Sign in to follow this  
GettnHuge

So the VP frontrunner is.... Condi Rice?

Abortion:

Rice said "If you go back to 2000 when I helped the president in the campaign. I said that I was, in effect, kind of libertarian on this issue. And meaning by that, that I have been concerned about a government role in this issue. I am a strong proponent of parental choice—of parental notification. I am a strong proponent of a ban on late-term abortion. These are all things that I think unite people and I think that that's where we should be. I've called myself at times mildly pro-choice."[94] She would not want the federal government "forcing its views on one side or the other."[95]

Rice said she believes President Bush "has been in exactly the right place" on abortion, "which is we have to respect the culture of life and we have to try and bring people to have respect for it and make this as rare a circumstance as possible" However, she added that she has been "concerned about a government role" but has "tended to agree with those who do not favor federal funding for abortion, because I believe that those who hold a strong moral view on the other side should not be forced to fund" the procedure

So she's Pro-Choice, however thinks the Federal Gov't should have limiting power on it, late term abortions are not good, and is generally not in favor of federal funding for it. That's exaclty my stance. :thumbsup:

I wonder if this experience would help with our budget?

Couldn't hurt, but I would question;

A. How deeply involved and influential is the VP in budget decisions?

2. How applicable is having solved the budget problems of relatively small college to our national budget problems, which are more complex by several orders of magnitude?

Of all 4 people on both Tickets combined Condi would be the most qaulified and most intelligent to be president LOL.

Condi would be the most influencial VP maybe ever ( moreso than even Cheney ) - She would basically run foreiegn policy and Romney the economy issues -- would be be more like a co presidency

Couldn't hurt, but I would question;

A. How deeply involved and influential is the VP in budget decisions?

2. How applicable is having solved the budget problems of relatively small college to our national budget problems, which are more complex by several orders of magnitude<

III. I have no idea. :doublethumbsup:

But like you said, it couldn't hurt. I get your point. Rice's 'reality' probably doesn't meet her 'perception'. However what I do like is that she doesn't seem to get caught up as much in the 'politician' part of D.C. You know, the sleazy back room deals part. She's most certainly made mistakes and isn't infallable, but she comes across as a stand up woman. Who's very very smart, articulate and self aware. With National Security experience, working in D.C. experience, academic experice (Provost at Stanford) and she has crediblity.

:dunno:

III. I have no idea. :doublethumbsup:

But like you said, it couldn't hurt. I get your point. Rice's 'reality' probably doesn't meet her 'perception'. However what I do like is that she doesn't seem to get caught up as much in the 'politician' part of D.C. You know, the sleazy back room deals part. She's most certainly made mistakes and isn't infallable, but she comes across as a stand up woman. Who's very very smart, articulate and self aware. With National Security experience, working in D.C. experience, academic experice (Provost at Stanford) and she has crediblity.

:dunno:

Oh, I think she's credible enough, and she could in fact be a very good choice. I have just never understood the level of love she gets given some of her history and past results.

Personally I'm conflicted on Rice; I find some of her past actions suspect, and would have a tough time voting for anyone who was a key part of the Iraq invasion sales team, but I also feel like she is actually pretty compentent and would much rather see someone like her than a hard-core social conservative put there to please the base. :dunno:

yer Mom

;)

At least when Cheney shoots her in the face no one goes to the emergency room. :thumbsup:

At least when Cheney shoots her in the face no one goes to the emergency room. :thumbsup:

:first:

Oh, I think she's credible enough, and she could in fact be a very good choice. I have just never understood the level of love she gets given some of her history and past results.

Personally I'm conflicted on Rice; I find some of her past actions suspect, and would have a tough time voting for anyone who was a key part of the Iraq invasion sales team, but I also feel like she is actually pretty compentent and would much rather see someone like her than a hard-core social conservative put there to please the base. :dunno:

I think her and Powell both had previously said that Iraq was not a threat but then they went along with the Cheney WMD scam. I always liked her and Powell and thought they were very bright but I don't think she was very forceful in her role because it seemed like Cheney ran roughshod over her and Powell in the runup to Iraq. There is no way I think she would be a more powerful VP than Cheney. I don't know if we will ever see as influencial a VP as Cheney.

Lets briefly review Noonans argument for Rice to appreciate just how wrong it is. Rice is a figure of obvious and nameable accomplishment? Which accomplishment would that be? Completely failing to do a competent job as National Security Adviser? Presiding over the worst period of U.S.-Russian relations since the Cold War? Facilitating Hamas takeover of Gaza? Advising Bush as he embarked on one of the greatest debacles of post-WWII U.S. foreign policy? Helping to shape one of the most disastrous foreign policy records of modern times? Take your pick. No one can take any of that away from her. Her accomplishment is obvious. Noonan says that Rice wouldnt be learning on the job. Certainly not. She didnt seem to learn anything while she was in her previous administration positions, so why start now? Choosing her as the VP nominee would have a certain boldness. Then again, driving off of a cliff demonstrates a certain boldness.

The American Conservative - Noonans Brilliant Choice: The Absurdity of Condi Rice as the VP Nominee

Youch. :lol:

Another quote from the same guy;

Rice did a lousy job as National Security Adviser and Secretary of State, and she has the unusual distinction of being distrusted and disliked by many neoconservatives, most realists, and all non-interventionists in almost equal measure. She is closely associated with an administration that was widely regarded as incompetent in the conduct of foreign policy, and she helped to craft one of the least successful foreign policy records of any postwar administration. Those are her qualifications in the area in which she is considered an expert. On everything else, her policy views are either out of step with the majority of her party or unknown, and she has never run for office at any level. Romney certainly needs someone to make up for his lack of foreign policy experience and knowledge, but Rice would be one of the worst conceivable people to have in that role.

Don't get the love for Rice; national security advisor when 9/11 was carried out, and Secretary of State at a time in which our international diplomatic standing was pretty low by most accounts. I also don't know why everyone assumes she will be such a debate powerhouse when, as RP astutely observed, she's never held an elective position and doesn't seem terribly comfortable in front of a microphone. Debating is as much about charisma and experience as intelligence. I think a lot of GOPs just like the fact that she is a black woman, and thus steals some of the Dems thunder on those fronts. If she was a white guy with that resume I don't think she would be such a darling of the party.

I tend to agree with this. Honestly, I always thought of Rice as a substandard flunky. I have nothing against her personally but I don't really think she's that bright. And no, it has nothing to do with her party affiliation, because as far as Republicans go she is actually quite moderate.

I think her and Powell both had previously said that Iraq was not a threat but then they went along with the Cheney WMD scam. I always liked her and Powell and thought they were very bright but I don't think she was very forceful in her role because it seemed like Cheney ran roughshod over her and Powell in the runup to Iraq. There is no way I think she would be a more powerful VP than Cheney. I don't know if we will ever see as influencial a VP as Cheney.

Agree. I remember reading somewhere that she would stand up to Cheeney in briefings and he would pull her aside like a child. When they came back, she never spoke directly to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veOfWtDhPYg

If he is looking for Foreign Policy experience , National security experience , overall intellect , political experience , Whitehouse experience , incredibly well spoken, the women vote , as well as maybe even swaying the educated Black vote -- then yeah I guess Condi would be the choice.

Condi as the running mate -- IF she would do it is a focking no brainer and Mitt has to know this

Leave the Economy to the Businessman Romney -- and Foreign policy to Condi who is MUCH more in the frame of mind of a Colin Powell in that area than she was W.

I don't really think she's that bright.

Compared to who? :unsure:

In 1974, at age 19, Rice was inducted into the honor society Phi Beta Kappa, and was awarded a B.A., ###### laude, in political science by the University of Denver. While at the University of Denver she was a member of Alpha Chi Omega, Gamma Delta chapter.[14] She obtained a master's degree in political science from the University of Notre Dame in 1975. She first worked in the State Department in 1977, during the Carter administration, as an intern in the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. In 1981, at the age of 26, she received her Ph.D. in political science from the Josef Korbel School of International Studies at the University of Denver. Her dissertation centered on military policy and politics in what was then the communist state of Czechoslovakia.

Rice is an accomplished pianist and has performed in public since she was a young girl. At the age of 15, she played Mozart with the Denver Symphony, and while Secretary of State she played regularly with a chamber music group in Washington.[11] She does not play professionally, but has performed at diplomatic events at embassies, including a performance for Queen Elizabeth II,[30][31] and she has performed in public with cellist Yo-Yo Ma and singer Aretha Franklin.[32] In 2005, Rice accompanied Charity Sunshine Tillemann-######, a 21 year-old soprano, for a benefit concert for the Pulmonary Hypertension Association at the Kennedy Center in Washington.[33][34] She has stated that her favorite composer is Johannes Brahms, because she thinks Brahms's music is "passionate but not sentimental." On a complementary note, on Friday, April 10, 2009 on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, she stated that her favorite band is Led Zeppelin
:headbanger:

She also served on the board of directors for the Carnegie Corporation, the Charles Schwab Corporation, the Chevron Corporation, Hewlett Packard, the Rand Corporation, the Transamerica Corporation, and other organizations

Lets see your resume Worms for a compare/contrast. Since she isn't bright and all.

Honestly, I always thought of Rice as a substandard flunky. I have nothing against her personally but I don't really think she's that bright.

Yeah -- Professor's ( then later Provost) at Stanford tend to be not that bright.

Yeah -- Professor's ( then later Provost) at Stanford tend to be not that bright.

Over under on how long until someone posts "affirmative action" ?

On being called an 'Uncle Tom' by Black Democrats and Hollywood:

Rice has defended herself from such criticism on several occasions. During a September 14, 2005 interview, she said, "Why would I worry about something like that? ... The fact of the matter is I've been black all my life. Nobody needs to tell me how to be black.

:first:

If he is looking for Foreign Policy experience , National security experience , overall intellect , political experience , Whitehouse experience , incredibly well spoken, the women vote , as well as maybe even swaying the educated Black vote -- then yeah I guess Condi would be the choice.

Condi as the running mate -- IF she would do it is a focking no brainer and Mitt has to know this

Leave the Economy to the Businessman Romney -- and Foreign policy to Condi who is MUCH more in the frame of mind of a Colin Powell in that area than she was W.

I'm going to ask again what it was that Rice accomplished on the foreign policy front in the past that gives you such confidence in her abilities there? I don't recall her doing much but sh!tting the bed for the most part.

Also, it's a "no brainer" for a candidate who's biggest struggle is trying to shirk the "too moderate" label to bring another moderate on board as his running mate? I don't know about that, and I think a lot of GOP strategists would disagree with you.

I'm going to ask again what it was that Rice accomplished on the foreign policy front in the past that gives you such confidence in her abilities there? I don't recall her doing much but sh!tting the bed for the most part.

Also, it's a "no brainer" for a candidate who's biggest struggle is trying to shirk the "too moderate" label to bring another moderate on board as his running mate? I don't know about that, and I think a lot of GOP strategists would disagree with you.

A. You can't put 9/11 on Rice. She started in January of 2011. Bin Laden and his cronies had been starting to carry out that for years by then. That plan was already in the works. Blaming Rice for 9/11 is akin to blaming Obama for the Housing Crisis. :thumbsdown:

But she was on the right path in those short 9 months on the job, maybe if Clinton would've hired her years earlier 9/11 wouldn't of happened. :huh:

Rice has also been a frequent critic of the intelligence community's inability to cooperate and share information, which she believes is an integral part of preventing terrorism. In 2000, one year after Osama bin Laden told Time [h]ostility toward America is a religious duty,"[39] and a year before the September 11 terrorist attacks, Rice warned on WJR Detroit: "You really have to get the intelligence agencies better organized to deal with the terrorist threat to the United States itself. One of the problems that we have is a kind of split responsibility, of course, between the CIA and foreign intelligence and the FBI and domestic intelligence." She then added: "There needs to be better cooperation because we don't want to wake up one day and find out that Osama bin Laden has been successful on our own territory

A. You can't put 9/11 on Rice. She started in January of 2011. Bin Laden and his cronies had been starting to carry out that for years by then. That plan was already in the works. Blaming Rice for 9/11 is akin to blaming Obama for the Housing Crisis. :thumbsdown:

Plans can be stopped up until they're executed. I don't "blame" Rice for 9/11, but she didn't do much that might have helped prevent it either, to the best of my knowledge. And before anyone brings up "CLINTON!", yeah, he didn't do ###### either.

But she was on the right path in those short 9 months on the job, maybe if Clinton would've hired her years earlier 9/11 wouldn't of happened. :huh:

That's funny because I believe that Richard Clarke specifically identified her as one of the people he appealed to in the months before 9/11 to take the AQ threat more seriously, but was rebuffed because she, along with other members of the Bush admin, were consumed with Russia at the time. Her Russian expertise was the reason she was brought on board after all.

As far as her statements, the words are nice, but what did she do in her role as NSA that interim year to help facilitate those changes she was talking about?

Racist! :mad:

Compared to who? :unsure:

:headbanger:

Lets see your resume Worms for a compare/contrast. Since she isn't bright and all.

Am I being floated as a Vice Presidential candidate? :unsure:

Plans can be stopped up until they're executed. I don't "blame" Rice for 9/11, but she didn't do much that might have helped prevent it either, to the best of my knowledge. And before anyone brings up "CLINTON!", yeah, he didn't do ###### either.

That's funny because I believe that Richard Clarke specifically identified her as one of the people he appealed to in the months before 9/11 to take the AQ threat more seriously, but was rebuffed because she, along with other members of the Bush admin, were consumed with Russia at the time. Her Russian expertise was the reason she was brought on board after all.

As far as her statements, the words are nice, but what did she do in her role as NSA that interim year to help facilitate those changes she was talking about?

This is correct. Rice and Bush were repeatedly warned by the NSA that Al Qaeda was planning an attack in the United States and they didn't do sh!t about it. I don't think it's fair to put all of the blame for 9/11 on their shoulders, but they sure as hell didn't help the matter.

Now hold on a second, how in the fock is Obama going to play the race card if this happens. THis could destroy OBama's entire campaign.

Nah - picking Rice allows BHO to trumpet the failures of the previous regime loud and long.

I really like Condi, but she would be a strategic mistake paired with a lemon that needs some serious help. She wouldn't get many of the black votes away from Obama.

Susana Martinez could deliver a lot of Hispanic votes...no?

Agreed - no help. And with Romney's stance on immigration, no one can help him deliver hispanic votes.

Of all 4 people on both Tickets combined Condi would be the most qaulified and most intelligent to be president LOL.

Condi would be the most influencial VP maybe ever ( moreso than even Cheney ) - She would basically run foreiegn policy and Romney the economy issues -- would be be more like a co presidency

Hmmm...no.

Yeah - I think nominating Rice would be a win for the dems.

What's his name from Ohio - Rob Portman? I thought his name was the top of the list. Good state to pick from, and he's far less moderate than Rice, which should please the base.

I think the republicans need to go with a solid non controversial conservative for vp. They should avoid a guy like Christie as well. Pick out a boring candidate that the press will ignore. The republicans need to make this election about Obama. The dems need to make it about Romney. Unfortunately this is the sad state of American politics today.

This is correct. Rice and Bush were repeatedly warned by the NSA that Al Qaeda was planning an attack in the United States and they didn't do sh!t about it. I don't think it's fair to put all of the blame for 9/11 on their shoulders, but they sure as hell didn't help the matter.

Al Qaeda is always "planning" attacks on the U.S.

Exactly what would you have done if you knew Al Qaeda was "planning an attack" on the United States that would have prevented 9/11?

More I think about it the more I think Rubio is the best one -- Condi or Ryan would do a better Job but Rubio would help the election more. As a Latino he can get alot of Latino votes which is key and lock Florida up. Or go with Portman to get the key state of Ohio.

I like Condi but having her bring W back into the discussion. Condi is 10000000X better than a Sarah Palin but as I said she bring W back into the eqaution

Give me white and fat any day over anything else and dumb

Why would you want Kate Upton as VP?

I like Condi but having her bring W back into the discussion. Condi is 10000000X better than a Sarah Palin but as I said she bring W back into the eqaution

Like the dems have ever let him fall out of the discussion. :lol:

Like the dems have ever let him fall out of the discussion. :lol:

If Romney had the Election wrapped up basically I would Condi would be a no brainer with all her experience - but he needs to win in a dog fight and Rubio or Portman are the best -- Rubio injects the concept of the first Latino VP and locks up Florida -- if Not get Portman where you could get Ohio out of it -- in a close race it usually comes down to who wins Ohio and Florida.