Sign in to follow this  
Challenger

JuJu Smith-Schuster

I'm gonna play him at a wr 3 this week instead of garcon who has alternated good weeks so far and this is his down week. If Rogers is back an they keep his snaps the same someone gonna get squeezed out and it's gonna be Bryant who is underperforming

I think that's why is likely to happen too. I grabbed JuJu (dropped Lockett) just to sit on my bench for this week. If he does well enough, he may be starting alongside AB as Hopkins and Hogan go on byes.

No I didn't. I was listing boring-azz names given by parents without an ounce of imagination. "What's popular and common? We'll name our kid that!"

Those names you listed are 1000 times better.

Yeah, I way prefer to pull random letters from my scrabble bag and call my kid that. I'll pull 8 letters for the first 2 kids. Dqinertk. Hahaha. You can.use that one. Lets try another...Zclopote.

They are all yours....☺

Yeah, I way prefer to pull random letters from my scrabble bag and call my kid that. I'll pull 8 letters for the first 2 kids. Dqinertk. Hahaha. You can.use that one. Lets try another...Zclopote.

They are all yours....☺

Because that's what people are doing. Sure thing.

You know what's funny too? Asian names. They're so not white names! LOLZ

Oh man, these are even stupider: Mosi, Manti, Manu, Lofa, Maa, Nuu, Kaluka...hilarious! FFS, just go with Colton already!

Asians in the tech field...take white names. Zin shoo wee becomes Tammy. We zhong pi becomes Brad...they sure have hard time getting jobs with names like that.

Asians in the tech field...take white names. Zin shoo wee becomes Tammy. We zhong pi becomes Brad...they sure have hard time getting jobs with names like that.

Asians across the board often take additional western names. Mostly because westerners just can't pronounce their actual names. But yeah, hiring biases are part of it too.

They are all yours....☺

Zclopote - good sleeper

I have a South Korean girlfriend. Her name is Kelly. I like it.

Plus, there is a difference when you go into different countries. These are all people in this country that I am talking about.

Honestly, it doesn't matter that much to me. I just thought it funny when people have such weird first names. But I didn't know Juju was a nickname is all. And I know a bunch of Caitlins who sound their names the same but spell it differently.

I just think a lot of the names that are being used here in the states over the past 20 years look like random scrabble letter draws. And these are not people that moved here from somewhere else.

I don't see any trends in other countries that use the scrabble technique to name their children, but more power to ya if want to.

I have a bunch of Indian friends and they all do this to make life easier. My own last name is not easy for a lot of people to pronounce but I never correct them if they say it wrong over the phone or in a store. Who cares?

These are all people in this country that I am talking about.

Why is that important? The United States isn't a cultural monolith. There are all kinds of US citizens living in all kinds of cultures and sub-cultures within our borders that have all kinds of different naming traditions. My current least-favorite is suburban white, personally.

Random letters are a far cry from actual linguistic phonemes being put together in ways you aren't familiar with. Finnish is a crazy language for English speakers to look at. But it has rules, just like the tradition that gives us D'Brickashaw. That name is as far from being 'random' as 'John' is. What you're trying to say is that non-European names are 'random'. And of course that's just blatantly false. 'Random' does not mean 'unfamiliar'.

Asians across the board often take additional western names. Mostly because westerners just can't pronounce their actual names. But yeah, hiring biases are part of it too.

It's not a hiring bias. Now you are just trying to stir something up. i work with tons of people in my company who's name shows as their real name officially in the company, but they choose easier names (many of them have first names with 12-16 letters in it) for everyone. Even when they talk to each other they shorten them. But that does not keep them out of work. I know someone who's first name is Shahrukhkhan. Hired and working here in the states.No big deal.

And by the way, the majority of these guys only shorten their names to Indian versions of their name. They are not changing their names to Marty, or Peter. Very small % do that if it translates easily.

I was only talking about people born and raised in this country.

Scrabble.

It's not a hiring bias. Now you are just trying to stir something up. i work with tons of people in my company who's name shows as their real name officially in the company, but they choose easier names (many of them have first names with 12-16 letters in it) for everyone. Even when they talk to each other they shorten them. But that does not keep them out of work. I know someone who's first name is Shahrukhkhan. Hired and working here in the states.No big deal.

Really? I am trying to stir things up? Look again. I didn't even raise that issue to begin with. Stop trying to pick a fight.

For the record, the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'. Your own experiences in your company are not 'proof' that there is not bias in hiring based on names. 'Black' sounding names are widely known to face hiring biases in the US, while in France for example anything 'foreign' sounding faces bias. Asian names in Canada face biases in hiring as well.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ruchikatulshyan/2014/06/13/have-a-foreign-sounding-name-change-it-to-get-a-job/#428e46455316

http://finance.youngmoney.com/careers/is-your-name-stopping-you-from-getting-a-job/

http://www.hireimmigrants.ca/wp-content/uploads/Final-Report-Which-employers-discriminate-Banerjee-Reitz-Oreopoulos-January-25-2017.pdf

So, if things in your company are great, that's great. But if you want to talk about overall trends, I'll trust data gathered scientifically over you just looking around at your workplace. :)

Really? I am trying to stir things up? Look again. I didn't even raise that issue to begin with. Stop trying to pick a fight.

For the record, the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'. Your own experiences in your company are not 'proof' that there is not bias in hiring based on names. 'Black' sounding names are widely known to face hiring biases in the US, while in France for example anything 'foreign' sounding faces bias. Asian names in Canada face biases in hiring as well.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ruchikatulshyan/2014/06/13/have-a-foreign-sounding-name-change-it-to-get-a-job/#428e46455316

http://finance.youngmoney.com/careers/is-your-name-stopping-you-from-getting-a-job/

http://www.hireimmigrants.ca/wp-content/uploads/Final-Report-Which-employers-discriminate-Banerjee-Reitz-Oreopoulos-January-25-2017.pdf

So, if things in your company are great, that's great. But if you want to talk about overall trends, I'll trust data gathered scientifically over you just looking around at your workplace. :)

You took it into hiring bias around the world. I was just talkong about how Juju sounds like a teletubby name. And how people use scrabble to name their kids here these days. It is funny.

And I dont care what they do in France. I have a stake in all of it here in the US. Ill do my part and you do yours.

Juju is a nickname for Juliana so in that sense it is a little funny. But it doesn't matter just as one of the greatest male surfers of all time is named. Kelly

You took it into hiring bias around the world. I was just talkong about how Juju sounds like a teletubby name. And how people use scrabble to name their kids here these days. It is funny.

No, I didn't 'take it there'. I commented when someone else 'took it there'. And it's also still an actual existing thing.

'Using scrabble' is just insulting, that's all. If you find it funny, fine. It's like me saying that suburban white soccer moms are using cowboy movies to name their kids. Dylan and Wyatt and Dallas and Colt. Their imagination is reflected in the houses they build and the minivans they drive. To me, that is funny. People being creative and living in a different culture than me I find interesting, not funny. But that's just me :)

Juju is a nickname for Juliana so in that sense it is a little funny. But it doesn't matter just as one of the greatest male surfers of all time is named. Kelly

Kelley is a pretty common guy's name. Now Rosie...there's a football player with a not commonly male name. And of course Christine Michael. And the great Josephine Namath.

Kelley is a pretty common guy's name. Now Rosie...there's a football player with a not commonly male name. And of course Christine Michael. And the great Josephine Namath.

My favorite unfortunate name is ex detroit lions player Harry Colon. What is that all about?

My favorite unfortunate name is ex detroit lions player Harry Colon. What is that all about?

Yeah...maybe his parents hated him. D.i.ck Trickle always got me too. My parents were kind enough to even make sure my initials didn't spell anything kids could latch onto.

No joke, and I know this is a sort of meme, but I honestly attended the same high school as a guy named Michael Hunt. Hand to God. He was the nicest guy, but really...come on, Mr. and Mrs. Hunt.

Yeah...maybe his parents hated him. D.i.ck Trickle always got me too. My parents were kind enough to even make sure my initials didn't spell anything kids could latch onto.

No joke, and I know this is a sort of meme, but I honestly attended the same high school as a guy named Michael Hunt. Hand to God. He was the nicest guy, but really...come on, Mr. and Mrs. Hunt.

Parents should have been charged with child abuse.

Knew a guy named Cheryl. No shitt. At no time was that ever a boy's name. Ever.

Knew a guy named Cheryl. No shitt. At no time was that ever a boy's name. Ever.

Shannon

Stacy

Kim

Kelly

Dana

Sandy

Just a few guys I know with girl names

Shannon

Stacy

Kim

Kelly

Dana

Sandy

Just a few guys I know with girl names

You forgot Carroll as in Carroll O'Conner. aka Archie Bunker.

JuJu had a nice TD grab albeit running wide open down the middle of the field. He also had another play that would've gained him 25 yards but the corner made a great play on the ball and JuJu couldn't come up with it. Maybe most importantly for JuJu was the fact that Martavis was once again missing on the stat sheet despite the fact that a report came out earlier in the day that the plan was to get Bryant heavily involved. I played JuJu this week with injuries and bye weeks but will continue to stash and monitor him going forward.

I would love for them to just ship bryant and give JuJu the role.

Both true stories:

First: I have a buddy who when to school with a girl named Helen Bed, showed me the yearbook even. Very, very little forethought on the parents part there.

Second: Ex-GF went to LSU. She calls me one night and tells me she has the twin girls in her class, Lemonjella and Orangejella. I say BS and laugh of course, and she swears to me it's true. Years later, my sons are watching Disney and some show is on called "Detention". I'm barely paying attention but perk up when I hear one character say "C'mon Lemonjella, let's just go" (or something similar) and the other says "Alright, Orangejella". They are twin sistes on the show. I'm stunned. So I watch to the end of the episode. I catch the writers name, and it's a freakin French/Cajun name. I look up his background and sure as sh!t he graduated from LSU around the same time.

Lemonjella and Orangejella

I think I'd much rather be named JuJu than named after Lemon Jello and/or Orange Jello. Urban legend, maybe...but sounds credible.

I went to high school with a guy who's dad's name was Ben Dover. Not even joking. he's a real estate agent in ga.

Harold ###### was a name listed in the phone book where I used to live way back in the day. I'm sure he got a lot of prank calls.

Censored his last name. Starts with "D" and rhymes with "ick".

My sister-in-law works for Child Services, one kids name was "Sh!thead", pronounced Shi-Thed.

I have a friend who worked as a social worker. kids name was Hijk pronounced No L. This is not a joke. His bothers name was Cash Money.

My sister-in-law works for Child Services, one kids name was "Sh!thead", pronounced Shi-Thed.

Guy I worked with who was from Louisiana said he went to high school with a "Shi'thead"...also pronounced Shi-Theed.

BTW...in a serious note...apparently JuJu is in the concussion protocol.

A real work email thread from a few years back about a sales lead, I kid you not...

Lead Name: Pyle

Mike: A whole "pyle" of them

Chris: Haha I remember coming across this lead a while back and chuckling to myself

Mike: Yea I saw your name on it and didn’t care called him anyway cuz I needed to talk to Pyle if I could

Chris: I mean, everyone should try to talk to Pyle if possible.

Brent (Me): Now Mike, that’s Chris’ Pyle. You give it back to him.

Chris: Now, Brent, everyone knows that I like to share my Pyle.

Beauty of working at a company with no HR department.

It's adolescent and sophomoric, but I used to work a big ass bank (JPMorganChase) with two guys on the same team guy named "Pu Tang" and "Harry Wang". Comedy gold Jerry...GOLD!

A real work email thread from a few years back about a sales lead, I kid you not...

Lead Name: ###### Pyle

Mike: A whole "pyle" of them

Chris: Haha I remember coming across this lead a while back and chuckling to myself

Mike: Yea I saw your name on it and didn’t care called him anyway cuz I needed to talk to ###### Pyle if I could

Chris: I mean, everyone should try to talk to ###### Pyle if possible.

Brent (Me): Now Mike, that’s Chris’ ###### Pyle. You give it back to him.

Chris: Now, Brent, everyone knows that I like to share my ###### Pyle.

Beauty of working at a company with no HR department.

the word was D ick obviously; not censored in the email thread at all.