Sign in to follow this  
patweisers44

Death Pool Update - Anthony Bourdain

Still weird to know hes actually dead. Me and the wife were big fans. On our 5th wedding anniversary, 6 years ago, we went up to Asheville, NC for a long weekend. Asheville has an eclectic craft beer and food scene.

The morning we are checking out, Wife is preggos with our second, but Im hungover forcing down scrambled eggs and coffee in the hotel cafe. Out of the elevator comes Anthony Bourdain. Its 9:30 am. Dude is pretty tall, walks in front of us. I hit my wife on the knee and said look who that is! He skips the food, walks right outside and smokes a cig with some dude and a chick.

Thats my only Bourdain story.

Anthony Bourdain's girlfriend or lover at the time he committed suicide was Asia Argento

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/unpacking-asia-argento-accusations-abused-becomes-abuser-164712728.html

The New York Times published an explosive story on Sunday, alleging Harvey Weinstein accuser and prominent #MeToo movement figure Asia Argento quietly paid off a young actor who accused her of sexual assault.

Argento paid 22-year-old Jimmy Bennett, who played her son in the 2004 movie The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things, $380,000 after he said she sexually assaulted him in a hotel room in California when he was 17 and she was 37, the New York Timesreports. In California, the age of consent is 18. The payment reportedly happened just a few months after Argento publicly accused Weinstein of forcibly performing oral sex on her.

Bennett’s claim and arrangement for payment were spelled out in documents between lawyers for Argento and Bennett that were sent to the Times by an unidentified party, along with a selfie from May 9, 2013, of the two lying in bed.

The documents allege that Argento was a mentor and motherly figure for Bennett in the years after they worked together and that on the day of the assault, he visited her in a hotel room along with a family member. Argento reportedly asked the family member to leave so she could be alone with Bennett, gave him alcohol, and showed him several notes she had written to him. “Then she kissed him, pushed him back on the bed, removed his pants and performed oral sex. She climbed on top of him and the two had sex,” according to the Times report on the documents.

Later on the day of the alleged incident, Argento posted a photo on Instagram of the two together and referenced Bennett as her “son.”

According to the documents, Bennett made more than $2.7 million in the five years before the alleged assault, but now makes $60,000 a year. He attributes the drop in income to trauma from the sexual assault, his lawyer wrote, per the Times.

Asia Argento poses with Jimmy Bennett in a photo she posted in 2013 on Instagram. (Photo: asiaargento via Instagram)

It seems unfathomable that a victim of abuse would go on to abuse another person but “sadly, this is very common,” licensed clinical psychologist John Mayer, author of Family Fit: Find Your Balance in Life, tells Yahoo Lifestyle. Mayer cites clerical abuse as an example: He has conducted research on the subject and found a “cyclical pattern of abuse.” “So many of the clergy I studied that were abusers had been abused themselves,” he says.

This risk is especially increased if the person was a child or young person when he or she was abused, Gail Saltz, MD, a psychiatrist and the author of The Power of Different, tells Yahoo Lifestyle. However, she adds, “how much exactly is hard to say.”

“The reason is that the brain tries to manage trauma by in some way repeating it, but by repeating it being in the powerful position such that one is not revictimized,” Saltz explains. “These defense mechanisms, called repetition compulsion, and identification with the aggressor may temporarily and even unconsciously seem to reduce the anxiety but obviously they are maladaptive, as they ultimately victimize someone else.”

Of course, this doesn’t mean that all victims of sexual assault will go on to abuse others. But it’s important for victims to “experience and understand the wrongfulness of the act that was committed on them” in order to help break the cycle, often through the help of therapy, Mayer said.

“The aim of therapy is to understand the trauma that did occur, make one’s feelings about it all conscious, and work through a road to recovery, preventing one from acting out on the unconscious defense mechanism of revictimization,” Saltz said.

But if a victim doesn’t acknowledge and work through those feelings, “then victims can begin to believe that such behavior must be condoned by society and therefore permissible,” Mayer said.

Neither Argento nor Bennett has publicly responded to the New York Times story.

I'd let her blow and ride me for free. :)

Seriously? You'd have no reservations about that?

I'd take her to places unknown.

Hopefully the movie focusses on how this weak individual chose to abandon his daughter. 

So many of these weak addicts are real good at preaching to everyone about how stupid we are and they can’t even handle their own sh!t.  Comical.  

Still one of the celebrity deaths that hits the hardest. Loved him and always watched his shows growing up. Never read his books so i need to pick up one to read 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Still one of the celebrity deaths that hits the hardest. Loved him and always watched his shows growing up. Never read his books so i need to pick up one to read 

He peaked when he was addicted to heroin and wrote kitchen confidential.  

4 minutes ago, Bert said:

He peaked when he was addicted to heroin and wrote kitchen confidential.  

Thanks for the suggestion :thumbsup: Will look at Barnes and Noble tomorrow for it. And yea the guy had his problems. But his enthusiasm and knowledge of different cultures and foods was what drew me in. No Reservations and Top Chef were like the only food shows I watched growing up. Have a lot of good memories associated with them 

6 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Thanks for the suggestion :thumbsup: Will look at Barnes and Noble tomorrow for it. And yea the guy had his problems. But his enthusiasm and knowledge of different cultures and foods was what drew me in. No Reservations and Top Chef were like the only food shows I watched growing up. Have a lot of good memories associated with them 

Kitchen Confidential was really a good.  

My issue is when you have as many problems as he had maybe, just maybe his allegedly intelligent ass should have had some self focking awareness to not preach about how stupid and selfish everyone is.

1 hour ago, Bert said:

Hopefully the movie focusses on how this weak individual chose to abandon his daughter. 

Eh.... if it was that easy, we would not have suicide. 

The pain becomes unbearable.

6 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Eh.... if it was that easy, we would not have suicide. 

The pain becomes unbearable.

I normally would agree but if it is as easy for him to judge and tell everyone else what they were doing wrong as it was for him you lose the benefit of the doubt.  If he didn't act like he was so superior to everyone I would have some sympathy for him.

5 minutes ago, Bert said:

I normally would agree but if it is as easy for him to judge and tell everyone else what they were doing wrong as it was for him you lose the benefit of the doubt.  If he didn't act like he was so superior to everyone I would have some sympathy for him.

Don't fock with Hillary.

6 minutes ago, Bert said:

With him Dealing with depression and addiction,  I can’t talk to what his daily life was like (nor the changes he went through over his lifetime).  Logic usually goes out the window when the spirals begin.   From our perspective, he had it all but his reality did not match the facade 

3 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

With him Dealing with depression and addiction,  I can’t talk to what his daily life was like (nor the changes he went through over his lifetime).  Logic usually goes out the window when the spirals begin.   From our perspective, he had it all but his reality did not match the facade 

His shows were awesome to watch. He seemed pretty open about his past when the topic came up, but who knew about his present? Sucks if it was suicide or some hillary out there took him out. Either way.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Very true.  People I am close to have dealt with depression and their mom dealt with depression, addiction and suicide attempts so I get it.  His arrogance and belief that he was superior to almost everyone on the planet was that also part of his mental illness? 

33 minutes ago, Bert said:

Very true.  People I am close to have dealt with depression and their mom dealt with depression, addiction and suicide attempts so I get it.  His arrogance and belief that he was superior to almost everyone on the planet was that also part of his mental illness? 

We all have strengths and weaknesses.  There were some things he did at a very high level that others can only aspire for.  

was he arrogant and had some narcissistic characteristics, sure. It doesn’t make me feel less sorry that his demons were too strong for him.  I would have been fine with ways other than death to humble him

8 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

We all have strengths and weaknesses.  There were some things he did at a very high level that others can only aspire for.  

was he arrogant and had some narcissistic characteristics, sure. It doesn’t make me feel less sorry that his demons were too strong for him.  I would have been fine with ways other than death to humble him

I mean who would’ve expected Robin Williams to commit suicide. That’s the thing with mental health. Very hard to deal with, understand, and treat 

18 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

That is true and fair.  You are a better person than me brother.  I don't have a lot of patience for people with major problems preaching to me about how I am wrong for what I think and believe.  He was the poster child for that behavior.  You compare him to someone like Robin Williams, who was much more talented in his craft than Anthony could hope to be, and Anthony looks even more petty.  

18 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

I mean who would’ve expected Robin Williams to commit suicide. That’s the thing with mental health. Very hard to deal with, understand, and treat 

It is different for everyone. It is not black and white.

3 minutes ago, Bert said:

That is true and fair.  You are a better person than me brother.  I don't have a lot of patience for people with major problems preaching to me about how I am wrong for what I think and believe.  He was the poster child for that behavior.  You compare him to someone like Robin Williams, who was much more talented in his craft than Anthony could hope to be, and Anthony looks even more petty.  

Bordain was well educated, intelligent, and articulate yet found himself as part of a counterculture which was antiestablishment.  I didn’t happen to find him preachy.  I thought he mostly spoke for the little guy. 

where did you find him preaching to you? I have read several of his books multiple times but did not interpret them that way.

6 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Robin had serious healthy issues that lead to his.

Yea. It’s called depression :doh: 

7 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

It is different for everyone. It is not black and white.

Bordain was well educated, intelligent, and articulate yet found himself as part of a counterculture which was antiestablishment.  I didn’t happen to find him preachy.  I thought he mostly spoke for the little guy. 

where did you find him preaching to you? I have read several of his books multiple times but did not interpret them that way.

It was mostly quips during his show and interviews when he started to talk about politics and this country.  Particularly when he went to poorer countries.

I agree he was educated and articulate there is no doubt about that.  He was not a bad guy but I don't see him as the hero some want him to be. He said Lagasse wasn't a chef?  For all his education and articulate ability that was Trump level stupid, especially for someone who claims to know the industry.  

I guess Anthony for me is like Trump for Wiffleball.  :lol:

Just now, Djgb13 said:

Yea. It’s called depression :doh: 

No there is a few documentaries on him about him having more then a few serious medical issues. Can't remember what the one was but messed with his mind.

5 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

No there is a few documentaries on him about him having more then a few serious medical issues. Can't remember what the one was but messed with his mind.

It was mainly depression. It affects everyone differently. Those might’ve had a hand in it but overall his depression is what led him to suicide 

2 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

It was mainly depression. It affects everyone differently. Those might’ve had a hand in it but overall his depression is what led him to suicide 

Please watch the video I posted.

2 minutes ago, BeenHereBefore said:

Please watch the video I posted.

Man honestly I don’t want to. It’s over 12 minutes long. Ain’t nobody got time for that. But my point still stands. Depression can come from things like health issues as well as others. It has no specific trigger cause it’s different for everyone and affects them differently. His led to his suicide 

5 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Man honestly I don’t want to. It’s over 12 minutes long. Ain’t nobody got time for that. But my point still stands. Depression can come from things like health issues as well as others. It has no specific trigger cause it’s different for everyone and affects them differently. His led to his suicide 

Well if you aren't going to watch it then this ends our conversation. Yes I agree depression is a serious issue and Illness. Video says what he had about 4 minutes in.

14 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

He had Parkinson’s... which enhanced his depression/bipolar. He loved his drugs too.

9 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

He had Parkinson’s... which enhanced his depression/bipolar. He loved his drugs too.

Didn't he get misdiagnosed?  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Video says he had something rare but similar to it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bert said:

Didn't he get misdiagnosed?  

Possibly 

9 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Yea I remember something about him having Parkinson’s. Definitely didn’t help his depression. When he died it felt like a punch to the gut cause it was so unexpected but with depression that can happy. People will make others laugh to help mask their own pain and sadness