Sign in to follow this  
aaaa

Selling High on CJ Spiller?

I have been on the spiller bandwagon for a while now. This is the situation i have been waiting for. He did this against the jets dude. They have a very good run d yet spiller gained a total of 194 yarda and a 56 yard td. He is electric. What makes you think this is a fluke for him? He showed us last year what he was capable of. Fjax is 31 and probably has a bad nough i jury to keep him out for a few weeks. When You have a guy like spiller on your team you utilize his insane skill. You dont throw the 31 year old inferior rb out there and give him the majority of the touches, especially after a knee sprain.

Ya know what. I hope you do trade him for the great antonio brown and want to punch yourself in the face infront of your wife and kids when spiller is tearing up the league.

Oh.my.god.can't.stop.laughing

100% correct though. I'm holding FANTASY GOLD. Ain't selling it!

Haha, I'm with you man. I love CJ Spiller and targeted him in every draft because I knew he is a special talent who was very close to getting big opportunity, which is an obvious sign of a breakout. I didn't think his performances were flukes last year when FJax went down, nor did I ever say that. I merely said that when FJax comes back, his value has to come down. How could it not? So it would be prudent to swap him for equal value now before the stock lowers, that's all Im suggesting. If Jackson's out for the season of course that doesnt apply. Not a knock on Spiller at all, Im a big fan of his talent.

And would you be as adamant about your stance if you had 3 RBs on your roster that would be must starts every week and Spiller wouldnt see your lineup anyway? Not a lot of people in that boat but we're out there.

Having 4 good rbs is a problem you want to have going into the playoffs. Chances are one will get injured and by you trying to score the perfect lineup in the first few weeks your crushing your depth.

Having 4 good rbs is a problem you want to have going into the playoffs. Chances are one will get injured and by you trying to score the perfect lineup in the first few weeks your crushing your depth.

This.

On one of my teams i have Foster, Murray, Lynch, BJGE and Ryan Williams. Seems pretty awesome, no? I toyed with the idea all preseason of trading one for a WR. Week 1, and im two Gameday Decisions away from starting Murray, BJGE and Williams. Not only am i not going to trade any of them now, im looking to upgrade Williams. I want 5 starting RBs. And then i'll want 6.

That is a very good reason why Spiller is overrated and you should sell high on him. Thank you for contributing.

Nobody's arguing Spiller's overrated. Fact is his value is pretty high right now. It either goes way higher, or it comes down with news that FJax will return at some point this year and Gailey saying something to the effect that both backs will get touches. You can argue what Buffalo should do with Spiller, but the issue is trying to figure out what they will do.

If I were loaded at RB and soft at WR, I would swing a deal asap. If I thought my team was pretty solid, I'd hold and see what happens. If I could fleece an owner and get a WR1, I'd do that deal regardless.

I don't think it's a bad idea to think through all your options in this situation. :dunno:

As for Serpent, what does that mean? I don't get that at all. You should trade him for Decker or Brown now because in a few weeks you will value him too much to trade for one of those guys? That sounds like getting the most out of your invesment...

If you want to move him at all costs, like OP does, because he thinks Spiller's value is at its highest now, you have to trade for players that were mentioned because it's doubtful he can fetch much more. Unless it's to the people in this thread, but even then they probably won't actually trade much for him, or they already have him.

If he does pan out like you want him to, then his trade value goes up, so you can demand more, but then you won't want to let him go for anything less than top value, which again you'll have trouble getting because nobody is going to just trade one of their foundations to maybe fill a hole and just create another one.

So again the only way a trade really works is if it's two mid-level guys that fill some sort of depth issue (i.e., Team 1 has 2 WR2s and Team 2 has 2 RB2s, so they swap one for one) or someone takes a hit on perceived value (i.e., one person has a player projected at RB1 the rest of the way, and trades him for another player's RB1, but both guys actually consider their own players the RB2s, this is rare).

But nobody is likely to trade a Megatron for an Arian Foster, even if the point totals were exactly the same you are not going to replace that production that you give away at the position.

The people here that are insisting Spiller is going to be a top 5 RB but that they can turn around and trade him for top 5 talent at other positions are not thinking things through imo. Either Spiller isn't going to be a top 5 in their eyes or they're going to have to trade for less, but even then who trades a top 5 RB away.

Nobody's arguing Spiller's overrated. Fact is his value is pretty high right now. It either goes way higher, or it comes down with news that FJax will return at some point this year and Gailey saying something to the effect that both backs will get touches. You can argue what Buffalo should do with Spiller, but the issue is trying to figure out what they will do.

If I were loaded at RB and soft at WR, I would swing a deal asap. If I thought my team was pretty solid, I'd hold and see what happens. If I could fleece an owner and get a WR1, I'd do that deal regardless.

I don't think it's a bad idea to think through all your options in this situation. :dunno:

I dont think anyone is saying if you can get someone to overpay to not trade Spiller. Or if you can use your RB surplus to fill a hole at another position. But the OP was thinking of trading Spiller for Decker or A Brown. THAT is pure craziness.

As an example, i made a trade offer in one of my leagues, Eric Decker for CJ Spiller straight up. As expected the trade was rejected. I sent the other owner a message and asked if he even considered the trade. His answer was (and i copied and pasted this for greater effect)

Not even for 1 sec lol.

That was my only point. If you own CJ Spiller, a RB that has proven over the last season + that he can be a difference maker when given a starters share of touches, and you trade him for a WR that averaged 7 pts a game in standard scoring formats last season, regardless of how much better his QB situation is this year, you are clinically insane.

I dont think anyone is saying if you can get someone to overpay to not trade Spiller. Or if you can use your RB surplus to fill a hole at another position. But the OP was thinking of trading Spiller for Decker or A Brown. THAT is pure craziness.

As an example, i made a trade offer in one of my leagues, Eric Decker for CJ Spiller straight up. As expected the trade was rejected. I sent the other owner a message and asked if he even considered the trade. His answer was (and i copied and pasted this for greater effect)

Not even for 1 sec lol.

That was my only point

I'd personally aim a littler higher too. But there seems to be this notion that Spiller is a lottery ticket and the mere thought of cashing in is ridiculous. I think you explore all your options especially considering FJax could return sometime this year and ruin whatever value Spiller now has.

I'd personally aim a littler higher too. But there seems to be this notion that Spiller is a lottery ticket and the mere thought of cashing in is ridiculous. I think you explore all your options especially considering FJax could return sometime this year and ruin whatever value Spiller now has.

Its not ridiculous. But IMO it would have to be a big overpay. Three down RBs are the rarest of the rare. I would be much more willing to gamble trading away an Ogeltree or Hill, WRs are just so mush easier to come by. Even in my big 9 person bench 12 teamer, there are viable starting WRs on the WW. There are literally only a half dozen RBs that are even active on an NFL roster on the that same WW. To me RBs are a precious resource that you can never have enough of. And because RBs are so scarce, even leaving Spiller on my bench means some other owner is being forced to start Donald Brown or Beanie Wells.

Yes for the right price I would trade Spiller. I never put a Do Not Trade on any of my guys. But it better be a lot in return. By number 1 WR I am not trading for Nicks or AJ Green or someone around that tier. I want a big time guy like Julio or Calvin. And I don't see those owners giving them up so I am probably not trading Spiller. If I am hurting at QB and I get offered a top tier QB then I can see that situation happening.

I am offering the Fjax owner in my league Spiller + Big Ben for his Aaron Rodgers. I already have Foster and Shady Mccoy so I wont need rbs and I have Julio and Percy as my wrs. Lets see what happens.

I am offering the Fjax owner in my league Spiller + Big Ben for his Aaron Rodgers. I already have Foster and Shady Mccoy so I wont need rbs and I have Julio and Percy as my wrs. Lets see what happens.

In my big money league I did offer the Spiller owner Steven Jackson but may have to throw RG3 in there to spice up the deal. His QB are Rivers and Big Ben, meh.

I'd punch right in your face, in front of your wife and kids, if you sent that trade to me. :nono:

I'd punch right in your face, in front of your wife and kids, if you sent that trade to me. :nono:

Never know what'll happen. Looking at his team he should be desperate. I'm not holding my breath though.

So if Spiller is so good, why hadn't he already gotten a 50-50 split or better with a RB you are all calling "dead" or "done"? Last year Spiller averaged about 9 touches per game, compared to 21 touches per for FJax while he was playing. And unless FJax is done for the year Spiller will be back in a secondary role around Week 6.

And SJax plus RGIII for Spiller? I think the CJ love is a bit overdone. :bandana:

Oh yeah....if I were him I'd definitely want that action! Going from Rodgers to Big Ben with the hope that Spiller will put you over the top is a steal for that other guy!

Here's my reaction to Big Ben as my fantasy QB....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

So if Spiller is so good, why hadn't he already gotten a 50-50 split or better with a RB you are all calling "dead" or "done"? Last year Spiller averaged about 9 touches per game, compared to 21 touches per for FJax while he was playing. And unless FJax is done for the year Spiller will be back in a secondary role around Week 6.

And SJax plus RGIII for Spiller? I think the CJ love is a bit overdone. :bandana: <--- poser

I try not to be too reactive to people who don't know what they are talking about but I just can't help myself here. Spiller as a rookie struggled. He did not produce much on a bad Bills team as everyone seems to get rookie fever when there is a talented RB to come into the league. Spiller's second year, last year, Fred Jackson takes off like a bat out of hell and doesn't look back until he is injured. I wouldn't have wanted to eat into Jackson's touches either while he was producing like he did. But Jackson is lost for the year and now they have to turn to Spiller. His production was very close to what Jackson did on a per game level, and it was still only his second year.

Now we are into Spiller's third year. Jackson goes out early against the Jets. Spiller proceeds to tear up the Jets defense who looked very good and is a very good run defense. If Spiller is so overrated and the hype is too much why did he tear up the Jets so bad? Why did he look like a top back last year when Jackson was out? Did you know that Spiller runs a 4.27 40 yard dash with very good agility measurements? If you did know all of that and you still think Spiller is overrated then you belong in the "I have no focking clue" category of individuals. Tell me why he isn't as good as some of us think? Just because he didn't get a ton of opportunities until late last year?

RG3 is not the second coming of Newton. I think he will eventually be a better QB but I don't think he will do what Newton did last year. I also already have Stafford so it's not like I need a QB tearing it up on my bench even if that is what RG3 does this year. I think now is the time to trade RG3 when his value is at its peak and to grab Spiller from the people who think it is a fluke.

"why hadn't he already gotten a 50-50 split or better with a RB you are all calling "dead" or "done"?" This is what you said and I am quoting it for the stupidity that it must have taken to think this up. Ok so by 50-50 split do you mean how Spiller got 14 carries while Jackson got 6? Because that split is definitely in Spiller's favor by more than 2-1. Also he averaged 12.21 yards per touch. Doesn't that seem a bit crazy to you? Like maybe it would take some one very talented to do that against a good Jets defense? So yeah you bring nothing to your side of the argument. :bandana:

I would love to see the draft results that netted you Foster, McCoy and Julio.

I try not to be too reactive to people who don't know what they are talking about but I just can't help myself here. Spiller as a rookie struggled. He did not produce much on a bad Bills team as everyone seems to get rookie fever when there is a talented RB to come into the league. Spiller's second year, last year, Fred Jackson takes off like a bat out of hell and doesn't look back until he is injured. I wouldn't have wanted to eat into Jackson's touches either while he was producing like he did. But Jackson is lost for the year and now they have to turn to Spiller. His production was very close to what Jackson did on a per game level, and it was still only his second year.

Now we are into Spiller's third year. Jackson goes out early against the Jets. Spiller proceeds to tear up the Jets defense who looked very good and is a very good run defense. If Spiller is so overrated and the hype is too much why did he tear up the Jets so bad? Why did he look like a top back last year when Jackson was out? Did you know that Spiller runs a 4.27 40 yard dash with very good agility measurements? If you did know all of that and you still think Spiller is overrated then you belong in the "I have no focking clue" category of individuals. Tell me why he isn't as good as some of us think? Just because he didn't get a ton of opportunities until late last year?

RG3 is not the second coming of Newton. I think he will eventually be a better QB but I don't think he will do what Newton did last year. I also already have Stafford so it's not like I need a QB tearing it up on my bench even if that is what RG3 does this year. I think now is the time to trade RG3 when his value is at its peak and to grab Spiller from the people who think it is a fluke.

"why hadn't he already gotten a 50-50 split or better with a RB you are all calling "dead" or "done"?" This is what you said and I am quoting it for the stupidity that it must have taken to think this up. Ok so by 50-50 split do you mean how Spiller got 14 carries while Jackson got 6? Because that split is definitely in Spiller's favor by more than 2-1. Also he averaged 12.21 yards per touch. Doesn't that seem a bit crazy to you? Like maybe it would take some one very talented to do that against a good Jets defense? So yeah you bring nothing to your side of the argument. :bandana:

"50-50" split obviously implies while both guys are available, hard to FJax to get any carries when he's out with a bad knee. I was talking about 2011. I was actually being generous in my last post - if you look at the weeks before FJax got hurt, Spiller averaged 3.6 touches per game.

If FJax is out for the year, Spiller will be a useful RB. But based on the current news, there is no reason why Spiller won't be back as a fill-in by Week 6 or 7. I don't care about his 40 time or how great you think he is - the fact is when FJax is healthy Spiller rides the bench. And the Bills have given no indication this is going to change soon - on Sunday FJax had 6 touches when he got hurt, compared to 1 touch to Spiller at that time.

Man, you're really defensive about CJ Spiller. Are you always like this, or just when someone is talking about your cousin?

Man, you're really defensive about CJ Spiller. Are you always like this, or just when someone is talking about your cousin?

You should have seen the thread on John Starks. Man someone should bump that, I can't remember the people that were insisting Starks was awesome and should be a high draft pick, but I was laughing my ass off the entire time. I registered only recently but it's probably better I wasn't in that thread.

You should have seen the thread on John Starks. Man someone should bump that, I can't remember the people that were insisting Starks was awesome and should be a high draft pick, but I was laughing my ass off the entire time. I registered only recently but it's probably better I wasn't in that thread.

John Starks? From the Knicks? :shocking:

Because his talent is staring everyone in the face and yet some refuse to consider it. The Bills belong in here too as they don't have the slightest clue how to use their talent. But after Jackson's stint on the sideline Spiller should show them that he should be getting the majority of the carries if they want a chance at keeping up in their division. 31 years old is over the hill for a RB. I don't care if he has only had a limited amount of touches his entire career. A guy who is 31 doesn't recover the same as a guy who is 26.

Why didn't Jamaal Charles get the lions share of the touches when Thomas Jones was in town? Who knows? That doesn't mean he wasn't good enough to have on your team because the staff wanted to force feed carries to the inferior RB.

Think of it like this. I am telling you to hold onto him if you have him or trade for him if the price isn't too high. If someone offers you a deal you can't refuse for Spiller then I can't argue against taking it. This is one of those moments that could solidify your entire season though. That RB that comes out of nowhere and turns into a top 5 RB. He is the reason I have been advocating waiting on a RB. I have gotten so much sh!t from so many people about the teams that I was considering because I wasn't drafting RB early enough. Spiller was the RB I was waiting on and drafting in almost every mock that I had, and 3/5 actual leagues. Now he is showing what he is capable of and some are still dismissive. A guy just totaled 194 yards a TD and 12.21 average per touch. Out of all the guys who end up coming out of nowhere to become studs doesn't this seem like that familiar situation that always has some people FUing themselves for not getting a piece when they could have?

Because his talent is staring everyone in the face and yet some refuse to consider it. The Bills belong in here too as they don't have the slightest clue how to use their talent. But after Jackson's stint on the sideline Spiller should show them that he should be getting the majority of the carries if they want a chance at keeping up in their division. 31 years old is over the hill for a RB. I don't care if he has only had a limited amount of touches his entire career. A guy who is 31 doesn't recover the same as a guy who is 26.

Why didn't Jamaal Charles get the lions share of the touches when Thomas Jones was in town? Who knows? That doesn't mean he wasn't good enough to have on your team because the staff wanted to force feed carries to the inferior RB.

Think of it like this. I am telling you to hold onto him if you have him or trade for him if the price isn't too high. If someone offers you a deal you can't refuse for Spiller then I can't argue against taking it. This is one of those moments that could solidify your entire season though. That RB that comes out of nowhere and turns into a top 5 RB. He is the reason I have been advocating waiting on a RB. I have gotten so much sh!t from so many people about the teams that I was considering because I wasn't drafting RB early enough. Spiller was the RB I was waiting on and drafting in almost every mock that I had, and 3/5 actual leagues. Now he is showing what he is capable of and some are still dismissive. A guy just totaled 194 yards a TD and 12.21 average per touch. Out of all the guys who end up coming out of nowhere to become studs doesn't this seem like that familiar situation that always has some people FUing themselves for not getting a piece when they could have?

FBN - Our boy is a stud. Some of these guy will get it, some won't. We'll be the one's laughing and counting the $$$ at the end of the season.

FBN - Our boy is a stud. Some of these guy will get it, some won't. We'll be the one's laughing and counting the $$$ at the end of the season.

:cheers:

The more and more I think about it, this is what is convincing me to hang onto Spiller most. I was bothered by the idea that he could score major points that never counted since he'd be on my bench, when I could have used him to upgrade my thin WR corps. But you're right that I could be crushing my depth by trying to perfect the lineup too early in the season. Good point.

I'm the guy who had Spiller on his bench behind 3 other capable RB's and is willing to listen to guys who want Spiller, but in no hurry to move him. :cheers:

That's the approach I'm taking as well. In fact, I think I'm going to actively shop Steven Jackson or DeMarco Murray before I send proposals including Spiller.

Spiller for Larry Fitzgerald?

Ya or nay?

I would say nay. I do like that Kolb will be the QB as I think he is far better than Skelton. But that O line is bad and Kolb has a history of getting injured. If Kolb goes down you are screwed with Fitz. I do like Fitz though and wish he didn't sign that stupid extension with the team. They are just so bad around him. Why the hell was Fitz rarely being looked at as the primary read each play?

Spiller for Larry Fitzgerald?

As a team with great RB depth (DMc/Murray/SJax/Spiller/Morris/Hillis) and very little WR depth (Harvin, Dez, Titus Young, Kendall Wright), I think I would have to do it, but I'd be trying to arrange a package that didn't involve Spiller first.

I would say nay. I do like that Kolb will be the QB as I think he is far better than Skelton. But that O line is bad and Kolb has a history of getting injured. If Kolb goes down you are screwed with Fitz. I do like Fitz though and wish he didn't sign that stupid extension with the team. They are just so bad around him. Why the hell was Fitz rarely being looked at as the primary read each play?

I dont really need Fitz anyhow... I have Cruz, Harvin, Decker and Austin... He would be an upgrade for sure, but not a necessity... Stacked at RB though, with DMC, Forte, Spiller and Martin...

The only place I'm weak is at TE with Cook/Olsen...

I dont really need Fitz anyhow... I have Cruz, Harvin, Decker and Austin... He would be an upgrade for sure, but not a necessity... Stacked at RB though, with DMC, Forte, Spiller and Martin...

The only place I'm weak is at TE with Cook/Olsen...

I would maybe look to move a RB for a top TE. If possible. Maybe combine Austin with martin for a top TE. Or maybe start off with a little bit less of an offer. You should be set if you get either Graham or Gronk.

I would maybe look to move a RB for a top TE. If possible. Maybe combine Austin with martin for a top TE. Or maybe start off with a little bit less of an offer. You should be set if you get either Graham or Gronk.

I like that, I also think he could make a sneaky good deal with the Hernandez owner to upgrade his TE without giving up Spiller.

I like that, I also think he could make a sneaky good deal with the Hernandez owner to upgrade his TE without giving up Spiller.

That's my goal... As the Hernandez owner is the weakest owner in the league... everyone else is pretty savvy...

Dont think I could get Graham or Gronk at this point...

You don't need to convince me of anything. I've offered three trades to the Spiller owner because I think this is the lowest his value will be for possibly years to come. I'm in a keeper league and I think he will be a franchise back that I would keep for the foreseeable future. At least right now, there's a possibility of convincing the other owner that it was a fluke or FJax will kill his value. I was merely confused why you were so belligerent over someone questioning the almighty CJ Spiller, that's all.

That's the approach I'm taking as well. In fact, I think I'm going to actively shop Steven Jackson or DeMarco Murray before I send proposals including Spiller.

This is my approach as well, but honestly I'm not interested in trading a RB at all.

I'm sitting on McCoy, Forte, Spiller, and R. Bush but I'm a little gunshy on shopping any of them for now. I think it's probably better to hold off and see what Spiller does, because at that point you can make a much more informed decision, even if you leave out some of the possible upside of ripping someone off in a trade for CJ.

Doesn't matter how you think Spiller should be employed. The fact is, when FJax has been healthy, he's had the lion's share of touches. If FJax returns in a month, I don't see how this is suddenly a 70-30 split for Spiller....especially if BUF is somehow competitive. If BUF has any shot at reaching the playoffs, I think FJax will be involved in more than a secondary role. History has shown, whether wise or not, Gailey would prefer to ride the 31 year old back than Spiller. And I say that as a Spiller owner in both my leagues. All I want is clarity in this situation, and honestly I'd prefer Spiller take the reigns here because I have him in both leagues, and FJax in only one.

But what I want to happen and what will actually happen might be two different things. Unless Spiller carries this Bills team on his back, and they become a totally different team with him carrying the load, I just don't see how they phase FJax out completely. To think otherwise is just overly optimistic.

Also, you caught "sh!t" about your "strategy" because you touted it as the best way to win a league. Sorry, but if you need an injury to make your team whole you're relying on luck more than guile. Looks like it might pay off for you, so congrats. But I remember saying that other savvy owners would still target RBs later in the draft despite going RB early. I've got Foster/SJax/Julio/Hakeem/Ryan/Gates....and Spiller. And in another league Forte/Martin/Graham/Julio/Harvin.....and Spiller. And it sounds like that's what the OP did too. I think that strategy still offers the best shot at a balanced team. :dunno:

Doesn't matter how you think Spiller should be employed. The fact is, when FJax has been healthy, he's had the lion's share of touches. If FJax returns in a month, I don't see how this is suddenly a 70-30 split for Spiller....especially if BUF is somehow competitive. If BUF has any shot at reaching the playoffs, I think FJax will be involved in more than a secondary role. History has shown, whether wise or not, Gailey would prefer to ride the 31 year old back than Spiller. And I say that as a Spiller owner in both my leagues. All I want is clarity in this situation, and honestly I'd prefer Spiller take the reigns here because I have him in both leagues, and FJax in only one.

But what I want to happen and what will actually happen might be two different things. Unless Spiller carries this Bills team on his back, and they become a totally different team with him carrying the load, I just don't see how they phase FJax out completely. To think otherwise is just overly optimistic.

Also, you caught "sh!t" about your "strategy" because you touted it as the best way to win a league. Sorry, but if you need an injury to make your team whole you're relying on luck more than guile. Looks like it might pay off for you, so congrats. But I remember saying that other savvy owners would still target RBs later in the draft despite going RB early. I've got Foster/SJax/Julio/Hakeem/Ryan/Gates....and Spiller. And in another league Forte/Martin/Graham/Julio/Harvin.....and Spiller. And it sounds like that's what the OP did too. I think that strategy still offers the best shot at a balanced team. :dunno:

Man as soon as I started getting comfortable with the idea of keeping Spiller and trading one of my other RB assets for an upgrade at WR you go and make a post like this, what with your cogent points and sound logic. Jackson coming back and diminishing Spiller's newfound value scares the hell out of me. It would be sad to realize I should have moved him after the window has closed.

Honestly I still don't know what to do with Spiller, so I guess I'm just going to have to sit and wait until a decision is made for me.

The guy in my auction league got Spiller as a backup for basically nothing. I am thin at RB. I thought about offering Victor Cruz for Spiller. I did offer Cruz and Trent Richardson for Spiller and Brandon Lloyd. Am I offering too much? What about the Cruz for Spiller offer? I have great WRs but Trent Richardson as my RB2. Kind of nervous about standing pat but also worried about when FJax is back in a few weeks.

Here's my thought: if you have Spiller, don't sell him at all. Enjoy the 4-6 weeks you're going to probably win in the meantime!