Sign in to follow this  
TBayXXXVII

Would you trade Winston and sign Brees?

This is an NFL question, not a fantasy one. This topic was brought up and wanted to get an outsider view on this.
Basically, here's the topic. Tampa has Winston about to enter his 4th year with a optional 5th the next year. If you could get a good return for him (your opinion on "good return"), would you trade him if you were able to get Brees on a 5-year contract?

This is an NFL question, not a fantasy one. This topic was brought up and wanted to get an outsider view on this.

Basically, here's the topic. Tampa has Winston about to enter his 4th year with a optional 5th the next year. If you could get a good return for him (your opinion on "good return"), would you trade him if you were able to get Brees on a 5-year contract?

Not if I'm Tampa. But if I were Minnisota in that situation, then yes. I don't like Winston all that much, but I only go after Brees if I'm in right now mode. Like Jax.

Brees on a 5 year contract? He's 39.

No, I would keep Winston.

If I had a win now team I'd pursue Brees. But TB is not a win now team and Winston can at least grow into the job whereas Brees has a year or maybe 2 left.

Nope no way.

I would keep Winston also.

Good question, thanks.

My personal .02. Winston isn't the problem. Koetter is.

But I also don't really know Tampa's inner workings. It's only a casual observation on my part.

No, because of their comparative age and the fact that Tb is not close to a title. Winston is also underrated.

Maybe if it was 2 years ago. Drew's arm is getting weaker by the second. Brees also doesn't get Tampa over the hump.

He'll yeah. You might get a ham sandwich for that turnover machine. He's absolute garbage. Puts up big stats in garbage time after he's already lost the game for them. Dumb as a rock as well. Get brees and draft a new QB.

If I had a win now team I'd pursue Brees.

the key concept. jax and min are the paradigm cases here: well-built teams that need a puzzle piece.

the key concept. jax and min are the paradigm cases here: well-built teams that need a puzzle piece.

Well, the people I was talking too seemed to think that the Bucs are close to championship levels. Hence why the topic was made.

Silly people.

Well, the people I was talking too seemed to think that the Bucs are close to championship levels. Hence why the topic was made.

gently inform those people that the 32nd ranked total defense is not "close to championship levels", then drive home from the psychiatric care unit in which you found them.

gently inform those people that the 32nd ranked total defense is not "close to championship levels", then drive home from the psychiatric care unit in which you found them.

I think they were 24th in PPG given up. Still not great.

The question boils down to would you rather have a QB who is winding down or one that is retarded. I would pick brees.

Here was something else that was in the realm of my thinking. Of course, I don't know what the league-wide opinion is on Winston, but if the Bucs could get one of the Browns first two picks plus a 2nd rounder for Winston, they'd have a shot at both Barkley and Chubb. They'd solve the RB problem plus add a top DE prospect. They'd also have two of the first 7 picks in the 2nd round to add more to the DLine and/or OLine. If you had Brees for at least 3 years with DJax, Barkley, Evans, Howard and/or Brate, you would have a very prolific offense. McCoy is an excellent DT with little help on the ends. If they added a guy like Chubb (or Key), plus another player from the 2nd round, they could have a great team.

Here was something else that was in the realm of my thinking. Of course, I don't know what the league-wide opinion is on Winston, but if the Bucs could get one of the Browns first two picks plus a 2nd rounder for Winston, they'd have a shot at both Barkley and Chubb. They'd solve the RB problem plus add a top DE prospect. They'd also have two of the first 7 picks in the 2nd round to add more to the DLine and/or OLine. If you had Brees for at least 3 years with DJax, Barkley, Evans, Howard and/or Brate, you would have a very prolific offense. McCoy is an excellent DT with little help on the ends. If they added a guy like Chubb (or Key), plus another player from the 2nd round, they could have a great team.

There is literally NO team in ALL of the NFL that would give 2 first round picks and a 3rd for winston. He is half a step away from dying because he forgot to breathe.

There is literally NO team in ALL of the NFL that would give 2 first round picks and a 3rd for winston. He is half a step away from dying because he forgot to breathe.

I didn't think they'd give up 2 firsts, I said one of their firsts and their 2nd (meaning a second round pick). Specifically, getting picks #4 and #35. Giving the Bucs picks 4, 7, 35, and 38.

Even if both Barkley and Chubb are gone by pick 4, they could trade that pick to the Bills for picks 21 and 22 while taking Key 7th. Then, they'd still have 4 picks in the top 40. Draft value chart says that pick 4 is worth 1800 points while 21 and 22 are 1550. Yeah, this is going overboard, but the Bucs could trade picks 4 and 104 (1886) for picks 21, 22, and 55 (1900). That would give Tampa a Super Bowl caliber QB, and 6 of the top 55 picks in the draft.

It's a draft that could yield...

#7: DE - Arden Key

#21: DE - Sam Hubbard

#22: OT - Kolton Miller

#35: RB - Ronald Jones

#38: CB - Tarvarus McFadden

#55: OG - Mason Cole

I would keep Winston, Bress isn't going to win with that team.

Praying for you in Fla.

Tampa's problem is defense, offensive line, running back, so let's not put all of the blame on Winston. Brees has only succeeded NFL-wise when he has had a good defense.

The original premise that Tampa could get Brees has not been established let alone on a 5-year contract. What would Tampa give up to do a sign and trade deal with a QB that can be franchise tagged by the Saints?? Do you think there is any chance NO cuts him??

I get it that some Tampa fans would like to cut shrimp bait with Winston. He has the skills and potential to be a franchise Qb, but Mariotta would have been my choice in the draft.

I would have taken Mariota also.

If it were possible, yes. The Bucs could get something for Winston now, or, hope he pans out. Hope generally doesn't happen in the NFL. The smart money would be on Brees.

Why would be the smart money be on Bress?

I'm not attacking those that believe Bress would be a better move, I'm just wondering why you see it that way.

He's better yes, but this is not a team that's ready to produce right now, and he's what 40 now.

I not think taking Bress builds a winner in the coming future, nor right now.

The original premise that Tampa could get Brees has not been established let alone on a 5-year contract. What would Tampa give up to do a sign and trade deal with a QB that can be franchise tagged by the Saints?? Do you think there is any chance NO cuts him??

I get it that some Tampa fans would like to cut shrimp bait with Winston. He has the skills and potential to be a franchise Qb, but Mariotta would have been my choice in the draft.

Most Tampa fans hate the Saints so much that Drew Brees being on the team would cause a mutiny. They would burn down One Buc Place if the team moved Winston for Brees.

In the real world, the Saints will tag Brees (if they don't re-sign him - as he's currently a UFA). For the Bucs to get him, they'd only need money and be willing to part with pick #7 and a first round pick next season. Also, most Tampa fans (being FSU homers), absolutely love Winston and thought that the idea of Mariota (at the draft), was a ridiculous notion.

WITHOUT A DOUBT you make this move!!

39 today isn't old at all. Brees got a good 3-4 years left in that arm. That offense with Brees would be deadly.

3-4 years in NFL term is a lifetime. Winston have shown only enough to indicate he's a marginal NFL QB with questionable leadership abilities.

Deadly how so?

Last season the Saints lean on the running game more then ever before.

What do the Bucs lack, yeah a running game.

He's not the same player, it would be a mistake for the future of the team.

Nope it would be a big mistake, they aren't going too be be deadly with Bress or without him next season.

What do you get for winston? This is a big part of the situation.

In the argument I was making to the Buc faithful, I said if I could get picks #4 and #33 (from Cleveland), it's a deal I'd take.

Here's what I think would happen...

Cleveland trades out of #1 because they don't need a QB anymore and they could get a lot in return. Trade down to someone like Arizona who is a bit out of reach of the best options at QB. The Giants take a QB and the Colts draft Chubb. That would leave Barkely to the Bucs at #4. In order to get Brees, the Saints would had to have franchised him and it would cost the Bucs their #7 pick (and a 1st in 2019). IF the Colts take Barkley, the Bucs would take Chubb and would have picks #33 and #38 to draft someone like Derrius Guice, Sony Michel, Ronald Jones, or Royce Freeman. They'd also be able to get another DE or an OL at the other pick.

If by some miracle, the Bucs could get Brees for less, then it's even more of a reason to do a deal.