Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

Cowboys talk

If the Eagles had been coached by Jason Garrett, they would have lost.

In a room full of Cowboys fans watching the game and playing poker - we all said the same thing.

• Like 3

In a room full of Cowboys fans watching the game and playing poker - we all said the same thing.

Yes. It's not even debatable.

• Like 1

sad but true :(

Did anyone else notice how WIDE ASS open several of the NE wrs were? It was like Brady was throwing warm up balls.

I hope Red and Linehan actually watched and got tape on the game - finally get a clue on how to get even regular wrs open downfield.

agree, nothing but jerrahs puppet. 2 playoff appearances in 7 years. beyond sickening

• Like 1

Yea, I've never seen Beasley running downfield wide open. Yet, here's New England with some average WR's running downfield with no one in sight. Brady is throwing ducks and they're still hitting the wide open guys.

advanced horizontal route concepts. that's something that the cowboys haven't done much with during garrett's tenure. instead of flooding or rubbing, garrett likes widely spaced downfield action, mainly packages of post, dig, and go routes. he and linehan will play with formations and releases, but manipulating coverages post-snap is not a substantial part of the dallas scheme.

Well, with Hitchens now gone to KC - this team is taking on water like the Titanic.

* LB corps is a mess.... S. Lee and a 1-legged J. Smith is what we have left - yikes.

* Our WR corps is a mess.... The Dez situation is bad. Does he take a pay cut, do we trade him, do we play a overpaid wr who can't catch or get open? With him (at full salary) we have the 3rd highest paid WR corps in the league - what a joke.

* We've no LG

* We've no legit backup for Witten.

* We've concerns at Safety.

* Scandrick wants out.

* Is Tyron going to be okay?

* Do we keep D. Irving? Even with him - do we stay put at DT? I hope not.

* Chaz Green and Bell suck - we need swing men.

Well, with Hitchens now gone to KC - this team is taking on water like the Titanic.

* LB corps is a mess.... S. Lee and a 1-legged J. Smith is what we have left - yikes.

* Our WR corps is a mess.... The Dez situation is bad. Does he take a pay cut, do we trade him, do we play a overpaid wr who can't catch or get open? With him (at full salary) we have the 3rd highest paid WR corps in the league - what a joke.

* We've no LG

* Scandrick wants out.

too soon to start printing playoff tickets?

too soon to start printing playoff tickets?

As long as they say 2020 maybe. :D

* We've no LG

* Scandrick wants out.

agree on the LB problem--the boys are painted into a corner, given that the only 2 legitimate plug-and-play guys are projected to go at 10-12, LVE is a dark horse to go before 19, and evans might not be an immediate impact guy. this is compounded by the safety problem, which has the same issue now that byron is moving to corner. presumptive starters are frazier and heat--which hardly inspires confidence--and again the 2 plug-and-play starters are too high (derwin, minkah), while the more reasonable candidates (harrison, reid) are probably not immediate impact guys.

WR issue is more a cap allocation problem than a football problem. on-field, they're still a decent bunch. dez is overpaid, but due to the cap numbers you're not going to get better, cheaper.

as for the rest, irving is the best kind of problem to have (we get a talented player or a premium draft pick), scandrick was on his way out anyway (no full season since 2015, declining skills), and the LG/TE/OT issues are just the cost of doing business in the NFL.

i'm not happy, but it could be worse. main idea is that the list of 1st round candidates just got a lot smaller--they're almost forced to pick a defender now. payne, vea, LVE, evans, or maybe a faller.

WR issue is more a cap allocation problem than a football problem. on-field, they're still a decent bunch. dez is overpaid, but due to the cap numbers you're not going to get better, cheaper.

Yea I agree... But I'm terribly afraid that it's Ridley they are targeting... Which does us what exactly? If we cut Dez, they expect him to assume that role? Horrible idea - he's not that kind of player. Are we going to stick him opposite Dez? Great, now we have either TW or Beasely with dead money on the bench.

As long as this team continues to think the way to winning games is by out scoring Philly - we are going to continue to suck. Jerry, Red and the rest (still) just don't get it.

...But I'm terribly afraid that it's Ridley they are targeting...

#metoo

major difference between DAL and the rest of the east was that when PHI sucked, they used that suck to draft a foundation stone: QB. NYG will use their suck to draft a foundation stone: franchise QB or DE. dallas used their suck to draft RB.

i have a horrible, horrible feeling that 19 is going to be used on offense: WR or G.

#metoo

major difference between DAL and the rest of the east was that when PHI sucked, they used that suck to draft a foundation stone: QB. NYG will use their suck to draft a foundation stone: franchise QB or DE. dallas used their suck to draft RB.

i have a horrible, horrible feeling that 19 is going to be used on offense: WR or G.

Of all the games had no biz losing, his greatest blunder may have been that last game Philly - the one he had no biz winning..... Philly had back ups of back ups out there, absolute trash - and Red was going full balls still to win that game. To of had Dak and Zeke out there past the 1st half was inexcusable - as was the win.... And we all know why he did it - so he could say he went 9-7 instead of 8-8.

Well that bit of stupidity is going to cost us a shot at someone like V. Vea - and I'm going to be pissed.

Of all the games had no biz losing, his greatest blunder may have been that last game Philly - the one he had no biz winning..... Philly had back ups of back ups out there, absolute trash - and Red was going full balls still to win that game. To of had Dak and Zeke out there past the 1st half was inexcusable - as was the win.... And we all know why he did it - so he could say he went 9-7 instead of 8-8.

Well that bit of stupidity is going to cost us a shot at someone like V. Vea - and I'm going to be pissed.

You play to win the game

You play to win the game

So - why did the SB champions sit EVERYBODY that mattered that game?

So the Cowboys couldnt draft Vea.

Just goofing man. Herm isn't the guy to be following.

because they had already won the season. it was no different than sitting your starters in the 4th quarter of a blowout game.

i 100% agree with troubadour on this one. sports in its purest sense is about beating the man across from you. it's about leaving everything you have on the field. it's about pride--the refusal to submit--that is the heartbeat of any competitor. tanking...taking a dive...flopping...these are the gutless strategies of losers. that's why you usually hear pro-tanking arguments from non-athletes who think that sports is about trophies.

yeah, it'd be nice to be drafting at 14 instead of 19. but it would have required my team to b!7ch out, so i'm much, much happier at 19.

i 100% agree with troubadour on this one. sports in its purest sense is about beating the man across from you. it's about leaving everything you have on the field. it's about pride--the refusal to submit--that is the heartbeat of any competitor. tanking...taking a dive...flopping...these are the gutless strategies of losers. that's why you usually hear pro-tanking arguments from non-athletes who think that sports is about trophies.

This is nice and all, something you'd find in a Hallmark commercial......................but it's not the real world.

Teams sit starters and star players all the time - why? Bcoz sports are big biz now days - not just activities for sportsmanship. Teams take knees at the end of quarters and games to run out the clock, teams sub for star players at the end of blow out games, etc.... it happens every day...............Nobody says you still can't compete and try to win the game - but you have to have some "big picture" common sense about it too........ To of had Dak, Zeke and a host of other frontline starters play that entire Eagles game was completely moronic..............Which given the clown show of this front office and coaching staff - isn't surprising.

This is nice and all, something you'd find in a Hallmark commercial......................but it's not the real world.

Teams sit starters and star players all the time - why? Bcoz sports are big biz now days - not just activities for sportsmanship. Teams take knees at the end of quarters and games to run out the clock, teams sub for star players at the end of blow out games, etc.... it happens every day...............Nobody says you still can't compete and try to win the game - but you have to have some "big picture" common sense about it too........ To of had Dak, Zeke and a host of other frontline starters play that entire Eagles game was completely moronic..............Which given the clown show of this front office and coaching staff - isn't surprising.

the part you deleted from the quote addresses everything you wrote here.

tanking is the mentality of losers.

the part you deleted from the quote addresses everything you wrote here.

tanking is the mentality of losers.

2 playoff wins since 1996 - if the shoe fits...

Having a clue on how best to rebuild your team is common sense.. As well as protecting your future investment.

Having a clue on how best to rebuild your team is common sense.. As well as protecting your future investment.

Nick Foles: More playoff wins than the Dallas Cowboys since 1996. Has a nice ring to it. :first:

remember the guy who put together the team that pulled off 3 SBs in 4 years? he was the opposite of a tanker.

when asked what it was about emmitt that he hadn't noticed before the draft, jimmy waxed poetic about just how competitive emmitt is. jimmy then went on to make a speech about winners. he said that winners are people who take competition so personally that they hate to lose even a game of tiddly winks. that they'd do anything to win a meaningless game of pool at a bar, because losing is for losers. that winners damn near kill themselves in the effort not to lose, and that's why they succeed. people who don't play the game don't understand this. they see winning in business terms--as profits, or maybe as a merit badge. it isn't.

sports isn't business, and it isn't war...at least to the people who play. it's a duel. a duel isn't about winning--it's about winning in a particular way, in order to find out who is the better man. it's about two contestants, each claiming that he is better, learning which one of them is correct. playing the weakling and deliberately losing a duel so that you can gain some kind of outside-the-lines advantage for the next duel is cowardly and dishonorable. and before you sneer, the concepts 'coward' and 'honorable' actually mean something to the kinds of people who duel (even if they are expressed with different words). they are primary criteria by which competitors judge one another. winning isn't getting a trophy--a trophy is just a symbol. that's what all these participation trophy soccer moms just don't understand. trophies are intrinsically worthless. winning--real winning--is the earned respect of your fellow competitors. that's all sports is about, to the people who play them--respect. it's having one's deepest, most despised rival nod and say "you were better today".

i would rather the cowboys lose for 20 more years than for them to get a trophy by acting like weak, effete little b!7ches.

fock tanking.

remember the guy who put together the team that pulled off 3 SBs in 4 years? he was the opposite of a tanker.

when asked what it was about emmitt that he hadn't noticed before the draft, jimmy waxed poetic about just how competitive emmitt is. jimmy then went on to make a speech about winners. he said that winners are people who take competition so personally that they hate to lose even a game of tiddly winks. that they'd do anything to win a meaningless game of pool at a bar, because losing is for losers. that winners damn near kill themselves in the effort not to lose, and that's why they succeed. people who don't play the game don't understand this. they see winning in business terms--as profits, or maybe as a merit badge. it isn't.

sports isn't business, and it isn't war...at least to the people who play. it's a duel. a duel isn't about winning--it's about winning in a particular way, in order to find out who is the better man. it's about two contestants, each claiming that he is better, learning which one of them is correct. playing the weakling and deliberately losing a duel so that you can gain some kind of outside-the-lines advantage for the next duel is cowardly and dishonorable. and before you sneer, the concepts 'coward' and 'honorable' actually mean something to the kinds of people who duel (even if they are expressed with different words). they are primary criteria by which competitors judge one another. winning isn't getting a trophy--a trophy is just a symbol. that's what all these participation trophy soccer moms just don't understand. trophies are intrinsically worthless. winning--real winning--is the earned respect of your fellow competitors. that's all sports is about, to the people who play them--respect. it's having one's deepest, most despised rival nod and say "you were better today".

i would rather the cowboys lose for 20 more years than for them to get a trophy by acting like weak, effete little b!7ches.

fock tanking.

In reality, sports is 1 of 2 things or both. An activity for those who like to play it, or simply entertainmwnt to the masses.

So it's either something fun to do for an individual, or just a business. It's not about cowards or honor. Real life encompasses those traits.

Now people with banjos on the other hand actually duel for real.

"Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser."

Vince Lombardi

Those who are pro tanking have likely never been part of a team.

"Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser."

Vince Lombardi

Those who are pro tanking have likely never been part of a team.

I doubt individual players tank. We are talking the business. See baseball and basketball. In baseball both the Cubs and Astros "tanked" by not paying out much money while they built a great system on cheaper players. Took them both a few years to do so. They are now both champions over the last 2 years, and top contenders this year.

sorry cruzer--that sounded harsh, and it wasn't directed at you personally. i just get worked up about tanking/flopping/etc.

In reality, sports is 1 of 2 things or both. An activity for those who like to play it, or simply entertainmwnt to the masses.

So it's either something fun to do for an individual, or just a business. It's not about cowards or honor. Real life encompasses those traits.

Now people with banjos on the other hand actually duel for real.

business and entertainment and the masses are utterly irrelevant to my point. my post specifically said "to the people who play". if the NFL vanished tomorrow, the players would have a pick-op basketball league going within 24 hours, because aside from all the accoutrements of pro sports, those guys are competitors to the bone. go down and ask those guy why they do it, and you'll hear the a million different words that all come back to the same idea: honor. whether they call it honor or respect or not being a or achieving excellence, it all means the same thing. the people who make a life of playing sports do it for that reason.

When the rubber hits the road they will all tank if the player and situation dictates enough return. Let us not forget the owner, coach, and fans, the players play a small role.

business and entertainment and the masses are utterly irrelevant to my point. my post specifically said "to the people who play". if the NFL vanished tomorrow, the players would have a pick-op basketball league going within 24 hours, because aside from all the accoutrements of pro sports, those guys are competitors to the bone. go down and ask those guy why they do it, and you'll hear the a million different words that all come back to the same idea: honor. whether they call it honor or respect or not being a ###### or achieving excellence, it all means the same thing. the people who make a life of playing sports do it for that reason.

I think thats true for many. Maybe a little better than half.

The others? They do it because they are fortunate enough to have a god given ability at something that makes a lot of money.

business and entertainment and the masses are utterly irrelevant to my point. my post specifically said "to the people who play". if the NFL vanished tomorrow, the players would have a pick-op basketball league going within 24 hours, because aside from all the accoutrements of pro sports, those guys are competitors to the bone.

With 80% of NFL players going broke within 2 years after retirement, I would suggest that they are not "competitors to the bone". Maybe in the sports aspects of their lives, but not others.

sports isn't business, and it isn't war...at least to the people who play. it's a duel. a duel isn't about winning--it's about winning in a particular way, in order to find out who is the better man.

Sports isn't a business? Somebody better pull out the Book of History - bcoz we have to re-write it.

Emmitt's rookie season, he held out all of training camp...... Any guesses why? I'll give you one - $$$... Again, in 1993, Emmitt held out for the 2nd time in a 3-year span..... I'm sure you remember quite well starting that season 0-2. The entire city was up in arms and the Cowboys own locker room was mad as hell at Jerry...I'll give you another guess as to the reason for Emmitt's hold out...............you got it, $$$.

So all this talk of dueling and finding out the better man is (to a certain extent) BS. To these players this is their livelihood - to Emmitt in the early 1990's it was about getting paid...... Which is the exact definition of being a business for players too.... #22 saw his team out there getting beat, getting embarrassed - and did he care, did he give in, did he come to their defense and join the fight? Nope - sure and hell didn't.. He selfishly held out for more $$$ and his own self serving interests.

But back to the stuff about measuring yourself and finding out who's the better whatever....... The SB Champs sat everybody that mattered that game - what in the hell point were we trying to make, that our starters were better than their 3 string skanks? Wow - let's hang a banner, shut down the streets and organize the parade.................. You still fight and try to win the game - but you get your starters and future nucleus off the field. You live to fight another day and you build for the future.

Today and for some time now sports has become just a big business.

Sports isn't a business? Somebody better pull out the Book of History - bcoz we have to re-write it.

Emmitt's rookie season, he held out all of training camp...... Any guesses why? I'll give you one - $$$... Again, in 1993, Emmitt held out for the 2nd time in a 3-year span..... I'm sure you remember quite well starting that season 0-2. The entire city was up in arms and the Cowboys own locker room was mad as hell at Jerry...I'll give you another guess as to the reason for Emmitt's hold out...............you got it, $$$.

So all this talk of dueling and finding out the better man is (to a certain extent) BS. To these players this is their livelihood - to Emmitt in the early 1990's it was about getting paid...... Which is the exact definition of being a business for players too.... #22 saw his team out there getting beat, getting embarrassed - and did he care, did he give in, did he come to their defense and join the fight? Nope - sure and hell didn't.. He selfishly held out for more $$$ and his own self serving interests.

But back to the stuff about measuring yourself and finding out who's the better whatever....... The SB Champs sat everybody that mattered that game - what in the hell point were we trying to make, that our starters were better than their 3 string skanks? Wow - let's hang a banner, shut down the streets and organize the parade.................. You still fight and try to win the game - but you get your starters and future nucleus off the field. You live to fight another day and you build for the future.

emmitt wasn't even on the team at that point. that's exactly what a holdout is--refusal to be part of the team. so the point you're trying to make is senseless.

and your repeated reference to the eagles game is silly. i mean, why even bother to play at all in week 17? why not just forfeit the game and save everyone the trouble?

emmitt wasn't even on the team at that point. that's exactly what a holdout is--refusal to be part of the team. so the point you're trying to make is senseless.

and your repeated reference to the eagles game is silly. i mean, why even bother to play at all in week 17? why not just forfeit the game and save everyone the trouble?

It's only silly if you've a lack of understanding of how the real world works - least in terms of professional sports....... To focus only on the Iggs game is what's actually silly. There are countless examples of teams not going full out, 100% to win the battle.

The rah, rah stuff is best left for pee wee kids and Hallmark cards.

Finally - this team made a smart personnel move........... I appreciate Dez' service - but it was time, it was the right move.