Sign in to follow this  
LoOnAtIk

Danny Woodhead or Branden Oliver

In all formats. Oliver wasn't bad as a pass catcher out of the backfield last year and he can actually break tackles too. Any Chargers homers wanna weigh in?

In all formats. Oliver wasn't bad as a pass catcher out of the backfield last year and he can actually break tackles too. Any Chargers homers wanna weigh in?

Oliver HAD to catch passes last year because Woodhead was hurt, but the passing back role is Woodhead's without question. I don't think Oliver will have a defined role to start the season. He'll spell both Gordon and Woodhead when needed I assume, and maybe be the clock killer in the 4th quarter when SD is sitting on a big lead. He could get some carries early in the year, if they aren't comfortable giving Gordon a full work load right off the bat. Other than, I'm not expecting much, without an injury in front of him.

Woodhead for sure IMO. I think Woodhead retakes the roll he had in 2013 and I think will really eat in to Gordon's possible numbers. Oliver was only significant last year due to injuries and would need one or maybe even two injuries this year to be FF relevant.

Not even close its Woodhead .

I don't understand the constant Woodhead hype. An undersized specialty role player is all he's ever been. He's 30 years old, has played 16 games just twice in his six year career, and he's essentially had ONE good year for PPR leagues only.

2013 was the only season where he's surpassed 1,000 yards from scrimmage. And while it's great to think hypotheticals for this season, does anyone really expect him to get the 100 rushing attempts he did in 2013? While injuries and lack of talent helped, the Chargers went from averaging 4.0 yards per carry in 2013 to 3.4 in 2014. What exactly changed on their porous O-line this offseason to warrant any optimism from anyone in the Chargers backfield? Just trying to understand...

But...to each their own.

I don't understand the constant Woodhead hype. An undersized specialty role player is all he's ever been. He's 30 years old, has played 16 games just twice in his six year career, and he's essentially had ONE good year for PPR leagues only.

2013 was the only season where he's surpassed 1,000 yards from scrimmage. And while it's great to think hypotheticals for this season, does anyone really expect him to get the 100 rushing attempts he did in 2013? While injuries and lack of talent helped, the Chargers went from averaging 4.0 yards per carry in 2013 to 3.4 in 2014. What exactly changed on their porous O-line this offseason to warrant any optimism from anyone in the Chargers backfield? Just trying to understand...

But...to each their own.

For me its a lack of talent to compete with. Woodhead isnt going to lead the league in rush attempts, but oliver and gordon are both meh imo. That leaves the guy who can be trusted on pass downs and is a very hard worker.

Woodhead has had three good PPR season , now 2013 was his best one , but in 2010 he had 97 att and had 926 total yards so that's not bad either . In 2013 he avg 14.2 points per game on 2012 he avg 10.4 per game and in 2010 he avg 10.8 so im not sure if he can duplicate 2013 but if he can reach around let's say 2010 or 2012 per game avg I think that's a good pick up for ppr .

If anyone watched Oliver last season, he definitely passes the eye test. If he had a decent O-line I think he could have put up excellent stats last year. He's small enough to hide behind his blockers, shifty enough to make people miss, and strong enough to run people over as well. He doesn't have breakaway speed which hurts his value but he just scored a 70 yard TD on a short dump off in the preseason. This guy is intriguing. Woodhead may have the higher floor but this guy's ceiling is on another level.

I don't understand the constant Woodhead hype.

- he has a clearly defined role, which he excels at

- trust of the coaching staff and vet QB

- gets a ton of third down work, and two minute drill

- is generously used in the red zone ... he gets scoring chances in close, doesn't need to 'break one' to hang up six

see, when you're snagging players down in his adp range, you're mostly hoping they can 'beat someone out' or step in for an injured starter eventually ... not so with the Woodman. he gon' get his, and this is the least complicated backfield the kid has ever had to navigate :thumbsup:

but, hey ... if you're in my league(s), by all means, whiff on the dude ... i'll gladly take him :dunno:

this is PPR goodness up in here, a must draft for all playing to win :banana:

If anyone watched Oliver last season, he definitely passes the eye test. If he had a decent O-line I think he could have put up excellent stats last year. He's small enough to hide behind his blockers, shifty enough to make people miss, and strong enough to run people over as well. He doesn't have breakaway speed which hurts his value but he just scored a 70 yard TD on a short dump off in the preseason. This guy is intriguing. Woodhead may have the higher floor but this guy's ceiling is on another level.

For me it was actually the opposite. Oliver did the typical beat up on weak run defenses, and then disappear against stronger ones. Some of it is oline. In Dallas he would put up solid numbers, but to me he is just your average rb.

For me it was actually the opposite. Oliver did the typical beat up on weak run defenses, and then disappear against stronger ones. Some of it is oline. In Dallas he would put up solid numbers, but to me he is just your average rb.

I mean I know the jets are pathetic and they were demoralized but didn't he run wild on them? They had a strong run D at that point in the season, if it wasn't the best.

- he has a clearly defined role, which he excels at

- trust of the coaching staff and vet QB

- gets a ton of third down work, and two minute drill

- is generously used in the red zone ... he gets scoring chances in close, doesn't need to 'break one' to hang up six

see, when you're snagging players down in his adp range, you're mostly hoping they can 'beat someone out' or step in for an injured starter eventually ... not so with the Woodman. he gon' get his, and this is the least complicated backfield the kid has ever had to navigate :thumbsup:

but, hey ... if you're in my league(s), by all means, whiff on the dude ... i'll gladly take him :dunno:

this is PPR goodness up in here, a must draft for all playing to win :banana:

I think his "clearly" defined role was before Oliver got to town. I really think Oliver has a better skill set to excel in Woodhead's own role. Other than catching passes Woodhead can only do so much. Oliver is the stronger of the 2 so I assume Oliver would also be better in pass protection too.

I pretty much have Woodhead on my DND list even in PPR because you can probably snag Oliver much later than Woodhead. Woodhead might have the higher floor but that floor is pretty damn low.

In PPR Oliver was not too shabby in all the games he started and got at least 10 carries. I believe he scored at least 10 points in just about all of those games. That's about the best you can expect for Woodhead right? 5-7 points per week unless he finds the end zone. I'll pass.

If Woodhead has the higher floor then I will take him late over taking Oliver with the Lower floor late .

Oliver and Woodhead will need injuries to one another to be relevant. If they're both healthy and starting for one of your teams, unless it's a 16 teamer, you're hurtin'

Oliver and Woodhead will need injuries to one another to be relevant. If they're both healthy and starting for one of your teams, unless it's a 16 teamer, you're hurtin'

I will be most likely starting Woodhead as my rb2 in a 10 team non ppr. I am ok with it.

If Woodhead has the higher floor then I will take him late over taking Oliver with the Lower floor late .

That's where you and I differ. Near the end of the draft idgaf about the floor but rather go for best potential. Essentially the diamond in the rough. If he fails to make any impact then I cut him. Low risk potentially high reward. Woodhead is low risk with the guarantee of a low reward. I just don't see the point.

Will in ppr I see him with good value he is going to be the rb that is used in the passing game .

That's where you and I differ. Near the end of the draft idgaf about the floor but rather go for best potential. Essentially the diamond in the rough. If he fails to make any impact then I cut him. Low risk potentially high reward. Woodhead is low risk with the guarantee of a low reward. I just don't see the point.

A rb like Woodhead has very good value. Sure you can shoot for the stars all day and end up with goose eggs. One of your top 2 rbs goes down you will wish you had a Woodhead in ppr to just be steady in that position. I have had a ton of teams where if i could have just had one more solid rb to plug in each week i would have made the playoffs. And trust me i am all about ceiling on late round players.

I will be most likely starting Woodhead as my rb2 in a 10 team non ppr. I am ok with it.

oh my soul

A rb like Woodhead has very good value. Sure you can shoot for the stars all day and end up with goose eggs. One of your top 2 rbs goes down you will wish you had a Woodhead in ppr to just be steady in that position. I have had a ton of teams where if i could have just had one more solid rb to plug in each week i would have made the playoffs. And trust me i am all about ceiling on late round players.

I would agree with this if his role was as cemented as you guys believe it to be. I really think the coaching staff loves Oliver and it could potentially cut into his work.

I would agree with this if his role was as cemented as you guys believe it to be. I really think the coaching staff loves Oliver and it could potentially cut into his work.

Ok i can understand that. On Oliver, i think his receiving stats were pushed because he had to take the Woodhead role. When he faced tougher defenses he ran like shlt. Trust me. I had him in a league where i was desperate for rbs and couldnt coint on him.

i started Oliver in my championship game and I was ecstatic with the 9 points he gave me @SF. He also played well week 17 @KC when they needed to win to get in the playoffs. Yeah they lost, but Oliver played well.