Sign in to follow this  
Alias Detective

Flu Shot

Yes. Stop being pussies, just get the damn thing.

Got mine last week, sore arm for a day or two. No big deal.

Typical flu shot efficacy ~40%

Likelihood of getting flu each year 5-20%

Likelihood of dying from flu - low, ~36K die/year in US

Likelihood of serious reaction to the vaccine - very low, ~1-2 per million vaccinated

Minor reactions (soreness, muscle aches, respiratory symptoms lasting a day or two) are common ~65%

If you aren't at the extremes of age and healthy, you may not be helping yourself much - though reducing missed work due to flu has big economic consequences. But collectively, high vaccination rates help vulnerable populations.

I always get it.

• Like 1

Nope.

Wife and kids get it. So i let them protect me.

I have never got one at had the flu pretty bad last year..will probably look into having it

The Flu shot isn't designed to protect you from the stomach flu (Gastroenteritis). It's protects you from influenza, which is NOT stomach flu.

Flag this thread for 13 weeks from now when the media reports that the flu is ravaging vulnerable individuals and how this year's particular strain of flu vaccination is not effective against the current flu virus that is decimating those vulnerable individuals.

It's the same story every fuucking year. In order to mass-produce enough of the vaccine, they produce the stuff like 18 months in advance. Meanwhile, shockingly, the flu virus as always mutates and so we have a bunch of people getting shots for no really good fuucking reason.

Can't Stand the anti vax crowd. But the way the flu vaccination is handled is freaking stupid.

The Flu shot isn't designed to protect you from the stomach flu (Gastroenteritis). It's protects you from influenza, which is NOT stomach flu.

Correct, but some people get gastrointestinal symptoms from influenza.

There is no single 'stomach flu'.

Ok? I didn't have a stomach flu. Had flu B

Find this thread for 13 weeks from now when the median answers that the flu is ravaging vulnerable individuals and how this year's particular strain of flu vaccination is not effective against the current flu virus that is decimating those vulnerable individuals.

It's the same story every ###### year. In order to mass-produce enough of the vaccination, they produce the stuff like 18 months in advance. Meanwhile, shockingly, the flu virus as always mutates and so we have a bunch of people getting shots for no really good fuucking reason.

Can't Stand the anti vax crowd. But the way the flu vaccination is handled is freaking stupid.

So you're familiar with the logistics of vaccine preparation and influenza mutation rate? By the sound of your post, the answer is no.

So you're familiar with the logistics of vaccine preparation and influenza mutation rate? By the sound of your post, the answer is no.

Well then, you read fer sport.

The goal is to predict which strains will hit the population hardest during each hemispheres winter. Its a tough goal, since flu viruses mutate quickly. Based on the WHO analysis, officials from each country decide which flu strains to include in their local vaccine. Then, drugmakers have to actually make the vaccine.

But each seasons shot is essentially a best guess at which flu will be circulating that winter. Sometimes the experts are wrong about which viruses will dominate, and that makes the vaccine less effective. (Its perfectly effective against the strains it was designed to tackle.) During the 20152016 flu season, the vaccine basically cut your chances of infection in half: its effectiveness rating was about 48 percent. The year before that, the vaccine was way less effective

******at only 19 percent.******

The goal is to predict which strains will hit the population hardest during each hemispheres winter. Its a tough goal, since flu viruses mutate quickly. Based on the WHO analysis, officials from each country decide which flu strains to include in their local vaccine. Then, drugmakers have to actually make the vaccine.

But each seasons shot is essentially a best guess at which flu will be circulating that winter. Sometimes the experts are wrong about which viruses will dominate, and that makes the vaccine less effective. (Its perfectly effective against the strains it was designed to tackle.) During the 20152016 flu season, the vaccine basically cut your chances of infection in half: its effectiveness rating was about 48 percent. The year before that, the vaccine was way less effective

******at only 19 percent.******

It ain't 18 months ahead, dipsh!t. They include multiple strains based on the current year's dominant strain and the strain the seems to be emerging late season - usually two each for flu A and B. The whole process takes about 6 months.

19% is a low efficacy year. As I already stated, it typically is closer to 40%.

Fair enough. Glad you were able to recover from it. :thumbsup:

Was in January while running the ecology course I run.. drive from NY to Florida cooped up in a 15 passenger van with students... Out of the 26 of us in the course 16 or so of us caught it due to close quarters.

Was in January while running the ecology course I run.. drive from NY to Florida cooped up in a 15 passenger van with students... Out of the 26 of us in the course 16 or so of us caught it due to close quarters.

ughh...that sucks balls. Did you fail the student who gave it to you all? :)

19% is a low efficacy year. As I already stated, it typically is closer to 40%.

You really don't get how sarcasm and exaggeration work around here do you? The point is and was that they produce the based on a crapshoot months ahead of time when the vaccine mutates faster than these factors can even start the production process.

You do understand how math works right? 50% is a coin toss at best.

The way they market and fear Monger this like you're guaranteed to die of the flu if you don't get a flu shot is retarded.

If there is any truth in advertising applied to these guys they'd have to come out and say "well yeah basically it's a coin toss. On our very best super duper best year. Other times? Four out of five times you're going to get the flu anyway."

Our own FDA restricts the advertising of OTC meds that have a higher efficacy rate then the God damn flu shot. Think about that.

I havent had the Flu of any sort in probably a decade. I havent had a real common cold in probably 6 or 7 years. I have never got the shot.

But maybe ill give it a try this year as a test to see how I feel. Watch it aill be the year I finally get sick.

You really don't get how sarcasm and exaggeration work around here do you? The point is and was that they produce the ###### based on a ###### crapshoot months ahead of time when the ###### vaccine mutates faster than these factors can even start the production process.

You do understand how math works right? 50% is a ###### coin toss at best.

The way they market and fear Monger this ###### like you're guaranteed to die of the flu if you don't get a flu shot is ###### retarded.

If there is any truth in advertising applied to these guys they'd have to come out and say "well yeah basically it's a coin toss. On our very best super duper best year."

Our own FDA restricts the advertising of OTC meds that have a higher efficacy rate then the God damn flu shot. Think about that.

I understand, but vaccine development ain't random.

As far as math goes, you realize multiple strains circulate at any given time, which differ from region to region, and each strain can and will mutate. So it ain't a coin flip to decide which strains to include in the vaccine, unless your coin has a lot more than two sides.

Quite the man you are.

only one little fish. :wall:

I need better bait. :(

Typical flu shot efficacy ~40%

Likelihood of getting flu each year 5-20%

Likelihood of dying from flu - low, ~36K die/year in US

Likelihood of serious reaction to the vaccine - very low, ~1-2 per million vaccinated

Minor reactions (soreness, muscle aches, respiratory symptoms lasting a day or two) are common ~65%

If you aren't at the extremes of age and healthy, you may not be helping yourself much - though reducing missed work due to flu has big economic consequences. But collectively, high vaccination rates help vulnerable populations.

I always get it.

40% of the time, it works every time.

but yeah, I get a shot every year, cause I'll take 40% efficacy over hoping I don't get it. Flu sucks.

40% of the time, it works every time.

but yeah, I get a shot every year, cause I'll take 40% efficacy over hoping I don't get it. Flu sucks.

Yeah, people aren't too bright. They don't want the shot because it isn't 100% effective, or they'll skip it for fear of a 1 in a million reaction.

Yeah, people aren't too bright. They don't want the shot because it isn't 100% effective, or they'll skip it for fear of a 1 in a million reaction.

Isn't 100 percent. Lol , that's rich. LOL 😁

The AMA itself says that rigorous, frequent hand washing has a higher efficacy rate. 😁

Can you imagine if somebody tried to market birth control that way? 😄

Tomorrow, I'll explain placebos to you...

Absolutely. Have young kids and don't want them missing school sick or making me miss work sick. Will stop getting them when they're older.

I've never had the flu and up till last year - had never gotten a shot.

But I'm damn near 50 now and the firm pays for them - they even come up to the office.... So what the hell.

Fock, why does every thread here become a pissing match? Anyways, the shot makes it less likely I'll get the flu, and target gives $5 if you get it there, so why the fock not?

Never. Ive never had the flu. Flu shots are a Scam.

Fock, why does every thread here become a pissing match? Anyways, the shot makes it less likely I'll get the flu, and target gives $5 if you get it there, so why the fock not?

You do realize that's how they implant the devices, right?

You do realize that's how they implant the devices, right?

I realize you may actually believe that....

I realize you may actually believe that....

When is the last time you got pregnant? They're deliberately keeping your sterile.

Isn't 100 percent. Lol , that's rich. LOL

The AMA itself says that rigorous, frequent hand washing has a higher efficacy rate.

Can you imagine if somebody tried to market birth control that way?

Tomorrow, I'll explain placebos to you...

If people washed their damn hands and coughed/sneezed correctly, a lot of diseases could be prevented. But the next time you’re loitering the truck stop restroom, drop what you’re doing and count how often that often that occurs.

Never had one. Never needed one.

I had to get one because of my newborn, but I usually do not get one.

If people washed their damn hands and coughed/sneezed correctly, a lot of diseases could be prevented. But the next time you’re loitering the truck stop restroom, drop what you’re doing and count how often that often that occurs.

Wash your hands alot and make a conscious effort not to touch your face and you are not getting the flu. Save someone sneezing in your face. I don't take the flu shot. I never did when I worked in hospitals either, wore a mask during flu season per the rules.