Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**2012 Masters Thread**

17 MPH right now...is it supposed to get worse or better this afternoon?

Checking the hourly forecast it looks like it's supposed to die down as the day goes on. Good news for the afternoon players.

17 MPH right now...is it supposed to get worse or better this afternoon?

It's 54 degrees Cloudy and 17mph winds right now.

I just looked at the forcast for 3:00pm and it was 62 degrees Sunny to Partly Cloudy with 12mph winds.

So it should only get marginally better. A little more sun and a little less wind as the day goes on. But not a huge change.

It's 54 degrees Cloudy and 17mph winds right now.

I just looked at the forcast for 3:00pm and it was 62 degrees Sunny to Partly Cloudy with 12mph winds.

So it should only get marginally better. A little more sun and a little less wind as the day goes on. But not a huge change.

So it sounds like the guys who went off late yesterday and early today got the short ends of the weather stick. Tiger will have had the two best times to play - he better get his ass wired right.

Oosty off to a rough start.

The winds dying down in the afternoon will help the late players, but the drying of the greens might make for a faster putting surface....

The winds dying down in the afternoon will help the late players, but the drying of the greens might make for a faster putting surface....

If that's the case it sets up perfectly for Tiger. He loves lightning-fast greens.

Both McIlory and Garcia flying up the leaderboard at the moment...

Some of my calls are sucking teet. But I've got a couple looking pretty good: Dufner, Couples, and Serg were some of the not so obvious limb calls. I'd be totally thrilled if either of them won it. :thumbsup:

Tiger birdies #1 & #3 - damn we've got one hell of a weekend starting to shape up. :banana:

Freddy birdies#16 - only 1 shot out of the lead! :headbanger:

Too bad he missed that makable birdie on 12.

Holy cow, uber-clusterfock tie at the top, with tons of big names. :banana:

I guess all of you who were creaming your jeans because Tiger finally a tournament last week have had a reality check. Too much talent in teh game now. He'll win the occasional tournament, but he's nothing special. THose days are over.

That being said, I bet he'll get more Sportscenter coverage than anyone else tied for 28th.

Very bunched leaderboard. It's gonna be quite a Saturday.

Woods is fading fast. :thumbsup:

Tiger will need to shoot.... 62 tomorrow to have a shot on Sunday.

weather should be great so i would not expect another gift day where the lead number doesn't move. Someone will hit 8 probably 9 under.

I will take Rory over the field. It doesn't even seem like he has struck the ball worth a shiit yet. Just sank a lot of putts today.

through 2 rounds

You're right fumble, those guys are fine hunch picks. I think I initially read your post less as hunch picks just because you had all the golfers lumped into groups and the groups were pretty cut and dry.

I'll toss out my top 10 in no certain order. My 10 picks if you will. Might edit them as round 1 draws closer.

Tigger Woods - pains me to put him here but he finally put 4 good rounds together at Bay Hill. Plus guys like Tiger and Phil could miss 5 cuts in a row with their games in shambles and be right in the hunt on the back 9 on Sunday at Augusta. shooting himself out of it

Rory McIlroy - almost too much of a no brainer pick. Had he NOT won the US Open I might have said the demons would be too fresh. obvious pick, 1 back

Phil Mickelson - as mentioned for Tiger, Augusta can solve any issues hes having with his game. But this year he has actually played well of late. glad my boy shot himself back into it with a nice 68. If he fires a 65 or 66 tomorrow I think he wins

Adam Scott - Played well last year was looking like a terrible pick but he hung in there and is only 6 back

Jason Day - i think his game really fits augusta. Hasn't played alot on the pga in 2012. :nono: was thinking too much on last years finish. just hasnt played enough this year

Hunter Mahan - Won the match play, seems to be in the hunt a lot at the Masters, very good putter and ball striker. How he handles up and downs will be key. really thought hed be doing better but hes not out of it

KJ Choi - Just plays well here and not one who lets pressure get to him. this one shocked me. never thought the tank would miss the cut

Keegan Bradley - don't like him at all but have to admit he has grit and determination. :thumbsdown:

Justin Rose - everything Fumble said. If his putter gets hot, he has as good a chance as anyone. like hunter i thought he'd be better. I don't really see him making a charge

Brandt Snedeker - already a winner on tour in 2012, I like him at Augusta. at least he made the cut :dunno:

Darkhorse - Sergio :ninja: :first:

just missed - Bubba, Bill Haas and Webb

almost went bubba. I did throw money down on him in real life.

I will take Rory over the field. It doesn't even seem like he has struck the ball worth a shiit yet. Just sank a lot of putts today.

This is what I was thinking early today. Just seems like that is what is bound to happen.

I am always rooting Couples but he always does this. I find myself rooting for Sergio a lot.

This is what I was thinking early today. Just seems like that is what is bound to happen.

I am always rooting Couples but he always does this. I find myself rooting for Sergio a lot.

Obviously Rory is miles away from Tiger's prime, but there is something similar about it. Tiger would seemingly be playing like shiit yet you would look up and he was amongst he leaders. Then one good round and he gets the win. This is where it seems like Rory is heading.

Tiger will need to shoot.... 62 tomorrow to have a shot on Sunday.

weather should be great so i would not expect another gift day where the lead number doesn't move. Someone will hit 8 probably 9 under.

Tiger is done. You don't go from T-40 heading into the weekend at the Masters to winning. Has never happened. Won't happen.

The Masters is just a little over a week away...for a few of us, it is just about our favorite sports weekend of the year. For most, probably not, but still a weekend of interest. So, to start off the Masters discussion, I thought I would list my top ten favorties for this year like I did last year. Should be a great tournament this year!

Top Ten:

1. Lee Westwood- I just think it's time. Best player in the world the last five years from tee to green. Just an average putter, though, which has left him just short in the past. I think Tiger/Rory will draw most of the attention while Lee steals the show.

2. Dustin Johnson- Yeah, I know DJ has lapses in concentration and judgment, but length helps at Augusta and he's got it in spades. Should be rested and ready to unleash a round or two in the mid-60s.

3. Rory McIlroy- Best player in the world over the last 12 months. Has all the shots. Wouldn't surprise me if he won, but I think he'll come up just short this time around.

4. Zach Johnson- I know I said length helps...and it does, but great putting helps as well and Johnson is masterful on the greens most of the time. Kind of darkhorse, but past champions at Augusta are always dangerous.

5. Tiger Woods- Big win at Bay Hill should boost confidence and he's got a tremendous track record at the Masters obviously. Still some holes in his game, though, and I think a top-five finish is about the best he'll do next week.

6. John Senden- Quiet guy who has quietly put together a terrific last 12 months. Few people know just how consistently good Senden has been. Don't be shocked to see him somewhere near the top of the leaderboard on the weekend.

7. Justin Rose- Played great on the Flordia Swing. Some putting woes, but otherwise his game is razor sharp right now. Should contend in 3 of 4 majors this year and I give him a 40% chance of winning one of them.

8. K.J. Choi- Have watched him at the Masters for several years now and I have been impressed at how he attacks the course. No reason he can't contend yet again in 2012.

9. Keegan Bradley- Yes, I know it's his first Masters, but this guy has the stuff to maybe win 3-5 majors before his career is over. Has played the course a bunch in preparation and is serious about winning majors.

10. Bubba Watson- Lefties generally do well at Augusta (see Mickelson, Weir), but Bubba tends to pick up double bogeys at the worst of moments, limiting his overall ability to win. A top ten, though, is well within reason.

Players outside of the top ten who have a very legitimate shot at winning: Phil Mickelson, Charl Schwartzel, Luke Donald, Webb Simpson, Hunter Mahan.

Highly ranked players who are off to slow start in 2012, but could catch lightning in a bottle for a week: Adam Scott, Jason Day, Nick Watney, Sergio Garcia, Bo Van Pelt, Martin Kaymer, Robert Karlsson.

Solid, tested players...wouldn't be a shocker if they won: Geoff Ogilvy, Brandt Snedeker, Graeme McDowell, Bill Haas, Francesco Molinari, Robert Garrigus, Peter Hanson, Matt Kuchar, Steve Stricker, Mark Wilson, Martin Laird, Alvaro Quiros, Johnson Wagner.

Guys who have a punchers chance, but would make for a somewhat shocking winner: Angel Cabrera, Fred Couples, Trevor Immelman, David Toms, Sean O'Hair, Lucas Glover, Fredrik Jacobson, Darren Clarke, Thomas Bjorn, Patrick Cantlay, Jason Dufner, Charles Howell III, Ben Crane, Ryo Ishakawa, Paul Lawrie, Rickie Fowler, Bae Sang-Moon, Vijay Singh, Ryan Palmer, Edoardo Molinari, Ross Fisher, Louis Oosthuzien, Paidrig Harrington, Stewart Cink, Y.E. Yang, Thomas Bjorn, Anders Hansen, Gary Woodland, Jonathan Byrd, Aaron Baddeley, Ian Poulter, Paul Casey, K.T. Kim, Jim Furyk, Simon Dyson, M.A. Jimenez, Rory Sabbatini, Kevin Na, Kyle Stanley, G.F. Castano.

Guys who have no real shot at winning from my perspective: Ben Crenshaw, Sandy Lyle, Larry Mize, Mark O'Meara, Bernhard Langer, J.M. Olazabal, Ian Woosnam, Mike Weir, Tom Watson, Craig Stadler, Henrik Stenson, Brendan Steele, Harrison Frazar, Kevin Chappell, Scott Stallings, Chez Reavie, Tim Clark, Scott Verplank, all amateurs not named Patrick Cantlay.

Westwood, McIlroy, and Watson haven't disappointed.

Westwood, McIlroy, and Watson haven't disappointed.

As a lefty player, Phil has always been my favorite golfer. I also love Bubba. However, I will absolutely be rooting for Freddy. How awesome would that be? I just hope he stays within a few shots of the lead heading into Sunday.

Tiger is done. You don't go from T-40 heading into the weekend at the Masters to winning. Has never happened. Won't happen.

Actually the largest comeback in a major is 8. Tiger is 8 back

Back to back birdies for Tiger on 3 and 4. Now 1 over for the tourney, 6 back.

Tiger done.

I have dinero on mickelson rose mahan and Watson who are all still in contention.

Last wager I placed was a coin toss between kj Choi and ohair. Wishing I went ohair at 800-1 lol

Obviously Rory is miles away from Tiger's prime, but there is something similar about it. Tiger would seemingly be playing like shiit yet you would look up and he was amongst he leaders. Then one good round and he gets the win. This is where it seems like Rory is heading.

Or maybe not.... :unsure:

Hats off to Peter Hanson for that awesome run to finish off a 65 and I love the way Oosty strikes the ball but I would say not exactly the Sunday setup most were hoping for. Would have been a little more drama had Freddy hung in there and Rory/Sergio shot well today. Would have been nice to have Westwood a little closer to the lead.

But as a Phil fan, i'll take it. Must burn Tiger to see Phil tear it up today.

Speaking of Tiger, he can get right back in it with a 56 tomorrow.

Has a golfer with a gayish Hanson lisp ever won a major before? :dunno:

awww he seems like a good guy :dunno:

awww he seems like a good guy :dunno:

Just because he is clearly gay doesn't mean I think he is a bad guy. Why do you have to be an ass and make such assumptions? :angry:

Just because he is clearly gay doesn't mean I think he is a bad guy. Why do you have to be an ass and make such assumptions? :angry:

:lol:

I liked the finish by Hansen and Phil. Wow. What a day! I'm a lefty and love Phil. That flop shot at 15 was one of the best I have ever seen. He took a full swing and hit that thing sky high. If you didn't see it, I suggest that you take a look. A thing of beauty.