Sign in to follow this  
cyclone24

Drafting from the middle....

For those of you drafting in the middle...your 5-9 slots...who are you identifying as a target?

I'm torn on the Julio, Odell vs Shady, Melvin Gordon....WR vs RB spot.

I like going WR, WR, WR if I can. But been reading Rbs had a resurgence last year..so now not sure.

What are you guys doing?

Far more productive WR's then there are productive RBs. Thus, I'd target RB in that spot: Gordon, Shady or maybe Howard, Ajayi.

Gordon in the fifth pick or later would be a great pick up.

Gordon in the fifth round or later would be a great pick up.

I think he is asking about Round 1 in the 5th, 6th or 9th drafting spot. He's not asking about 5th round picks.

Sorry I did say round and I meant pick.

Thank you.

I'm drafting from the 7 spot in my redraft so the mocks I have been doing I'm getting either Freeman or Gordon, if I take a WR it's almost always OBJ

I seem to do the best when I get 3 RBs in the first 5 picks and like going RB/RB first two rounds

QB and WR are both pretty deep so taking a QB later and building the WR spot through depth is a good bet as far as I'm concerned

I'm drafting from the 7 spot in my redraft so the mocks I have been doing I'm getting either Freeman or Gordon, if I take a WR it's almost always OBJ

I seem to do the best when I get 3 RBs in the first 5 picks and like going RB/RB first two rounds

QB and WR are both pretty deep so taking a QB later and building the WR spot through depth is a good bet as far as I'm concerned

True. I'm hoping to go super late on qbs and tes....first 6 picks WRs and rbs in some variation.

Agree with the above post.

Has anyone ever gone with a zero running back approach? I have been tinkering with it and it seems like it could be a viable strategy.

Has anyone ever gone with a zero running back approach? I have been tinkering with it and it seems like it could be a viable strategy.

I think the thing to that strategy is to not just go WR heavy. I have seen people do that they often go overboard drafting WRs, which kind of kills the idea.

I think it's important to get a top notch QB and hopefully TE as well as being strong at WR. That's the only way it works.

I think the thing to that strategy is to not just go WR heavy. I have seen people do that they often go overboard drafting WRs, which kind of kills the idea.

I think it's important to get a top notch QB and hopefully TE as well as being strong at WR. That's the only way it works.

So you have done it then? I am a little hesitant to go through a whole draft without grabbing a rb. I mean, there are always WW rbs that pop up and win champiinships. So I am planning on loading up on receivers to the max, and then right before the season starts I hit up the WW for my backs. I can then just grab the WW gems through the year

Good point polecatt, if you are going to go no Rb you need to be strong else where.

I just couldn't do that.

I think passing on Rbs for a Te or QB early will kill a ff team.

So you have done it then? I am a little hesitant to go through a whole draft without grabbing a rb. I mean, there are always WW rbs that pop up and win champiinships. So I am planning on loading up on receivers to the max, and then right before the season starts I hit up the WW for my backs. I can then just grab the WW gems through the year

Well, not totally avoiding RBs, just setting a late round where you won't draft one before that. Like none before round 8 or 10. Then draft maybe 3 late in the draft. Doesn't work out a whole lot differently than using waivers for them.

Kind of pointless to totally avoid them to only have to go and make a bunch of waiver wire moves before week 1.

Well, not totally avoiding RBs, just setting a late round where you won't draft one before that. Like none before round 8 or 10. Then draft maybe 3 late in the draft. Doesn't work out a whole lot differently than using waivers for them.

Kind of pointless to totally avoid them to only have to go and make a bunch of waiver wire moves before week 1.

But that's why I am creating this strategy and calling it zero running back. Load up on receivers, tight ends and qbs. Which ever perform the best in pre season I keep. I dump the rest for running backs who are about to pop on the waiver wire

But that's why I am creating this strategy and calling it zero running back. Load up on receivers, tight ends and qbs. Which ever perform the best in pre season I keep. I dump the rest for running backs who are about to pop on the waiver wire

Well, in either case I think about the same philosophy applies to the first several picks for the most part and that's the most important ones

Mine is a modified version of what you are saying I guess

I don't know. It sounds to me like you'll be using the late rounds of the draft to select nobodies and then dumping a few of them for nobodies that are running backs.

I don't know. It sounds to me like you'll be using the late rounds of the draft to select nobodies and then dumping a few of them for nobodies that are running backs.

Not if I get the guys who are going to blow up from the waiver wire

I think it might work out in a 10 team league. I'd be hesitant in a 12 team league.

Not if I get the guys who are going to blow up from the waiver wire

Who is that? And how do you keep others from getting these blow up rbs?

:lol:

I...think it's been around for a few years

http://rotoviz.com/2013/11/zero-rb-antifragility-and-the-myth-of-value-based-drafting/

Did I stumble into a thread resurrection???

Zero RB has been around for a long minute and like any strategy it works if you draft the right players.... the ones that play and score.

Who is that? And how do you keep others from getting these blow up rbs?

I keep others from getting them by getting them first

Well, I've done this before. Essentially this is a twist on the zero RB strategy.

it works okay, but it also depends on who else is using the strategy in your draft.

If you are the only one working this strategy, you essentially will end up with Terrence West, Doug Martin and 3 or 4 of the best RB3 players with a chance to become the starter.

If you are the only one running with that strategy, it may work okay, but if there are more than 2 running that strategy it wont work nearly as well as you would like.

you need to make a call based on what everyone else has done because certain options become non viable if the teams ahead of you do certain things.

for example, if you draft at 8 and 6 of the first 8 picks are WR then your zero RB strategy becomes a liability to you. You have to be willing to adjust on the fly based on what the draft gives you.