Sign in to follow this  
Wildman

2008 Rookie Scouting Portfolio

I read this morning that Jerome Harrison will be the back up to Lewis. I liked Harrison coming out of school. His style reminds me of Priest Holmes, although I wouldn't say he'll ever be as talented. He'll be the 1st and 2nd down back and Wright would be the 3rd down guy according Crennell

I read this morning that Jerome Harrison will be the back up to Lewis. I liked Harrison coming out of school. His style reminds me of Priest Holmes, although I wouldn't say he'll ever be as talented. He'll be the 1st and 2nd down back and Wright would be the 3rd down guy according Crennell

Where did you read that? I'm a Browns fan, and I've heard these same reports ever since Harrison was drafted, but I've never heard Romeo say that, and Wright has always been the #2. Harrison has had problems in pass protection, and he seems to make bone-head plays from time to time. There's no doubt that he's a talented runner.

I'll do a search and see what I can find, but I wouldn't mind reading your link.

Where did you read that? I'm a Browns fan, and I've heard these same reports ever since Harrison was drafted, but I've never heard Romeo say that, and Wright has always been the #2. Harrison has had problems in pass protection, and he seems to make bone-head plays from time to time. There's no doubt that he's a talented runner.

I'll do a search and see what I can find, but I wouldn't mind reading your link.

it took me a whopping 4 seconds to find it and that's just because the page was loading:

Jerome Harrison-RB- Browns Aug. 31 - 9:54 am et

Browns GM Phil Savage outlined the roles of his backup running backs.

If Jamal Lewis suffers an injury, Jerome Harrison would take over first- and second-down plays, and Jason Wright would stay as a third-down back and special teamer. Savage said Lewis (hamstring) should be "good to go in the next day or two." He also stated that Lewis needs at least 15-20 carries weekly to "maximize what he can do," so the other backs won't see regular carries. Still, Harrison is now the best handcuff for Lewis owners.

Source: Canton Repository

fyi: www.rotoworld.com

it took me a whopping 4 seconds to find it and that's just because the page was loading:

Jerome Harrison-RB- Browns Aug. 31 - 9:54 am et

Browns GM Phil Savage outlined the roles of his backup running backs.

If Jamal Lewis suffers an injury, Jerome Harrison would take over first- and second-down plays, and Jason Wright would stay as a third-down back and special teamer. Savage said Lewis (hamstring) should be "good to go in the next day or two." He also stated that Lewis needs at least 15-20 carries weekly to "maximize what he can do," so the other backs won't see regular carries. Still, Harrison is now the best handcuff for Lewis owners.

Source: Canton Repository

fyi: www.rotoworld.com

I think Savage misspoke. Wright has never been the 3rd down back. Wright's an every down back. The Browns wanted Harrison to be a 3rd down change of pace back, but Harrison couldn't get the pass blocking down. If Lewis were to go down, both backs would play, but if Harrison is the 1st & 2nd down back, and gets the majority of the carries, I'll be very surprised, because I've yet to see it on the field.

If Jamal were gone for an extended period of time, you would basically see Jerome take over the first- and second-down type plays, and Jason would probably stay in the role he has now, which is a third-down back and a special teams guy.

http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=4287...ubCategoryID=26

McFadden and Gholston Busts?

This is an article written by Greg Cosell. If you don't know this guy, here's his profile (you should already be familiar with his work even if you didn't know the name):

In 28 years with NFL Films, senior producer Greg Cosell has been both a documentary filmmaker, helping to shape and expand the writing and editing style that defines NFL Films, and executive producer of network sports television programs, most notably "State Farm NFL Matchup." After creating the matchup concept along with NFL Films president Steve Sabol in 1984, Greg has guided the show's evolution. Greg, the nephew of broadcasting icon Howard Cosell, studies and evaluates "coaching tape" -- the same tape used by coaches and players in the NFL to game plan each week -- along with hosts Ron Jaworski and Merril Hoge, making him uniquely equipped to analyze the NFL game. Greg also uses his expansive list of NFL contacts to discuss the game from both a tactical and personnel standpoint.

Greg echoes my thoughts on McFadden, which is why I found this piece very interesting.

Ughhh...I am spitting the bit on Ryan Grant in Week 1 and going with Lion, Kevin Smith. Feeling a little queezy with a rook in Week 1. :ninja:

Just read Paul Hubbard was released today. The only way that happens is Hubbard did something wrong and the team decided he wasn't worth the headache.

Think about it: you make the team and they cut a guy (Sanders) that they had on their roster for 2 years and put him on the practice squad, but then the night before the opener they cut you and add Sanders back to the regular roster?

Makes no sense unless Hubbard was late to meetings, failed a some sort of league mandated test, violated a discipline policy, or got hurt.

Browns Add Steve Sanders to 53-Man Roster; Paul Hubbard Waived

by Chris Pokorny on Sep 6, 2008 5:40 PM EDT in General News

I guess a few years on the practice squad and making efforts to improve can pay off in the NFL after all. East High graduate Steve Sanders was signed to the active roster today after originally being placed on the team's practice squad earlier in the week.

To make room for Sanders, the team waived rookie WR Paul Hubbard. You'd have to assume that the Browns are hoping Hubbard will slip through the waiver wire right on to their practice squad. If I'm a betting man, I'd say that'll happen.

Strategically, this could be a good move. Teams are pretty much set with their rosters in preparation for tomorrow's game, so the chances of someone claiming a receiver who is still very raw are not too high. If nobody has signed Travis Wilson, I don't see how they sign Hubbard.

It is interesting that the Browns made this move -- in a way, you'd have to believe that if they activated Sanders the day before the game, they have intentions of having him active. There is no way that Hubbard would've been active for this game. That leads me to believe that Joshua Cribbs is all but out for this game, and with Syndric Steptoe set to fulfill kick return duties, Sanders would become the No. 3 receiver.

Link

Matt, this is all speculation, but I'm pretty sure that Cribbs is out, and if Lewis is unable to go, or limited today, then I can see where Romeo wouldn't be too comfortable putting Wright or Harrison back on kick and punt returns. Cribbs was not only a punt/kick returner, but also a gunner, and leading tackler on special teams. I know the Browns feel comfortable with Steptoe returning punts/kicks, but who else do they have after Steptoe?

For the record, I think Lewis plays, but this does make me wonder if Romeo is not too comfortable with Lewis being able to play much today.

Edit: Pool looks to be out as well, and his replacement, Mike Adams, is also a special team player....

Matt, you're not going to make me regret drafting Kevin Smith over Forte in my rookie draft, are you? :first:

Sad to say, i think Forte is better than Kevin Smith.

Sad to say, i think Forte is better than Kevin Smith.

This year, of course. Dynasty, it could wind up being a closer comparison.

Matt -

Why did BenJarvus Green-Ellis go undrafted?

Good question and the answer should give you additional insight on the running back position in the NFL. BenJarvus Green-Ellis was a player several scouts/analysts felt had enough skill to make an NFL team. He's strong, straight ahead runner. But there are far more talented college running backs, with pro ability than there are spots on an NFL depth chart.

Green-Ellis played on an Ole Miss team with some excellent offensive linemen - Michael Oher, the subject of a best-selling book, will likely be a top 15 pick this year at LT - but the blocking scheme was a very simple one. Green-Ellis was not a very creative runner and from what I saw, he never veered from the design of the blocking scheme. If that meant he gained 15 yards, awesome. If it meant he gained -2 yards when there was a gaping hole one quick cut away, so be it.

Green-Ellis, Rueben Droughns, Ryan Grant, and late-round picks Derrick Ward and Earnest Graham are all examples of talented players who were a bit too raw to stick with a team. RB is probably the one position where it's always good to remember the backs not drafted who were once considered mid-to-late round picks, if not high round picks before an injury because they frequently develop into decent fantasy players even if it is for a short stretch.

I think Ken Darby, now with the Rams, is a candidate to make this list one day. Same with Kregg Lumpkin and maybe even Darnell Savage with Kansas City.

Yeah, he's not real creative for sure, and didn't show much last weekend. I like his low pad running style though; in the right blocking scheme, he can be effective. I didn't see him after he transferred, but he looked great when he was a freshman at IU.

Savage suffers from the same size bias that affected Justin Forsett. Both are doing decent as kick returners.