Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

self-driving cars and legal liability

If you guys choose to remember, I did a post about the legal ramifications That were soon to develop With cars making decisions on the road That could potentially lead to death And or injury.Of course , The bottom feeder mindset around here was more worried about Trump And Hillary et al ad nauseum.

So now, it has happened. A self-driving Tesla Ended up in a fatality For the occupant of the vehicle.

It doesn't take a psychic to figure this out. Every time we come up with new technology, The law both criminal and civil Is decades behind the innovation of Technology.

What happens when a car That purports to avoid collisions Runs over A little girl who runs out in front of its sensors? On the other hand, what happens When a car stopped short And it's minor occupant Slammed her head into the windshield?

As I predicted, we are headed for a whole new era of jurisprudence And civil litigation.

But hey, Feel free to keep rising to the bait Of the sanctuary refugees Looking for attention from their Tumbleweed board And the attention trolls Who know nothing but politics And Petty bickering.

It's an interesting topic. I'd wager autonomous driving cars are far safer than their human counterparts, but no system is perfect. Tesla is at the forefront of the technology, with plans to include autopilot as a standard feature in all their vehicles. Wonder what changes they'll make after the government investigation is complete?

You would think that adding the liability would be enough for car manufacturers to shy away from this technology. Can they potentially be blamed for every accident? It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

If you guys choose to remember, I did a post about the legal ramifications That were soon to develop With cars making decisions on the road That could potentially lead to death And or injury.Of course , The bottom feeder mindset around here was more worried about Trump And Hillary et al ad nauseum.

So now, it has happened. A self-driving Tesla Ended up in a fatality For the occupant of the vehicle.

It doesn't take a psychic to figure this out. Every time we come up with new technology, The law both criminal and civil Is decades behind the innovation of Technology.

What happens when a car That purports to avoid collisions Runs over A little girl who runs out in front of its sensors? On the other hand, what happens When a car stopped short And it's minor occupant Slammed her head into the windshield?

As I predicted, we are headed for a whole new era of jurisprudence And civil litigation.

But hey, Feel free to keep rising to the bait Of the sanctuary refugees Looking for attention from their Tumbleweed board And the attention ###### trolls Who know nothing but politics And Petty bickering.

Thank god you weren't patronizing in your "I told you so" post.

The driver of the Tesla was watching a Harry Potter Movie. The cars drove under a white semi which the car failed to pick up against the bright sky per Tesla.

One person died on the second Wright Brother fight the is a price for progress

That's a good question. At first blush it seems like all liability would be on the manufacturer but clearly that would be too big a burden to bear.

Traditionally liability would be on the driver, of course, but the driver has to be negligent. How is a driver negligent if they are just letting the car drive itself? Maybe in some scenarios you would be negligent for failing to take over the controls but many accidents are split-second type things where that may not be feasible. As a matter of practicality you would still always sue the manufacturer as well as the driver because the driver will always claim it was the vehicle's fault.

My prediction: we go away from a negligence-based standard and everyone is required to carry insurance that will pay regardless of fault. Problem is then you have to figure out how to deal with fraud.

Either that or immunity for manufacturers of self-driving vehicles but then they have zero legal incentive to increase safety, and a lot of MVA victims would be completely SOL.