Sign in to follow this  
mattcoz

Running back with highest upside?

I'm in a small league so I already have a nice stable of running backs. Larry Johnson, Ronnie Brown, Brian Westbrook, Reuben Droughns, and Jamal Lewis. What I'm looking for is a guy that has a chance to really break out and be one of the top backs in the league by the end of the season. Is Joseph Addai that guy? Mike Bell? Obviously it's a crapshoot, but I feel I'm in a position where I can take a big chance.

Both have great potential. Keep an eye on both and see who performs better early (I expect MBell) but I expect Addai to perform better as the season progresses.

They're both on the waiver wire right now, so I put in a request for both with Addai as the higher priority.

That's the point, I want to take a risk on a guy that could pay off big time, I don't have much to lose. If I can get a guy that turns into a top 10 RB by the end of the year, I'll be unstoppable.

well, Addai is good in the character department, and because he can actually block, they will use him.

but from what I've seen in exhibition, he hasnt run the ball effectively so far. That's not to say the potential isnt there, but my feeling is that he is developing a little more slowly than most Indy fans had hoped. I think that if he turns into a solid fantasy player you probably wont see it happen until late in the year or sometime next year. I think the colts will need to coach him a little more and develop him a bit more before hes ready for prime time.

you know he'll get playing time because of his blocking ability, so hes not a bad gamble in a dynasty league.

and if you have an extra roster spot it may not hurt you to grab & hold him til you see what he does in the first couple regular season games. Sometimes Exhibition doesnt really show what a player can do. Some coaches will take a player and use him on plays where he needs development (thus making him look bad, but giving him practice in a real live situation)

for example... if he is good on sweep plays & draw plays, but needs work reading the blocking schemes on traps, the coach may run one sweep, one draw, and 6 traps so that he can get the practice and coaching he needs. then they break down the film and tell him what he's doing wrong.

come regular season he may not get the same breakdown in terms of type of play.

so while he hasnt looked excellent in the games I saw, this may not tell the whole tale.