Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

"Guerilla" Tennis

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A tennis commentator dropped by ESPN for a remark about Venus Williams during the Australian Open sued the sports network Tuesday for wrongful termination.

Former tennis pro Doug Adler maintains he was describing Williams’ aggressive style last month as “guerrilla” tactics and not comparing her with a “gorilla.”

He apologized for his poor word choice but was let go from ESPN mid-tournament.

Adler claims “emotional distress” in the filing in Los Angeles Superior Court, alleging he was wrongly branded a racist and has lost other TV opportunities because of the controversy.

The lawsuit calls for punitive financial damages, but doesn’t name an amount.

ESPN spokesman Mike Soltys said Tuesday the network hadn’t seen the lawsuit and had no comment.

The suit points out that “Guerrilla Tennis” was the name of a Nike TV ad from the 1990s featuring Andre Agassi and Pete Sampras.

“Obviously, (Adler) saw that commercial many times and the phrase became widely used by those who actually understood tennis vernacular and followed the sport closely,” the lawsuit said

I'm guessing there was a thread before this, but now the guy's pushing back. What say ye?

To me, the bolded part is the game winner. I hope he takes these guys for $100M.

Absolutely ridiculous.

I'd have to hear the comment in context, but yeah, I hate this stuff. Like when Rush said that the media gives McNabb a pass because he is black, the liberal PC police lacked the mental acuity to process what that actually meant and instead went with "Rush insults black QB, crucify him!"

I'd have to hear the comment in context, but yeah, I hate this stuff. Like when Rush said that the media gives McNabb a pass because he is black, the liberal PC police lacked the mental acuity to process what that actually meant and instead went with "Rush insults black QB, crucify him!"

There was literally 0 context it could have been referring to an animal

I'm just surprised that this thread wasn't about the Williams' sisters. There might be hope for some of you'se

I'm just surprised that this thread wasn't about the Williams' sisters. There might be hope for some of you'se

Uhhhhh

It is the comments were made during her match

It has to start somewhere It has to start sometime.

What better place than here, what better time than now?

So we clearly have some people who are aparently google-deficient.

in this clip, it seems like it could go either way. ESPN would do well, to settle for a minimal amount - a contract buy out and move on. Include a non-disclosure from all parties.

How come ESPN gets no blame for assuming people mean Gorilla when referring black people? :dunno:

ESPN: "He obviously meant gorilla, because, come on, look at her."

I just read Chiquita pulled out of Wimbeldon sponsorship.

Also, did you know that her first love was shot and killed in Cincinnati? Some guy named Harambe.

During a rebounding drill the other day, I told the boys to go up and grab the ball like a vicious animal.

I went down the line and asked each of them which vicious animal they were going to rebound like and 2 of them said gorilla. 1 of the scrubs said goldfish.

Definitely a poor choice of words but I think Venus overreacted when she threw her feces at him.

:lol:

Guerilla tactics means coming out of the woodwork from all angles.... The guerilla 'charge' is a bit of a reach, and sounds more like the animal than the war adjective.

Also, did you know that her first love was shot and killed in Cincinnati? Some guy named Harambe.

:doublethumbsup:

Harambe Mutumbo.

Guerilla tactics means coming out of the woodwork from all angles.... The guerilla 'charge' is a bit of a reach, and sounds more like the animal than the war adjective.

even if it was spelled Gorilla Tactics, any one with a clue would know it wasn't meant as a racist slur.

I hate the world we live in

even if it was spelled Gorilla Tactics, any one with a clue would know it wasn't meant as a racist slur.

I hate the world we live in

This exactly... even if it was 100% referring to the animal it was a tactical description

Reminds me of a story I've told here before;

A beloved Literature teacher of multiple decades was forced out

because the ignorant (rhymes with bigger) Mothers were piissed off

that Charles Dickens would DARE use the word "Niggardly".

:wall: The worst part? In trying to find this story again, it turns out this wasn't an isolated incident:

http://www.adversity.net/special/niggardly.htm

Just one snippet from the link above:

According to the Star Tribune: "Upset about the word' s similarity to a racial slur, Rideau talked to her professor, who then explained the word' s background, she said. On Friday, the professor repeated the word and defined it for the class, Rideau said. Angry he revisited the topic after she asked him not to, Rideau began to cry and stormed from the room. On Monday, she brought three black friends with her to the class for support, she said." (Associated Press, via Star Tribune 02/03/99)

Didn't Cosell get in trouble for a similar comment back on early(for us old guys) Monday night football game?

On 5 September 1983, Cosell announced a Monday night game between the Washington Redskins and the Dallas Cowboys. During the broadcast, Cosell stated in reference to Redskins wide receiver Alvin Garrett after his sixth reception of the evening, that Washington Coach Joe Gibbs, "wanted that kid, and that little monkey gets loose doesn't he". The comment brought immediate criticism for being racist, specifically by then-president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference Rev. Joseph Lowery, who demanded Cosell apologize. Cosell declined, stating first that did not recall making the statement and then that it was an appellation he had previously used for athletes of all races and a term of endearment he employed with his grandchildren. Furthermore, Cosell proclaimed that his civil rights stands for the rights of black athletes spoke for