Sign in to follow this  
Chronic Husker

RIP Jose Fernandez

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/203512406/marlins-dee-gordon-honors-fernandez-homers/

Gordon takes first pitch of his first AB from the right side to honor Fernandez. Turns back around to the left side, belts a homer.

A

Second decker bomb no less.

First HR of his shortened season.

Not a dry eye in the house.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/203512406/marlins-dee-gordon-honors-fernandez-homers/

Gordon takes first pitch of his first AB from the right side in Fernandez's batting helmet to honor him. Changes out helmets, turns back around to the left side, belts a homer.

that was so awesome I was almost in tears at work watching it

Jose Fernandez was upset following an argument with his girlfriend and summoned two friends for the late-night boating expedition that ended in the death of the 24-year-old Miami Marlins pitcher and his companions, according to reports that detailed the final evening of his life.

Eddy Rivero and Emilio Macias were killed along with Fernandez when a 32-foot fishing boat – which authorities said Monday was owned by Fernandez – crashed into a jetty sometime before 3 a.m. Sunday morning as it traveled southbound back toward Miami Beach.

Will Bernal, a close friend of Rivero’s, exchanged text messages with Rivero after midnight urging him not to go on the boat and posted the exchange on his Instagram account Monday.

“Yo, please be careful bro,” Bernal told Rivero, 25. “Try to keep him close to shore.”

“Trust me it’s not my time yet,” Rivero responded.

Bernal urged Rivero to keep his iPhone tracker activated and he followed the boat’s movements to its stop at American Social, a dockside restaurant and bar where managers confirmed Fernandez visited. Macias, 27, lived near the restaurant and they picked him up there.

Authorities said signs of drugs or alcohol were not present at the crash site. Toxicology reports are pending.

Bernal and others described Fernandez as under some stress Saturday; the Miami Herald said the impetus was an argument with his girlfriend, who is pregnant with their first child. Yahoo Sports reported that Fernandez asked Marlins teammates to join him on the expedition, but they declined.

Fernandez contacted Rivero sometime after the Marlins’ game against the Atlanta Braves, which ended at 10:30 p.m. ET, and Rivero left a birthday party to join him. They picked up Macias on the boat thereafter.

Kaught Looking – spelled with a backward K, to symbolize a batter striking out without swinging – was a 32-foot SeaVee vessel that can reach top speeds of between 50 and 65 mph, depending on its engine size.

Authorities still have not stipulated which of the three were driving the boat, nor is it clear that they have made that determination. Bernal told Yahoo Sports that Rivero did not have a boating license.

Rivero did have a tattoo that read, “Life is Short. Heaven is Forever.”

His friends and supporters aimed to find solace in that sentiment Monday.

“Eddy was always the type of guy who would put others before him,” Bernal told Yahoo. “He was a genuinely nice, caring person. The type of human you want to meet and have as a friend. It’s so hard to find friends like that.

“He lost his life being a good friend.”

Dumbfucker

Cocaine and alcohol found in system of all 3 boaters

Doesn't make it better or worse. Is what it is and sucks either way, three young people lost their lives that night

Doesn't make it better or worse. Is what it is and sucks either way, three young people lost their lives that night

An innocent accident -vs- killing two people while under the influence of alcohol and coke.

Yeah, it ain't any worse. Double manslaughter means one of them - most likely Hernandez, was a total piece of sh*t.

An innocent accident -vs- killing two people while under the influence of alcohol and coke.

Yeah, it ain't any worse. Double manslaughter means one of them - most likely Hernandez, was a total piece of sh*t.

Like those people didn't know Fernandez was drunk and high? They were all responsible IMO

No, they surrendered their lives. Big difference. They were willing participants in their own death.

I agree with Wiff and Worms. It's just like when someone doesn't listen to a cop when they are up to some dumbass thing. They are willing participants in their own death.

I agree with Wiff and Worms. It's just like when someone doesn't listen to a cop when they are up to some dumbass thing. They are willing participants in their own death.

So I was wrong ?

They weren't innocent if they were doing the same damn thing. Sorry.

my take on this...

well first of all, at the time this all happened i mentioned to some friends in discussion about it that I had a feeling we would find out it was more than just a boating accident and that the circumstances surrounding it pointed to someone being under the influence. I believe all three men were from miami or that area and boating was nothing new to them. of course, its taboo to talk about it possibly being an act of stupidity rather than just a tragic accident.

now we know it most likely was a pure act of stupidity. No different than getting loaded and getting behind the wheel of a car.

as for the driver vs. the passenger debate. I do not believe in passengers being responsible for their own deaths because you can't really prove that they knew the driver was over the legal limit (how could they possibly know) or if the driver even was over the limit if it wasnt Fernandez. Were they also being completely irresponsible? yes, absolutely. but ultimately the person who gets behind the wheel, be it car or boat, saying they are fine to drive is the one responsible for those lives.

Thanks for your input, RP. Invaluable as always

Sad outcome for a kid with so much promise

Sad outcome for a kid with so much promise

I've no sympathy for someone with all this talent, shiiting it away on stupidity... He was about to be making $30m a year too, wow.

I've no sympathy for someone with all this talent, shiiting it away on stupidity... He was about to be making $30m a year too, wow.

Fock that. He killed his friends. It's pretty obvious he was driving (it was his boat, he was the only one drunk - despite earlier reports) , Even if you dispute that, his friends wouldn't have been out there if he wasn't.

Heard he got a boatload of support for that. Good for him. :thumbsup:

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission concluded in its nearly six-month investigation that former Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez was the operator of the speeding boat that crashed and killed Fernandez and two others in the early morning of Sept. 25, 2016.

According to public records obtained by ESPN on Thursday, the FWC's final report confirmed alcohol and drugs were involved. It also concluded that Fernandez violated multiple boating laws, including Boating Under the Influence Manslaughter, Vessel Homicide and Reckless or Careless Operation of a Vessel.

Fernandez's blood alcohol level was .147 and there was "noted presence of cocaine," according to the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner's toxicology report.

The speed of the 32-foot vessel during the impact of the crash on the north side of a jetty was 65.7 miles per hour. Fernandez, Eduardo Rivero and Emilio Macias died at the scene due to blunt force impact and drowning.

The report also included a text message exchange that night between Rivero and Maria Arias, Fernandez's girlfriend. She told Rivero the pair had been arguing and asked him to take care of Fernandez. "He's been drinking and is not in the best state of mind."

The report concluded: "Fernandez operated V-1 with his normal faculties impaired, in a reckless manner, at an extreme high rate of speed, in the darkness of night, in an area with known navigational hazards such as rock jetties and channel markers."

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18921310/investigation-finds-jose-fernandez-was-operating-boat-fatal-crash

Dumb sh1t :thumbsdown:

So, I probably shouldn't have him as my keeper this year? :unsure:

too soon?

It's been 6 months. Get over it :ninja: