Sign in to follow this  
penultimatestraw

What do you think of this?

It's supposed to prevent reclining on airplanes. Personally, I think it is super obnoxious: http://www.kneedefender.com/goods/kneedefender.html

Knee Defender™ helps you stop reclining airplane seatbacks so your knees won't have to. Unique, patented Knee Defender™ is a truly practical travel accessory. And with its new design, this clever product looks cool, too.

It helps you defend the space you need when confronted by a faceless, determined seat recliner who doesn't care how long your legs are or about anything else that might be "back there."

For those of us who have to squeeze ourselves into the limited airplane legroom space of a coach seat offered by many airlines, a seat in front of us that is poised to recline is a collision waiting to happen – with our knees serving as bumpers.

Knee Defender™ to the rescue.

With Knee Defender™, the "Tall Guy" – tall men and tall women, both – can now use a simple, convenient, pocket-sized device to help defend against most flying seatbacks. And because Knee Defenders™ are adjustable, you can generally set them to provide only as much protection as you need.

DVT is also a concern when you fly, and Knee Defender™ can help you keep the airplane legroom space you need to do in-seat exercises while flying. Foot lifts and knee lifts are recommended to promote healthy blood flow to help protect against deep vein thrombosis. Sometimes called "economy class syndrome", DVT involves a potentially dangerous blood clot that can develop in the leg.

I read about it Wired magazine a few months back. Pretty obnoxious tool and it was unfortunately borne out of pretty obnoxious people on planes.

The common courtesy of checking behind you before you recline those 3-4 inches is not really that hard. There are also quite a few d-bags who think that they should be able to treat the plane ride as their personal office.

Dumb. If I'm flying, and my seat is supposed to recline, guess what? I'm reclining. I paid for my seat, I'm going to utilize it's function. If people who fly don't like others to recline, then they should drive instead of flying. Focking crybabies.

ETA: should not recline during food service, but I don't care if the person in front of me reclines the whole focking flight. They're a paying customer also.

Dumb. If I'm flying, and my seat is supposed to recline, guess what? I'm reclining. I paid for my seat, I'm going to utilize it's function. If people who fly don't like others to recline, then they should drive instead of flying. Focking crybabies.

ETA: should not recline during food service, but I don't care if the person in front of me reclines the whole focking flight. They're a paying customer also.

Completely agree. But I'm guessing you value legroom about half as much as the next guy.

Completely agree. But I'm guessing you value legroom about half as much as the next guy.

Ha!! Good point. Haven't flown since the accident, but I bet I still wouldn't care. Plus the prosthesis isn't as moveable as a real leg....obviously. I might actually need more leg room now :dunno:

As a frequent flyer the seats should not recline unless it is a redeye flight.

Airlines should fix it then. My question to people who don't like it is why? You know people recline? You know when you purchase a ticket that this could happen. Bunch of whining bittches who can't handle a seat reclined in front of them for a few hours. I swear we're a nation of whining crybabies.

Airlines should fix it then. My question to people who don't like it is why? You know people recline? You know when you purchase a ticket that this could happen. Bunch of whining bittches who can't handle a seat reclined in front of them for a few hours. I swear we're a nation of whining crybabies.

Spirit Airlines and Allegiant Air are the only airlines that have removed the reclining feature...

I don't fly, but this would be a good idea for all flights IMO... Either that or don't make it so crowded and make the coach seats like first-class seats... I would think any airline that changed their coach seats to that, would see people flock to them...

As a frequent flyer the seats should not recline unless it is a redeye flight.

As a frequent flyer and night shift worker, the timing of the flight should not influence the propriety of reclining.

Agreed. If you can't handle it, buy a seat with more legroom or don't fly.

Ha!! Good point. Haven't flown since the accident, but I bet I still wouldn't care. Plus the prosthesis isn't as moveable as a real leg....obviously. I might actually need more leg room now :dunno:

You should store it in the overhead bin, along with two carry ons.

United just banned these and I think they are banned on other airlines as well. If the airline cant make money off of it, they aren't gonna allow it....

You should store it in the overhead bin, along with two carry ons.

That would really piss people off. If they couldn't handle a seat reclined, they'd be really angry if I took up the entire overhead space.

I'm on record as generally detesting seatback recliners. It is an invasion of my (very limited) personal space :thumbsdown:

That said this product is obviously pretty dumb. Better to stick to the time honored method of violently bumping the person's seat as you stand up to use the restroom, etc.

I'm on record as generally detesting seatback recliners. It is an invasion of my (very limited) personal space

That said this product is obviously pretty dumb. Better to stick to the time honored method of violently bumping the person's seat as you stand up to use the restroom, etc.

Except it's not your personal space. Again. If seats recline, and customer paid for it, then it's their space. You should recline yours if person in front of you does....gives you more space. Sweet jebus it's like 4 focking inches you guys are bittching about.

Except it's not your personal space. Again. If seats recline, and customer paid for it, then it's their space. You should recline yours if person in front of you does....gives you more space. Sweet jebus it's like 4 focking inches you guys are bittching about.

No, absolutely not. Seatback recliners made sense back in the day when you actually had a little room in your row. But they've been scaling it back inch by inch for years, to the point where anyone over even average height has very little room to work with.

Reclining my seat doesn't give me back the legroom you stole, and it starts a chain reaction where everybody has to recline their seat because the ahole in front of him did so

And yeah, it's definitely a "first world problem." I don't lose sleep over it but I do think it's a d1ck move

No, absolutely not. Seatback recliners made sense back in the day when you actually had a little room in your row. But they've been scaling it back inch by inch for years, to the point where anyone over even average height has very little room to work with.

Reclining my seat doesn't give me back the legroom you stole, and it starts a chain reaction where everybody has to recline their seat because the ahole in front of him did so

Stole lol?? So if I paid a few houndred bucks for a seat I shouldn't be able to get full use of it? Fock that, and fock the crybabies behind me. Tell the airlines to fix the problem then. Again. Maybe people who can't handle a few hours of "cramped" situation shouldn't fly.

I'm on record as generally detesting seatback recliners. It is an invasion of my (very limited) personal space :thumbsdown:

I'm more inclined to agree with this. If Airlines are going to continue to squeeze in seats then they need to make the seats not recline at all, therefore rendering this stupid product useless.

And yeah, it's definitely a "first world problem." I don't lose sleep over it but I do think it's a d1ck move

Agree with first part. I've never been bothered by it since they bought the right to use the chair anyway they want to.

You would know. And OMG you are such a freaking whiner. Wow.

Stole lol?? So if I paid a few houndred bucks for a seat I shouldn't be able to get full use of it? Fock that, and fock the crybabies behind me. Tell the airlines to fix the problem then. Again. Maybe people who can't handle a few hours of "cramped" situation shouldn't fly.

That's a pretty silly way of looking at it IMO. You pay for your seat at a sporting event, does that mean you're free to do whatever the fock you want even if it obstructs the view of the folks behind you? I could go on and all with examples.

The fact that you paid to be there (along with everyone else on the plane) is meaningless

That's a pretty silly way of looking at it IMO. You pay for your seat at a sporting event, does that mean you're free to do whatever the fock you want even if it obstructs the view of the folks behind you? I could go on and all with examples.

The fact that you paid to be there (along with everyone else on the plane) is meaningless

No. I paid to use the seat and it's function. If it reclines, then I'm using that function. I wouldn't do things it's not intended for, but since it was made to recline, then I'm reclining. I wouldn't use it for anything it wasn't meant to do.

No. I paid to use the seat and it's function. If it reclines, then I'm using that function. I wouldn't do things it's not intended for, but since it was made to recline, then I'm reclining. I wouldn't use it for anything it wasn't meant to do.

Makes perfect sense but then again I am not as smart as a fake lawyer. :dunno:

Kinda what I thought also. People know seats recline, so don't bitchh when it happens. Amazing that people think I shouldn't be able to use a function I paid for. Or that it's a "" move to use what I bought????

Easy buddy, save your ire for the stewardess who cuts you off before you're even seated :lol:

What about the person in the back row? Does their chair recline just as much as the others?

What about the person in the back row? Does their chair recline just as much as the others?

Don't know. I've never been in the back row. Nor do I care. You get what you pay for.

Easy buddy, save your ire for the stewardess who cuts you off before you're even seated :lol:

You know they sell these little bottles that fit into your carry on bag.

Cut me off :lol:

This

or

Don't fly economy.

When the person in front of me reclines and I am flying economy then I am unable to use my laptop, and I fly many 5-10 hour flights. I have an 8 and a half hour flight tomorrow. Using a laptop makes the time go by much faster.

Although in most cases I fly economy plus. Then this is not an issue for me.

When the person in front of me reclines and I am flying economy then I am unable to use my laptop, and I fly many 5-10 hour flights. I have an 8 and a half hour flight tomorrow. Using a laptop makes the time go by much faster.

Although in most cases I fly economy plus. Then this is not an issue for me.

You're not paying to use your laptop tho. Your laptop use is a luxury not a airplane right. The customer has a right to recline his seat he paid for if it reclines. To me this is a airplane company issue. Take out reclining seats if they don't want customers to use them. I'm not going to be uncomfortable so you can use your laptop. I'm sorry, but I have a right to recline.

You're not paying to use your laptop tho. Your laptop use is a luxury not a airplane right. The customer has a right to recline his seat he paid for if it reclines. To me this is a airplane company issue. Take out reclining seats if they don't want customers to use them. I'm not going to be uncomfortable so you can use your laptop. I'm sorry, but I have a right to recline.

We are both paying to get from point a to point b.

We both want the experience to be as painless as possible.

Me using my laptop does not infringe on anyone else's personal space. You reclining does.

The best solution is for airlines to get rid of the reclining seats.

We are both paying to get from point a to point b.

We both want the experience to be as painless as possible.

Me using my laptop does not infringe on anyone else's personal space. You reclining does.

How is it someone else's space. I paid for the seat which means I paid for the area the seat covers. If it reclines then that's the space I paid for. I understand the make it as comfortable as possible, but does that mean for just the person behind me? So I can't recline and be comfortable for the service I paid for so they can use a laptop?

Eta: you want the person in front of you to sit straight up and down for a 8 hour flight so u can use a laptop? To me that's not very respectful of the person in front of you. Like I said earlier, I don't care if someone wants to recline the whole flight. Not that big of a deal to me.

How is it someone else's space. I paid for the seat which means I paid for the area the seat covers. If it reclines then that's the space I paid for. I understand the make it as comfortable as possible, but does that mean for just the person behind me? So I can't recline and be comfortable for the service I paid for so they can use a laptop?

Even when I do not use my laptop I do not recline. I do not feel it is right for me to increase my comfort by reducing the comfort of another person.

Even when I do not use my laptop I do not recline. I do not feel it is right for me to increase my comfort by reducing the comfort of another person.

So everybody is uncomfortable. I guess that makes since. I could live with that. Just make the seats so they dont recline.

Since the tray table is connected to my seat, I'll just bungee cord the whole thing. Worms'll back me up.