Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Your Ideal Place to Live

What's your ideal setting for a place to live? City (think NY)? Suburbs? The country where you have a lot of land and not a neighbor for one or more miles? Lake house? Beach house? River house? Cabin in the woods? In the mountains?

Probably lake house not too far out of a city about the size of Nashville or so.

Dig going fishing and out on the boat. Doesn't have to be some huge lake either. Something to fish...have a decent little boat to ski and tube behind...couple of jet skis.

Iv lived in the deep country, burbs, downtown of a major city, everywhere. I liked downtown the most and like being central to everything. But it really depends on lifestyle and age. As a kid the country was great, a big city would offer me very little. As a single adult, city is more fun. I would go out all the time, party, have people over, walk everywhere I needed and it was so much fun. Now married, all fun like that is pointless and friends are either gone or have kids (gone) so living close to,shopping centers and stuff is most important.

Cabin in the woods, definitely. Give me a satellite connection for internet and I could go completely off grid. A decent A frame cabin with a solar roof, a couple of windmill generators, a wood stove for heat and hot water, a geothermal system, go total overkill in case one system fails. Have a lake close by, sounds like paradise.

Might even let my wife visit once in a while.

• Like 2

I'd like to visit Wyoming and Montana. Both states have less than 7 people per square mile and they look beautiful. Idaho looks nice too.

It would be neat to be able to travel for as long as you wanted and find a place that just feels right and settle there.

very tough question for me. I enjoy tropical environments (diving, surfing, volleyball, palm trees, rum drinks). i also love alpine climates. hard to have both close to each other. i like being close to larger cities (within an hour's drive) for the culture/stimulation.

northern california is close (far drive to mountains, cold water beaches). colorado mountains are close (not far from denver, but not warm beaches). i could see something near the northern lakes of italy, but about 3 hour drive to the riviera. more so for innsbruck (6 hrs to the riviera).

i am at a point where i might be able to push aside the snow, and find something in Mexico or Caribbean. love hawai, but unless we hit lotto- too expensive

Already living there....Rent free in SloNuff's head :banana:

• Like 1

Some island in the Caribbean where I can write novels and drink heavily eating lobster and invite the sea to punch me right in the fawking d!ck on Tuesday mornings.

Some island in the Caribbean where I can write novels and drink heavily eating lobster and invite the sea to punch me right in the fawking d!ck on Tuesday mornings.

With Sux!

The South Island of New Zealand is pretty awesome - beautiful mountains, waterfalls, hiking, biking and climbing. And very few people. Considering moving there at some point.

Also like Jackson Hole, Whistler/Squamish and Utah.

Hawaii is OK, too

I don't know. If I was filthy rich it would be on a ranch in Washington, oregon, or montana.

If I have the same money I do today then it becomes trickier, probably Hilton head, destin, or denver.

I think my parents do it right. Eight months (April thru November) in Northern Lower Peninsula of Michigan, December thru March in the Florida Keys.

One of my biggest regrets is not living downtown in a big city in my youth. I'd even like to do it now, at least for a couple of years, but the wife wants nothing to do with it.

More though, now I want to be somewhere warm. Would love Cali but it's just so damn expensive. Maybe someday I'll move to one of the Carolinas or something .

Definitely not the city. I grew up on the South Side of Pittsburgh and having lived in the south for 20+ years now, I'll never live in a city again.

Some place like Hilton Head, SC where there's enough money to keep the riff raff out.

Naples, FL. most of the year and a cabin or condo on a lake in Colorado for a couple of months in the summer.

City with mountains or the great outdoors close by, something like Vancouver but in the US.

Welcome to Denver.

nonexistent.. was upstate ny... really had 0 mosquito problems

cockroaches?

I really liked where I lived in Midtown Houston. It wasn't downtown where all the filth was, But it was like a five minute bus ride to get downtown and work. And in that location You had access to all the major highways within a matter of minutes. It's growing more and more and getting more more expensive, But it really was a pretty cool part of town. I love being a little walk anywhere Without having to get the car in front of parking space and all that jazz.