Sign in to follow this  
Gladiators

Would you

I've been married for 23 years (34C), happily. My wife is the salt of the earth.

If I got divorced now, I'd have to pay her a ton every year...for the rest of my life. Plus child support until they're both on their own, including college.

If she didn't raise my kids while remaining at home the entire time, would I think that she was worth that? No kids? But still half?

Oh. Hell. No. I'm in a no-fault state.

Marriage is a legal contract. Your commitment doesn't have to be. Prenups cannot predict the future, and cannot protect sufficiently.

Having a ceremony in a church, and then a big wedding reception is one thing - go ahead. Having a marriage license, which allows government/law/etc to sink its hooks into you...is another.

No reason to be "legally" married without any intention to have kids.

1. If you dont have kids, presumably she is working too, and therefore has her own means of support. Which helps with the alimony thing. Alimony is largely going away anyway.

2. Even if you had no legal marriage, courts will imply one if they feel its needed to avoid an injustice. If you live with a chick for a couple decades and just bail one day, not having a marriage license isnt necessarily going to keep you off the hook.

Absolutely true.

Our kids are great BUT we havent been able to focus on each other in years.

And yes, she became a crazy person. Recovered (for a bit) about 18 months after the first was born so Im holding out hope she returns to normalcy at some point after our second.

Unfortunately mine did not, good luck to you

Absolutely true.

And yes, she became a crazy person. Recovered (for a bit) about 18 months after the first was born so Im holding out hope she returns to normalcy at some point after our second.

That sucks, I am sorry to hear that.

Absolutely true.

Just realize she was always crazy man. Once they have kids, their cloaking ability for that crazy just isn't a priority.

I truly hope you guys reconnect with each other or else once the kids grow up, you'll be eating dinner with a stranger.

• Like 1

1. If you dont have kids, presumably she is working too, and therefore has her own means of support. Which helps with the alimony thing. Alimony is largely going away anyway.

2. Even if you had no legal marriage, courts will imply one if they feel its needed to avoid an injustice. If you live with a chick for a couple decades and just bail one day, not having a marriage license isnt necessarily going to keep you off the hook.

All good points.

I did 19 years ago. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. There's no, "doing it for the kids", bullsh!t when you don't have them. You're with each other because you want to be, period.

That said, later in life, when you're both in the midst of successful careers, it's sometimes better to be able to file taxes separately. :ninja:

I did 19 years ago. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. There's no, "doing it for the kids", bullsh!t when you don't have them. You're with each other because you want to be, period.

That said, later in life, when you're both in the midst of successful careers, it's sometimes better to be able to file taxes separately. :ninja:

You can fine separately married.

You can fine separately married.

:doh:

What I meant was, in the long run, we never should have filed jointly to begin with.

'Married life is better, especially when you don't have kids'. I don't think you needed to put that last part in there; sounds defensive.

Is married life better when you have kids?

You aren't qualified to answer that, but I am. I've been married, both with and without kids. We waited nearly 5 years to have kids, and then had two, a bit more than 4 years apart.

Married life is immeasurably better with kids. There is literally nothing like it, and each new phase of their life keeps making it better; keeps it fresh and interesting. Everything you thought you knew about your relationship before you have kids is a black and white version of what you get once you share the permanent bond of children.

You literally do not know what you're missing. You may think you do; you may think you can replace the idea of kids with career, with nieces and nephews; with charity work and globe-trotting adventures, etc.

But you can't. There is nothing that can strengthen and enhance your marital bond more powerfully than kids.

What you've done is guaranteed all the downsides of a committed relationship with only the slight upside of a mutual understanding that you're legally bound to one another because of the seriousness of the commitment of marriage.

But there's 'marriage' (a ceremony), and there's 'marriage' (a legal commitment). The latter is stupid, and only worth engaging in to ensure the financial well-being of any kids.

If things go south, you're legally bound to one another. Why? What could you possibly gain from that? Of course, it may not matter, if you both have equally economically fruitful careers, etc.

But it may matter a whole lot.

Meh, to each their own. As to your "qualifications", you have no idea what I value and therefore cannot know if my (or my wife's) life is better without children. I have no doubt they help distract you from your cynical view of marriage though.

Only you can comment on your personal happiness, of course, but I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that kids improve the quality of life: http://fortune.com/2016/05/09/mothers-marriage-parenthood/

When people marry, they’re usually in love and happy to be tying the knot. But after that, things tend to change. On average, couples’ satisfaction with their marriage declines during the first years of marriage and, if the decline is particularly steep, divorce may follow. The course of true love runs downhill. And that’s before you factor in what happens when it’s time to start buying a carseat and diapers.

For around 30 years, researchers have studied how having children affects a marriage, and the results are conclusive: the relationship between spouses suffers once kids come along. Comparing couples with and without children, researchers found that the rate of the decline in relationship satisfaction is nearly twice as steep for couples who have children than for childless couples. In the event that a pregnancy is unplanned, the parents experience even greater negative impacts on their relationship.

The irony is that even as the marital satisfaction of new parents declines, the likelihood of them divorcing also declines. So, having children may make you miserable, but you’ll be miserable together.

Worse still, this decrease in marital satisfaction likely leads to a change in general happiness, because the biggest predictor of overall life satisfaction is one’s satisfaction with their spouse.

I also think it's socially unacceptable to admit that having children was a mistake, as it is for some couples.

You got him wrong. A woman who wanted kids was a priority.

This. I was never a player. I was always in 'future dad' mode and my approach to dating was pretty much 'who's the best mom for my future kids.' Women not interested in having kids were the exact opposite of what I was looking for.

Meh, to each their own. As to your "qualifications", you have no idea what I value and therefore cannot know if my (or my wife's) life is better without children. I have no doubt they help distract you from your cynical view of marriage though.

I cannot imagine why you would take issue with my statement. The only people qualified to tell you what's better is someone who has experienced both. You haven't. I have.

Only you can comment on your personal happiness, of course, but I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that kids improve the quality of life: http://fortune.com/2016/05/09/mothers-marriage-parenthood/

Again: how would you know?

I also think it's socially unacceptable to admit that having children was a mistake, as it is for some couples.

If having children is a mistake for couples, so was getting married. Part of the reason for waiting before kids is to immunize the relationship from the concern in the article - but make no mistake: the marriages referenced in the article were doomed regardless.

Pen is completely right. Life and marriage both get much more difficult after kids. You lose almost all of your independence once you have kids. Time you spend with JUST your spouse decreases greatly. Kids add a lot of joy, but also a lot of stress. In most marriages, kids tend to get all the attention while the marriage takes a back seat.

I know this is the geek club, so Im about to hear how perfect everyones marriage is, and how everyone else is doing it wrong. Whatever. Pens article rings true with basically every couple I know in real life.

I love my wife and our kids. I have the exact life I want. But it can be tough and to say our marriage hasnt suffered since having kids would be an absolute lie.

• Like 1

Pen is completely right. Life and marriage both get much more difficult after kids. You lose almost all of your independence once you have kids. Time you spend with JUST your spouse decreases greatly. Kids add a lot of joy, but also a lot of stress. In most marriages, kids tend to get all the attention while the marriage takes a back seat.

You're doing it wrong. Pen is not right, and this isn't about finding the most dysfunctional examples of marriages with kids. Having kids is not about what you 'give up'; if that were the standard, no one would 'give up' the money they cost. Having kids is about trading some things for other things which are better. My post is about comparing the best examples of both - and the best example of marriage with kids trumps the best example of marriage without kids.

And I've had both. Perhaps you haven't. No one is saying that you still have the same time alone; you don't.

It's about why you did it, and the resulting reward outpacing the sacrifice. No one said otherwise.

I know this is the geek club, so Im about to hear how perfect everyones marriage is, and how everyone else is doing it wrong. Whatever.

Just like we heard your recounting of how crappy it can be? Whatever. :doh:

Pens article rings true with basically every couple I know in real life.

Then you don't know successful couples or successful families. Sorry.

I love my wife and our kids. I have the exact life I want. But it can be tough and to say our marriage hasnt suffered since having kids would be an absolute lie.

You just contradicted the entire purpose of your post here, because - while you can easily betray the truth - you aren't willing to do so with your family. So you post that you have the 'exact life you want'.

Except:

You have the exact life you want, but your marriage has suffered.

Right.

How about you stop lying to yourself before you start lying to us? Your post looks absolutely transparent to me: you were more about defending a poster's position than you were about actually putting one up of your own that didn't sound like absolute contrived bullsht contorted to support a goal of posting defense, rather than posting truth.

But you betray it. You "have the exact life you want", but your marriage has suffered. Those two things don't jibe - unless, by "suffered", you mean you're acknowledging those things you gave up, but "you have the exact life you want" because you would rather have kids than what you had before.

Which means you're supporting my point, and not Pen's.

Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

You're doing it wrong. Pen is not right, and this isn't about finding the most dysfunctional examples of marriages with kids. Having kids is not about what you 'give up'; if that were the standard, no one would 'give up' the money they cost. Having kids is about trading some things for other things which are better. My post is about comparing the best examples of both - and the best example of marriage with kids trumps the best example of marriage without kids.

And I've had both. Perhaps you haven't. No one is saying that you still have the same time alone; you don't.

It's about why you did it, and the resulting reward outpacing the sacrifice. No one said otherwise.

You just contradicted the entire purpose of your post here, because - while you can easily betray the truth - you aren't willing to do so with your family. So you post that you have the 'exact life you want'.

Except:

Right.

How about you stop lying to yourself before you start lying to us? Your post looks absolutely transparent to me: you were more about defending a poster's position than you were about actually putting one up of your own that didn't sound like absolute contrived bullsht contorted to support a goal of posting defense, rather than posting truth.

But you betray it. You "have the exact life you want", but your marriage has suffered. Those two things don't jibe - unless, by "suffered", you mean you're acknowledging those things you gave up, but "you have the exact life you want" because you would rather have kids than what you had before.

Here you go again, throwing around words like better like Everything is black and white.

You say having kids has made your life unquestionably better. If that s true, thats great. For you. But it isnt true of everyone.

Most people just have kids because they feel they are supposed to. Its expected. Many it makes life complete. Many should never have done it, and you can tell they secretly wish they hadnt. I know some of both.

People need to be honest with themselves and decide whether they want to make that kind of sacrifice, and if the potential rewards are worth it TO THEM.

There are many paths to contentment in life. People should know themselves and follow theirs.

https://goo.gl/images/9GN4ak

Except:

Right.

Lol, like clockwork a geek comes to tell us how perfect their life is. Life is not black and white. There is gray area.

Can someone be happy with their life, happy with their marriage, and happy with their kids while also acknowledging that kids have taken a toll on their marriage? Seems common sense to me. It's possible to acknowledge that, while also being happy with your decision to have kids.

I have never heard anyone (except you) claim that kids make things easier, not harder in a marriage. You have this weird view of the world, where there is no grey area. Very odd.

I love how people tell us that this way is better than that way. It is different, that is all. There is no perfect formula for happiness. If there was, we would all do it.

Can you be happy without kids? Yes.

Can you be more happy with kids? Yes

Can you be less happy with kids? Yes

Etc.

It depends on your situation.

• Like 1

Lol, like clockwork a geek comes to tell us how perfect their life is. Life is not black and white. There is gray area.

Can someone be happy with their life, happy with their marriage, and happy with their kids while also acknowledging that kids have taken a toll on their marriage? Seems common sense to me. It's possible to acknowledge that, while also being happy with your decision to have kids.

I have never heard anyone (except you) claim that kids make things easier, not harder in a marriage. You have this weird view of the world, where there is no grey area. Very odd.

He reminds me of my father. The one I havent talked to in a decade I mean.

Certain about everything. Disdainful of any disagreement. Constantly sermonizing and absolutely convinced that if everyone would just do as he says, the world would be grand.

Meanwhile everyone around him rolls their eyes behind his back and wishes hes shut his mouth once in a damn while.

• Like 1

Certain about everything. Disdainful of any disagreement. Constantly sermonizing and absolutely convinced that if everyone would just do as he says, the world would be grand.

Meanwhile everyone around him rolls their eyes behind his back and wishes hes shut his mouth once in a damn while.

Good analogy.

Of course the discussion has drifted to happiness and children as I knew it would. All personal decisions and no wrong answers. That said people without children get entrenched in lifestyles that appear incredibly selfish while I suppose the reverse is those of us with kids are probably impossible to deal with because our lives do absolutely revolve around them.

I did, so yes.

Married life is better, especially when you don't have kids. Don't get me wrong, sleeping with multiple chicks is great, but dating is the suck. You could just be monogamous and unmarried, of course, but as much as I hate to admit it, the act of getting married carries meaning above and beyond cohabitation.

Weren't you telling me last week that neither couples with or without kids is superior to the other?

Sorta sounds like you don't believe your own hype here.

Yep, this.

There is not a single person alive who would say that having kids didn't challenge their marriage in some way. Except Mensa.

My wife and I are in a not-so-great spot right now. Her about a year ago and me now. I hope we'll survive and I think that we will. But that's marriage for you. Sometimes it's great and sometimes it is not. Kids skew the trend towards a definite NOT for a few years.

How far just depends on your baseline. If you have the best marriage ever, well then it's going to be a little less "bestiest" for a while. If you're marriage is just okay then you're in for some tough times.

Yep, this.

There is not a single person alive who would say that having kids didn't challenge their marriage in some way. Except Mensa.

My wife and I are in a not-so-great spot right now. Her about a year ago and me now. I hope we'll survive and I think that we will. But that's marriage for you. Sometimes it's great and sometimes it is not. Kids skew the trend towards a definite NOT for a few years.

How far just depends on your baseline. If you have the best marriage ever, well then it's going to be a little less "bestiest" for a while. If you're marriage is just okay then you're in for some tough times.

I heard someone ask a couple which was married 60 years what the secret to a successful marriage is. They said not falling out of love at the same time. :thumbsup:

So you are saying Gyspy is the pitcher and Sux is the catcher.

It varies

That describes my dad and the girl I'm dating. :wall:

Ive been married without kids (5 years), married with kids (2 years), and single with kids (5 years)...in my life, each situation has come with certian advantages but also certian sacrifices.

Married without kids was the best time of my life in terms of the relationship and lifestyle. Love, fun, vacations, lots of friends, lots of laughs, partnership and a teammate, etc. It was light, exciting, and somewhat carefree.

But then I had a little girl....and Ive come to learn what pure, unfiltered, and unconditional love is. (Because lets face it, there are tons of conditions on our love for our girlfriends or wives). The joy is pure joy.... It may not make sense, but it connected me to the larger world. Making the world a better place for her has given me a sense of purpose I always felt I was lacking. So while its seemingly less fun, its seemingly more important.

I tend to be a bit greedy, so for me the best balance for happiness would probably be to have my daughter half the time, and have a serious relationship with someone that isnt her mom the other half the time. Have cake, eat also, etc. But its tricky obviously, as I havent figured out how to make room for the relationship yet.

I cannot imagine why you would take issue with my statement. The only people qualified to tell you what's better is someone who has experienced both. You haven't. I have.

Again: how would you know?

If having children is a mistake for couples, so was getting married. Part of the reason for waiting before kids is to immunize the relationship from the concern in the article - but make no mistake: the marriages referenced in the article were doomed regardless.

You never understand why your condescending, sanctimonious tone is insulting - this doesn't make it any less so. And one doesn't need to experience something to have an opinion on it, nor does your personal experience necessarily apply to everyone (or negate research on the topic, including marriages with children). You could have just described your experience having kids without telling me that I can't have an opinion on the subject.

Here you go again, throwing around words like better like Everything is black and white.

You say having kids has made your life unquestionably better. If that s true, thats great. For you. But it isnt true of everyone.

Most people just have kids because they feel they are supposed to. Its expected. Many it makes life complete. Many should never have done it, and you can tell they secretly wish they hadnt. I know some of both.

People need to be honest with themselves and decide whether they want to make that kind of sacrifice, and if the potential rewards are worth it TO THEM.

There are many paths to contentment in life. People should know themselves and follow theirs.

I don't know if it's most, but I believe their are plenty of people just going through the motions, deriving their "happiness" from societal expectations.

Weren't you telling me last week that neither couples with or without kids is superior to the other?

Sorta sounds like you don't believe your own hype here.

No, I think my marriage is better without children. The research suggests this is true for most couples, but that doesn't mean all childless couples are superior to those with children.

I love how people tell us that this way is better than that way. It is different, that is all. There is no perfect formula for happiness. If there was, we would all do it.

Can you be happy without kids? Yes.

Can you be more happy with kids? Yes

Can you be less happy with kids? Yes

Etc.

It depends on your situation.

I agree with this, and probably should have toned down my statement. But the premise of the thread implies marriage is kinda meaningless without children, so maybe I was a bit on the defensive.

Mensa, please note, I'll concede that minor point to you. But I still think marriages in general suffer because of children, though the sense of parental love and accomplishment after it's all said and done make it worthwhile for many, if not most.

Good grief. "Better" is not a black and white metric. Are you helpless to have an opinion about something being 'better' than something else in your world?

You say having kids has made your life unquestionably better. If that s true, thats great. For you.

But it isnt true of everyone.

:lol:

Ah. So Mr. "Black and White" demands that the opinion isn't valid until it fits everyone? Mr. "Black and White"?

(Psst): the absolutist requirement of "everyone" is the real person defending the black and white position. You should stop be a hypocrite.

Tell you what, titans. I'll put whatever money you want to fund a pole. Here is the question we'll have to ask to test my hypothesis:

1. Would you eliminate your kids and go back to a childless life if you could?

If married with kids is not superior to married without kids, you'd have a pole which would demonstrate that more would go back than would keep their kids.

Right?

Would you like to admit defeat right now, or would you like to play that one out some more?

Pole time! I absolutely know you're wrong; I'm willing to put money behind it, and you're not going to accept this bet.

Are you arguing something that has nothing to do with what I've posted? To your sentence here, I say...no kidding. Nothing I said challenges that.

Yeah, ok. If you want to actually try to get back to arguing against what I wrote, I'll be around.

Of course the discussion has drifted to happiness and children as I knew it would. All personal decisions and no wrong answers. That said people without children get entrenched in lifestyles that appear incredibly selfish while I suppose the reverse is those of us with kids are probably impossible to deal with because our lives do absolutely revolve around them.

Since children are ultimately a reflection of their parents, it isn't exactly altruistic for parents' lives to revolve around them. I am lucky enough to know many selfless, wonderful people, which includes some with and some without kids (especially my wife, whom you would never acuse of selfishness).

Good grief. "Better" is not a black and white metric. Are you helpless to have an opinion about something being 'better' than something else in your world?

Ah. So Mr. "Black and White" demands that the opinion isn't valid until it fits everyone? Mr. "Black and White"?

(Psst): the absolutist requirement of "everyone" is the real person defending the black and white position. You should stop be a hypocrite.

Tell you what, titans. I'll put whatever money you want to fund a pole. Here is the question we'll have to ask to test my hypothesis:

1. Would you eliminate your kids and go back to a childless life if you could?

If married with kids is not superior to married without kids, you'd have a pole which would demonstrate that more would go back than would keep their kids.

Right?

Would you like to admit defeat right now, or would you like to play that one out some more?

Pole time! I absolutely know you're wrong; I'm willing to put money behind it, and you're not going to accept this bet.

Are you arguing something that has nothing to do with what I've posted? To your sentence here, I say...no kidding. Nothing I said challenges that.

Yeah, ok. If you want to actually try to get back to arguing against what I wrote, I'll be around.

Except the pole question is flawed and so skewed to your point of view it further shows you arrogant attitude in discussions. Carry on. :lol:

You never understand why your condescending, sanctimonious tone is insulting

The irony meter just exploded.

• Like 2

No, I think my marriage is better without children. The research suggests this is true for most couples, but that doesn't mean all childless couples are superior to those with children.

Fair enough, but that's not exactly what you said initially.

I also think this type of research would be heavily skewed by the number of couples who got married due to an unplanned pregnancy. That sort of thing was much more prevelant in previous generations.