Sign in to follow this  
DrGonzo

How do you guys align your divisions in 12 team leagues?

so 1-4 in 1 div, 5-8 in another and 9-12 in the last. Not sure if this is an advantage or disadvantage or none at all. I kind of want to change it up this year. what do you guys think?

I just have 1 division, top 6 get in, top 2 get a bye. I don't see the need for divisions in fantasy.

so 1-4 in 1 div, 5-8 in another and 9-12 in the last. Not sure if this is an advantage or disadvantage or none at all. I kind of want to change it up this year. what do you guys think?

We do the same thing except the divisions are spread out. Each division has a team that had a top 3 pick, two middle picks, and a last three pick.

Division A: picks 1,4,7,10

Division B: picks 2,5,8,11

Division C: picks 3,6,9,12

3 divisions of 4

play each person in your division 2x - first 3 games then last three games - random in between.

6 make it to the playoffs

each division winner (3)

the final 3 with best records

top 2 division winners get the byes

We do the same thing except the divisions are spread out. Each division has a team that had a top 3 pick, two middle picks, and a last three pick.

Division 1: picks 1,4,7,10

Division 2: picks 2,5,8,11

Division 3: picks 3,6,9,12

this is what we need to do - we just drew divisions - and this blows for me

I'm going against picks number #1, #3, #8, and I'm #9

The number 1 is keeping Jamal Lewis - - - then LT

The number 3 is keeping AD - - then ADDAI

The number 8 is keeping MBIII

I'm keeping ROMO

our keepers were a round 3 and later pick from the previous year. I don't like my division at all :thumbsdown:

We did it randomly in year one and now the divisions are the same forever. Adds to the fun by building rivalries.

Random draw before the draft starts, keep it simple. (That works well for some of the guys in our league!) :thumbsdown:

We aligned our divisions based on geography, ethnicity and relationships. We have the Orientalism division (majority of owners are of Asian descent), the Family Feud division (my brother and I plus two of our best friends), and the Wild Wild West division (comprised of owners from a different town). We have some great rivalries built in every year which I think increases the fun and gives bragging rights throughout the year.

3 divisions of 4

play each person in your division 2x - first 3 games then last three games - random in between.

each division winner (3)

50% of the league makes the playoffs? When is your superbowl? week 16 or 17? We voted against the SB being in week 17.

We do division winners and next best record - no byes.

50% of the league makes the playoffs? When is your superbowl? week 16 or 17? We voted against the SB being in week 17.

We do division winners and next best record - no byes.

superbowl is week 16

playoffs start week 14

entry $400

playoff 1st round loser $200

semis $600

Finalist 1k

winner 2k

our commish doensn't pay the entry fee :wub:

superbowl is week 16

playoffs start week 14

entry $400

playoff 1st round loser $200

semis $600

Finalist 1k

winner 2k

our commish doensn't pay the entry fee :thumbsup:

14 teams, $500 per team. Commish doesn't pay entry fee (me), but pays for the league website CBS and for the rental hall and all that jazz.

2 divisions of 7. top 2 division winners make it, then 4 wild cards by record and the highest scoring team out of the remaining 8 teams makes it to the playoffs, regardless of record.

Winner gets $2,000, there is $100 paid out in weekly prizes and division winners get $500, 2nd gets $100

3 divisions of 4

each division winner (3)

almost the same. we have a keeper league w/ a max of up to 2 players that cost you possibly your 1st and 2nd round picks. I have LT and AP and the bitches in my division talked a lot of crap while I was suffering thorugh emotional drama in real life, but I am back. our divisions stay the same over the years so you develop a real hatred for the others in your division, like the oilers-pittsburgh rivalry. (I am still hurting from the move to Tennessee but my Texans are ready this year.)

Can't believe I haven't heard it yet.

Odd number draft picks in one division, evens in the other.

weeks 6,7,8 are the interdivisional games.

Top 3 from each division makes playoffs, with leader having first round bye.

weeks 14-15-16 are playoffs.

4 divisions of 3 teams each

you play your two co-divisional opponents twice (first three weeks of year plus last three with an intra-divisional opponent in each of those 3-somes)

you play everyone else once, rotating by division. we actually have an A/B/C schedule that rotates each year. this year we're back to C. not only does the order in which you play your divisional opponents rotate (3 permutations), but the order in which you play the other divisions rotates each year. everything in 3's.

4 division winners plus 2 wildcards make it. two teams get byes.

week 14-week 16 (championship)

4 divisions of 3 teams each

you play your two co-divisional opponents twice (first three weeks of year plus last three with an intra-divisional opponent in each of those 3-somes)

you play everyone else once, rotating by division. we actually have an A/B/C schedule that rotates each year. this year we're back to C. not only does the order in which you play your divisional opponents rotate (3 permutations), but the order in which you play the other divisions rotates each year. everything in 3's.

4 division winners plus 2 wildcards make it. two teams get byes.

week 14-week 16 (championship)

That's what I was going to type. The main advantage is that it allows a championship in week 16. We assign divisions by random draw prior to the start of the draft.

3 divisions with 4 teams in each. 4 teams make the playoffs with the three division winners and a wild card being those teams. Teams are randomly assigned to divisions.

We do

1-4 in 1 div, 5-8 in division 2, and 9-12 in the last

Week 1-3 play your division, and again 12-14

Top 4 make playoffs for week 15+16 - avoid week 17

Here's the twist -

Bottom 8 make losers bracket - playoffs for them are 14-17 - top two winners split small dough 50-25 - This keeps owners interested even if they don't make top tier they still have some chump change to play for.

Here's what I do in my 12 team league. 3 divisions of 4 based on the season before, I'll put the worst 4 teams in one division, the next four in one, and the four playoff teams in one. I also use this as the draft order, the worst 4 teams go first and so on. Last year I made things more interesting for the last two weeks (playoff weeks). 4 teams make the playoffs, and then I took the worst 4 teams (who will be in the same division the following year) and matched them up against each other to determine the draft order within their division, the two winners would play each other the following week and the two losing teams play each other for the higher pick, so the one who wins them all out of the four will have the number one draft pick the following year. I did this for all three divisions. Since I base the draft order on how you finish, I had people talking about throwing games at the end of the year, so they could get the number one pick, but since I started this, it eliminated that issue, and extended the season for those who didn't make the playoffs by having something to play for. Everyone in the league liked it, and we're gonna continue it.

12 Teams 1 Division

Total wins then total points. Top 6 are in.

Divisions are BS.

Divisions are good, and I hate to break the news but allowing 50% of the teams into the playoffs is as you say................B.S. :thumbsdown:

12 Teams 1 Division

Total wins then total points. Top 6 are in.

Divisions are BS.

Half of the league making the playoffs is BS. Makes the season games mean less when all you have to do is have a better record than half the league, so basically the season really starts when it's playoff time, at the end of the season, that sux.

We do four random divisions of three teams w/ two wild cards. With a 13 week reg season this allows you to play divsion matchups twice and still play everybody else in the league.

Having the wildcards keeps more teams in the playoff hunt for much longer (less tanking) and good teams in tough divisions can still make the playoffs. Last year only 3 teams were out of playoff contention by week 10 and a good team (9-4) was able to make the playoffs despite not winning their division. They were unfortunate to be in the same division as a team with Brady and LT. We've never had a sub .500 team make the playoffs.

Divisions are great for creating rivalries and wildcards are good for keeping teams in contention and making interdivision games more meaning full.

We do four random divisions of three teams w/ two wild cards. With a 13 week reg season this allows you to play divsion matchups twice and still play everybody else in the league.

Having the wildcards keeps more teams in the playoff hunt for much longer (less tanking) and good teams in tough divisions can still make the playoffs. Last year only 3 teams were out of playoff contention by week 10 and a good team (9-4) was able to make the playoffs despite not winning their division. They were unfortunate to be in the same division as a team with Brady and LT. We've never had a sub .500 team make the playoffs.

Divisions are great for creating rivalries and wildcards are good for keeping teams in contention and making interdivision games more meaning full.

We're the same. Drew for four divisions and never changed. It's fun having the division rivalries and the rivalries among who is the best division and such.

were cutting out divisions this year for the first time. last year we ended up with 4 VERY strong teams in the same division and it just didnt work.. the other side had one solid but not great team go 11-2 and cake walk to the championship. he lost but it caused so much bitching I am taking it out this year.. dont really see a need for them anyways :dunno:

Original draft was random draw for 3 divisions of 4 teams. Every year after that the three division winners stay in the same division and draft the rest of the teams in their divisions. Draft order is based on playoff results.

were cutting out divisions this year for the first time. last year we ended up with 4 VERY strong teams in the same division and it just didnt work.. the other side had one solid but not great team go 11-2 and cake walk to the championship. he lost but it caused so much bitching I am taking it out this year.. dont really see a need for them anyways :dunno:

That happened to us. We had a division winner go under .500. But thats the breaks. A lot about fantasy football is luck and that team just happened to play in a crappy division. Teams bickered but we got over it and moved on and kept divisions.

That happened to us. We had a division winner go under .500. But thats the breaks. A lot about fantasy football is luck and that team just happened to play in a crappy division. Teams bickered but we got over it and moved on and kept divisions.

We've kept every1 in same divisions(12 teams, 3 divs) every year in hopes of building rivalries, but I really don't think anyone gives a ###### about rivalries, and I'm thinking killing the divisions would be for best. And to people that say a lot about fantasy football is luck, you're right there is a lot of luck involved, but when you can positively remove one factor of the luck involved like this why wouldn't you do it?

1 league is 3 divisions with 4 teams and it stays the same every year. in my division there are two of us that generally make the playoffs. Division winners and 1 wildcard. Another league is top 6 make the playoffs.

I like the top 6 a little better than divisions. It allows for some great matchups in the playoffs letting the best 6 teams in rather than someone with an easy division.

We've kept every1 in same divisions(12 teams, 3 divs) every year in hopes of building rivalries, but I really don't think anyone gives a ###### about rivalries, and I'm thinking killing the divisions would be for best. And to people that say a lot about fantasy football is luck, you're right there is a lot of luck involved, but when you can positively remove one factor of the luck involved like this why wouldn't you do it?

I'm sure as many of you commissioners know, if you remove one aspect, players will still find something to complain about the following season.

Plus divisions help keeping the schedule consistent from year to year. Personally I like division's. I think it adds to the fun of it. Just like in real life, a team like the Seahawks could play in a crappy division and still make the playoffs. The nfL doesn't take the six best teams. That's my argument for divisions.

Draft positioning dictates division alignment. This system allows for every end of a serpentine draft to be represented in each division.

a. 1,4,7,10

B. 2,5,8,11

C. 3,6,9,12

3 divisions with 4 teams in each. 4 teams make the playoffs with the three division winners and a wild card being those teams. Teams are randomly assigned to divisions.

That works for our league as well. :thumbsup:

I actually like this idea.

It allows for a top 3 team to at least make the playoffs, giving everyone a chance.

I usually just have one big division, but your idea sounds good.