Sign in to follow this  
Groundhog

***The Official 2015 Seattle Seahawks Offseason Thread***

I just wish they would install a little bit of "Balt (Ozzy)" draft style. This would also make Phillybear happy I bet. Get those value picks-ranked guys that dropped late in the draft (And even early on).

Ain't that the truth. Maybe a hybrid draft style using elements of both styles.

If feels like Frank Clark was a panic pick. Given all the coverage for picking a guy with a dubious past, who else would have taken him that early other than Dallas? La'el Collins didn't get drafted, and he was a top 15 player. It feels like Seattle was counting on taking somebody else, they got swiped, and then reached for Clark instead of taking him in the 3rd or 4th. That sets up a domino effect, since now you have to keep reaching for players. You give up a fockload of draft capital to move up for Lockette. You reach a round early for O Linemen. And so forth, down the road.That is not a B or better grade draft, to me at least.

I'll be happy to eat crow, since I haven't had to eat much in quite some time and I get a hankering for it. Take a step back, people. A 3rd round WR is not the savior. He might be the 30th best WR in the past 2 drafts combined. He's not a 1st round starting WR. He's a special team player that might participate in a trick play or two a game on offense.

Ain't that the truth. Maybe a hybrid draft style using elements of both styles.

If feels like Frank Clark was a panic pick. Given all the coverage for picking a guy with a dubious past, who else would have taken him that early other than Dallas? La'el Collins didn't get drafted, and he was a top 15 player. It feels like Seattle was counting on taking somebody else, they got swiped, and then reached for Clark instead of taking him in the 3rd or 4th. That sets up a domino effect, since now you have to keep reaching for players. You give up a fockload of draft capital to move up for Lockette. You reach a round early for O Linemen. And so forth, down the road.That is not a B or better grade draft, to me at least.

I'll be happy to eat crow, since I haven't had to eat much in quite some time and I get a hankering for it. Take a step back, people. A 3rd round WR is not the savior. He might be the 30th best WR in the past 2 drafts combined. He's not a 1st round starting WR. He's a special team player that might participate in a trick play or two a game on offense.

Well - We agree about the Balt thing. A hybrid style between the two methods would be oh so sweet.

I don't know how you can panic when you had the entire first day to sit back and form a plan? I'm sure their board is bigger then a few guy's.

Maybe they did have a Olineman on top their board that got took (Maybe my guy that NE took) but, I'm pretty sure Clark was high up there if not there top choice even.

Besides, if they were in panic mode they would have just took Lockett there... THEN, they keep all the draft picks to start over on what's next.

They clearly wanted Clark first - BUT, also wanted Lockett. I bet they battled between the two picks.

So they gave the farm to go make sure they get BOTH. I'm fine with that if their evaluations say he's a can't miss prospect.

Also, BOTH picks were done super fast. Way before the timer was up. So, I think your completely wrong that panic was an issue.

That being said, DE's were flying off the board fast and often. They probably had a first round grade on Clark (but off field issues mark on him)

But, with what was left and nobody near him - They made him the pick. I would put a first round grade on him if you minus the off field stuff.

R. Wilson was also a 3rd round pick and to some people out of the top tier by a wide margine. Lockett could be great too!

But, he'll at least do a lot for this team. We don't need a savior at WR. We need somebody that can get open often, stretch the field which I think he can do now after re-looking at more tape, and improve Special teams, which by itself is way more important then your giving credit for. If our special teams goes from worst to first that is huge.

Not to mention the trick plays, screens, and just a 3rd down guy, slot guy, and to eventually replace Baldwin.

It didn't have to be a panic move as far as the pick just before them was the guy they wanted. Maybe it was 5 picks before. They didn't want to trade back since they had 11 picks. They then took Clark a bit early. All I'm saying is the off the field stuff in the NFL right now is a scarlet letter. Players values drop very far. I dunno. Just speculating. I don't think Clark has first round talent, but he's not bad. He could work out in the end.

I think I'm worried the front office leaned nothing from the Girl's Name selection in the 2nd round.

John Schneider Snow, you know nothing. :wall: <-- The Wall

It didn't have to be a panic move as far as the pick just before them was the guy they wanted. Maybe it was 5 picks before. They didn't want to trade back since they had 11 picks. They then took Clark a bit early. All I'm saying is the off the field stuff in the NFL right now is a scarlet letter. Players values drop very far. I dunno. Just speculating. I don't think Clark has first round talent, but he's not bad. He could work out in the end.

I think I'm worried the front office leaned nothing from the Girl's Name selection in the 2nd round.

John Schneider Snow, you know nothing. :wall: <-- The Wall

Well, all I know is that I would have rated Clark way over Irvin. And we took Irvin in the first round.

Clark can be an NFL everydown DE. He holds up in run support and point of attack. He's way bigger coming out then Irvin was. He also shows some great moves and even a bit of speed. But, most of all he's diverse in every aspect. Power rush, Edge and speed rush, etc.

But, being able to hold the end up is clearly better then Irvin who never showed he could do it. I like what I see on tape anyway.

Of course he's got the off field issues to deal with. The only thing I can say about that is in his interviews he sounds very intelegent and not thugish. Doesn't sound like an idiot like Irvin. I think he can grow. And without the off field stuff then I'm pretty sure he would have been a 1st round pick or early 2nd. We wouldn't have got him!

Russell Wilson's contract negotiations. Not so good.

Rumor has it that Russ wants to be the highest paid player in the history of the league BY A WIDE MARGIN. Now maybe this is his agent just anchoring high, but if this is really coming from Wilson, then this whole 'Go Hawks' rah-rah stuff feels like a sham. Asking to be the highest paid guy by a wide margin in a salary cap world is indirectly asking for insufficient support around him. That means lower odds of winning a 2nd championship. We're not all so naive to think that money isn't a major part of the discussion, but with him, I got the sense it mattered less than for most.

If he refuses to re-sign, or asks for a number so high that the Hawks have no choice but to reject, he may roll the dice and play out his final year. At that point, the Hawks can slap the exclusive franchise tag on him. They can do this multiple times, but the cap hit snowballs each time.

The avg. of the 5 highest paid QBs for 2015 is about $22 million. Assuming the typical $10 million per year uptick in cap for 2016, the QB franchise tag in 2016 is probably $23.5 million. Now if that's accurate, and if we're forced to use the franchise tag repeatedly, this is what the next three years look like for Russell Wilson:

2016: $23.5 million

2017: $28.2 million (+20%) - by rule

2018: $40.7 million (+44%) - by rule

That's an absurd amount of money. To put it another way, assuming the total cap rises by $10 million per year, this is how much would be left for the other 52 guys/dead money:

2016: 85%

2017: 82%

2018: 76%

That is a recipe for disaster. This year, the Saints have the distinction of spending the most on a QB (Brees: $28 million) which means the Saints are spending 80% of their cap on everyone except Brees. By 2018 we would be in worse shape than the Saints are this year, which is basically a salary cap train wreck. In 2015, the Hawks will spend 1.2% of their cap on their starting QB.

By the end of the 2017 season, Russell Wilson will be 29 years old. Heading into the 2018 season, he won't be that far removed from the peak of his athletic abilities. A long-term contract, say 5 yrs, is very doable. Someone will give him a huge contract and gladly give up the two 1st rd picks to get him. And Russell and his agent know all this.

So here's the question: if you're John Schneider, staring down the gun barrel of possibly the first $40 million per year contract in three years time, what's it worth to you to head that off at the pass? Five years, $150 million?

Ultimately, whether JS can come to agreement with Wilson may depend on how fast JS thinks the cap will grow. If he thinks it grows a lot, then a big contract today won't seem so large in a few years. But if he thinks the cap growth starts to decelerate? Look out.

Russell Wilson's contract negotiations. Not so good.

Rumor has it that Russ wants to be the highest paid player in the history of the league BY A WIDE MARGIN. Now maybe this is his agent just anchoring high, but if this is really coming from Wilson, then this whole 'Go Hawks' rah-rah stuff feels like a sham. Asking to be the highest paid guy by a wide margin in a salary cap world is indirectly asking for insufficient support around him. That means lower odds of winning a 2nd championship. We're not all so naive to think that money isn't a major part of the discussion, but with him, I got the sense it mattered less than for most.

If he refuses to re-sign, or asks for a number so high that the Hawks have no choice but to reject, he may roll the dice and play out his final year. At that point, the Hawks can slap the exclusive franchise tag on him. They can do this multiple times, but the cap hit snowballs each time.

The avg. of the 5 highest paid QBs for 2015 is about $22 million. Assuming the typical $10 million per year uptick in cap for 2016, the QB franchise tag in 2016 is probably $23.5 million. Now if that's accurate, and if we're forced to use the franchise tag repeatedly, this is what the next three years look like for Russell Wilson:

2016: $23.5 million

2017: $28.2 million (+20%) - by rule

2018: $40.7 million (+44%) - by rule

That's an absurd amount of money. To put it another way, assuming the total cap rises by $10 million per year, this is how much would be left for the other 52 guys/dead money:

2016: 85%

2017: 82%

2018: 76%

That is a recipe for disaster. This year, the Saints have the distinction of spending the most on a QB (Brees: $28 million) which means the Saints are spending 80% of their cap on everyone except Brees. By 2018 we would be in worse shape than the Saints are this year, which is basically a salary cap train wreck. In 2015, the Hawks will spend 1.2% of their cap on their starting QB.

By the end of the 2017 season, Russell Wilson will be 29 years old. Heading into the 2018 season, he won't be that far removed from the peak of his athletic abilities. A long-term contract, say 5 yrs, is very doable. Someone will give him a huge contract and gladly give up the two 1st rd picks to get him. And Russell and his agent know all this.

So here's the question: if you're John Schneider, staring down the gun barrel of possibly the first $40 million per year contract in three years time, what's it worth to you to head that off at the pass? Five years, $150 million?

Ultimately, whether JS can come to agreement with Wilson may depend on how fast JS thinks the cap will grow. If he thinks it grows a lot, then a big contract today won't seem so large in a few years. But if he thinks the cap growth starts to decelerate? Look out.

And here i was hoping a home town, rah rah seatle discount. We'd get him at 18 mil a year or so.

Honestly, I am suprised we didnt trade him. We could have gotten every draft pick from a team for the next 2 years for him.

But life goes on. Our O line cant protect a pocket passer, so we better pay the man.

Honestly, I am suprised we didnt trade him. We could have gotten every draft pick from a team for the next 2 years for him.

But life goes on. Our O line cant protect a pocket passer, so we better pay the man.

If you think about how much draft capital gets wasted on high-end QBs who never pan out, having all those picks in exchange is no guarantee of success. Look at St. Louis. Tons of picks from the RG III deal and they still can't field a decent offensive line or a deep threat WR. Their defense is very tough, but they're no closer to a title than a lot of teams. Maybe Foles and Gurley gives them a semblance of an offensive threat now, but that's a wait-and-see.

A whole month without anybody posting? Shocking.

Well, there is pretty much zero chance of getting a Russell Wilson contract done until next year. Zero. Both sides are amicable, but this d!ckhead agent of Wilson's is a baseball guy, who typically does not restructure nor extend contracts. He lets them lapse and gambles that he can make more for his client. Maybe, maybe not. We will be franchise tagging Wilson for the next two years, paying him the same amount of money whether he had given him an extension or not. Wilson is losing out on a signing bonus upfront money, but he has ad revenue rolling in. It's a big distraction because you will have to deal with this crap every offseason for a while, instead of putting it aside and doing other stuff.

On the other hand, great news in that Tarvaris Jackson finally resigned. Considering that a practice squad guy was the #2, and yet again nobody was drafted to develop, this was one of the most important signings of the off season.

I'm shocked at how relatively healthy Sherman, Thomas, and chancellor are, considering the horrific nature of their injuries sustained during the playoff run.

I had expressed my frustration at the draft and not drafting a WR that can contribute this year. Apparently, Chris Matthews is the #3 right now and big things are expected of him. I've mentioned previously that Matthews might be forced into being the most important player on offense this year. This seems to be the plan. I am cautiously optimistic, but it's risky to put so much expectations on our unproven big WR.

Bobby Wagner is going to get extended shortly, since Wilson is a no go. Plenty of money left under the cap. Could bank a lot of it for next season, or look around for some veterans to help fill out the roster here and there. We are past the compensation point of free agency.

Is there anybody on SF that didn't retire this year? Harbaugh gone, SF is a mess....this rivalry was on fire for a couple of seasons and now may have flamed out for the time being. Of course, the Cards and Rams are going to be d!cks. The Rams in particular. I'm not sure that the Rams aren't the most talented team in the division. Stupid Chip giving them Foles. Totally screwed us.

Cary Williams is chirping about how the Eagles regularly got outcoached, outphysically, and outplayed. Eagles fans are calling him a bust, ignoring his time with Baltimore and not blaming the Eagles awful defense in general. I recall writing on several occasions about that Eagles Seahawks game last year. The Seahawks players after the game said that the Eagles play calling lacked imagination and it was easy to figure out what they were doing. Seems that Chip Kelly's reputation is not as deserving as one might think. Not that the Seahawks can take that many shots at him. At the one yard line, all you have to do is give the ball to Lynch....sigh....

A whole month without anybody posting? Shocking.

Well, there is pretty much zero chance of getting a Russell Wilson contract done until next year. Zero. Both sides are amicable, but this d!ckhead agent of Wilson's is a baseball guy, who typically does not restructure nor extend contracts. He lets them lapse and gambles that he can make more for his client. Maybe, maybe not. We will be franchise tagging Wilson for the next two years, paying him the same amount of money whether he had given him an extension or not. Wilson is losing out on a signing bonus upfront money, but he has ad revenue rolling in. It's a big distraction because you will have to deal with this crap every offseason for a while, instead of putting it aside and doing other stuff.

On the other hand, great news in that Tarvaris Jackson finally resigned. Considering that a practice squad guy was the #2, and yet again nobody was drafted to develop, this was one of the most important signings of the off season.

I'm shocked at how relatively healthy Sherman, Thomas, and chancellor are, considering the horrific nature of their injuries sustained during the playoff run.

I had expressed my frustration at the draft and not drafting a WR that can contribute this year. Apparently, Chris Matthews is the #3 right now and big things are expected of him. I've mentioned previously that Matthews might be forced into being the most important player on offense this year. This seems to be the plan. I am cautiously optimistic, but it's risky to put so much expectations on our unproven big WR.

Bobby Wagner is going to get extended shortly, since Wilson is a no go. Plenty of money left under the cap. Could bank a lot of it for next season, or look around for some veterans to help fill out the roster here and there. We are past the compensation point of free agency.

Is there anybody on SF that didn't retire this year? Harbaugh gone, SF is a mess....this rivalry was on fire for a couple of seasons and now may have flamed out for the time being. Of course, the Cards and Rams are going to be d!cks. The Rams in particular. I'm not sure that the Rams aren't the most talented team in the division. Stupid Chip giving them Foles. Totally screwed us.

Cary Williams is chirping about how the Eagles regularly got outcoached, outphysically, and outplayed. Eagles fans are calling him a bust, ignoring his time with Baltimore and not blaming the Eagles awful defense in general. I recall writing on several occasions about that Eagles Seahawks game last year. The Seahawks players after the game said that the Eagles play calling lacked imagination and it was easy to figure out what they were doing. Seems that Chip Kelly's reputation is not as deserving as one might think. Not that the Seahawks can take that many shots at him. At the one yard line, all you have to do is give the ball to Lynch....sigh....

Youre excited they signed tarvaris jackson? Thats depressing. Plus the seahawks drafted tyler lockett who could be a solid receiver for the team.

Youre excited they signed tarvaris jackson? Thats depressing. Plus the seahawks drafted tyler lockett who could be a solid receiver for the team.

Never underestimate the value of a veteran backup QB that knows every detail of your playbook and is well liked in the locker room. If we don't sign Jackson, RJ Archer is our #2. Who? Exactly.

Lockett will barely see any WR action this year, IMO. Carroll talks non stop about Lockett returning kicks and never brings up him getting time at WR. He might come in for a specific package, but that's about all I can see. Carroll rarely trusts rookie WRs.

That depends , Carroll does want playmakers and Lockett is just that . He could be what Carroll tried to get from Harvin . Don't ever underestimate the power of playmaking ability.

Could do worse than T jax, but hes def not good. Good to have a guy that knows the team tho.

The point Philly was trying to make is. Obviously if Wilson ever went down, we're potentally f'd. But if Tjax ever had to come in for the rest of a game, or even just steer the ship for a couple games, then we'd still be Ok.

That depends , Carroll does want playmakers and Lockett is just that . He could be what Carroll tried to get from Harvin . Don't ever underestimate the power of playmaking ability.

My guess would be probably 2 or 3 quick screens and maybe 1 downfield shot per game to start off with. Depending on his and other recievers health, as well as his production on that limited basis. It could grow into something more.

I'm all for that Wagner signing. What do you think. Probably about 8 mil a yer sounds like his market. I'd also personally like to see them extend Sweezy also. I'm Ok with letting Okung go after this year. I like the guy, But not enough to pay him what that position would call for.

I'm all for that Wagner signing. What do you think. Probably about 8 mil a yer sounds like his market. I'd also personally like to see them extend Sweezy also. I'm Ok with letting Okung go after this year. I like the guy, But not enough to pay him what that position would call for.

Wagner is probably going to get 10 mil per. I like Sweezey.

Okung is an interesting case. Since Bailey as the new LG, I don't feel confortable with anyone else on the roster pass protecting Wilson's blind side. It's not the money I'm worried about, since I don't think Okung will price himself out of range due to his injuries. Does the staff think his body is falling apart or not? Cable basically came right out and said that Unger's body was failing him, so they had no issue with parting with him in the Graham trade. Hey, I wish Unger the best, but what can you do? Is Okung in the same situation? Answer that question, and every other domino falls into place after that.

Could do worse than T jax, but hes def not good. Good to have a guy that knows the team tho.

He's been running the same system since his days in Minnesota. He's been in Bevell's offensive system forever.

I'm not saying T Jax is a good QB necessarily. But he's been in film sessions with Wilson for 3+ years now. If you can't learn from those situations, then you got a head full of pudding. We haven't seen Jackson play the past 3 seasons, so I'm curious what he's learned in that time. He didn't look good in Minnesota and was mediocre in his only year starting in Seattle with no training camp practice in that lock out year.

Also, the Seahawks are going to run the ball 55% of the time, so he isn't going to have to be Superman. Just a little bit better than competent. I honestly think Tarvaris Jackson is one of the best backup QBs in the league, and might be better than a few starters. There is a lot of crap out there.

Love the T. Jackson signing. I agree, that he gives us some depth and could plug and play 1-4 games easily. Vet leadership and knows us well.

He could be a very managable QB for us if needed. Plus he's kind of "our guy" and been with us from the beginning of our run.

I agree about Wagner. I want his deal done! Sooner the better. I think it will be somewhere between 8-10 too. He's the last part of our Def puzzle that we must sign.

Sweezy would be my fav. Oline to resign, but he's a non-issue until R. Wilson gets done.

Same with Okung or any lineman.

I think Okung is not at the Unger level yet, but he's also not worth the money with his injury history.

Full focus on Wager & Wilson! Both must be re-signed. Everybody else can wait or take a back seat to those two.

R. Wilson to me is a must and it had BETTER get done at some point. I'm sure it will.

Trouble for the Hawks of they need use their back up Qb .

Trouble for the Hawks of they need use their back up Qb .

Trouble for playoffs - Yes

But we could skate by 1-5 games with T. Jackson - And allow a sprained ankle by R. Wilson to heal or whatever. (Or back for playoffs type of deal)

T. Jackson can go .500 or 3-2 in a 5 game stretch and would not kill us.

The QB we had as backup before would maybe go 0-5 though. Done.

Our Def and running game would step up, and with T. Jackson be a decent team still. Not championship caliber, but "skate by" just fine.

Good signing. Better then Vick. Probably cheaper and knows our system and team well. The guy's would get behind T. Jackson.

The Eagles just cut their outstanding OG Evan Mathis due to money dispute. Interesting.

Hey, if Wilson' new contract isn't going to get done this off season, just saying...interesting.

Trouble for playoffs - Yes

But we could skate by 1-5 games with T. Jackson - And allow a sprained ankle by R. Wilson to heal or whatever. (Or back for playoffs type of deal)

T. Jackson can go .500 or 3-2 in a 5 game stretch and would not kill us.

The QB we had as backup before would maybe go 0-5 though. Done.

Our Def and running game would step up, and with T. Jackson be a decent team still. Not championship caliber, but "skate by" just fine.

Good signing. Better then Vick. Probably cheaper and knows our system and team well. The guy's would get behind T. Jackson.

Like I said , they will be in trouble if they need to use T Jackson . Just like all teams the level of play at the Qb postion goes down when the back up Qb needs to replace the starter . You just said it yourself not a championship caliber team . So we agree then . Thank you now carry on .

Man am I enjoying watching Petey fawk this team up. He does it with everything he touches. I'm not a Seahawks basher. I just can't stand him. His arrogance and the way he destroyed USC and put them back couldn't happen to a better a-hole now. And he's continuing his path of excellence. Love it.

Sign Wilson and be done with it. But no way he Petey allows a star player to dictate his way. I hope he signs him for the franchise. I hope he keeps telling his star players they have to earn their jobs. In two years you're going to see a mass exodus of Seahawks players telling him to go fawk himself and leaving. Nobody wants to play for a d!ck like him under those coaching rules.

He still believes that you can coach players the way he did in college and excell. Keep doing it snapper head.

I'd be concerned if I was a Seahawks can shaking old last twelfth Bruce Jenner man/woman. He's Fawking that team up from the inside. Love it. His three stars are on one year extended contracts. That's how you keep it together Petey. Sad.

What does Pete have to do with paying Wilson?

I think he threw back a few too many Sazeracs last night. I thought about responding, but it would have taken way, way too long.

What does Pete have to do with paying Wilson?

Hey Mr. Owner and General Manager, can you please make sure you pay this guy and not franchise him and risk losing one of the few good QB's in the league. Thank you.- Petey The Sh!thead

Man am I enjoying watching Petey fawk this team up. He does it with everything he touches. I'm not a Seahawks basher. I just can't stand him. His arrogance and the way he destroyed USC and put them back couldn't happen to a better a-hole now. And he's continuing his path of excellence. Love it.

Sign Wilson and be done with it. But no way he Petey allows a star player to dictate his way. I hope he signs him for the franchise. I hope he keeps telling his star players they have to earn their jobs. In two years you're going to see a mass exodus of Seahawks players telling him to go fawk himself and leaving. Nobody wants to play for a d!ck like him under those coaching rules.

He still believes that you can coach players the way he did in college and excell. Keep doing it snapper head.

I'd be concerned if I was a Seahawks can shaking old last twelfth Bruce Jenner man/woman. He's Fawking that team up from the inside. Love it. His three stars are on one year extended contracts. That's how you keep it together Petey. Sad.

USC sucked. Carroll came in, won two titles. Left. USC sucks again.

Seattle sucked post Holmgren. Carroll and Schneider come in. Won a Superbowl in their 4th year, lost the back to back on last play of game.

Carroll was recently voted as the #1 coach in the NFL that players around the league would want to play for the most. A number of players have signed below market value contracts just to stay in Seattle.

As soon as Bobby Wagner is extended any day now, just about every starter on the defense is signed for the next 3 seasons at least. Where is this mass exodus coming from? Wilson is negotiating, Lynch just signed a 3 year extension. Jimmy Graham has another 3 years to go.

I'm not saying Pete Carroll is a great X and O guy. Great assistant coaches and he brings in smart players. But he is a master motivator and the players love to play hard for him. He does a great job in the end.

USC sucked. Carroll came in, won two titles. Left. USC sucks again.

Seattle sucked post Holmgren. Carroll and Schneider come in. Won a Superbowl in their 4th year, lost the back to back on last play of game.

Carroll was recently voted as the #1 coach in the NFL that players around the league would want to play for the most. A number of players have signed below market value contracts just to stay in Seattle.

As soon as Bobby Wagner is extended any day now, just about every starter on the defense is signed for the next 3 seasons at least. Where is this mass exodus coming from? Wilson is negotiating, Lynch just signed a 3 year extension. Jimmy Graham has another 3 years to go.

I'm not saying Pete Carroll is a great X and O guy. Great assistant coaches and he brings in smart players. But he is a master motivator and the players love to play hard for him. He does a great job in the end.

I wish Pete Carroll was my dad.

I wish Pete Carroll was my dad.

Awesome

Not much has changed in the past two months. Well, given that Wilson is unlikely to get extended, there is plenty of cap room to grab some veteran guys looking to compete for a ring. Like Reggie Wayne or Dwight Freeney, specifically. Maybe Ray Rice?

Just throwing this out there for discussion: are we certain that Wilson actually WANTS to stay in Seattle? The guy who says go-hawks everywhere he goes, isn't happy with an average of $21 million per year. Maybe he's asking for something so high, he knows the team has to balk? He seems like a smart enough guy that the agent isn't running a game that Wilson isn't aware of. Or, maybe all of this is just standard anchoring-high so you can extract as much as possible. I dunno.

Just throwing this out there for discussion: are we certain that Wilson actually WANTS to stay in Seattle? The guy who says go-hawks everywhere he goes, isn't happy with an average of $21 million per year. Maybe he's asking for something so high, he knows the team has to balk? He seems like a smart enough guy that the agent isn't running a game that Wilson isn't aware of. Or, maybe all of this is just standard anchoring-high so you can extract as much as possible. I dunno.

I heard the 21 mil a year also. What I didn't hear was the number of years. Seattle was offering.4 years, and he wanted longer. They also only offered him 20 mil in signing bonus money. So I look at it 2 ways. If the deal is 4 years 84 mil and 20 in a signing bonus, then I actually agree with him. No not from a poor white guy like me, but from a young top tier qb who wants to get paid.

Now on the other side of things. If they offer a 5 year deal, 105 mil and they guarantee 50 mil. And he says no, then yes, their could be something we don't know. Maybe he's not the guy we thought he was, or he doesn't want to stay, whatever.

At any case, now that we know he won't get done ( he said nothing would happen once camp started) . Let's extend both Wagner and Sweezey and go from there. Worst case scenario with Wilson, we franchise him 2 years in a row, and keep fighting over a potential deal.

It's been a while, but you guys still suck.

:overhead:

Wilson extended, Wagner extended. Hell of a weekend. Still have cap room left over.

Nearly the entire starting defense signed for the next 3 years, Lynch and Graham and Wilson good for several years. Sigh of relief.

I had not realized that we get 10 million in dead money cap relief from Percy Harvin next season. Toss in the cap going up by 30+ million the next few years. Schneider is amazing.

That Harvin money will come in handy in possibly resigning a veteran next off season (Okung, Sweezey, Mebane, Irvin), based on their performance, future outlook, and having a backup ready to step in.

• Like 1

Well, the fallout begins, I guess. Starting DT Tony McDaniel cut.

Dude may have been the biggest human on the team. Just huge. He was by far a better run stuffer than pass generating presence. But, truth be told, he played much better when we signed him two years ago. Last year, he was invisible most of the year. Which is startling, considering we lost Mebane and Hill to injuries, not to mention like 2 or 3 other guys we brought in to play the middle and they all got hurt. McDaniel was not seen nor heard. Bennett still rotates into the middle on certain packages, but DT was not a position of strength considering Mebane and Hill are coming off season ending injuries and there are many other question marks at the position. We did not NEED to cut McDaniel. I think this was more of a luxury cut. I suspect the team must like what they see of the bodies in camp at DT, mostly guys coming in off those injuries, and may be looking at adding veterans elsewhere. The most troubling part is that the 2 starters at DT at the end of the year last season were Kevin Williams and Tony McDaniel and both are now gone. The new guy we signed from Cleveland, Rubin, I guess is an immediate starter rather than rotation 3rd DT.

For what its worth. I always loved Rubin in cleveland.

The wild weekend madness continues.

Trade made for Mohammed Seisay, CB, from the Detroit Lions. Rumored to be for a 6th round pick. Echoes of the trade for Marcus Burley last off season. I guess they didn't like what they were seeing from the secondary with so many starters still injured. Seisay is extremely versatile and is able to play outside, both sides, and the slot. Fits the Seahawk CB profile in that he is tall, athletic, and has a big wingspan. I have a strong feeling his versatility is the key.