anything would likely happen.