Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Mike Lupica’s rambling, diva fits forced ESPN to cancel "The Sports Reporters"

Mike Lupica is being blamed for the cancellation of “The Sports Reporters” after the show’s run of nearly 30 years on ESPN.
The Daily News columnist was a panelist for many years on the Sunday morning show, on which he and other print reporters such as the Boston Globe’s Bob Ryan and the Detroit Free Press’ Mitch Albom discussed the week’s hot-button issues in sports.
When longtime host John Saunders unexpectedly died at 61 in August, Lupica jumped at the chance to replace him.
“He was a total diva,” one insider said. “He was abusive to people, and mean to the staff.”
But the biggest problem was that Lupica talked too much.
“When you’re a panelist, you are there to give your opinions. When you’re the host, you’re supposed to elicit other people’s opinions. He could never shut up,” said my source.
ESPN announced last month that the show will end in May.
Lupica’s sports talk-radio show on ESPN New York was canceled in 2015, as he was beaten badly in the ratings by Mike Francesa on WFAN, who at the time had roughly triple Lupica’s audience share.

Not that I give a chit about ESPN, but I did like TSR back in the day.

http://pagesix.com/2017/02/14/mike-lupica-to-blame-for-espn-canceling-the-sports-reporters/

Why cancel the show? Just fire him and replace him with Stephen A.

:lol:

lupica was god awful on ESPN radio. was so happy when they cancelled him there

Not that I give a chit about ESPN, but I did like TSR back in the day.

http://pagesix.com/2017/02/14/mike-lupica-to-blame-for-espn-canceling-the-sports-reporters/

Was watching the other day, Lupica says Tom Brady GOAT, argument over, Bob Ryan from BOSTON says, 'well, you can make an argument...' Lupica: NO BOB, the argument is over.

What an ass....

He was the worst thing about the show 25 years ago. A friend used to say, "That guy is the classic "Last player picked"".

He was the worst thing about the show 25 years ago. A friend used to say, "That guy is the classic "Last player picked"".

Good author though. I liked a couple of his books

Yeah, as an old white guy, I really liked the original iteration of that show. I'm trying to think of the old guy who used to run that show. I think his kid ended up on the panel? I can picture him, name just eludes me for now.

Lupica always struck me as he must be about 5 foot 4 at best. Probably with a toupe.

But, I doubt Lupica is the sole reason for the termination of TSR. That network has been getting more 'ethnic' in an agressive and unsubtle way for the past years now. Basically, if you don't have a fat lesbian latina fat chick battling breast cancer and at least 2 blacks for every white guy, your show is on the bubble.

God, that name's gonna bug me.

Yeah, as an old white guy, I really liked the original iteration of that show. I'm trying to think of the old guy who used to run that show. I think his kid ended up on the panel? I can picture him, name just eludes me for now.

Lupica always struck me as he must be about 5 foot 4 at best. Probably with a toupe.

But, I doubt Lupica is the sole reason for the termination of TSR. That network has been getting more 'ethnic' in an agressive and unsubtle way for the past years now. Basically, if you don't have a fat lesbian latina fat chick battling breast cancer and at least 2 blacks for every white guy, your show is on the bubble.

God, that name's gonna bug me.

Schapp

Schapp

D!CK

Used to watch it religiously; the weeks when Lupica sat in for Saunders were virtually insufferable.

Speaking of Schaap. "this is Jeremy Schaap...ES..................PN"

Albom's ear and hair always looked weird.

The way his hair covers part of his ears makes him look like an elf.

The thing I didn't like about the show was that they all talked like what they were saying was super profound and they had some deep insight that no one else had ever thought of before. Even guys who didn't do it on other shows did it there. Lupica might have done it more than anyone. It was even worse on their end of the show speeches.

Albom's ear and hair always looked weird.

It was like his parents beat him MMA style when he was a baby