Sign in to follow this  
MDC

*** Official Philadelphia Eagles Offseason Thread ***

It'll be a very interesting offseason for Philly. The four-game winning streak to close the year means that the team didn't quit on Reid, but I don't think it's any indication of this team's talent because they played nobody that final month. On the other hand, the Eagles finished in the Top 10 in total offense and total defense (yards). Turnovers and poor coaching really killed them in a handful of games, but those things should be correctable and there's reason to think they were slightly more talented than their record.

I think the biggest needs right now are:

LB: This team needs an impact MLB in the worst way. Every starting LB on the team looked like a backup to me. The only one who was consistently decent was Brian Rolle, and he was a 4th round rookie. This unit is just awful.

S: Safety play has killed them the past few years. I think it's fair to wonder why the hell this team let Dawkins and Mikell go without any Plan B. They've invested 2nd rounders in Jarrett and Allen the past few years and neither has played consistently well. They can't go into the year without adding more talent here.

Secondary needs are:

WR: If they let DJax go they need to add talent here. I think he's is massively overrated, but his speed opens up the offense for everyone else. Avant is great in his role but shouldn't start. DJax is supposedly asking for Top 5 wideout type money but he's not even a Top 10 receiver. I have a feeling he's going to get franchised and traded.

QB: It's a virtual certainty that the backup QB will start 3-4 games this year. I haven't seen much of Trent Edwards and don't want to. I have seen Mike Kafka and don't want to see any more. There was some speculation that the Eagles were asking at the Rams' #2 draft pick for RG3. I'd love it, but can't see it happening - the Eagles don't have the capital to move up that far and Reid doesn't have a long enough leash to start developing another QB of the future. I think they draft one in the 2-3 range though.

RB: The fact that they tried to trade Ronnie Brown for a guy (Harrison) they could've easily resigned to a short term deal the year before shows you what they thought of him. Philly ran the ball very well last year. I still think they could use a big slasher type to help move the chains and close games out. Dion Lewis looked pretty good in limited time as a 3rd option.

For the first time in forever, I think the OL is really pretty solid - they did an excellent job last year, especially considering they started 2 rookies for most of the season. They need to re-sign Evan Mathis. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting another OT, even high in the draft, if the talent fell that way. Herramens did a terrific job at RT but he's most valuable at guard. Kelce played about as well at center as anyone could have expected. Howard Mudd did an awesome job and I hope he's back.

Just some initial thoughts on the state of the team.

Eagles franchised DJax and at least based on his comments it sounds like he's content with the tag. I'm not a huge fan - he's an exciting homerun threat but less valuable IMO than a bigger receiver who can go over the middle in addition to burning you deep. But Philly obviously wasn't getting anyone better out of the draft or free agency this year and Jackson's effect on the rest of the audience is obvious. I hope they tell him a long-term deal is contingent on having a better year than last season, when he was shortarming passes and sulking on the sideline.

Guess that removes WR from the list of needs. They may want to draft some depth late or sign a cheaper veteran anyway, though. Steve Smith is likely gone so that leaves them with by my count four experienced receivers.

QB: It's a virtual certainty that the backup QB will start 3-4 games this year. I haven't seen much of Trent Edwards and don't want to. I have seen Mike Kafka and don't want to see any more. There was some speculation that the Eagles were asking at the Rams' #2 draft pick for RG3. I'd love it, but can't see it happening - the Eagles don't have the capital to move up that far and Reid doesn't have a long enough leash to start developing another QB of the future. I think they draft one in the 2-3 range though.

I really wouldn't mind seeing them blow the whole thing up and give up what it takes to get RG3 (even though it would probably cost them their whole draft). Keep Shady McCoy, Maclin, and the offensive line. Everyone else on offense is expendable.

But that will never happen because Reid would basically be firing himself. My biggest fear is this team goes 11-5, wins a playoff game, and Reid is locked in as the coach again for another few years.

I agree with most of what you said above. Assuming they retain the status quo, LB and safety are obviously the biggest needs. But I am already preparing myself for them to select another undersized defensive lineman in the first round. These guys (Banner, Reid, Roseman) think they can outsmart everyone and are too stubborn to change.

Resigning Cole and Herramens were excellent moves.

Signing Desean ... mixed feelings, but the deal wasn't ridiculous. Certainly not in the Top 5 range he was talking about.

Sounds like Curtis Lofton (LB, ATL) may be on the verge of coming to Philly. I pray they don't stop with one new body and draft heavily at this position.

Word is also that the team is working on a long-term deal for McCoy.

Wrapping up Evan Mathis might be the next order of business.

Quiet offseason so far, as expected.

I am really high on the Eagles this year myself, but no new Defensive coordinator? What the hell? At the very least are they going to let Nnamdi go back to locking down half the field like the Raiders did? I really like what this team has but no new D-coordinator is a scary message to send to the players. Is the team somehow ok with the defenses performance from last year?

I think thats a fair contract for Desean maybe slightly generous but worth it if he responds well. It will be interesting to see how he responds to getting paid though. Another year anything like last year and its a bad trend.

Has Assante been released yet?

Resigned Mathis so the OL is set. Traded for Demaco Ryans. I still think safety and linebacker are the big areas of need, but I have a feeling we go DT in the draft.

Seems like DT in the first round is now pretty likely. I don't think Kuechly makes it to them at 15 anyways. Would also be suprising if Dontari Poe falls to them (I like him a lot as a 4-3 run stuffing tackle). So Michael Brockers, DT, LSU might make sense. They do still need help at LB, but my guess is they target one in the later rounds.

It's looking very likely they go DT. It's really too bad there are no elite safety prospects because that's still an area of serious need. I'd rank the needs right now:

1. Safety: They were just awful here last year, but given all the youth and two relatively high picks at this spot with Allen and Jarrett, I doubt they address this spot early. Maybe they deal down for Barron? I don't see it.

2. OLB: The Ryans trade was brilliant but I'd still like to add talent to this spot. Brian Rolle deserves a chance to continue starting but nobody else in this unit looks like a player.

3. DT: Need a rotational guy, particularly a run-stuffer.

A young QB to groom behind Vick would help. I believe we only have 4 wideouts on the roster so we will probably look for depth in the draft. I'm sure Reid drafts at least one offensive lineman for depth.

For a team that was such a huge disappointment last year the roster looks pretty decent. The hole at safety is hugely glaring though.

Jason Peters ruptures his Achilles tendon - likely out for the season. Less than a week later the Eagles sign the best available free agent LT Demestress Bell.

There's bound to be a dropoff but I've got to hand it to them, very nice signing and the money isn't huge (only one guaranteed year). Bell has an injury history and I'm not wild about the bench players so I'll be surprised if they don't take an OT in the 3-5 round range. This signing prevents them from reaching in the 1st and allows them to focus on more pressing areas of need like safety and linebacker.

Still thinking a defensive tackle is most likely in the 1st, especially if they're committed to taking the best player on the board regardless of position. There should be some very good options around 15. Safety is also a glaring need but Barron would be a reach at that spot and I'm not sure he's such an elite prospect that it's worth dealing down to draft him. No other S looks worthy of a 1st round pick.

DE is also an option, although that's been a really bad drafting spot for Philly and they've struck out hard pretty much since striking gold with Trent Cole in round 5. CB is a more distant option if they deal Asante Samuel.

Just looking at Mel Kiper's most recent mock, he actually has Mark Barron going #14 to Dallas. So he may not be a reach if he was available to the Eagles. He has the Eagles selecting Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State which falls in line with our assumption they will go DT. In the 2nd round he has the Eagles selecting a LB in Zach Brown out of UNC and Dwayne Allen, TE, Clemson which would be kind of suprising.

Todd McShay actually has the Cowboys and Eagles picks reversed with the Cowboys taking Cox and the Eagles grabbing Mark Barron. So I guess Barron can't be ruled out. He seems to fit right in that range, is the best safety in the draft, and a need for the Eagles. In the 2nd round he has the Eagle selecting Devon Still, DT, PSU and Ronnell Lewis, OLB, Georgia. I must say, I like the idea of taking Barron if Devon Still is still around when the Eagles pick in the 2nd round. Devon Still was being listed as potentially the best DT in the draft awhile back.

I'd be shocked if they take Barron at 15. It may be the right call but after drafting Allen and Jarrett with high 2nd rounders I can't see this team going to the well again.

I'd love to see them draft heavily at D. They need an OT and backup RB (probably a cheap vet) but otherwise the O is pretty much set. I'm convinced they go DL in the first. The second is where things get interesting - LB, S, OT or even QB wouldn't shock me.

A mid-rounder I'd love is Vontaze Burfict, MLB. He had a poor combine but he's a real thumper who would provide great depth. They will likely draft a WR at some point.

A mid-rounder I'd love is Vontaze Burfict, MLB. He had a poor combine but he's a real thumper who would provide great depth.

No, no, no. A thousand times "NO!!!".

You must have seen Burfict two years ago, when he was being protected by Magee, the real stud of that LB corps. Burfict didn't hit a guy solidly all season long, visibly takes plays off, and has been referred to by people inside the ASU program as having "emotional difficulties". Not a head case. Not high strung. "Emotional difficulties".

At the combine he couldn't break 5 in the 40. At the recent ASU pro day he did get down to a 4.86, but he also mustered up 14 reps at 225. That's about 10 fewer than Pflugrad, a 185 lb WR who will go undrafted, did.

There's nothing about Burfict that's going to improve because he gets money.

I know Burfict had an awful combine, but he's a guy who was projected to go at the 1-2 turn as of a few months ago and we're talking about a guy who could be had now in the 4-6 range as a backup / special teamer. At worst he's a typical Andy Reid mid-rounder LB.

I know Burfict had an awful combine, but he's a guy who was projected to go at the 1-2 turn as of a few months ago and we're talking about a guy who could be had now in the 4-6 range as a backup / special teamer. At worst he's a typical Andy Reid mid-rounder LB.

He had an awful season. Spectacularly bad, as in walking away from the line of scrimmage to protest the call on the previous play... more than once... bad.

He was Top 10 before a down was played; at the 1-2 turn a few months ago; and now in the 4-6 range. He's not talented. He won't be a good backup; guy seriously thinks he's special. A true cancer and, from what I've heard of his interviews, that's glaringly apparent.

I'm sure you follow the draft closer than I do. You haven't followed Burfict closer. He's a focking disaster. A wasted draft pick who will never make it in the NFL.

They always draft big linemen early, maybe half panned out. But they have. Window with the offensive talent but it may only b another's year or two before the massive changes come. Gotta let Reid try with Vick & co. The franchise, IMO, owes him that much.

Still like iggles better then Boys!!! But agree iggle fans are worse & don't deserve squat!! All Philly fans!! Flyers, phillies , iggles but grew up watching barkley (my all time fav player, athlete and close 2nd to shaq with personality so I don't hate on sixers

I am really high on the Eagles this year myself, but no new Defensive coordinator? What the hell? At the very least are they going to let Nnamdi go back to locking down half the field like the Raiders did? I really like what this team has but no new D-coordinator is a scary message to send to the players. Is the team somehow ok with the defenses performance from last year?

I think thats a fair contract for Desean maybe slightly generous but worth it if he responds well. It will be interesting to see how he responds to getting paid though. Another year anything like last year and its a bad trend.

Has Assante been released yet?

That would be Andy admitting a mistake which he is incapable of doing. Hopefully he gets better this season which there were glimpses of in the last half of the season last year.

I'll be in the very small minority here but ... I think the defensive personnel last year was a much bigger problem than Juan Castillo.

The Eagles linebackers had to be among the single worst units in the NFL. The only one of the bunch who looked like he could play even a little was Brian Rolle, a 4th round rookie. Otherwise we were starting a slow-footed, confused MLB and tinkered with the LBs all year because none of the configurations worked at all. The safety play might have been just as bad. Neither Allen or Jarrett have shown even flashes of being worth the 2nd round picks the Eagles spent on them. The best safety was probably Kurt Coleman, a former 6th rounder and backup on any other team. And he was pretty mediocre.

The CBs were totally out of position with Samuel playing in a press-coverage defense, not at all his strength, and DRC playing in the slot. It's no coincidence that the D looked better when Samuel got hurt, since that put Joselio Hansen back at nickel corner and allowed the other two CBs to play their natural positions. Add to all this the lockout-shortened offseason and the fact that the offense kept putting the D in a terrible situation by turning the ball over constantly, and it's not surprising that Castillo struggled in his first year as D coordinator.

Despite all that the defense finished 8th in points allowed, 10th in total yards and if they didn't lead the league in sacks they were damn close. The problems were mostly dumb penalties, letting up the big play and poor redzone performance - it's not like the Eagles just got tossed around like a ragdoll all season.

I'm not saying that Castillo is right for the job and it's totally valid to question the wisdom of promoting the OL coach to D coordinator in a shortened offseason. All I'm saying is, Juan really took the brunt of the criticism last year when I think most of it should go to Andy Reid for making so many poor personnel decisions before the season began.

I expect the defense to make some dramatic strides this year. If they don't, I think Castillo will be fired, maybe along with his boss.

I do agree with some of what you said, or at least the main point you were trying to make. Castillo got the blame for everything on the defensive side of the ball when he was given personnel that had quite a few holes, mainly at LB and Safety. That part is on Reid (and Roseman) and they deserved more blame. Castillo became the scapegoat for everything, but then suprisingly didn't get fired. But my issue with Castillo is what he did or didn't do with the group he was given.

I would say the point about the CB's being out of position was Castillo's fault? No? He runs the defense and can play different schemes to fit the strength of his players. Now I understand it can be tough when Asante only wants to play zone on one side of the field and Nnamdi and DRC are much better in man to man coverage. But I think they could of made it work better than it did, especially early in the season.

My biggest issue with Castillo is that it didn't seem like he made many good in game adjustments. That's what made Jim Johnson soo great. Yes, he devised some really good game plans, but if something wasn't working, he would adjust at halftime or in game. The Eagles this season just seemed to continue to have the same defensive problems over and over again (admittedly some of that is due to their personnel). But look at the Cardinals game for example. How do you fail to put your best corner man to man on Larry Fitzgerald? Isn't that what they got Nnamdi for? All Fitzgerald had to do was move in to the slot or the other side of the field and he'd get lined up on DRC, Hanson, or Samuel. How does Castillo not make an adjustment there? How does Hanson and then Jarrett end up in coverage on Fitzgerald on two of the bigger plays in the game? That can't happen. Eagles win that game and everything plays out the same way after, they win the division at 9-7 (and the Giants never win the Super Bowl).

But I'm willing to give Castillo a chance early this upcoming season as things slowly started to look better late last season (although the opponents weren't the best). I would of been fine if they fired him, but once Spagnuolo signed in New Orleans, there really wasn't a great defensive coordinator to bring in. Most D coordinators probably weren't interested in joining a team that appears to have a lame-duck coach in Reid.

I think the biggest needs right now are:

LB: This team needs an impact MLB in the worst way. Every starting LB on the team looked like a backup to me. The only one who was consistently decent was Brian Rolle, and he was a 4th round rookie. This unit is just awful.

Well, they traded for Demarcus Ryans at Linebacker. If we can match previous seasons, I think the Eagles are set at Linebacker. Now they just need some help at OT and Defensive Back.

Well, they traded for Demarcus Ryans at Linebacker. If we can match previous seasons, I think the Eagles are set at Linebacker. Now they just need some help at OT and Defensive Back.

I'd still like to see the Eagles take a linebacker in the first two rounds - either another MLB who you can shift to the strong side or an outside backer. They definitely need a tackle and assuming Samuel is traded they'll draft someone to compete at nickel cornerback.

It looks like Fletcher Cox is climbing up the boards and projected to go to the Chiefs or Panthers now. Poe is a poor fit for the Eagles' scene so he won't be the pick. What now? Maybe Barron really is the pick.

I have a bad feeling they take a cornerback at 15 just to pizz me off.

It looks like Fletcher Cox is climbing up the boards and projected to go to the Chiefs or Panthers now. Poe is a poor fit for the Eagles' scene so he won't be the pick. What now? Maybe Barron really is the pick.

I have a bad feeling they take a cornerback at 15 just to pizz me off.

I don't see any way that Mark Barron makes it past Dallas at 14. He is the perfect fit for them in my opinion. If the Eagles really want him, they would need to trade up. But trading up for a safety in the first round would be surprising for them. I could see a trade with Carolina at #9 to try to grab Fletcher Cox (or Mark Barron).

Cornerback really wouldn't make sense in my opinion. They are trying to trade Asante Samuel so that Asomugha and DRC can start, and Hanson is a pretty good nickel corner. Drafting another CB would just put them back in a tough situation.

If they stay at 15, and assuming Cox, Barron, and Kuechly are all gone (I'd take any of them if available), I would think the Eagles would look to trade back, pick up extra picks, and still secure a DT like Michael Brockers or Jerel Worthy later in the first round. Or they may just draft one of them I guess.

Hearing a lot of buzz about this guy:

15. Philadelphia Eagles -- Syracuse DE Chandler Jones

The Eagles are still reeling from their decision to bypass Jason Pierre-Paul in favor of Brandon Graham two drafts ago. Graham, selected with Philly's pick at 13, has three sacks through two seasons. Drafted by the division-rival Giants two picks later, Pierre-Paul is a first-team All Pro. While not as explosive off the edge, Jones has some JPPish traits as a long-armed, high-effort pass rusher with loads of "growth potential." He'd be the Eagles' left defensive end of the future.

He's been linked to them in a few mocks, not just this one.

They will draft some guys and remain irrelevant.

What do I win? :cheers:

Hearing a lot of buzz about this guy:

15. Philadelphia Eagles -- Syracuse DE Chandler Jones

The Eagles are still reeling from their decision to bypass Jason Pierre-Paul in favor of Brandon Graham two drafts ago. Graham, selected with Philly's pick at 13, has three sacks through two seasons. Drafted by the division-rival Giants two picks later, Pierre-Paul is a first-team All Pro. While not as explosive off the edge, Jones has some JPPish traits as a long-armed, high-effort pass rusher with loads of "growth potential." He'd be the Eagles' left defensive end of the future.

He's been linked to them in a few mocks, not just this one.

I've seen this as well. Jones is flying up draft boards. BUT I don't think he makes much sense for the Eagles. I've read he is better suited to be a 3-4 outside LB.

Also with Trent Cole and Jason Babin both signed for several years, I don't understand taking another DE. I would think this team with Reid and Vick would have a sense or urgency to win now. I also assume they still plan on Brandon Graham making an impact. :dunno:

The exact same plastic trophy they give out at the Special Olympics. :first:

I don't really think the Eagles will draft a CB in Round 1, just kidding about that. It won't shock me if they draft one in Round 2. Right now I'm sort of baffled as to what they're going to do, since it seems likely that Fletcher Cox will be off the board. I am hoping they don't trade up though, because they have a lot of needs on defense and could really get good bang for their buck in Rounds 1-2. If anything I'd rather they deal down and hope they get more picks.

A guy I'm seeing mocked to Philly more and more is Quentin Coples. I'd really rather not take an underachiever that early but it would fit with the new "we don't care about personality" line of the organization. I'm also not opposed to drafting a DE. You can never have enough talented guys at your DE rotation. Safety and OLB are more pressing needs though.

Edit:

What I want out of the first round:

Best available player at 15. I'm really hoping Kuechly, Cox or Barron are there. If not they might consider dealing down to the 20-25 range, try to pick up an extra pick or two and take the best DT or DE on the board. There should be several good options there and I'd prefer that to trading up.

They need a S, LB and CB relatively early. On the offensive side of the ball the only pressing need is an offensive tackle and developmental QB, but it wouldn't hurt to add a wideout or RB if the board falls that way.

Main needs are S, LB and DT/DE. Secondary needs are CB, OT and QB, all for depth. They're in a pretty good position to make this happen with two second rounders and possibly a few other high picks, assuming they deal Samuel and/or trade down in the first.

Looks like Birds just sent Assante Samuel to Atlanta for a 7th round pick.

Looks like Birds just sent Assante Samuel to Atlanta for a 7th round pick.

:doh: Nice going guys.

Why do you have to be such a jerk?

What have the Eagles ever done to you besides gift your team their last Super Bowl victory sometime around when "Drop it like its hot" was a hit song ??? :lol:

I think the Eagles are always a threat with all of the talent they have.... they just need to find a QB :cheers:

Very nice pick for the Eagles - only had to give up a 4 and a 6 to get their guy, arguably the best DT on the Board. :thumbsup:

Very nice pick for the Eagles - only had to give up a 4 and a 6 to get their guy, arguably the best DT on the Board. :thumbsup:

Liked the pick A LOT. Now hopefully they don't take Kirk Cousins with one of their 2nd round picks.

Liked the pick A LOT. Now hopefully they don't take Kirk Cousins with one of their 2nd round picks.

Word. I really want Lavonte David and Janoris Jenkins. The only position I'd draft on O before round 3 is an OT, and only if they're getting a bargain (which almost never happens with offensive tackles).

Word. I really want Lavonte David and Janoris Jenkins. The only position I'd draft on O before round 3 is an OT, and only if they're getting a bargain (which almost never happens with offensive tackles).

Lavonte David would be a perfect fit for them. Mychal Kendricks out of Cal wouldn't be bad either. Sounds like Jenkins will go pretty quickly in the 2nd round. He has top 10 talent that someone will take a chance on. Grabbing Brandon Taylor (the 3rd best safety in the draft) with their other 2nd round pick might not be a bad idea. If they come out of their first 3 picks with DT, LB, Safety (or CB), I will be very happy.

I loved the Eagles first 3 picks. I'd have preferred David to Kendricks but mostly I'm thrilled with an early linebacker selection. Curry was a steal - excellent depth pick. The D line looks very deep and nasty. I'm less thrilled with the late rounders. I don't really like Foles much and would've liked another safety. Overall though I am much happier with this draft than the past 2 and think Philly has had an excellent offseason so far.

I loved the Eagles first 3 picks. I'd have preferred David to Kendricks but mostly I'm thrilled with an early linebacker selection. Curry was a steal - excellent depth pick. The D line looks very deep and nasty. I'm less thrilled with the late rounders. I don't really like Foles much and would've liked another safety. Overall though I am much happier with this draft than the past 2 and think Philly has had an excellent offseason so far.

I loved the Foles pick - it was actually who I was hoping they would take. He seems like he could be a solid backup/starter. Let's face it.... the chances that Vick isn't going to miss half the season every season are pretty slim. Not sure Kafka is going to cut it from what we've seen. They need to work on the QB position and they really got one of the best out there in the draft at a pretty low price.

I loved the Foles pick - it was actually who I was hoping they would take. He seems like he could be a solid backup/starter. Let's face it.... the chances that Vick isn't going to miss half the season every season are pretty slim. Not sure Kafka is going to cut it from what we've seen. They need to work on the QB position and they really got one of the best out there in the draft at a pretty low price.

6'5", strong arm and can make all the throws...definitely worth a shot! And, getting Boykin in the 4th was a nice pick. People had him going in the early 2nd.