Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

Motorola Droid Razr Maxx vs. iPhone 4S

We haven't had an Android vs. iPhone discussion in a while, so... I'm looking to upgrade my Blackberry and am considering the Maxx, wondering if anyone here has it and/or has an opinion. Benefits over the iPhone 4S seem to be:

- Awesome battery life, spec is about 3X longer usage vs. iPhone

- 4G vs. 3G

- Much larger screen, but thinner and comparable weight

- 32GB vs. 16GB (or 32GB on iPhone adds $100 to the price$#@!)

- It's not an iPhone

Benefits of iPhone:

- It's an iPhone

- Siri, although I hear there is a comparable app (some say better) for the Droid

- My kids will think I'm cool

The Razr doesn't run ICS operating system yet, but it is supposed to be available the end of this month. I may let others wring out the bugs before I install it anyway.

The biggest problem I have today, and is a must for a new phone, is seamless sync with Google contacts and calendar (multiple mail domains have not been a problem). Google Sync on my Blackberry sucks ass. I figure since Google owns Moto, this should not be a problem. Or maybe the merger of the companies has caused a clusterfock?

Thoughts? Feel free to recommend another phone. TIA.

We haven't had an Android vs. iPhone discussion in a while, so... I'm looking to upgrade my Blackberry and am considering the Maxx, wondering if anyone here has it and/or has an opinion. Benefits over the iPhone 4S seem to be:

- Awesome battery life, spec is about 3X longer usage vs. iPhone

- 4G vs. 3G

- Much larger screen, but thinner and comparable weight

- 32GB vs. 16GB (or 32GB on iPhone adds $100 to the price$#@!)

- It's not an iPhone

Benefits of iPhone:

- It's an iPhone

- Siri, although I hear there is a comparable app (some say better) for the Droid

- My kids will think I'm cool

The Razr doesn't run ICS operating system yet, but it is supposed to be available the end of this month. I may let others wring out the bugs before I install it anyway.

The biggest problem I have today, and is a must for a new phone, is seamless sync with Google contacts and calendar (multiple mail domains have not been a problem). Google Sync on my Blackberry sucks ass. I figure since Google owns Moto, this should not be a problem. Or maybe the merger of the companies has caused a clusterfock?

Thoughts? Feel free to recommend another phone. TIA.

Don't give in Jerry :(

I remember you made a post a few months ago about how and why you supported Android versus occutard phone. You were correct then (more of an open source) and you will be correct now if you buy the Droid.

Apple equates to communism and conformity.

Don't go there :nono:

Don't give in Jerry :(

I remember you made a post a few months ago about how and why you supported Android versus occutard phone. You were correct then (more of an open source) and you will be correct now if you buy the Droid.

Apple equates to communism and conformity.

Don't go there :nono:

You might wanna put Sux on ignore for the remainder of this thread. He clearly has nothing of substance to add here.

I just pre-ordered the GS3.. You may want to check it out.

My link

Thanks. I thought about adding that as a 3rd option, but I haven't looked into it enough. Why that vs. the Maxx?

Thanks. I thought about adding that as a 3rd option, but I haven't looked into it enough. Why that vs. the Maxx?

Here is a good comparison breakdown of Verizon's current top smart-phones. I like the 2 GB internal RAM and the screen size. Plus overall, I've had pretty good luck with Samsung products in the past. There is nothing wrong with the Maxx though and, I hear the battery life is top notch.

You will really enjoy the jump from a Blackberry regardless of the phone you choose.

The sync with google is flawless on any phone running android OS. Not sure I could live without it after using it for the last 2 years.

Here is a good comparison breakdown of Verizon's current top smart-phones. I like the 2 GB internal RAM and the screen size. Plus overall, I've had pretty good luck with Samsung products in the past. There is nothing wrong with the Maxx though and, I hear the battery life is top notch.

You will really enjoy the jump from a Blackberry regardless of the phone you choose.

best right now is the Galaxy note. I have the Moto Admiral 4g basically a blackberry with a bigger screen and I like it as its easier to to to txt /email than a touch screen

best right now is the Galaxy note. I have the Moto Admiral 4g basically a blackberry with a bigger screen and I like it as its easier to to to txt /email than a touch screen

The Note is a damn fine phone but, I'm assuming he is on Verizon since he is considering the Maxx though. Verizon as of now doesn't carry The Note.

I work tech support for the big cell company.

The SGIIIs is the same price and really the first gen 4 smartphone. Worth pre-ordering, check the link above. Just too many features to mention. The first Galaxy has had some issues though. Who knows, seems really nice though. Not sure how battery life is going to be.

No need to even consider the 4s with the 5 coming out this fall. Apple just released new mapping software and other sync updates. 5 well be a nice 4g phone. If you like apple then wait for this. The whole Apple thing is too much for me. Once you go there you are kinda locked into IEverything.

The MaXX is solid and a safe bet for a 2 year run. Can't really go wrong. Best battery life there is. Great screen, just don't test the gorilla glass thinking it well be funny. It's really fast too.

I just got the The Commando. Kinda slow, a bit buggy. But it's a man's phone.

Meets Military Standards 810G for: Immersion, Rain, Shock & Dust Resistant, Vibration, Salt Fog, Humidity, Solar Radiation, Altitude, Low and High Temperature Storage

Here's a couple paraphrased reviews:

Biker dude "Fell out my pocket at 50." Phone was fine.

Dad "Stupid son took pictures under water". Speaker dried out and phone was fine.

Mom "I break phones." Phone working.

Taxi cab driver "I threw it at someone." Still getting calls.

Don't forget about the HTC Resound. Worth a look. Almost 0 problems.

ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich, Google's newest mobile phone operating system) is bad ass, none of the bugs Ginger Bread(the old OS) had.

The sync with google is flawless on any phone running android OS. Not sure I could live without it after using it for the last 2 years.

I work tech support for the big cell company.

The SGIIIs is the same price and really the first gen 4 smartphone. Worth pre-ordering, check the link above. Just too many features to mention. The first Galaxy has had some issues though. Who knows, seems really nice though. Not sure how battery life is going to be.

No need to even consider the 4s with the 5 coming out this fall. Apple just released new mapping software and other sync updates. 5 well be a nice 4g phone. If you like apple then wait for this. The whole Apple thing is too much for me. Once you go there you are kinda locked into IEverything.

The MaXX is solid and a safe bet for a 2 year run. Can't really go wrong. Best battery life there is. Great screen, just don't test the gorilla glass thinking it well be funny. It's really fast too.

Don't forget about the HTC Resound. Worth a look. Almost 0 problems.

ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich, Google's newest mobile phone operating system) is bad ass, none of the bugs Ginger Bread(the old OS) had.

Thanks to both of you, really great info. The S III looks pretty awesome; yes I'm on Verizon, and they say you can pre-order it for 7/7 delivery. I wonder how accurate that is though... early reviews on CNET from the UK release.

Any comments on phone sound quality (Maxx vs. say the Samsung S II)? I want to use this as my primary phone. Unfortunately, most reviews are so focused on the wizzy other features that they barely get around to the "phone" part of the phone.

Alright you focks, fock you for confusing me by pointing out the new Samsung. :mad:

Anyway... have any of you bought a Verizon phone (or maybe any phone?) through Amazon? They have the cheapest price, but how does that work? Does it change over my service plan to be some "new" plan through Amazon, or is it just a phone purchase that works through my existing plan? TIA.

You might wanna put Sux on ignore for the remainder of this thread. He clearly has nothing of substance to add here.

What a good capitan you are. Going down with the sinking ship that is the iphone and all.

I salute you :banana:

What a good capitan you are. Going down with the sinking ship that is the iphone and all.

I salute you :banana:

Says the guy who doesn't even own a smartphone... :rolleyes:

Says the guy who doesn't even own a smartphone... :rolleyes:

Says the girl that doesn't own a Mig welder... :rolleyes:

Remember. They're all just trying to be as good as the iphone.

Initially, yes. Now the iphone is the one fighting the uphill battle.

I just pre-ordered the GS3.. You may want to check it out.

My link

:thumbsup:

I'm still using the Galaxy 1 and love it.

:thumbsup:

I'm still using the Galaxy 1 and love it.

I still don't have any cool sunglasses, but I love you anyways :wub:

Skids, maybe two ago, I tagged onto one of your threads about new phones. Now I'm following again.

My BB Tour has been pretty good, but its time for something better!

X

X

What does X mean?

Did I speel sumthing wrong? :unsure:

Alright you focks, fock you for confusing me by pointing out the new Samsung. :mad:

Anyway... have any of you bought a Verizon phone (or maybe any phone?) through Amazon? They have the cheapest price, but how does that work? Does it change over my service plan to be some "new" plan through Amazon, or is it just a phone purchase that works through my existing plan? TIA.

Not sure about the Amazon (I don't think Amazon has it's own plans) thing but, Verizon is changing it's data plans at the end of the month 6/28. You may want to take a look depending on when you are upgrade eligible.

My link

Not sure about the Amazon (I don't think Amazon has it's own plans) thing but, Verizon is changing it's data plans at the end of the month 6/28. You may want to take a look depending on when you are upgrade eligible.

My link

Thanks for the info; all the more reason to upgrade now! :banana:

I asked about Amazon because a while back I thought about upgrading, and Amazon was also cheapest. I clicked it and it sent me to a separate "Amazon Wireless" page which was different than a regular Amazon one. It kinda looked like Amazon was reselling Verizon (and other I presume) services. My concern is that we get a 20% discount from Verizon through my wife's work, and a $50 savings in phone price would pale in comparison if we lost that discount by switching "away" from Verizon as the official provider.

Remember. They're all just trying to be as good as the iphone.

Bingo. Open source = worse compatibilty more diversity.

You want the Porsche that requires dealership service or the Honda with a wicked cool turbocharger you bought off eBay ???

Both run 12's in the quarter mile

Bingo. Open source = worse compatibilty more diversity.

You want the Porsche that requires dealership service or the Honda with a wicked cool turbocharger you bought off eBay ???

Both run 12's in the quarter mile

I would want to be able to ugrade my car myself versus relying on someone else.

You can... it's called jailbreaking-you dope.

I don't see why any working woman would let her no good, non working husband spend $300 on a PHONE!

HTH

the 4s is at this point...but thats because of how much has come out since the 4s.

Any notion that Apple is this great thing above all else is crap. They make very good products, so do other companies.

The Galaxy SIII looks fantastic of the Verizon choices right now...2GB ram quite nice.

PRetty big battery on it and I would put it from specs a touch above the Maxx.

Will be considering the SIII vs the EVO LTE on sprint in the next few months.

If you like having a slideout keyboard on your phone the droid 4 is a nice option.

I use my phone to post on the forums, and if the phone doesnt have a keyboard then the virtual keyboard takes up half the screen.

You can... it's called jailbreaking-you dope.

So you are saying that Jailbreaking your Iphone gives you the same admin type of access to your os as rooting a Droid? :lol:

Try again sweetie.

So you are saying that Jailbreaking your Iphone gives you the same admin type of access to your os as rooting a Droid? :lol:

Try again sweetie.

For the average user jailbreaking is enough. It's also much easier to install third party applications and remove them, than rooting. :rolleyes:

For the average user jailbreaking is enough. It's also much easier to install third party applications and remove them, than rooting. :rolleyes:

The 'average jailbreaker' is still camped out in some states capital city, crapping on cop cars and wondering why the media isn't giving him the 'attention' that he so rightfully deserves anymore. :rolleyes:

Apple = Lemmings

Granted, they built a great initial system (both PC and mobile), but the proprietary aspect of their devices don't work too well anymore with the informed.

Just a heads up for ya

The 'average jailbreaker' is still camped out in some states capital city, crapping on cop cars and wondering why the media isn't giving him the 'attention' that he so rightfully deserves anymore. :rolleyes:

Apple = Lemmings

Granted, they built a great initial system (both PC and mobile), but the proprietary aspect of their devices don't work too well anymore with the informed.

Just a heads up for ya

You sound like a tool. HTH

You sound like a tool. HTH

For the record, I'm about to wrap my hand around my tool (I wish my hands were bigger) and watch some possum pron. :wub:

Update$#@! Got the Maxx. Same price as their online site. I'm pretty sure that the S3 is a little better in several areas, although the Maxx battery should still be better, and I'm not sure I want a phone QUITE that big. Mostly though I got it because the S3 isn't out until July, and I may have federal jury duty next week and we're going to Disney for a week on the 4th. Basically a little instant gratification. Also, Verizon is moving away from unlimited data plans in July, and I don't trust them to grandfather me if I pre-order. ICS would have been nice, but it is coming soon on the Maxx, so I figure I'll do just fine with a proven (albeit older) OS and port over after other early adopters wring out the bugs.

Early comments:

- Sweet jeebus this is fast. Websites and videos pop up almost instantly and have run seamlessly so far.

- The move to Android is a big change for me, after a lifetime of Blackberry. The BB has some features and/or ways of doing things which may or may not be better, but they are ingrained in my haid. So while I've hit some "why does it do that?!" moments, I'm chalking it up to Android and not the Maxx specifically. I'll wait until I learn how to use it before drawing a final judgment.

- I dig the Smart Apps. Not sure if this is available on other phones, but you can easily set up custom preferences. E.g., I've set night to only notify me if one of my kids calls or texts, so I can leave it on by the bed at night when the kids sleep over somewhere and know they can reach us.

- Email: Google sync was flawless, with email, calendar, and contacts. Other email addresses though... I have a Yahoo one that didn't sync yesterday, but sync'd today, and I don't know why. My work one is through a GoDaddy server, which should have sync'd fine but I put in the wrong password initially. This was very confusing to change after the fact; in hindsight I should have just deleted it and started over.

- Siri: There are multiple siri-like apps; I just downloaded one called "Assistant" which has gotten great reviews. So far, pretty impressive. It couldn't find my one daughter in my contacts (the putz) but it found my wife and other daughter, not sure why. Maybe it knows how mad I was at her? But it recognizes your voice very well, finds links, maps out locations, calls and texts on voice command.

Sure, some people are like that. Can make is faster, more hands on for maintenance. Give and take, pros and cons

Good thread. Im getting a new phone today. My dilemma is a new Android (I already have the HTC EVO) vs. the iphone4s.

I may regret it, cause I love the Android, but im going the way of the biitch made sheeple. Maybe there is a part of me that wants to be like everyone else. Its a sad existance Im harboring over here.

Good thread. Im getting a new phone today. My dilemma is a new Android (I already have the HTC EVO) vs. the iphone4s.

I may regret it, cause I love the Android, but im going the way of the biitch made sheeple. Maybe there is a part of me that wants to be like everyone else. Its a sad existance Im harboring over here.

Don't doooooo eeeeettttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I'm setting up a bunch of widgets (news feeds, calendar, bookmarks to FFT) and currently using Motocast to sync all of my media. It's beautiful man. :thumbsup: