Sign in to follow this  
shorepatrol

Squats and Deadlifts

I don't do them anymore.. injury to my L1 in 2016 scared the sh!t out of me...

I have been thinking lately of reincorporating them.. light weights.. nothing over 225 for either.. just many sets.

I also injured my back lifting weights. As I was sidelined for a couple months, it made me rethink the whole point of working out. Also gave me time to reconsider my career and life's priorities, so I guess injury ain't all bad?

• Like 1

You didn't say that! You can't move the goalposts now mother-humper!

What goalposts did I move? You called me a liar, I proved you wrong. Lick your wounds and move on. :thumbsup:

I do zero legwork at all. I jog several days a week and on my off days I go for a 2-3 mile walk. This is probably why I have chicken legs.

you should try jogging 8 days a week instead of just several

i guess my biggest question, to those of you doing deadlifts specifically, would be are you in really good shape? do you eat healthy, do a lot of cardio, play sports, lots of stretching, regular weight lifting, and deadlifts are simply something you enjoy as part of a regular workout routine?

or are you the middle aged guy who looks kind of slobby and generally out of shape but doing certain heavy weight lifting at the gym makes you feel good/proud .... not sure the word im looking for.

basically, are you just trying to be.... or appear to be strong but not really in good shape? (and im fine with being in good shape for health reasons or just to look good for your wife or the wife next door)

for example there are guys I know who do crossfit but im pretty sure it should be called cross-unfit. "gotta do my burpees" so burpee is a new drink at 7-11 right? <_<

you should try jogging 8 days a week instead of just several

Why?

I like gentle jerks, then clean. :dunno:

I used to be the same way. As you age though, you need a little bit more to get the same results.

Why?

:doh: nevermind.

i just always find it humorous when people say they do things "several" days a week. Instead of just saying they do it every day or almost every day.

just a weird pet peeve of mine i guess.

i guess my biggest question, to those of you doing deadlifts specifically, would be are you in really good shape? do you eat healthy, do a lot of cardio, play sports, lots of stretching, regular weight lifting, and deadlifts are simply something you enjoy as part of a regular workout routine?

or are you the middle aged guy who looks kind of slobby and generally out of shape but doing certain heavy weight lifting at the gym makes you feel good/proud .... not sure the word im looking for.

basically, are you just trying to be.... or appear to be strong but not really in good shape? (and im fine with being in good shape for health reasons or just to look good for your wife or the wife next door)

for example there are guys I know who do crossfit but im pretty sure it should be called cross-unfit. "gotta do my burpees" so burpee is a new drink at 7-11 right? <_<

This post makes virtually no sense to me on many levels, but I'll try to answer as best I can. My gym does strength / cardio on M-W-F, and HIIT on T-Th-Sa. The strength / cardio days tend to go on 6 week cycles with a different exercise each day (but maintained throughout the cycle, e.g. Friday will be deadlifts for the entire 6 weeks). Other lifts include variations of cleans, squats, bench, push press/jerk. The first day of the cycle tends to be higher reps (say 6-8), and by the end it is closer to (and sometimes) a max. Maybe 5-6 sets. I think this is a Rippetoe-like thing but I'm not sure. Also, the cardio portion is a 15-ish minute EMOM or AMRAP, sometimes with partners and typically including the strength component. Stretching is part of every class.

I'm 5'11 175, have never been able to bulk and don't plan to now. I'm trying to stay in shape, and it doesn't hurt to look good for my wife (as many of you already know).

I've already outlined the benefits of deadlifts; what exactly is the point of your post? :dunno:

This post makes virtually no sense to me on many levels, but I'll try to answer as best I can. My gym does strength / cardio on M-W-F, and HIIT on T-Th-Sa. The strength / cardio days tend to go on 6 week cycles with a different exercise each day (but maintained throughout the cycle, e.g. Friday will be deadlifts for the entire 6 weeks). Other lifts include variations of cleans, squats, bench, push press/jerk. The first day of the cycle tends to be higher reps (say 6-8), and by the end it is closer to (and sometimes) a max. Maybe 5-6 sets. I think this is a Rippetoe-like thing but I'm not sure. Also, the cardio portion is a 15-ish minute EMOM or AMRAP, sometimes with partners and typically including the strength component. Stretching is part of every class.

I'm 5'11 175, have never been able to bulk and don't plan to now. I'm trying to stay in shape, and it doesn't hurt to look good for my wife (as many of you already know).

I've already outlined the benefits of deadlifts; what exactly is the point of your post? :dunno:

you usually come off as are an intelligent guy. One of my favorite posters actually. I am surprised by your lack of understanding of my post. Might have been my wording, so i'll try a different explanation.

I am not knocking deadlifts (they just happened to be kind of the topic of convo) or any specific workout. I was asking if the guys on the board who do deadlifts actually have a steady exercise/gym/eating/fitness routine or if they are the types of guys who go to the gym 2-3 days a week and lift heavy weights or jump on board with a fad (like crossfit) and don't do it regularly or otherwise live a healthy lifestyle. You know the guys i'm talking about. The ones who can bench press a ton but can't see their diick over their beer guts.

Obviously no one at the geek club is going to admit to being one of those guys though :lol:

Pen,

I would be curious to hear your opinion on Sully's approach to aging. He's a legit MD/Physiologist and doesnt just play one on a lightly trafficked message board. Hes also got alot of good stuff at startingstrength.com

I listened to the whole video. Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing.

you usually come off as an intelligent guy, im surprised by your lack of understanding of my post. Might have been my wording, so i'll try a different explanation.

I am not knocking deadlifts (they just happened to be kind of the topic of convo) or any specific workout. I was asking if the guys on the board who do deadlifts actually have a steady exercise/gym/eating/fitness routine or if they are the types of guys who go to the gym 2-3 days a week and lift heavy weights or jump on board with a fad (like crossfit) and don't do it regularly or otherwise live a healthy lifestyle. You know the guys i'm talking about. The ones who can bench press a ton but can't see their diick over their beer guts.

Obviously no one at the geek club is going to admit to being one of those guys though :lol:

Well, your post was worded like crap. I'm 50, try to make it to the gym 2-3 times/week but I'm often busy, hike on the largest municipal park in the US, otherwise live a pretty healthy lifestyle, can see my d1ck and wish it was bigger than 10" flaccid like any other geek (although I could use to lose 5-10 pounds for my frame size).

Anyway... I know the type. Guys who stand around talking about their 4 TDs for Polk High back in the day. I can get in a full 30 minute workout and they've done maybe two sets of something. :D

you usually come off as are an intelligent guy. One of my favorite posters actually. I am surprised by your lack of understanding of my post. Might have been my wording, so i'll try a different explanation.

Ive lifted barbells regularly for about 7 years. I had hurt my shoulder at work from a fall, and never could rehab it properly until I started doing overhead press. A guy at the firehouse owned a Crossfit gym, and he got me hooked up on Wendlers 5/3/1. Ive been hooked lifting since.

I usually lift 2 days a week (bench&squat one day and deadlift&press other day). Im outta the gym in 50 mins. I dont really do cardio, just lunges and push ups to complement the barbell work.

I made great progress the first 5 years and life has pretty much taken over the last two years. I still make progress, but its slow. But thats ok. I build my workouts around life and not the other way around. Im 42 185 and about 15% bf year round. My estimated 1RM is 420 on deadlift. I eat about 125 grams of protein a day and fill in the rest with mostly veggies and fats. I eat the occasional pizza and burgers and beers because I can.

The self belay stuff is safe, but it's much more fun to have a partner. As long as they aren't terrified of heights, many chicks like climbing - they have lower centers of gravity and naturally use their legs better than guys. You should try it out with your fiancee, though she'd need to anchor herself to belay you safely given the weight disparity.

Or you can just try bouldering, low elevation climbing which does not require ropes. Personally, I find this less enjoyable and the moves tend to be more dynamic (read: potential for injury).

Yeah, we had that incident once at the gym. The guy belaying me was close to 100 lbs lighter than me. When I fell, he came off the ground. Fortunately, another guy in our group grabbed the harness and averted disaster.

Wow kid... judgey much? Who gives a fock how long or often someone works out. At least they are doing something. I know guys who are exactly like you described and a good friend who is in the SF who will destroy any workout you put in front of him, world class. To each his own. Unless you're a total gym bro (@sshole) the older you get the less you worry about other people and concentrate on your own life, mind, body... etc. Who gives a fock?

Yeah, we had that incident once at the gym. The guy belaying me was close to 100 lbs lighter than me. When I fell, he came off the ground. Fortunately, another guy in our group grabbed the harness and averted disaster.

My wife worked for a guy that fell in an indoor climbing gym. I don't know the specifics but he got a serious concussion. This was several years ago and he has never been the same since; they eventually moved him out of management and into some sort of part-time individual contributor role. It kinda seems like they don't quite know if they can legally let him go, because by all accounts he doesn't contribute much. :dunno:

Wow kid... judgey much? Who gives a fock how long or often someone works out. At least they are doing something. I know guys who are exactly like you described and a good friend who is in the SF who will destroy any workout you put in front of him, world class. To each his own. Unless you're a total gym bro (@sshole) the older you get the less you worry about other people and concentrate on your own life, mind, body... etc. Who gives a fock?

angry much? (I can kind of tell by your default to calling me kid, which you always defaulted to in your back and forths with 90sBaby... in which I generally agreed with you)...... I'm not a gym bro, if thats what you were thinking. Quite the opposite. I run, play basketball, do pushups/crunches/pullups and light weights at home. I'll swim if i get a chance.

I think you also misunderstood the point of my post. I don't care at all how often someone works out as long as they are not the ones trying to dictate what type of working out is right or wrong or acting like a know it all.

As far as who gives a fock? I agree that you shouldn't care what anyone thinks about how you choose to exercise..... but since there is a thread going on, with people discussing stuff, it seems like some people may give a fock? :dunno:

Why are dead lifts treated in this thread as some kind of strange or exotic lift?

they are not. although I have found that talking about deadlifts or mentioning in casual conversation that you deadlift has become extremely trendy among people in my age range.

angry much? (I can kind of tell by your default to calling me kid, which you always defaulted to in your back and forths with 90sBaby... in which I generally agreed with you)...... I'm not a gym bro, if thats what you were thinking. Quite the opposite. I run, play basketball, do pushups/crunches/pullups and light weights at home. I'll swim if i get a chance.

I think you also misunderstood the point of my post. I don't care at all how often someone works out as long as they are not the ones trying to dictate what type of working out is right or wrong or acting like a know it all.

As far as who gives a fock? I agree that you shouldn't care what anyone thinks about how you choose to exercise..... but since there is a thread going on, with people discussing stuff, it seems like some people may give a fock? :dunno:

Oh.. well alright then... carry on. My bad.. :)

I ski harder runs. Aside from moguls, I don't think most of what I do is particularly hard on the knees. Per session, I'll concede the lateral forces may be worse than lifting weights, but I ski only three weeks a year, so the cumulative abuse is likely far less.

I can't find anything comparing skiing to power lifting, but here is a study of athletes and risk of knee arthritis: http://natajournals.org/doi/pdf/10.4085/1062-6050-50.2.08?code=nata-site

Granted, none of us are training at an elite level, but I still believe the repetitive stress of regular power lifting is less than ideal for middle aged dudes. I'm probably biased due to the damage I caused trying to lift too much in my 20's and 30's, though admittedly my bad joints are all in my upper body - shoulders, elbows and low back.

You do realize that the forces from skiing are equivalent to additional body weight in lifting, right? I would argue that the combination of those forces, and them including unpredictable lateral forces, and you only doing it 3 times/year, would present a much higher incidence of isolated injury than squatting. :dunno:

You do realize that the forces from skiing are equivalent to additional body weight in lifting, right? I would argue that the combination of those forces, and them including unpredictable lateral forces, and you only doing it 3 times/year, would present a much higher incidence of isolated injury than squatting. :dunno:

I havent done the calculations to determine how much force skiing exerts on the kness, and neither have you, so stop being an a$$. But I know the force isnt applied through the entire range of motion like deep squats. And no, I dont think three weeks of skiing is nearly as much trauma as power lifting year round, even when you factor in the lateral forces and your assumption that my lack of conditioning outside the ski season leaves me vulnerable to injury.

What did you think of the article I linked, which concluded elite power lifters had the highest risk of knee arthritis of alll the tested athletes?

Also, can you remind me how you injured your foot?

Pen - How do you feel about playing tennis?

Love it.

Seriously though, if you play hard its pretty rough on the knees and shoulders. I also get both tennis and golfers elbow, so I dont play often. With proper form at a leisurely pace it probably is OK. The sport I see middle aged dudes injuring themselves the most is basketball, followed by HIIT stuff like CrossFit.

Love it.

I do too, but tore my ACL playing last September. Recovery from ACL surgery focking sucks. I'm 5 weeks post op today.

I'd like to play again, but I'm going to have to feel really good about my knee.

I do too, but tore my ACL playing last September. Recovery from ACL surgery focking sucks. I'm 5 weeks post op today.

I'd like to play again, but I'm going to have to feel really good about my knee.

Yeah, I really think old guys should avoid explosive movements/rapid changes in direction. Despite my bickering with Jerry, I agree skiing is the activity I take part in with highest potential for injury. Ive toned it down a lot in the last few years, avoiding jumps and bigger moguls, and can imagine transitioning to only groomers in the near future. Because you use them all the time, leg injuries are much suckier than those involving the upper extremities.

I wish I was a decent swimmer, as swimming is a great low risk way to maintain fitness.

Yeah, I really think old guys should avoid explosive movements/rapid changes in direction. Despite my bickering with Jerry, I agree skiing is the activity I take part in with highest potential for injury. I’ve toned it down a lot in the last few years, avoiding jumps and bigger moguls, and can imagine transitioning to only groomers in the near future.

I'm in my 30's and was playing in the highest league at my club. Was my own fault for chasing down a ball I had no business going after...but I've done that thousands of times. Just landed wrong I guess.

I also wakeboard, but may transition to wakesurfing instead.

I havent done the calculations to determine how much force skiing exerts on the kness, and neither have you, so stop being an a$$. But I know the force isnt applied through the entire range of motion like deep squats. And no, I dont think three weeks of skiing is nearly as much trauma as power lifting year round, even when you factor in the lateral forces and your assumption that my lack of conditioning outside the ski season leaves me vulnerable to injury.

What did you think of the article I linked, which concluded elite power lifters had the highest risk of knee arthritis of alll the tested athletes?

Also, can you remind me how you injured your foot?

I'm not being an ass by pointing out physics.

I haven't had the chance to read your article but it wouldn't surprise me that people pushing the limits of human physiology would be prone to such injuries.

I broke my foot the first time in taekwondo. I readily admit that that sport is an injury waiting to happen. Second time was nothing high impact, which is why I'm concerned about the hiking/climbing.

As a bonus, swimming seems like the most boring thing ever. And it hurts my knees, perhaps because of the torsion.

I'm not being an ass by pointing out physics.

I haven't had the chance to read your article but it wouldn't surprise me that people pushing the limits of human physiology would be prone to such injuries.

I broke my foot the first time in taekwondo. I readily admit that that sport is an injury waiting to happen. Second time was nothing high impact, which is why I'm concerned about the hiking/climbing.

As a bonus, swimming seems like the most boring thing ever. And it hurts my knees, perhaps because of the torsion.

Youre being an ass because you have no idea how the actual forces on the knee for skiing compare to power lifting. And despite being able to quickly conclude skiing a few weeks is worse than regular power lifting, you cant extrapolate data from elite athletes showing power lifting is hard on the body? I guess it makes sense in light of your inability to learn from your mistakes :dunno:

Youre being an ass because you have no idea how the actual forces on the knee for skiing compare to power lifting. And despite being able to quickly conclude skiing a few weeks is worse than regular power lifting, you cant extrapolate data from elite athletes showing power lifting is hard on the body? I guess it makes sense in light of your inability to learn from your mistakes :dunno:

Youre getting to be as bad as sho.

I stated that squats were a natural function of the knees. You replied yeah, but not with additional weight. Skiing has the effect of adding additional weight (force). Fact. Physics.

Doing a regular routine to build muscle and endurance on a natural function of the knee is safer than skiing a black diamond with unnatural lateral knee forces once every several months. Fact. Physics.

Just stop, this isn't going well for you. :(

I stated that squats were a natural function of the knees. You replied yeah, but not with additional weight. Skiing has the effect of adding additional weight (force). Fact. Physics.

Doing a regular routine to build muscle and endurance on a natural function of the knee is safer than skiing a black diamond with unnatural lateral knee forces once every several months. Fact. Physics.

Just stop, this isn't going well for you. :(

I cant believe you are an engineer...but since you know so much about physics, why dont you quantify the force my knees experience during three weeks of skiing vs. a year of power lifting? And still no comment on the article I linked, which actually determined wear-and-tear amongst trained athletes, with power lifters coming out the worst of all?

I cant believe you are an engineer...but since you know so much about physics, why dont you quantify the force my knees experience during three weeks of skiing vs. a year of power lifting? And still no comment on the article I linked, which actually determined wear-and-tear amongst trained athletes, with power lifters coming out the worst of all?

Are you being intentionally obtuse? I already laid it out, but since your non-engineering mind can't seem to work through it, let me help. You are arguing that the long term cumulative effect on the knee joint of an elite powerlifter is bad. I concede that, as the joint is not designed to lift 600+ pounds. But I do 1/4 of that, so I'm not stressing my joints anywhere near that level. My point is that somebody who occasionally hits black diamonds on the slopes for the week is introducing a much greater acute risk to their knees. Lack of training, fatigue over the week...

Asking to quantify the force your knees experience is remarkably ignorant. There are so many variables, which in an interesting way prove my point, because it is a less predictable movement than say powerlifting.

I've never questioned your being a doctor, in fact I've repeatedly defended it. You are good at finding studies that show elite power lifters have joint problems, congrats. I am good at showing the obvious physics that skiing down black diamonds adds body force in an unpredictable way. We can all get along. :cheers:

Are you being intentionally obtuse? I already laid it out, but since your non-engineering mind can't seem to work through it, let me help. You are arguing that the long term cumulative effect on the knee joint of an elite powerlifter is bad. I concede that, as the joint is not designed to lift 600+ pounds. But I do 1/4 of that, so I'm not stressing my joints anywhere near that level. My point is that somebody who occasionally hits black diamonds on the slopes for the week is introducing a much greater acute risk to their knees. Lack of training, fatigue over the week...

Asking to quantify the force your knees experience is remarkably ignorant. There are so many variables, which in an interesting way prove my point, because it is a less predictable movement than say powerlifting.

I've never questioned your being a doctor, in fact I've repeatedly defended it. You are good at finding studies that show elite power lifters have joint problems, congrats. I am good at showing the obvious physics that skiing down black diamonds adds body force in an unpredictable way. We can all get along. :cheers:

While neither of us know definitively, I’m pointing out there are too many variables to make a blanket statement about my knee risk versus yours. More variables <> greater risk, but it’s reasonable to assume yearlong activity is gonna cause more cumulative wear and tear. As we don’t have studies for everyday Joes skiing and lifting weights, all we can do is extrapolate for groups that have been tested - unfortunately weight lifters don’t fare very well. :(

Yeah, I know, no skiers in that study, and you’re moving the goal posts a bit to include only acute injury. While I may have a higher risk to blow out an ACL the brief time I’m on the slopes, the absolute risk is still low, and I believe your overall more likely to have knee problems chronically.

So do we agree then?

Yeah, I really think old guys should avoid explosive movements/rapid changes in direction. Despite my bickering with Jerry, I agree skiing is the activity I take part in with highest potential for injury. Ive toned it down a lot in the last few years, avoiding jumps and bigger moguls, and can imagine transitioning to only groomers in the near future. Because you use them all the time, leg injuries are much suckier than those involving the upper extremities.

I wish I was a decent swimmer, as swimming is a great low risk way to maintain fitness.

You know a sport that would be killer exercise that Ive always thought looks fun as hell and has virtually zero injury risk?

Water polo. Ive always wanted to try it, but it pretty much doesnt exist in the real world. Need a special pool too.

You know a sport that would be killer exercise that Ive always thought looks fun as hell and has virtually zero injury risk?

Water polo. Ive always wanted to try it, but it pretty much doesnt exist in the real world. Need a special pool too.

Plus, who are you going to find to scoop up all the horse crap?

If you have access to it, cross country skiing and or snowshoeing will absolutely kick your ass. But it's a great exercise. Great way to get outside and see amazing views and go places the literally nobody else can go.

I've been into synchronized swimming for a while now. I'm still waiting for somebody to respond to my Craigslist ad so I can have a partner. But until then, there's lots I can do to prepare myself for that.

For example, I'm not really a strong swimmer, so I stay in the shallow end, but every week I try to go out just a few tippy toes longer and deeper.

And, I kind of have this thing about putting my head under water. I think something happened to me when I was a little kid. But I get real severe anxiety. Still, there's a lot I can do in the shallow end just working on basic dance moves and body movements.

I mean, if this was an actual competition? Sure, I'd take off my floaties. But there's a lot of times when it's just me out there. Or just me and the seniors water aerobics. And I don't know that theyre strong enough to really help me out if I, you know, were to get a cramp or something. So, the floaties are just ya know, being responsible and stuff.