Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

I missed the playoff hole. The putt on 17 was great!

Wasn't much of a hole.

The Putt on 17 was Tigeresque.

If he missed, he's likely done.

Tiger had so many YOOGE puts during his dominance of the US Junior Am.and the US Am.

Not a lot of video out there on those events. sadly

Anyone watch the US Amateur Championship yesterday? @ Riviera

Doug Ghim vs Doc Redman?

Watched it last night.

There is nothing more ball'busting/defeating than watching your opponent make everything he looks at. Redman was putting into a bucket, unfreaking believable the putts that kid was holding. And these weren't 6 and 7 footers - these were 20+ foot bombs. Ghim should have trounced this kid - he prolly still can't believe it... But as they say, that's golf - it happens... We will see at least Ghim on tour one day, maybe Redman too - damn good stuff. :thumbsup:

Watched it last night.

There is nothing more ball'busting/defeating than watching your opponent make everything he looks at. Redman was putting into a bucket, unfreaking believable the putts that kid was holding. And these weren't 6 and 7 footers - these were 20+ foot bombs. Ghim should have trounced this kid - he prolly still can't believe it... But as they say, that's golf - it happens... We will see at least Ghim on tour one day, maybe Redman too - damn good stuff. :thumbsup:

Redman doesn't have a swing that will get him on the tour.

Ghim does and he's asian

:doublethumbsup:

Golf outing today. local PBA. not as big a turnout as usual but the booze was flowing, top shelf stuff. Beer carts of course but one of the few if not only outings I play where there is a hard alcohol cart and table of top shelf whiskeys etc... Given about 8 arturo fuente cigars. Foot Joy golf shoes, current models, they were allowing you to place an order if they didn't have your size. I've been to outings that had shoes before but it was old models and take what you can get if they have your size. Not that I need more golf shoes anyway but its a nice gesture.

played with my cousin and got paired with 2 70+ guys. Realy funny guys though. Scramble, used all our drives but used a hell of a lot of their wedge shots. Those old guys man. They were members at a club a few towns over and its just so obvious that the older you get, the better your short game needs to be and the more time you have to play, obviously the better your short game will be. Mine was ATROCIOUS. I think I chipped us close for a par and hit 1 iron shot that we used. I was piping my driver and hybrid though and we used about 12 of my tee shots. Shot 62 (par 71). Winning score was 59. With the PBA outings, it's really tough to tell if scores are legit. So many groups of guys that are just hammered and im sure theres a lot of "thats good" on 10 footers. At least we played it straight up.

Ive been crushing the ball lately. Really working on my patience in transition and making sure Im swinging from a solid lower body and really making sure I stay wide on the downswing.

Made a nice eagle today. Hit a 3H to 4ft from 227. Carried about 220. Also 2 birdies that were kick ins. A 4H from 210 an 8i from 165. Lucky they were kick ins cuz I cant putt for sh!t right now. I kinda got it figured out near the end of the round. I moved the ball up slightly and had the feel of hitting up more with putter. Pretty sad I shot 78 with 2 birds and eagle.

Does it get any more boring than Justin Thomas?

holy sh1t, another robot.

PGA badly needs some golfers with personalities to step up.

Jon Rahm I am looking at you

If I had to hear one more time yesterday what good buddies Spieth and Thomas are, I was going to puke..

Jesus focking christ,. NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR THAT SH!T! I want to see them swinging clubs at each other@! Rolling their eyes. Not sucking each other off after a victory

Not only are we getting inundated with Wet Mop personalities, but the game itself is becoming lifeless - least on the tour level.

The golf ball and technology have taken all the creativity, skill and imagination out of the game. The game now is a real time version of Golden Tee - bomb, pitch and putt.. The golf ball and technology are eroding the very fabric of golf course architecture, beautifully crafted holes are not longer played as they were designed to be played.... 500 yard, dogleg par 4's - these guys are bombing it over the corners, then flipping in 9 irons and wedges. :rolleyes:

Shot a par 36 back nine last week. First time ever.

:banana:

How many tries to get it into Goodell's mouth on the last?

Not only are we getting inundated with Wet Mop personalities, but the game itself is becoming lifeless - least on the tour level.

The golf ball and technology have taken all the creativity, skill and imagination out of the game. The game now is a real time version of Golden Tee - bomb, pitch and putt.. The golf ball and technology are eroding the very fabric of golf course architecture, beautifully crafted holes are not longer played as they were designed to be played.... 500 yard, dogleg par 4's - these guys are bombing it over the corners, then flipping in 9 irons and wedges. :rolleyes:

Glad to see you agree.

Then what happens when a course DARE to make a hole (12) tougher? They all cry like babies and hit it into the wrong fairway. You think anyone on the telecast has a bad word to say? Thomas should have been chastised for hitting it into the wrong fairway. Nope, he was given credit.

The telecast is disgusting as well.

I'd much rather listen to the birds and people yell mashed potatoes.

How many tries to get it into Goodell's mouth on the last?

d-

Laughed so hard i fell off my pet dinosaur last time I heard that one.

d-

Laughed so hard i fell off my pet dinosaur last time I heard that one.

it was between goodell and sho

Jon Rahm I am looking at you

If I had to hear one more time yesterday what good buddies Spieth and Thomas are, I was going to puke..

Jesus focking christ,. NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR THAT SH!T! I want to see them swinging clubs at each other@! Rolling their eyes. Not sucking each other off after a victory

I hate people that are class acts.

I hate people that are class acts.

Wooosh!

After testing several drivers, bought a new stick: Ping G, LS Tech, 9* (I cut down to 44.5")

After a few weeks - I'm finally dialed in and loving my new Ping.. I'm also back to drawing it, so that's a relief.

And along the way, I've sold 2 more of these to my buddies... Not me directly - but you know what I mean. One of them ditched his new TM M1 for a new Ping - just way more forgiving and long.

Not a fan of Thomas, not a fan of Spieth. Don't get me wrong, love their games, just like I loved Tiger's game.... at least Tiger had a damn personality. Didn't like him and was not entirely entertained when he was lapping fields as some people were but he provided some great dramatic moments.

Need guys like Fatty Reed to make that next step. Need some of the old guard to hand on as well (Henrik, Phil, Sergio, Rosey) nor sure about Rahm but spieth thomas and Matsuyama are robotic.

Fowler has the personality.... DJ does a little bit. Rory does but man has he fallen off the map. Needs to stop bulking up or he's going to be the next tiger, injury wise.

Possibly the best thing golf can hope for is Rory getting back to Rory and taking on the American robots head on. I would say Rahm also but he seems too americanized.

Not a fan of Thomas, not a fan of Spieth. Don't get me wrong, love their games, just like I loved Tiger's game.... at least Tiger had a damn personality. Didn't like him and was not entirely entertained when he was lapping fields as some people were but he provided some great dramatic moments.

Need guys like Fatty Reed to make that next step. Need some of the old guard to hand on as well (Henrik, Phil, Sergio, Rosey) nor sure about Rahm but spieth thomas and Matsuyama are robotic.

Fowler has the personality.... DJ does a little bit. Rory does but man has he fallen off the map. Needs to stop bulking up or he's going to be the next tiger, injury wise.

Possibly the best thing golf can hope for is Rory getting back to Rory and taking on the American robots head on. I would say Rahm also but he seems too americanized.

Well said.

When Fatty Reed said he was a top 5 player, I had much hope for him.

Reed vs McIroy at the Ryder Cup was the best thing we have had in golf for a LONG time.

I think I'm at the end of my worst stretch in several years. Something like 6 of my past 7 rounds in the 90s. Long story short, I've been early extending most of my golf life. I've known it, and read/watched about 30 lessons on it, but couldn't find a feel that clicked with my brain. Well I finally found a post on a message board that clicked. My irons and hybrids have been getting better and better, but I've been popping up my drives badly.

I wasted the past 3 rounds thinking my driver angle of attack was too steep, so I was teeing the ball up higher and higher in an effort to create room for a shallower angle of attack......But it didn't work at all, and the more I tried, the worse it got.......But on the 14th hole this Sunday, my dad finally paid attention and he told me I swung right under the ball for my popup. Teed it up lower the rest of the way and my next 3 drives were solid.

It's a relief. I was lost. Need to go to the range this week to clear some of the bad thoughts out of my head, but now I'm excited to get back out there.

I've become a big fan of Reed. Back when he made the top 5 comment o wasn't so much but he seems like an all aron good guy and his enthusiasm is electric.

Ryder cup as you mentioned was some incredible stuff. Imagine Reed v. Poulter in his prime?

I've become a big fan of Reed. Back when he made the top 5 comment o wasn't so much but he seems like an all aron good guy and his enthusiasm is electric.

Ryder cup as you mentioned was some incredible stuff. Imagine Reed v. Poulter in his prime?

Top 20 for 2018 Ryder Cup as of today,

1 1 BROOKS KOEPKA 3064.825
2 10 JUSTIN THOMAS 2509.723
3 2 JORDAN SPIETH 2365.412
4 3 MATT KUCHAR 2097.466
5 4 DUSTIN JOHNSON 1999.906
6 6 RICKIE FOWLER 1286.937
7 5 BRIAN HARMAN 1247.852
8 20 PATRICK REED 1118.286
9 7 Bill HAAS 904.397
10 8 Charley HOFFMAN 890.709
11 9 Zach JOHNSON 877.254
12 11 Kevin CHAPPELL 651.087
13 15 Ryan MOORE 591.809
14 12 Xander SCHAUFFELE 586.584
15 27 Kevin KISNER 581.316
16 13 Brendan STEELE 557.376
17 14 Brandt SNEDEKER 510.111
18 16 J.B. HOLMES 490.726
19 18 Russell HENLEY 429.473
20 19 Steve STRICKER 424.845

Wooosh!

x2

Top 20 for 2018 Ryder Cup as of today,

Phil's RC days might be over. Will have to start looking forward to the captaincy

After a few weeks - I'm finally dialed in and loving my new Ping.. I'm also back to drawing it, so that's a relief.

And along the way, I've sold 2 more of these to my buddies... Not me directly - but you know what I mean. One of them ditched his new TM M1 for a new Ping - just way more forgiving and long.

I love my G Series Ping (driver, 3 & 5 wood) Stock shafts got me hitting it out where I was hitting it in my 20s.

I love my G Series Ping (driver, 3 & 5 wood) Stock shafts got me hitting it out where I was hitting it in my 20s.

I've been testing shafts, all kinds, all price ranges... I ended up spending about $150 on Matrix Ozik, White Tie.

It's okay, but in the end - I found I was actually hitting my Ping stock (Alta 55, stiff) better than all of them. The torque ratings are a bit higher, but that's what my swing calls for... It's still at 44.5" length, and still in my bag... Crazy game.

I can confirm I'm out of the woods (for now). Played Apache Links in Glen Rose on Saturday. I love their whole complex. Went 41-41, after shooting 6 of my past 7 rounds in the 90s.

Unlike most golfers that have stances that are too wide, mine has always been much too narrow. With the normal stance width, I never felt like I could properly get to my left side.....But now I'm wondering if I was too focused on it in that I was trying to get 90% of my weight to the left when a more stable stance and 65-70% is more ideal overall. With that and teeing the ball lower, I had my best day off the tee in awhile. I'm still working on eliminating early extension. I'm not horrible at it, as in you wouldn't notice unless you watched me on a down the line video and marked a spot. But still trying to find the right feel to get all the way there.

I can confirm I'm out of the woods (for now). Played Apache Links in Glen Rose on Saturday. I love their whole complex.

I've not played those courses in years - how was it, great shape? Ever play Harbor Lakes in Granbury? Really good course, I like it too.

I've not played those courses in years - how was it, great shape? Ever play Harbor Lakes in Granbury? Really good course, I like it too.

Amazing shape. The fairways were like carpet, and the greens were smooth and fast as hell.

Never played Harbor Lakes, but I'll keep an eye out for it in the coupon game.

Who else is playing 2morow? Going to be sunny and 95* here - looking like a 36 hole day. :music_guitarred:

I've been testing shafts, all kinds

I bet

Anyone play the Cleveland RTX 3 wedges?

Need a new wedge. Have a gift card to dicks. I've got plenty of dicks already so figured why not a new 56*

My 60 and 56 are cleveland.

prob a good 4 years old

:thumbsup:

I use a Ping G30 driver with the stock stiff shaft (9.5). I'll have a hard time letting this one go, I liked testing the M2 but, I've never been this consistently straight and long in my life as I have been with the G30. Impressive piece of equipment. I know when I make a bad swing, that thing doesn't seem to care.

Will someone step up and and start a geek golf outing?

it would be focking PHA-NOMANAL as Jim Rome says it.

Or someone get it going. I'll be involved, as I think most people trust me.