Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Things you want to like... but don't.

No one is naturally good at golf. I just don't enjoy it. I don't like the culture associated with it either.

Fair enough. But what culture are you referring to? The elitist country club culture that is also prevelant in both tennis and skiing?

It doesnt have to be that way.

Fair enough. But what culture are you referring to? The elitist country club culture that is also prevelant in both tennis and skiing?

It doesnt have to be that way.

Yep. Also drinking during play and doing business on the course.

I play tennis at public courts, and ain't rubbing elbows with anyone when I ski.

Yep. Also drinking during play and doing business on the course.

I play tennis at public courts, and ain't rubbing elbows with anyone when I ski.

You may not be rubbing elbows but skiing is, by nature of its expense, a rich guys sport.

I dont belong to a private golf club, but one of my friends works at a very exclusive one so we get on there any time we want.

You may not be rubbing elbows but skiing is, by nature of its expense, a rich guys sport.

I dont belong to a private golf club either.

True. I guess I prefer active rich dooshes to drunk lazy ones. :dunno:

Whatever your attraction is dude. But keep it clean here please.

Were not all that way. I prefer to walk vs driving the cart and I dont drink while playing. It makes me too tired.

Also, my wife is trying to get me to sign the family up for a ski club this winter.

Were not all that way. I prefer to walk vs driving the cart and I dont drink while playing. It makes me too tired.

Also, my wife is trying to get me to sign the family up for a ski club this winter.

Listen to your wife. Get the kids lessons and enjoy the mountains!

• Like 1

Listen to your wife. Get the kids lessons and enjoy the mountains!

We probably will. But Im 54 and I have been skiing exactly once. Last year. Well see if I can hang.

We probably will. But Im 54 and I have been skiing exactly once. Last year. Well see if I can hang.

Don't go crazy and just have fun

• Like 1

Oh, you'll need lessons too. Unlike golf, skiing isn't easy to pick up in middle age, but I've seen 80+ year olds who do it. I recommend working on your leg strength and flexibility before you go.
  • Like 1

Your average skier is way more dooshy than your average golfer. I have worked at both in my youth. It isnt even a comparison.

Your average golfer is nothing like what people make it out to be. Both sports at private clubs will obviously be more snobby than those at a public or semi private course. But pound for pound at public establishments skiers are much more nose up, whiney, complainers. Oh and their kids are usually brats.

Golf at its core teaches you etiquette. Among many other things if you keep playing. You can see it in the kids. Kids golf league, reapectful most all of them. Youth skiing? Hardly.

I'll admit, I don't like them as much as some of you guys apparently do. Most of them end up just being glorified handjobs anyway.

I know, heresy, I'm gay, Etc.

But part of getting off is knowing the other ones getting off too. And if she's just sitting there looking obliGated, or bored or worse, it kind of takes away from it.

Plus I had an incredibly traumatic buck tooth experience when I was young. God that was awful. Imagine taking a rasp or wood plane to the top of your Johnson.

Disquss.

True. But when you find one that likes it, that is sucking it like she's been bit by a snake and the antidote is in there, that's as good as it gets.

Kinda like it's only fun eating poosay if it's driving her wild.

Your average skier is way more dooshy than your average golfer. I have worked at both in my youth. It isnt even a comparison.

Your average golfer is nothing like what people make it out to be. Both sports at private clubs will obviously be more snobby than those at a public or semi private course. But pound for pound at public establishments skiers are much more nose up, whiney, complainers. Oh and their kids are usually brats.

Golf at its core teaches you etiquette. Among many other things if you keep playing. You can see it in the kids. Kids golf league, reapectful most all of them. Youth skiing? Hardly.

There are dooshes in both, no doubt. The bigger problem with golf is boredom IMO.

Where did you work with skiers?

Talk to anybody who's worked ski patrol. Especially as a paramedic.

Jeesus, 5 min with them and you'll never ski again.

Talk to anybody who's worked ski patrol. Especially as a paramedic.

Jeesus, 5 min with them and you'll never ski again.

Meh, you could say the same thing about driving.

The blisters alone keep me away.

I have had a decent amount of exposure to each culture. pluses and minuses to both....and how we want to describe dooshy. There is etiquette with each activity. Dooshy can take the form of being overly protective of that etiquette, or blatantly defiant of it. plenty of room for forgiveness for those unaware (still learning and want to do the right thing).

both of these can be done in a group or solo. I was the old guy that only got up 50 times a year.... many on my own. I think golf affords more opportunity to break etiquette, but skiing/boarding can cause more bodily harm.....and we do see younger people participating- who often have less awareness of those around them.

Is your dooshiness elitism? if so, I think the nod goes to golf.

I have had a decent amount of exposure to each culture. pluses and minuses to both....and how we want to describe dooshy. There is etiquette with each activity. Dooshy can take the form of being overly protective of that etiquette, or blatantly defiant of it. plenty of room for forgiveness for those unaware (still learning and want to do the right thing).

both of these can be done in a group or solo. I was the old guy that only got up 50 times a year.... many on my own. I think golf affords more opportunity to break etiquette, but skiing/boarding can cause more bodily harm.....and we do see younger people participating- who often have less awareness of those around them.

Is your dooshiness elitism? if so, I think the nod goes to golf.

This guy gets it.

I’ll concede snow boarders do give winter sports a bad name.

• Like 1

Could just be my experience. A lot of snobs from out of town at the public resort. At the public golf course many more "regular" people.

Skiing I believe is actually more expensive on the public level. Golf can be cheap if you want to make it cheap. Many more courses to choose a price where as not a ton of options with skiing.

Could just be my experience. A lot of snobs from out of town at the public resort. At the public golf course many more "regular" people.

Skiing I believe is actually more expensive on the public level. Golf can be cheap if you want to make it cheap. Many more courses to choose a price where as not a ton of options with skiing.

Where do you ski? Michigan, like most of the midwest, has almost nothing to offer. Boyne maybe (my inlaws used to have a cabin there). :dunno:

Where do you ski? Michigan, like most of the midwest, has almost nothing to offer. Boyne maybe (my inlaws used to have a cabin there). :dunno:

I hardly ski. I worked at a public ski resort for 2 winters in my youth. NY.

I hardly ski. I worked at a public ski resort for 2 winters in my youth. NY.

i lived in the mountains of colorado where all ski resorts were public. in-state residents had an excellent season pass option which made it very accessible. it could be much more expensive for tourists. i also know that stores offered very reasonable season rentals which also made it very affordable. a place i used allowed me to demo different skis throughout season to see what I liked...i ended up buying at the end of the year and they deducted the rental price from the skis.

in other words, not everyone on the hill needed to be affluent to ski.