Sign in to follow this  
aggiewildlife

Arians: David Johnson unlikely to play rest of season

it's really tough to say. I could see him getting a couple of late season starts, but I could also see managment shutting him down for the year if they are out of the run for a playoff spot.

I have him as a keeper. And I wish he would play a couple games this year even though I dont think I would play him in his first game back. Or maybe not at all.

Johnson wants to return and if it's up to him he will if healthy, however, it's not up to him. It's pretty clear the front office will have the final say, and it doesn't seem promising from everything I'm hearing here in AZ.

Why would the team let him return of there is no true gain from doing so?

You play to win the game.

Why is any super star still in a game in a blowout win or loss?

There is always the year end evaluation of your talent. DJ is no exception.

and letting him go back in the spring having not played in almost a full year may not be fully desireable.

giving him one or two games at the end of the season may not be a terrible thing but the question also becomes whether they give him full reps.

Another variable, suck to get higher draft for QB. I know players don't think about it, but sure management has it at the back of their mind.

Suppose to be a good QB class next year, so every slot matters. But again, too early to tell.

Depend on how AZ doing rest of the year, if they are in the hunt, it doesn't hurt to pick up DJ.

Why is any super star still in a game in a blowout win or loss?

Bad coaching decisions.

That's the way I see it, and would answer that question

There is always the year end evaluation of your talent. DJ is no exception.

and letting him go back in the spring having not played in almost a full year may not be fully desireable.

giving him one or two games at the end of the season may not be a terrible thing but the question also becomes whether they give him full reps.

Ok let's say they do that for reps.

And oops he goes down again, now what?

So now you have a QB problem going into next season, your best wr might retire.

And now because you wanted to get your stud player a few reps right before the off season he gets hurt again and isn't ready for next season, seems like another made move.

The season is over it's done you indeed need him more for next season then just trying to get some reps for the off season.

Heck he might play I mean coaches do make bad descions.

But if I was the coach he's done for the season, we can catch up on reps next camp.

Would you trade McFadden for him?

No why trade for a player that's on the field for one that's not going to play.

Keeper of course, but redraft no.

Too bad. These guys just can't sit around for a couple years without playing. And noone of note plays much in the preseason. And the league has now has the limited hitting in practice rules. And we here more than ever how bad the talent in the league is.

Too bad. These guys just can't sit around for a couple years without playing. And noone of note plays much in the preseason. And the league has now has the limited hitting in practice rules. And we here more than ever how bad the talent in the league is.

Ok I ask you this, more important to your team.

Your stud player coming back for a few reps before the off season, or having him for a entire season next year?

No guarantee he gets hurt if he does return this season , but non that he won't, and of course no guarantee he won't get hurt next season either.

As a ff owner bring him back, if I was a Zona fan I would want him back for next season.

And if I'm his couch he's done.

How about you?

Your stud player coming back for a few reps before the off season, or having him for a entire season next year?

No guarantee he gets hurt if he does return this season , but non that he won't, and of course no guarantee he won't get hurt next season either.

As a ff owner bring him back, if I was a Zona fan I would want him back for next season.

How about you?

Well yeah most of us get that, but it seems you are assuming most coaches are logical and smart people. I think coaches are terrible at their job, hence why so many leave their starters in too long when it's unnecessary

How about you?

Im not speaking of fantasy football about this. I just think players need to play some during tbe year to have their body remember the game. Do you think that when a team is eliminated that all returning players should be benched for the remainder of the season?

Anyway. I wonder what coaches and ex players would say.

Now that's an excellent point.

No I don't think they should stop playing because they have been eliminated, that's a great question and great point I agree with you.

But there comes a time during a seaso when teams don't have more to play for the teams that have won everything they can win and will make the playoffs have the number one seed, and we do see them sit players.

Thanks for your reply you hit on some excellent points.

I will finsh with this, if I was in charge of the situation he wouldn't return.

And I don't think he will, with that said he might and I know others think that he should, and that's all good with me.

So I guess we will soon see.

So now you have a QB problem going into next season, your best wr might retire.

And now because you wanted to get your stud player a few reps right before the off season he gets hurt again and isn't ready for next season, seems like another made move.

The season is over it's done you indeed need him more for next season then just trying to get some reps for the off season.

Heck he might play I mean coaches do make bad descions.

But if I was the coach he's done for the season, we can catch up on reps next camp.

you are right. but that could also happen in exhibition.

There is also a bit of an obligation to the fans to put a decent product onto the field.

If your stud RB comes in and plays the last 2-3 regular season games and blows the doors off, Season tickets for next year may not be a tough sell.

anyways. the bottom line is nobody truly knows. There are reasons to play him and there are reasons to sit him. In the end it comes down to what management's preference is.

There is also a bit of an obligation to the fans to put a decent product onto the field.

If your stud RB comes in and plays the last 2-3 regular season games and blows the doors off, Season tickets for next year may not be a tough sell.

anyways. the bottom line is nobody truly knows. There are reasons to play him and there are reasons to sit him. In the end it comes down to what management's preference is.

Great points.

Lol I agree we don't know they do, in the end it's just been fun talking about it.

Thanks for your reply.

It makes sense. I'm not a big fan but I hear it's big problem in basketball when people are paying big dollars to take their kid to see James or whoever is considered a great in person watch just to find out when you get there that 3 starters are sitting out that game for want of rest. Cleveland is notorious for playing halfass basketball just to make the playoffs then ramp it up for the playoffs. Aren't they?

I think it's interesting that both sides are valid. I would lean towards making the player happy in situations like these, and that means allowing him to play while supporting the positive aspects - that have been cited by good posters here - of him doing so (keeping him in prime game mode; boosting fan optimism for the future, etc).

I think he plays in week 14.

I think it's interesting that both sides are valid. I would lean towards making the player happy in situations like these, and that means allowing him to play while supporting the positive aspects - that have been cited by good posters here - of him doing so (keeping him in prime game mode; boosting fan optimism for the future, etc).

I think he plays in week 14.

I tend to agree....palmer also talking of a return. Been saving my waiver priority for grabbing Johnson......may snare him next week.

Hunt, McCoy, and DJ would be a tough 3 backs on the roster.

Cast is off, now it is all depend on the recovery.

Can you imagine David Johnson playing the Giants on week 16 fighting for a play off berth... that possibility alone should worth a bench spot. Now that I think about it.

for what it's worth, i lost DJ on one particular team, and have still managed to put myself in position for the playoffs despite using joe mixon, cj anderson, and doug martin as my runningbacks.

i can't see WINNING with those guys, so i actually picked DJ back up today and am stashing him and praying

I'm in great position right now (8-2 in my league) and thus might add Johnson and possibly Aaron Rodgers in preparation for a playoff run. It may cost me a win here or there in the meantime, but assuming I'm close to a lock to make the playoffs, I'm thinking of strategizing for success during the playoffs rather than just trying to win from week to week in the regular season. I'm definitely interested in Johnson, but not as certain about Rodgers's status.

I'm in great position right now (8-2 in my league) and thus might add Johnson and possibly Aaron Rodgers in preparation for a playoff run. It may cost me a win here or there in the meantime, but assuming I'm close to a lock to make the playoffs, I'm thinking of strategizing for success during the playoffs rather than just trying to win from week to week in the regular season. I'm definitely interested in Johnson, but not as certain about Rodgers's status.

Think i might wait one more week to see if Arizona can win, maybe hear something on recovery, etc. Plus im about to just drop Derrick Henry and take my chances he wont see the field. If im going to play lotto...might as well have the best ticket out there right?

I still contend that it all depends on where AZ is. If they beat Houston this weekend, at 5-5 they might still have a shot. But a loss the weekend would pretty much make me pack Johnson on the shelf for the season. The teams are so top-heavy this year, you could conceivably be 4 games back.

I still contend that it all depends on where AZ is. If they beat Houston this weekend, at 5-5 they might still have a shot. But a loss the weekend would pretty much make me pack Johnson on the shelf for the season. The teams are so top-heavy this year, you could conceivably be 4 games back.

Well, Houston is a beatable team.

I would argue if you cant beat them, you dont deserve to be in the playoffs anyways.

Well, Houston is a beatable team.

I would argue if you cant beat them, you dont deserve to be in the playoffs anyways.

I agree, it's a game they "should" win. Stanton has been passable in the last couple of weeks. My point was more around DJ. If you can't get close to the playoff hunt, there's no reason to rush him back. Get your money's worth out of what you paid for AP and don't risk the health of one of the 3 best RB in football.

Now Arians says D Johnson will not return this year "as of today."

Should we trust this and finally dump him, or is this still just coach-speak?

Do you have an IR spot? If yes, keep him. If no, it depends what is on the wire in your league.

Do you have an IR spot? If yes, keep him. If no, it depends what is on the wire in your league.

I dropped him as I have Aaron Rodgers who in my IR spot. I'm pretty sure he's done for the season at this point.

So irritating.

Rodgers gets plates and bolts in a busted throwing shoulder collerbone, and is expected back in a few weeks.

DJ has a hit on his wrist in week one, and hasn't even held a football yet.

So irritating.

Rodgers gets plates and bolts in a busted throwing shoulder collerbone, and is expected back in a few weeks.

DJ has a hit on his wrist in week one, and hasn't even held a football yet.

I don't know much of the technical bits of the human bone structure but I do see hand and feet injuries to players that draw the ire of FF players. Like, "It's just a stupid toe!" type comment.

I do know that they are thinner bones and cause large problems to performance when injured. Just think of the human hand structure. It's pretty stinkin amazing. It is why some people believe there is a God.

Neither of them will return.

I don't know much of the technical bits of the human bone structure but I do see hand and feet injuries to players that draw the ire of FF players. Like, "It's just a stupid toe!" type comment.

I do know that they are thinner bones and cause large problems to performance when injured. Just think of the human hand structure. It's pretty stinkin amazing. It is why some people believe there is a God.

This is the type of injury they NEED to take some care with.

if it doesnt heal right, he could turn into a fumbler.

That's not in anybody's best interest. Given his age, and value to the team, it makes sense for the team to use some caution in dealing with the situation.

Im not speaking of fantasy football about this. I just think players need to play some during tbe year to have their body remember the game. Do you think that when a team is eliminated that all returning players should be benched for the remainder of the season?

Anyway. I wonder what coaches and ex players would say.

Boils down to common sense. In DJ's case, his wrist probably wouldn't be 100% as it takes time to truly heal. Players come back all the time when they're able to get on the field even if that's less than 100% healthy. Why push it on a franchise caliber player?

I believe the same is true for Rodgers. Will his bones be completely healed? How much stronger will they be next September vs a few weeks from now? This is his throwing shoulder and the Packers are already looking at loss #6 with a visit to Pittsburgh this week. An 8-8 maybe 9-7 team? What if Rodgers came back and took another shot in the shoulder against Carolina or Minnesota? You don't want a "Tony Romo downward spiral".

Next year has to be the priority.