Sign in to follow this  
Cloaca du jour

Circle of Life

Anybody who's spent any time anywhere near a cow, chicken, turkey, fish obviously, knows that these animals were made for one purpose and one purpose only. And it sure as hell isn't emotional support animal.

Do you think any of those animals are sentient/able to suffer? I draw the line somewhere around fish on the evolutionary tree, though its certainly up for debate.

Sure. They are able to suffer. That is why I think they should be slaughtered as humanely as possible. By which I mean kill them as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Id support outlawing practices like de beaking live chickens and scalding them while alive to remove feathers easier.

But stop eating them? Nope. They are food.

I dont really care about fur. I mean fock minks. Just forest rats anyway. Should try to kill them humanely, but whatever.

I dont really get the speciesism people have with food. Eat a cow, pig, chicken, fish, crab, shrimp, or duck? No worries.

Eat a dog and its focking barbaric? I mean, I have no real interest in eating dog, but I dont care if others do.

Ugg

This always turns into a debate on pets. If you keep rats as pets, suddenly they are off limits for food, or cats, dogs, pigs, horses, goats, etc. The rest of the world eats whatever they can get their hands on.

This always turns into a debate on pets. If you keep rats as pets, suddenly they are off limits for food, or cats, dogs, pigs, horses, goats, etc. The rest of the world eats whatever they can get their hands on.

The rest of the world?

A lot of folks here seem to thing the entire world outside of America is basically a sally struthers infomercial.

Or we think their ideas about food are VASTLY different.

Do you think any of those animals are sentient/able to suffer? I draw the line somewhere around fish on the evolutionary tree, though it’s certainly up for debate.

I raise chickens for the eggs and my boy is learning a lot of life lessons from it.

The idea of eating eggs weirds me out sometimes. Do you eat eggs?

I raise chickens for the eggs and my boy is learning a lot of life lessons from it.

Let's hope he can hit better than you.

Yeah, cage free ones. I like the idea of raising your own chickens, but I’ve been told they sh!t an astronomical amount.

Sure. They are able to suffer. That is why I think they should be slaughtered as humanely as possible. By which I mean kill them as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Id support outlawing practices like de beaking live chickens and scalding them while alive to remove feathers easier.

But stop eating them? Nope. They are food.

Certainly your choice, but as youve pointed out, the line between pets and food is pretty arbitrary. Moreover, we dont need to eat them, so why should we promote suffering?

Certainly your choice, but as youve pointed out, the line between pets and food is pretty arbitrary. Moreover, we dont need to eat them, so why should we promote suffering?

First if all, I dont buy your assertion that we dont need to eat them. Being vegan is possible, but not for all seven billion people on the planet. Perhaps If we retooled our agriculture to that end it would be. I dont know. Ot care since it will never happen.

As far as pets, I dont care what animals people choose to eat. Thats their call. Doesnt bother me if someone barbacues a Labrador.

As to eliminating suffering... meh. They are animals. They eat each other. It is the order of the world, whether you think that is divine or evolutionary. We have teeth for that end.

Im not for needless cruelty. Torture and whatnot is wrong. But humanely killing an animal for food? Doesnt bother me. Even if it did, wouldnt make the top 1,000 list of world problems Id choose to worry about.

You feel otherwise. And choose to live accordingly. Good on you. But the vast majority will always choose to eat meat.

The puppy in the story was supposedly terminally ill. Nonetheless: deal a puppy a cruel end to the cruel hand life allowed it to play.

First if all, I dont buy your assertion that we dont need to eat them. Being vegan is possible, but not for all seven billion people on the planet. Perhaps If we retooled our agriculture to that end it would be. I dont know. Ot care since it will never happen.

As far as pets, I dont care what animals people choose to eat. Thats their call. Doesnt bother me if someone barbacues a Labrador.

As to eliminating suffering... meh. They are animals. They eat each other. It is the order of the world, whether you think that is divine or evolutionary. We have teeth for that end.

Im not for needless cruelty. Torture and whatnot is wrong. But humanely killing an animal for food? Doesnt bother me. Even if it did, wouldnt make the top 1,000 list of world problems Id choose to worry about.

You feel otherwise. And choose to live accordingly. Good on you. But the vast majority will always choose to eat meat.

You dont need to be a vegan to avoid eating animals; vegetarianism will suffice. And while I appreciate your concerns for the planet’s nutrition, I suspect you don’t make other choices with the goal of our species’ wellbeing in mind. I also don’t think you use animal’s behavior to dictate your own. After all, we have a big brain with the ability to make ethical decisions. While we have the parts to be omnivores, we work just find without meat.

I’m not trying to convert you or anyone, just pointing out your rationalization is flawed.

This thread makes me sick.The thought of it makes it worse. Innocence lost. Just stop. End it now.

You dont need to be a vegan to avoid eating animals; vegetarianism will suffice. And while I appreciate your concerns for the planets nutrition, I suspect you dont make other choices with the goal of our species wellbeing in mind. I also dont think you use animals behavior to dictate your own. After all, we have a big brain with the ability to make ethical decisions. While we have the parts to be omnivores, we work just find without meat.

Im not trying to convert you or anyone, just pointing out your rationalization is flawed.

Im certainly not saying that we have some need to be carnivores. Just that most people choose to, and will continue to.

Im sorry, I just dont much care if a cow or a chicken dies to provide my next meal. Circle of life and all that I guess. Maybe that makes me a bad person. Oh well.

I mean, where do you draw the line? Eating plants kills things too. Not just the plants (who knows if they can feel pain) but animals who live in the fields (mice and rabbits and such) as well as the animals who used to live in the forest we cut down to clear for cultivation. There is no such thing as eating without some suffering.

And to be completely ethical, I should never use a car or electricity, as that damages the planet and causes suffering. I should just live in a hut or cave and eat what I grow myself.

But I wont. And you wont. And nobody with a choice will.

Im certainly not saying that we have some need to be carnivores. Just that most people choose to, and will continue to.

Im sorry, I just dont much care if a cow or a chicken dies to provide my next meal. Circle of life and all that I guess. Maybe that makes me a bad person. Oh well.

I mean, where do you draw the line? Eating plants kills things too. Not just the plants (who knows if they can feel pain) but animals who live in the fields (mice and rabbits and such) as well as the animals who used to live in the forest we cut down to clear for cultivation. There is no such thing as eating without some suffering.

And to be completely ethical, I should never use a car or electricity, as that damages the planet and causes suffering. I should just live in a hut or cave and eat what I grow myself.

But I wont. And you wont. And nobody with a choice will.

Dude, you’re better than this. Of course you can’t eliminate suffering, but that doesn’t mean you should throw up your hands and not try. You can attempt to minimize it. And spare me talk about plant suffering - there is no credible evidence for that occurring. I don’t care if you eat meat, but don't act like it is mandatory for anyone.

Dude, youre better than this. Of course you cant eliminate suffering, but that doesnt mean you should throw up your hands and not try. You can attempt to minimize it. And spare me talk about plant suffering - there is no credible evidence for that occurring. I dont care if you eat meat, but don't act like it is mandatory for anyone.

14 years meat free. Don't miss it one bit. Go to the gym every day and eat right.

Truth be told I think meat substitutes have surpassed the real thing in taste. If somebody wants to give it a try go to your local stor and buy a new product called beyond burgers. Make one and top it as you would your normal burger.

No joke if you go and do it and report back that there is absolutly no way you could give up a real burger for that as a replacment I will pay pal you your money back. They are better than I ever remember the real thing being.

Same goes with fake chicken wings. Absolutely awsome. I think it is funny how both the meat and dairy industry has started to get scared and gone on the attack vs plant based diets and almond milk.

They are using the yeah real men eat meat yadda yadda approach like it is some big huge masculine thing to eat an animal raised in captivity and processed like a product on an assembly line.

14 years meat free. Don't miss it one bit. Go to the gym every day and eat right.

Truth be told I think meat substitutes have surpassed the real thing in taste. If somebody wants to give it a try go to your local stor and buy a new product called beyond burgers. Make one and top it as you would your normal burger.

No joke if you go and do it and report back that there is absolutly no way you could give up a real burger for that as a replacment I will pay pal you your money back. They are better than I ever remember the real thing being.

Same goes with fake chicken wings. Absolutely awsome. I think it is funny how both the meat and dairy industry has started to get scared and gone on the attack vs plant based diets and almond milk.

They are using the yeah real men eat meat yadda yadda approach like it is some big huge masculine thing to eat an animal raised in captivity and processed like a product on an assembly line.

I used to eat meat at every meal. Now its once per day tops and some days not at all.

Im not interested in giving it up entirely as I still love it. But, Im eating a whole lot more fish and veggies than I ever did.

Yeah, cage free ones. I like the idea of raising your own chickens, but I’ve been told they sh!t an astronomical amount.

They do. Interesting enough, the odor comes when the scat gets wet. If it stays dry they aren't stinky.

Dude, youre better than this. Of course you cant eliminate suffering, but that doesnt mean you should throw up your hands and not try. You can attempt to minimize it. And spare me talk about plant suffering - there is no credible evidence for that occurring. I dont care if you eat meat, but don't act like it is mandatory for anyone.

Youre not hearing me I guess.

Ive said several times it isnt necessary or mandatory to eat meat.

Ive also said Im in full support of limiting animal suffering, in terms of keeping them and killing them humanely.

Im just not willing to go so far as to not kill them for food at all. Because at the end of the day, I dont really care about an animal dying for food.

This thread took an interesting turn...

Still not far enough off course to erase the despicable sh!t you posted.

Still not far enough off course to erase the despicable sh!t you posted.[/quote

I am gru

Youre not hearing me I guess.

Ive said several times it isnt necessary or mandatory to eat meat.

Ive also said Im in full support of limiting animal suffering, in terms of keeping them and killing them humanely.

Im just not willing to go so far as to not kill them for food at all. Because at the end of the day, I dont really care about an animal dying for food.

OK, I was responding mostly to your rationalizations for being a carnivore, particularly not buying my assertion that we don’t need to eat animals. You backed off that stance in subsequent posts :cheers:

I don’t think they’ve surpassed actual meat, but they’re good enough most people wouldn’t notice, if they kept an open mind. Beyond burgers are excellent.

I used to eat meat at every meal. Now its once per day tops and some days not at all.

Im not interested in giving it up entirely as I still love it. But, Im eating a whole lot more fish and veggies than I ever did.

I grew up eating beef every meal, but gave it up years ago. Even if you don’t consider animal cruelty, you are making a better choice for your health.

I grew up eating beef every meal, but gave it up years ago. Even if you dont consider animal cruelty, you are making a better choice for your health.

I dont eat near as much beef anymore. Most of the meat I eat now is chicken or turkey. But about once a month, I will make a burger, steak or fajitas.

They are still delicious, but I know theyre not the greatest thing for me.

Ive also been laying off pasta, breads and all sugar, except whats in fruit for awhile now.

I mostly miss Coca Cola and ice cream.

Its funny because I think the first convo I ever had with you here was about vegs and how they annoyed me.

Although I cant see myself as a 100% veg, Ive gradually moved to a more plant based diet since then.

I have much more respect for those whove made the leap.

Anybody who's spent any time anywhere near a cow, chicken, turkey, fish obviously, knows that these animals were made for one purpose and one purpose only. And it sure as hell isn't emotional support animal.

I had a Beta on my desk for a bit and I swear to God he would wag his tail when he saw me in the morning.

I prefer my circle of life cut into squares not triangles. :banana:

I dont eat near as much beef anymore. Most of the meat I eat now is chicken or turkey. But about once a month, I will make a burger, steak or fajitas.

They are still delicious, but I know theyre not the greatest thing for me.

Ive also been laying off pasta, breads and all sugar, except whats in fruit for awhile now.

I mostly miss Coca Cola and ice cream.

Its funny because I think the first convo I ever had with you here was about vegs and how they annoyed me.

Although I cant see myself as a 100% veg, Ive gradually moved to a more plant based diet since then.

I have much more respect for those whove made the leap.

Giving up meat is not as extreme as you think, but it sounds like youre finding the balance that works for you. :cheers:
  • Like 1

I had a Beta on my desk for a bit and I swear to God he would wag his tail when he saw me in the morning.

He was probably flopping around because you took him out of the tank.

OK, I was responding mostly to your rationalizations for being a carnivore, particularly not buying my assertion that we dont need to eat animals. You backed off that stance in subsequent posts :cheers:

No, the main reason Im a carnivore is that they taste good. If broccoli tastes like bacon instead of sh!t, Id eat that too.