Sign in to follow this  
MDC

Unemployment under 8%?

Well yeah, life for rich people got better when their taxes were cut.

In other news, water = wet. :overhead:

Life for everyone gets better... The logic box you fail at is believing you can help the lower/middle class and not help the rich more...

Ask Newbie if you can gain muscle without gaining fat.... You can't.... You gain both, more muscle then fat.....And when you cut, you cut more fat than muscle, but you still cut muscle... no way around it...

It's a good thing nobody was ever underemployed before Obummer.

If you are going to extrapolate stats into some crazy narrative you best at least interpret the stats correctly

If you are going to extrapolate stats into some crazy narrative you best at least interpret the stats correctly

I've just noticed that GOPers here like to complain about underemployment or "real" employment figures only when things are looking up and a Democrat is in office. I've also noticed that every conservitard here is gainfully employed, making six figures, and complaining constantly about unemployment.

I've just noticed that GOPers here like to complain about underemployment or "real" employment figures only when things are looking up and a Democrat is in office. I've also noticed that every conservitard here is gainfully employed, making six figures, and complaining constantly about unemployment.

They've been pretty terrible throughout his presidency... its just a reminder that 4 years of failure it worth more than a .2% uptick in an unacceptible unemployment figure...

8.1% today.

I think it would make a difference if unemployment dipped below 8%. Psychologically, it would indicate to investors and such that the economy was really rebounding (not this stop and start stuff we've been seeing for the past couple years), which would hopefully lead to more investment and more hiring. :thumbsup:

8.1% today.

I think it would make a difference if unemployment dipped below 8%. Psychologically, it would indicate to investors and such that the economy was really rebounding (not this stop and start stuff we've been seeing for the past couple years), which would hopefully lead to more investment and more hiring. :thumbsup:

Dismal job creation last month, less than "expected" by the "expert economists", and a sh!t-ton fewer than the break even point........yet the unemployment number tics down 1/10th of 1%.

It's almost like magic. :overhead:

Obama bundler Roger Altman said the BLS job report released Friday was “pretty disappointing” and that the health of the labor markets remains “profoundly weak” in a Bloomberg interview. Altman was a deputy Treasury secretary in the Clinton administration and a senior economic adviser to 2004 Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry,

ROGER ALTMAN: Betty, I think it’s a pretty disappointing number. If you widen out the lens, we need 200,000 to 250,000 jobs to really make this, or to really illustrate that this is a healthy and strong recovery. We’re nowhere near that. This number, in contrast, confirms the idea of a bit of a pause in the recovery. It’s consistent with the 2.2 percent—the weak 2.2 percent real GDP we saw for the first quarter. I also don’t think that the unemployment rate is a particularly good measure right now of the health of labor markets. I think you have to look, again, more widely at the labor participation rate, and the unemployment to population ratio. Both of those have recovered far less—almost, very little actually—than the unemployment rate, so of course the unemployment rate is going to fall if the work force shrinks, but that’s not a good measure of the health of labor markets, which remain profoundly weak. We lost 8.8 million jobs since the onset of the recession—we’ve only gained back about 3 million of those. So, this isn’t the number that anyone would want to see. Sure, there are a few bright spots, but they’re few and far between.

http://freebeacon.com/roger-altman-jobs-report-pretty-disappointing/

"Free Beacon", huh? Sounds like a reputable source to me. At least you did provide a link this time. :thumbsup:

With a video of the Obama supporter saying everything in the article.

It's Thursday... Jobless Numbers Revised Up

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2012/05/17/it_s_thursday_jobless_numbers_revised_up

May 17, 2012BEGIN TRANSCRIPTRUSH: You remember last week -- you may not, but I do.  And I'm here to tell you and to remind you.  Last week there were headlines trumpeting that jobless claims were down 1,000 and the unemployment rate fell from 8.2 to 8.1%.  They were honest and said it's not because new jobs are being created; it's because people are leaving the workforce and there's a smaller universe of people working and jobs available against which to compare the unemployed and get your percentage.  Jobless claims down 1,000.  Big news.  The trend continues.  But like always, it turns out to have been untrue.  The fact of the matter is those claims had to be revised upward. "New US claims for unemployment benefits were unchanged last week, according to government data on Thursday that will do little to ease concerns about a recent slowdown in jobs growth. Initial claims for state unemployment benefits held steady at a seasonally adjusted 370,000, the Labor Department said. The prior week's figure was revised up to 370,000 from the previously reported 367,000." So there was not a 1,000 claim decrease.  There was a 3,000 increase in unemployment claims.  Jobless claims did not fall by a thousand last week as originally reported.  They were up.  And today's number next Thursday will be revised up again.  That's how you know it's Thursday.  The jobless claims are always up. Last week's AP headline:  "US applications for unemployment aid dipped to 367,000."  Reuters: "Jobless claims fall, trade gap widens."  So essentially we had a net increase of 2,000 claims for unemployment.  They said we were down a thousand; they had to revise it up three, so we had a net increase of 2,000 new claims for unemployment, new people signing up for unemployment, 2,000 new people.  From one week to the next, a lie, totally exposed.  So there was no good news last week.  And remember how everybody reacted to it last week.  It went both ways.  Those who wanted to be happy that the number went from 8.2 to 8.1 were, but then cold water was thrown on that.  It had to be reported that the number went down because there are fewer people in the labor force, not because any jobs were being created. The AP story today:  "US unemployment aid applications stay at 370,000."  No, no, no.  No, AP is lying.  Last week's AP report had 'em at 367,000.  For AP to be honest with their original reporting, this headline would say:  "US unemployment aid applications increase by 2,000."  "The number of people seeking unemployment benefits unchanged last week, suggesting steady gains in the job market."  It suggests no such thing.  That's an out-and-out lie.  The number of people seeking unemployment benefits was unchanged last week, suggesting steady gains in the job market?  Steady gains?  The applications for unemployment insurance went up last week, not down.  And it wasn't just last week.  The numbers have been revised up 17 weeks in a row.  They had been revised up 62 out of the last 63 weeks.  That's how you know it's Thursday.  Unemployment claims will be revised upwards.

Wooohoooo! And the Republicans are dancing in the streets! :banana: People out of work. Families losing their homes. Just like the Republitards want. Screw the American citizen. Screw those who can'r find a job. It's us against them and high unemployment numbers is a victory for the REpublican PArty. Wooohoooo!!! Good times. :clap:

Cute how they revised the #s 62 out of 63 weeks. :)

You going out celebrating tonight?

You going out celebrating tonight?

whats there to celebrate? This is bad news, I leave the celebrating to you libturds. You guys love celebrating lies and disappearing when the facts present themselves.

In a Small Business Jobs creation thread a week or so back, some people were asking about the types of jobs being created. When these small business jobs being created help drive unemployment down does it still matter what kind of jobs they are?

I presume that they intentionally lie about every single job report as some sort of psychological strategy to make casual observers think they are hearing a mix of good and bad reports, vs. all bad reports? :dunno:

In a Small Business Jobs creation thread a week or so back, some people were asking about the types of jobs being created. When these small business jobs being created help drive unemployment down does it still matter what kind of jobs they are?

Not to the government only to the employee. HTH

I presume that they intentionally lie about every single job report as some sort of psychological strategy to make casual observers think they are hearing a mix of good and bad reports, vs. all bad reports? :dunno:

when they have to quietly revise the numbers up virtually every week, sorta makes ya think the labor dept is sort of a campaign partner of a certian presidential candidate.

It's college graduation time. Imagine all the new job seekers hitting the streets this month.

Regardless of how they massage the numbers, unemployment IS going down. The numbers are getting better.

But let's not sugar coat a turd here either. Real unemployment is almost 15%.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t15.htm

Again, this is GOOD news. I'm happy to hear it. I'm just ready to do any back flips just yet.

And I'll reserve judgement on just how much this is going to mean long term, until after Greece finally collapses and the EU implications seem to take hold.

So ... you're employed, right?

Yes, thank you for asking.

when they have to quietly revise the numbers up virtually every week, sorta makes ya think the labor dept is sort of a campaign partner of a certian presidential candidate.

Its fraud, the metrics themselves are fraudulent as well... They seek to paint a picture that reality doesn't support.