Sign in to follow this  
Marshall

Any thoughts on Kaepernick's possible destination?

He is then going to whine that he is being blackballed for his stance...

Are you a seer? We have not heard a word out of him, much less any 'whining' - and I doubt that we will.

Mike Tanier has written a piece that deals with this very subject, and includes other players in addition to Kaepernick: 'Fear and Free Agency in the Era of Political Activism'. As an aid to possibly understanding others, I recommend giving it a read.

http://www.bleacherreport.com/articles/2696798-fear-and-free-agency-in-the-era-of-political-activism

Are you a seer? We have not heard a word out of him, much less any 'whining' - and I doubt that we will.

Mike Tanier has written a piece that deals with this very subject, and includes other players in addition to Kaepernick: 'Fear and Free Agency in the Era of Political Activism'. As an aid to possibly understanding others, I recommend giving it a read.

http://www.bleacherreport.com/articles/2696798-fear-and-free-agency-in-the-era-of-political-activism

I am a person with common sense. He is not complaining because he still thinks he is going to get a job. Once he does not we will absolutely hear him complain that he is being blackballed.

The criteria you are using is misleading. If you are to go based on that Logic, Romo (and every other unsigned free agent QB also isnt in the top 64 QB's in the NFL.

when it comes to these things, it's not just about where you rank talent wise. It's about how much money you are asking for as well.

When you consider the size of the contract he walked away from, teams are gonna be careful in terms of making offers. it's tough for a player who was making 15+ mil per year to swallow his pride and sign for 4-6 mil.

and if he is asking for the same money (15+ mil) he will be sitting for a long time because that places him in the top half of the NFL QB's salary wise and I truly dont think he is there.

Even if Kap is willing to play for 5 mil per year, one concern that teams will have is whether he will be a malcontent at that salary.

That being said, if Kap is willing to sign for 5-7 mil per year, he will play somewhere (as a starter or a backup) But it will take some times for teams to do their due diligence.

If I were signing him, I'd interview him, take him to dinner, talk about what he wants, what kind of offense he wants to play in, and make 100% sure that he's gonna want to be there. Nobody wants a malcontent on the roster, and that is the primary concern with a guy like Kap. So when it comes to signing him, teams will take their time and do the necessary due diligence.

and I figure a lot of QB's wont be signed until Romo signs somewhere first. That will likely allow teams to have a better idea of where they stand.

I don't think you can't count Tony Romo because he's not in the same situation as the others... the Cowboys still own him. A team would not only have to give up cash, but something else in order to get him. Also, the Cowboys have to want to trade him.

if he signs for anymore than the 675k veteran min in the NFL I would be shocked. If a team gives him 5 mil they are morons and deserve what they get. I would rather have Tebow.

if he signs for anymore than the 675k veteran min in the NFL I would be shocked. If a team gives him 5 mil they are morons and deserve what they get. I would rather have Tebow.

Let's not get carried away now.

kilroy your posts would indicate you're a disaffected 9ers fan or you gave up a bunch to get Kaep in a trade not long ago. Or both. Which is it?

romo and cutler have been linked to teams. Kaep has not had a single visit and not been linked to a single team. Which is exactly how its going to stay. He is then going to whine that he is being blackballed for his stance instead of the fact that no NFL team is going to pay a QB who's only good years came before a rule change that effectively stopped him from being the player he was.

The lack of visits may have something to do with what I spoke of earlier.

he gave up a 15+ million dollar contract to become a free agent. He also has the political activism thing going on. and in an earlier post I mentioned that he is not what I would call a great vocal leader.

Most of the question marks are surrounding money and character.

and if his agent says he wants 15 mil when teams call, that would likely be the end of the conversation.

I dont know what he is asking. I'm just using that number as an example. But if the asking price isnt within a reasonable range of what the team is willing to pay, there will be no visit.

I would argue that no visits really isnt an indication of his talent. It just means that he is likely asking too much, and/or his character/leadership issues are hurting him a bit.

I think it may also be the case where the teams interested, likely have at least one other free agent candidate they would prefer to Kap.

That does not place him outside the top 64. but it likely does place him outside the top 25-30 (depending on who you talk to)

He just did some charity thing with Somalia. If a team signs him it's going to be because of this genius pr move that might give a GM cover to sign him

Ralphster. Neither. If the rules were the way they used to be he would be a good QB. That read option made him man. Im telling you. Without it he's a sub par QB.

If you look at his numbers last season he wasn't bad on a team that had very little help at the Wr /Te postion.

I still think he can help a team, and I still think he will be on a team come September.

If you look at his numbers last season he wasn't bad on a team that had very little help at the Wr /Te postion.

I still think he can help a team, and I still think he will be on a team come September.

without a doubt.

the only thing that may keep this from happening is his expectations.

Like I said. If he expects 15 mil, he will sit a long time. If he expects 5-8 mil, he may find himself gainfully employed.

Agreed.

Money is the issue and he will find another home if he lowers his expectations.

depending on what you use to rate him. I was reading an article that ranked him as the 30th out of all starters.

Walmart... I was there today and they had this really old guy greeting people. My first thought was "Kap could do that... and probably way better than the old guy". I mean, how often will he need to progress to his second or third read?

• Like 1

Walmart... I was there today and they had this really old guy greeting people. My first thought was "Kap could do that... and probably way better than the old guy". I mean, how often will he need to progress to his second or third read?

Will they let him sit down to greet people? (Kap I mean, not the old guy who will obviously stand to do it because its respectful).

This is so sooo excellent.

Not really.

It is ok for you not to have a sense of humor. But that is funny.

Funny. Cam had to have surgery and may not be back for the first game. Anyone heard Kaeps name attached to the panthers?

No I haven't heard his name being attached to any team at this time.

But it will change.

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports Colin Kaepernick is looking for a team which "offers him a chance to compete for a starting job."Graziano adds Kap is looking for "something like $9 million to $10 million"

Hahahahahaahahaahaha.....hahahaahahaahaha. IF he signs he is going to be a backup making 4 mil a year. And that is even a big IF.

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports Colin Kaepernick is looking for a team which "offers him a chance to compete for a starting job."Graziano adds Kap is looking for "something like $9 million to $10 million"

Hahahahahaahahaahaha.....hahahaahahaahaha. IF he signs he is going to be a backup making 4 mil a year. And that is even a big IF.

I dont know that there will be many takers at 10 mil, but that may be a part of the negotiation.

Either way, That is likely the reason he hasnt had too many teams bringing him in to check him out.

as the season approaches, he will eventually drop his salary demands and the interest will pick up.

You also have to keep in mind, that there are only so many teams in need of a QB.

and of those teams, not all have an OC capable of creating a game plan to maximize his skill while minimizing the weaknesses in his game.

anyone wanting this guy to be a pure drop back QB in a traditional offense isnt likely going to be happy.

You're gonna want to use the Pistol, maybe the shotgun, you're gonna wanna do some bootleg plays, and do things to open things up.

Not all OC's are willing to put together that kind of offense.

so the pool of teams interested in Kap may not be very large.

That being said, I could see Andy Reid being a good coach for him. He has had two running QB's in McNabb and Vick. Both did well while he coached them. But I think Kap may not be willing to be a backup for a year or two while waiting for another shot at starting.

I dont know that there will be many takers at 10 mil, but that may be a part of the negotiation.

Either way, That is likely the reason he hasnt had too many teams bringing him in to check him out.

as the season approaches, he will eventually drop his salary demands and the interest will pick up.

You also have to keep in mind, that there are only so many teams in need of a QB.

and of those teams, not all have an OC capable of creating a game plan to maximize his skill while minimizing the weaknesses in his game.

anyone wanting this guy to be a pure drop back QB in a traditional offense isnt likely going to be happy.

You're gonna want to use the Pistol, maybe the shotgun, you're gonna wanna do some bootleg plays, and do things to open things up.

Not all OC's are willing to put together that kind of offense.

so the pool of teams interested in Kap may not be very large.

That being said, I could see Andy Reid being a good coach for him. He has had two running QB's in McNabb and Vick. Both did well while he coached them. But I think Kap may not be willing to be a backup for a year or two while waiting for another shot at starting.

both those QBs played and excelled under a very different set of NFL rules. Vick would not have been successful under the new read option rules just as Kaepernick has not. It can not be stressed enough how much the read option helped Kaepernick. Or more importantly the loss of it hurt him.

Kaepernick's 39.8 QBR throwing inside the pocket the past two seasons is dead last out of 32 quarterbacks. His overall QBR is 30th out of 32 qbs for the last 2 years. Explain to me again how great of a QB he is? He is certainly not a starter for sure. That being said would you want the worst pocket passer in the nfl the last 2 seasons as a backup? The idea of a backup being that if your starter goes down they can manage the game to the point of not losing. Anyone that thinks he can do this is nuts. The fact he opted out of a 15 million dollar contract shows he lives in a bubble surrounded by people giving him bad advice.......about everything.

• Like 1

Yeah I would take him as a back up Qb.

Yeah I would take him as a back up Qb.

Knowing he is the worst pocket passer in the NFL? That makes no sense.

I would still take him as a back up Qb.

Kaepernick's 39.8 QBR throwing inside the pocket the past two seasons is dead last out of 32 quarterbacks. His overall QBR is 30th out of 32 qbs for the last 2 years. Explain to me again how great of a QB he is? He is certainly not a starter for sure. That being said would you want the worst pocket passer in the nfl the last 2 seasons as a backup? The idea of a backup being that if your starter goes down they can manage the game to the point of not losing. Anyone that thinks he can do this is nuts. The fact he opted out of a 15 million dollar contract shows he lives in a bubble surrounded by people giving him bad advice.......about everything.

I too questioned why he would walk away from a 15 million dollar contract.

But,

there is the very real possibility that San Fran may have dumped him at that salary anyways. so it is possible that they advised him and he decided to exercise his 'escape' clause to save face.

so I wouldnt look into that too much.

some years ago I went online here and said that Kap wasnt as good as the stats showed when he came on the scene with great stats and huge fanfare. Now I'm saying hes not as bad as what we have seen.

When a QB isnt successful, there can (and are) various reasons for that.

it could be any (or a combination) of the following:

• poor line that lets pressure get to the QB
  • sub par WR's who dont catch the balls thrown to them or who dont run routes (and as a result are not in the place they are supposed to be when the QB tosses the ball)
  • poor scheme that does not take advantages of the QB's strengths or minimize his weaknesses.
  • sub par QB play due to various reasons: (typically Mechanics & decision making, but other reasons exist)

In Kaps case a lot of the boxes are checked.

The only Legit WR they had was a deep ball WR (and Kap isnt know for his deep ball Accuracy)

The line has been adequate at best, but subpar most of the time (worth noting, during the year he performed the best, the line was very good to excellent)

Since the departure of Harbaugh, I dont think the Scheme really helped him either.

That being said, I have also seen some throws made where he shouldnt have, but interestingly enough, most of those were during that huge year he had. I saw plays where I thought he should have had an INT but didnt and the WR caught it for a big play.

either way, This is a QB that NEEDS a scheme that will play to his strengths. (ability to scramble, roll out etc) He is not a pocket passer. He can do it if he has decent amount of time to make a decision, but he's at his best when scrambling and rolling out of the pocket. I dont know the numbers, but I'd bet his QB rating when he's outside the pocket are better than when he is in the pocket.

one other thing that has affected his numbers in a bad way is that he got to play Seattle and Arizona and the Rams 2 times each year. most of his career, all 3 had very good defenses. This clearly affected his numbers as well. one year I ran the numbers and his passer rating against these teams was low, but in most of his other games, the passer rating was considerably higher.

I do think that he is a low end starter or high end backup. but he will only fit into a system that allows for him to use his athleticism to make plays. He could probably be a backup in Green Bay, pittsburgh, KC because all 3 have QB's that are athletic and can run the ball so the adjustment to Kap at QB wouldnt be that bad. I'm pretty sure all 3 Co-ordinators can make an offense work with him as backup. I think he could probably start in Denver and I think the staff could put together a game plan that would work for him but there has to be a willingness for the team to do this.

He wants to start. I'm pretty sure that is his number one motovation. I do think he could start in Cleveland. Hue Jackson could probably make that offense work with him at QB. once again, the question isnt can he, but more along the lines of 'does he want to do it?'

anyways, If I had to rank the top 40 QB's in the NFL, he would be on that list. likely somewhere between #25 and #35. This would make him a fringe starter or top notch backup.

• Like 1

Jokes aside, I still he will land somewhere after the draft. We will see. Same for some of the other free agents. His best receiver last year was Jerome Kerley. I am not a fan but he is better than some who've already been signed.

Jokes aside, I still he will land somewhere after the draft. We will see. Same for some of the other free agents. His best receiver last year was Jerome Kerley. I am not a fan but he is better than some who've already been signed.

At this point, I dont think there will be many signings until after the draft shakes out.

Lots of teams are thinking they may be able to acquire someone at the draft or make a trade for someone. lots of those plans will firm up or fall through on or about draft day and then there will be a wave of signings and a new round of tire kicking (ie. player visits, workouts etc).

From today:

"After gracing the cover of Time last fall, Colin Kaepernick has been named to the magazine’s Top 100 Influential People list. Kaepernick’s protests impacted humanity on a global level. Some became empowered to enlist as community leaders or simply express their frustrations with a perceived cultural imbalance. Others tore apart every ounce of Kaepernick, from his motivation to his patriotism..."

It is good to see that he has garnered some public respect, after the vitriol and garbage that has been spewed in his general (and specific) direction...and all the sweeter that Jim Harbaugh was asked to pen his thoughts on this occasion.

Read on: http://thefootballgirl.com/jim-harbaugh-colin-kaepernick-time/

Ray, if he doesn't sign anywhere or isn't at least offered a contract as a backup, the NFL will get a lot of heat and someone in Congress will make political use of it and threaten some sort of investigation.

There sure is a lot of talk about him signing now the draft has settled