Sign in to follow this  
titans&bucs&bearsohmy!

Spermoff: most overrated player in NFL history

And I'm not trying to say Emmitt sucked or is big time overrated. I think enough people sour on him that he is not overrated. Of course his career accomplishments and wins are better than anyones.

But Barry is the Randy Moss of the RB position. I'm not sure if Emmitt is the Jerry Rice however.

I can think of many RB's that, their prime vs Barry Sanders' prime I would take over him.

Ladanian

Terrell Davis

Tony Dorsett

Eric Dickerson

Earl Campbell

Emmitt

Thurman Thomas

Adrian Peterson

Walter Payton

That's off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more

I can think of many RB's that, their prime vs Barry Sanders' prime I would take over him.

Ladanian

Terrell Davis

Tony Dorsett

Eric Dickerson

Earl Campbell

Emmitt

Thurman Thomas

Adrian Peterson

Walter Payton

okay

Namath and Bo are pretty good choices, but I also think Moss and TO deserve consideration.

They were undoubtedly gifted athletes and good football players, but they were both under the impression that you could build a winning team around a primadonna WR.

• Like 1

Ladanian

Terrell Davis

Tony Dorsett

Eric Dickerson

Earl Campbell

Emmitt

Thurman Thomas

Adrian Peterson

Walter Payton

all excellent running backs, with different skill sets. barry may have been the best pure runner that i have seen. definitely most exciting.

he could catch, just wasn't used much in the passing game (averaged about 35 rec/yr- fewest rec were 24 in his rookie season) or gl much mostly due to coaching decisions.

led the league in rushing 4 times. high rushing yds/g. only rushed for under 1300 yds once (1100 in 11 games).

imagine what his number might have looked like with the offensive lines of dallas (emmit is a good back, but wasn't getting touched for 5 yards) and denver (gary rushed for 1100 in 12 games, then anderson rushed for 1500)

Bettis - catchy nickname but his playoffs were atrocious especially against New England.

Mike Singletary - best thing about him was his stare. Not all that talented. Surrounded by great players that freed him up to make easy tackles.

Bettis - catchy nickname but his playoffs were atrocious especially against New England.

Mike Singletary - best thing about him was his stare. Not all that talented. Surrounded by great players that freed him up to make easy tackles.

Now singletary? What the fvck?

Harry Carson was just as good. Had to beg to get in the HOF

Maybe not #1 but I'd like to add Jim McMahon and Brian Bosworth to the conversation.

I agree on McMahon.That's who first came to mind. Bosworth fits more in the "bust" category.

barry may have been the best pure runner that i have seen. definitely most exciting.

If Superbowl rings were based on "highlight film", then hey...yeah...Barry earned his SB rings.

But they aren't.

Barry wasn't conducive to winning. -2, -4, BAMM...big run for 80 yds. So what. He set his team up at 2nd and long and 3rd and long. That's a losing formula. The NFL is about winning. Coaches get hired and fired for it. So, Barry? Meh. Couldn't hold Emmitts jock strap other than "Hey...wow...yeah...cool....great highlight".

If Superbowl rings were based on "highlight film", then hey...yeah...Barry earned his SB rings.

But they aren't.

Barry wasn't conducive to winning. -2, -4, BAMM...big run for 80 yds. So what. He set his team up at 2nd and long and 3rd and long. That's a losing formula. The NFL is about winning. Coaches get hired and fired for it. So, Barry? Meh. Couldn't hold Emmitts jock strap other than "Hey...wow...yeah...cool....great highlight".

please give barry emmitt's o line. barry was often forced to improvise. emmitt had the luxury of making his 1st move 5 yards down field

But they aren't.

Seriously? So you're saying if you had an RB that lost 2, then lost 4, then had an 80 yard run this is bad somehow? I don't understand.

Emmitt literally had no talent. Run up to the gigantic hole in the line, gain a few yards. BFD. No talent at all. Any RB could have succeeded with what he had.

OVERRATED. Not saying he isn't good, he was good..But he was definitely overrated.

please give barry emmitt's o line. barry was often forced to improvise. emmitt had the luxury of making his 1st move 5 yards down field

Different style of running (not conducive to winning, see: Lions record during the time he played). Emmitt took what was there. Barry didn't want 3 or 4 yards. Wasn't exciting enough. Barry was always looking to bust the big one in hopes of making SportsCenter. And that, he did. SB Rings....big fat 0.

Seriously? So you're saying if you had an RB that lost 2, then lost 4, then had an 80 yard run this is bad somehow? I don't understand.

Emmitt literally had no talent. Run up to the gigantic hole in the line, gain a few yards. BFD. No talent at all. Any RB could have succeeded with what he had.

OVERRATED. Not saying he isn't good, he was good..But he was definitely overrated.

So the #17 overall pick had no talent. The NFL scouts and Jimmy Johnson knew less than you? Gee. If only you woulda been there to guide them! Why weren't you an NFL coach? LOL. Stick to video games and glow sticks. Football knowledge isn't your forte.

The first 3 people that came to my head were Bradshaw, Stallworth and Swan.

Different style of running (not conducive to winning, see: Lions record during the time he played). Emmitt took what was there. Barry didn't want 3 or 4 yards. Wasn't exciting enough. Barry was always looking to bust the big one in hopes of making SportsCenter. And that, he did. SB Rings....big fat 0.

the lions had some very crappy teams. the cowboys were excellent in every facet of the game and had a supporting cast. shoot the recent cowboys olines almost remind me of the 90's.... producing great rushers, and in turn giving the passing game more opportunity. in the 90's their defense was very good also..... playing with a lead, run the ball, opponents' defense wear down. all very favorable to running backs

So the #17 overall pick had no talent. The NFL scouts and Jimmy Johnson knew less than you? Gee. If only you woulda been there to guide them! Why weren't you an NFL coach? LOL. Stick to video games and glow sticks. Football knowledge isn't your forte.

Ryan Leaf was the #2 pick overall and was a total and utter flop. So yeah it is possible the #17 had no talent. Draft position ain't a guarantee of anything.

Don;t get all defensive cause some people think your golden boy sucked. I do. Many do. You are ripping on Barry, who I thought was far and away a better RB than Emmitt, but I'm not getting all butt hurt over it. Cheer up buttercup. Not everyone thinks Emmitt was all that. It's ok to have a different opinion.

But they aren't.

Yeah with a mean downhill runner instead of Barry those Lions teams would have really made some noise.

:biggesteyerollever:

Namath and Bo are pretty good choices, but I also think Moss and TO deserve consideration.

They were undoubtedly gifted athletes and good football players, but they were both under the impression that you could build a winning team around a primadonna WR.

BO? As in BO Jackson? The best ATHLETE of the last 100 years? That BO? Cause if so you are focking insane.

BO? As in BO Jackson? The best ATHLETE of the last 100 years? That BO? Cause if so you are focking insane.

He was a change of pace back, he was never the feature back. His yard per carry was not even that exceptional for a change of pace back on a great team.

He was a great athlete and a better baseball player than football. He is thought of as a great RB because of his ridiculous stats in a video game

On what planet is moon underrated.

Planets where they don't have moons and don't know what they're missing? :dunno:

How lucky was Emmitt to have the greatest line ever at Escambia HS, to have the greatest line ever at the University of Florida AND to have the greatest line ever in Dallas.....

It's a shame most people never saw him except on ESPN.

How lucky was Emmitt to have the greatest line ever at Escambia HS, to have the greatest line ever at the University of Florida AND to have the greatest line ever in Dallas.....

It's a shame most people never saw him except on ESPN.

he was no errict rhett, but a very good player at florida. i used to love watching matchups between florida, the U, and fsu. high level players and college football at the time.

I hope all watch Emmitt's Football Life - he was the epitome of a "football player". Toughest sob I ever saw who had balance, center of gravity and toughness like I've never seen. An incredible pass catcher and phenomenal blocker too, always on the field when the game mattered.

For those with time, go back and look at what his replacements did while he was out... There's a reason Jerry caved and paid him after they started 0-2 that season. A season they went on to win the SB.

He was a change of pace back, he was never the feature back. His yard per carry was not even that exceptional for a change of pace back on a great team.

He was a great athlete and a better baseball player than football. He is thought of as a great RB because of his ridiculous stats in a video game

A change of pace back is supposed to have a great YPC? Since when? 5.4 YPC isn't exceptional enough? And "great team"? The Raiders had one season with a winning record when Bo played for them - 1990 - his last season, when he had 1.8 ypc more than their "feature" back.

I hope all watch Emmitt's Football Life - he was the epitome of a "football player". Toughest sob I ever saw who had balance, center of gravity and toughness like I've never seen. An incredible pass catcher and phenomenal blocker too, always on the field when the game mattered.

For those with time, go back and look at what his replacements did while he was out... There's a reason Jerry caved and paid him after they started 0-2 that season. A season they went on to win the SB.

did you have an opportunity to watch OSU, wishbone with thomas and sanders? very fun to watch. first 2 years thomas carried the load. while exciting, sanders got much fewer carries (2.5/1). when thomas left the full load went to sanders...... 2600 yds- 37 tds.

side note- i used to like watching nebraska's wishbone also (rozier/craig/rathman- also irving fryar)

Last game of the 1993 season at Giants stadium, for the division title and home field advantage. Broken collarbone at half time. Aikman couldnt throw, Irvin couldn't catch. Cowboys win in OT. Emmit Smiths finest moment and Barry Sanders could never do something like that.

• Like 1

did you have an opportunity to watch OSU, wishbone with thomas and sanders? very fun to watch. first 2 years thomas carried the load. while exciting, sanders got much fewer carries (2.5/1). when thomas left the full load went to sanders...... 2600 yds- 37 tds.

side note- i used to like watching nebraska's wishbone also (rozier/craig/rathman- also irving fryar)

I did, TT was phenomenal.. My favorite wishbone ever to watch though, was Switzer's '84 bunch and Jamelle Holieway - damn that was good football.
  • Like 1

oooo. emmitt had to play a game without aikman.

the lions had 5 winning seasons while sanders played with pete, mitchell, kramer, and ware. he got some other talent from herman moore, but was dealing with this his whole career. he was ripping off 200 yd games in losing efforts. focus was always on barry.