Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

Best hard liquor on the rocks?

As I grow old (37) I am finding Jameson and Dewars black or blue labels as being the best IMO. Not a big American whiskey fan (even crown) , never liked tequila (though Patron makes for a nice shooter) , not a fan of Jager unless I start to develope a taste for cough syrup , and Vodka and Rum are mixers only pretty much unless you are russian. So far I have only found some Scotch and Irish Whiskey to be smooth enough to be a good sipping hard liqour.

Any other good hard liquors that are good on ice?

Maker's Mark!!! :headbanger: I still call it "Maker's on the mark" because that's how I tried to order it in a bar one time when I had already had a few too many. Needless to say, they cut me off.

Of course, drinking Maker's usually ends in a blackout. :(

Honestly... vodka is about the only thing I can drink straight and enjoy. Martinis baby. :cheers:

Have you ever tried a gin martini? They are way better than vodka martinis. Anything vodka can do, gin can do better.

Have you ever tried a gin martini? They are way better than vodka martinis. Anything vodka can do, gin can do better.

I can't do gin. It probably goes back to an experience in HS I had where we raided my friend's parent's liquor cabinet and I drank (probably extremely cheap) gin straight out of a styrofoam cup and ended up blacking out and throwing up for a few hours. I can't even smell gin without it making me feel sick. I am a huge fan of good vodka straight though.

Aaah yes, that makes sense. Gin straight is the nastiest thing you've ever had in your life. But gin martinis are very good and gin and tonics are just straight sublime (in the summertime anyway). But I understand where you are coming from, I feel similarly about vodka for the same reason. I can drink it, but it still always reminds me a little bit of high school where we drank way too much of that sh!t way too fast, and usually without mixers. :cry:

What are you doing up anyway? Aren't you on the east coast? Isn't it like 3 am there? I am always wierded out by atlantic coast night posters. :unsure:

Aaah yes, that makes sense. Gin straight is the nastiest thing you've ever had in your life. But gin martinis are very good and gin and tonics are just straight sublime (in the summertime anyway). But I understand where you are coming from, I feel similarly about vodka for the same reason. I can drink it, but it still always reminds me a little bit of high school where we drank way too much of that sh!t way too fast, and usually without mixers. :cry:

What are you doing up anyway? Aren't you on the east coast? Isn't it like 3 am there? I am always wierded out by atlantic coast night posters. :unsure:

Just got home from a bar and I was dancing and drinking Captain and diet coke all night so I'm a little wired right now. Need my chill time before I sleep. And I'm actually not very drunk.... just wide awake.

Just got home from a bar and I was dancing and drinking Captain and diet coke all night so I'm a little wired right now. Need my chill time before I sleep. And I'm actually not very drunk.... just wide awake.

Well that makes sense. :cheers: I was out at a bar earlier but the scene wasn't that cool so I came home and drank myself into a little bit of a stupor while watching the movie Body Double. Focked up Brian DePalma flick, gets me every time. It's only 11 pm here but feels like much later because it's been dark for about 8 hours now.

Well that makes sense. :cheers: I was out at a bar earlier but the scene wasn't that cool so I came home and drank myself into a little bit of a stupor while watching the movie Body Double. Focked up Brian DePalma flick, gets me every time. It's only 11 pm here but feels like much later because it's been dark for about 8 hours now.

You live in Alaska?????

Yeah, I do right now anyway. Most beautiful state you'd ever see, but man the winters can be wicked. I got out for a nice vacation around the holidays and I'm already feeling the itch to leave again. BUT it is much more socially acceptable to hit the bottle here than anywhere else I've ever been. So it's got that going for it. Plus there aren't way too damn many people. I get a huge kick out of big cities but eventually I'd just rather be left the hell alone for a bit. Have you always lived over there on the eastern seaboard?

Yeah, I do right now anyway. Most beautiful state you'd ever see, but man the winters can be wicked. I got out for a nice vacation around the holidays and I'm already feeling the itch to leave again. BUT it is much more socially acceptable to hit the bottle here than anywhere else I've ever been. So it's got that going for it. Plus there aren't way too damn many people. I get a huge kick out of big cities but eventually I'd just rather be left the hell alone for a bit. Have you always lived over there on the eastern seaboard?

Holy shiit. Alaska is one of the few states I've never been to. I would love to go there someday, but definitely in summer. I'm sure it's beautiful, but holy effing christ.... I can't imagine living there in the winter. I won't leave my house if it hits 20 degrees here. One of my friends just moved there from Florida and I was like "Are you sure you know what you are getting into?" On the bright side, the eskimo women are probably pretty eager to meet men to keep them warm. You should post pictures. You probably have some really cool scenery.

I've always lived on the East Coast. But I travel a lot for my job so I've been all over the country. You haven't lived until you have spent a month in Paris, TX. True story.

I am always wierded out by atlantic coast night posters. :unsure:

East Coast > West Coast.

I get wierded out by people that have worms.

I'm spoiled I have a vendor that gives me a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label every other month or so. Good sipping stuff.

But my all time enjoying liquor is JD. Enjoy the taste to the fullest.

What sucks is in my old age beer is pretty much like water as far as getting any sort of buzz. Same with most mixed drinks unless I order doubles (I do like Grey Goose/Red Bulls). I remember the good ole days when a 12 pack would have me focked up. I had to find a good hard liquor and I think right now Jameson is my drink of choice. Tried the American Whiskey's and to be honest while I like Jack/Crown and coke's drinking them straight only Crown is bearable to me.

I like Johnny Walker - Black :bandana:

Jim Beam Red Stag is not too bad at all. It's similar to blackberry brandy, with a bit more punch.

Aslo,

Rumplemintz on the rocks is a great sipping "tea" in the winter!

I like crown on the rocks, but any bourbon or single malt will do!

I don't know if any drink is smoother/better than crown on the rocks, but I would say Johnnie Walker Blue label is damned close. :thumbsup:

What sucks is in my old age beer is pretty much like water as far as getting any sort of buzz. Same with most mixed drinks unless I order doubles (I do like Grey Goose/Red Bulls). I remember the good ole days when a 12 pack would have me focked up. I had to find a good hard liquor and I think right now Jameson is my drink of choice. Tried the American Whiskey's and to be honest while I like Jack/Crown and coke's drinking them straight only Crown is bearable to me.

Leaving Las Vegas was a good movie, not a good lifestyle choice.

Also, Crown on the Rocks for me to answer your question.

Knob Creek kicks ass. I like to alternate that with Makers.

There's one I think is new called 41 or something, and it might just beat them all. It's less expensive, smoother and tastes great. I can drink that sh!t all night.