Sign in to follow this  
Bezzerck

Worth of a rookie QB in dynasty

What is the worth of a rookie QB in a dynasty league? I have the next pick in a 12 team league and I will be a ble to land either Vince Young or Matt Leinart. I already have Culpepper and Trent Green and their back ups so I feel I am set at the position for both now and in the future. I am however weak at the WR position and will be starting (3) Hines Ward, Jerry Porter and Antonio Bryant with Justin Macareins and Mike Williams as Bye week fill-ins.

I am debating trading my rookie pick for a decent WR - Issac Bruce, Eddie Kennison or Joe Horn + vernard Morency (I have DD and Antwain Smith) and a mid/late second round pick.

My question is - is trading away the best QB prospects worth an aging vet and a 2nd rounder - probably jennings WR - GB or best available IDP.

I don't know how much of my future to mortgage here and I need a little help.

What is the worth of a rookie QB in a dynasty league? I have the next pick in a 12 team league and I will be a ble to land either Vince Young or Matt Leinart. I already have Culpepper and Trent Green and their back ups so I feel I am set at the position for both now and in the future. I am however weak at the WR position and will be starting (3) Hines Ward, Jerry Porter and Antonio Bryant with Justin Macareins and Mike Williams as Bye week fill-ins.

I am debating trading my rookie pick for a decent WR - Issac Bruce, Eddie Kennison or Joe Horn + vernard Morency (I have DD and Antwain Smith) and a mid/late second round pick.

My question is - is trading away the best QB prospects worth an aging vet and a 2nd rounder - probably jennings WR - GB or best available IDP.

I don't know how much of my future to mortgage here and I need a little help.

I think it's a good move to trade away the prospect. QBs are more of a crap shoot than any other position in the draft. For every Brett Favre and Culpepper there are 3-4 Tim Couch's, Browning Nagles, Cade McNowns, and Akili Smiths. I think if you can land a Joe Horn, Morency, and turn that 2nd rounder into Jennings, you've done much more for your team than draft Leinart or young. This is because you have Culpepper for next year (if he doesnt' surprise this year as people are expecting) and Green for this year. I think a Ward, Horn, Bryant combo w/Porter and McCareins as bye week fill-ins help you more than waiting on one of those other two QBs to be good in 2-4 years.

I agree with Wildman that you should trade away the pick. The QB position is the hardest one to predict, so many factors come into play. You do need the help at WR and getting another good WR aging or not will do more for your team than a struggling rookie QB. Take a chance on another rookie QB with the 2nd round pick. Thanks for answering my post.

I'd take Lienhart. He could play this year, and you can stash him a way. If he does play well, you can get more for Green or Culpepper later in the year for some team looking to make the playoffs... or if not, you know you will be set for a backup when Trent Green retires in a year or two.