Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**2018 Masters Thread**

The opening tee shot for the Masters is now just one month away, so Masters 2018 will soon be upon us...for a few of us, it is just about our favorite sports weekend of the year. For most, probably not, but still a weekend of interest. Here are my initial top ten favorites for this year as has been done for several years now. List may change a bit leading up to the event. Should be a great tournament!

Top Ten:

1. Jason Day- Looked sharp in his two starts this year so far and I've always thought his game and Augusta were a spot on match. Assuming he looks solid at the API and Match Play, definitely my pick to win this year.

2. Bubba Watson- Everything looks good right now for the enigmatic Watson. When it comes down to gut feel as to who will win, his name has been steadily rising in my thinking for weeks. Time to put the ranking where the brain is.

3. Tommy Fleetwood- If Fleetwood doesn't win a major in the two years that remain in this decade, it will be a surprise to me. Game is well suited for majors and just seems to have the "it" factor. I look for him to emerge as third best in April.

4. Justin Thomas- Can't/Won't leave Thomas out of my top three despite the fact that I think this may end up being the hardest major for him to win. Kid has potential to win anywhere, anytime and could be world's #1 player by the end of March

5. Phil Mickelson- Easily the sharpest stretch of golf we've seen from Phil since 2013. Impossible to leave him out of my top five after watching what he did in Mexico.

6. Rory McIlroy- The awesome display of skill that was his final day at Bay Hill served as a reminder of what he's capable of. Could certainly struggle, but is also as safe a bet as any to contend deep into Sunday.

7. Justin Rose- Rose will be a popular pick to win after so many close calls, but recent form concerns me after an absolutely torrid stretch of golf last fall. May have peaked at the wrong time of year to do so.

8. Dustin Johnson- Probably have DJ ranked too low and a 4-shot victory at Augusta would not surprise me in the least. Still, his game doesn't look razor sharp and as such, I think top ten is the more likely outcome for world's top player.

9. Jordan Spieth- Tremendous history at the Masters in just four years playing, but he's just not sharp coming in. If he finds something between now and April 5th, this ranking will improve.

10. Kevin Chappell- Quietly played great at Augusta last year. Good fit for the course and gaining experience in big tournaments.

Players outside of my top ten who still have a very legitimate shot at winning: Sergio Garcia, Marc Leishman, Rickie Fowler, Paul Casey, Hideki Matsuyama, Gary Woodland, Brian Harman, Tony Finau, Jon Rahm, Alex Noren, Tiger Woods, Rafael Cabrera-Bello.

Highly ranked players who are off to slow start in 2018, but could catch lightning in a bottle for a week: Charl Schwartzel, Henrik Stenson, Matt Kuchar, Ryan Moore, Louis Oosthuzien, Patrick Reed, Kevin Kisner,

Young, exciting players with little Masters experience, but tons of game: Si Woo Kim, Thomas Pieters, Haotong Li, Daniel Berger, Xander Schauffele, Patrick Cantlay, Patton Kizzire, Tyrrell Hatton, Cameron Smith

Solid, tested players...wouldn't be a shocker if they won: Zach Johnson, Adam Scott, Jason Dufner, Francesco Molinari, Adam Hadwin, Charley Hoffman, Pat Perez, Webb Simpson, Brendan Steele, Branden Grace, Matthew Fitzpatrick, Ross Fisher, Kiradech Aphibarnrat, Ian Poulter

Guys who have a punchers chance, but would make for a somewhat shocking winner: Angel Cabrera, Bernhard Langer, Martin Kaymer, Jimmy Walker, Russell Henley, Wesley Bryan, Bryson DeChambeau, Billy Horschel, Kyle Stanley, Jhonny Vegas, Bernd Wiesberger, Austin Cook, Ted Potter, Jr., Dylan Fritelli, Chez Reavie

Guys who have no real shot at winning from my perspective: Fred Couples, Trevor Immelman, Sandy Lyle, Larry Mize, Mark O'Meara, Jose Maria Olazabal, Vijay Singh, Mike Weir, Danny Willett, Ian Woosnam, Yuta Ikeda, Yusaku Miyazato, Satoshi Kodaira, All amateurs.

Not playing due to injury: Brooks Koepka

• Like 1

Tiger! :pointstosky:

Bubba. I wonder what his betting odds will be. Rounding into better form, has course history and a great setup for lefties as we know.

Tiger! :pointstosky:

Could you imagine if he pulled it out. KSB would nevah shut the hell up. :lock:

I see what you did there. :thumbsup:

I see what you did there. :thumbsup:

:D

Pretty sure KSB would rather Tiger leave it in and he can hold it in for a few days

Bubba. I wonder what his betting odds will be. Rounding into better form, has course history and a great setup for lefties as we know.

To not have Bubba in the top 5 (at this time) is insane...... I'd drop Day out of the top spot, and remove Rose and Chappell altogether.

To not have Bubba in the top 5 (at this time) is insane...... I'd drop Day out of the top spot, and remove Rose and Chappell altogether.

He'd be in my top 10 for sure. Probably not top 5 just because I'd like to see more consistency and def not ahead of Day...but that's me personally

Bubba's attention span is too short for me to trust him. If he still looks focused and motivated in two weeks, I'll consider bumping him up.

Christ, you'd be able to hang shirts off of his c0ck if that ever happened :wall:

Christ, you'd be able to hang shirts off of his c0ck if that ever happened :wall:

Can barely hang one ankle sock now.

Bubba's attention span is too short for me to trust him. If he still looks focused and motivated in two weeks, I'll consider bumping him up.

I trust the attention span of guy with 2 Green Jackets in the bank already, who also happens to be playing his best golf since forever, over pretty much anyone else.

As they say, courses for horses - and Augusta is his.

I trust the attention span of guy with 2 Green Jackets in the bank already, who also happens to be playing his best golf since forever, over pretty much anyone else.

As they say, courses for horses - and Augusta is his.

It's hard to argue with how well Bubba played in the two years that he won the tournament. He was devastating. But, prior to Riviera, he was off the map completely. I'm not ready to anoint him based on two good weeks. Heck, Tiger missed the cut at Riviera by a lot and then people started acting like he was back in Masters contention based on a T-12 at the Honda. Wouldn't surprise me if he missed the cut again at Copperhead. I try to take a longer view. That being said, anyone who has watched Bubba dissect Augusta knows he's certainly capable of tremendous things there. I won't argue against that.

LETS make a draft of it!

It's hard to argue with how well Bubba played in the two years that he won the tournament. He was devastating. But, prior to Riviera, he was off the map completely. I'm not ready to anoint him based on two good weeks. Heck, Tiger missed the cut at Riviera by a lot and then people started acting like he was back in Masters contention based on a T-12 at the Honda. Wouldn't surprise me if he missed the cut again at Copperhead. I try to take a longer view. That being said, anyone who has watched Bubba dissect Augusta knows he's certainly capable of tremendous things there. I won't argue against that.

Oh I'm not ready to anoint him anything - other than a top 5 favorite at Augusta. Certainly over the likes of Day, who I personally think is done winning majors.

If this were Bay Hill, the Memorial or even the John Deere - I'm not sure I'd like him so much.......... But I certainly do at the Masters this year - he seems to hitting stride for a place he has devoured in the past.

Fascinating how down you are on Day whereas I am bullish. Respect your opinion. Will be fun to see whos right. I think Day wins a minimum of two more majors.

Fascinating how down you are on Day whereas I am bullish. Respect your opinion. Will be fun to see whos right. I think Day wins a minimum of two more majors.

I think Day is one of the most talented golfers on the planet. I'm not sure there is a tournament that he could not still win.

But I've seen his types come and go over the years - they burn thru their energy like a dying star. I saw Fred Couples and DLIII, with arguably more talent - only win 1 major as well.... For all the things you don't trust about Bubba (rightfully so), the same could be said about Day.... The dude is the biggest drama queen on tour, he logs more time in the training van than even the van driver and as we've seen, he's as hot and cold as anyone.... But maybe more than anything, I don't trust Day's swing - it's so violent, I wonder how long he can keep it up.

Bubba supposedly eliminated sugar (which should help his attention span) from his diet and lost 20 lbs. Seems to be more serious about his game so far this year. I don't really like him but he's a definite Top 10'er at this point.

Bubba supposedly eliminated sugar (which should help his attention span) from his diet and lost 20 lbs. Seems to be more serious about his game so far this year. I don't really like him but he's a definite Top 10'er at this point.

Bubba is a top 5 Tool for sure... I can't stand him either. :D

2 EdEx Tournaments this year.

Cruzer finishes.

7 out of 9

9 out of 10

Maybe golf isn't your sport, kid :P

Cruzer finishes.

7 out of 9

9 out of 10

Ouch!

LETS make a draft of it!

Do you guys do this one separate from the edex? If so, any room left?

Cruzer finishes.

7 out of 9

9 out of 10

You might check the previous 2 years. :thumbsup:

What have you done for him lately? :nono:

CBF won both titles, right?

What have you done for him lately? :nono:

I watched Michelle Wie win the HSBC, in a little bitty skirt. :ninja:

CBF won both titles, right?

No way he's won 2 times... Once for sure I recall.

I watched Michelle Wie win the HSBC, in a little bitty skirt. :ninja:

She's like 6'1 isn't she? big ol b1tch

But seriously, this is shaping up to be the greatest Masters in a long time. So many good young players. Bubba is actually on the way back to form. And does Tiger or Phil have a 86 Jack in the making?

So many story lines.

When I look at today's field I laugh when thinking about people saying it was harder to win back in the 70s because "there were more all timers".

The field is better than ever and it isnt close.

When I look at today's field I laugh when thinking about people saying it was harder to win back in the 70s because "there were more all timers".

I laugh at those (usually millinneals) who think it was so much easier to win back then.

Why is "millinneal" such a hot word these days? Is it old dudes just being grumpy old dudes?

You think the field was better in the 70s than it will be for this upcoming Masters? I disagree.

To say it was a better field in the 70s you are basically saying the game hasnt grown a ton since then. Which we all know isn't true.

Just like with almost any sport that has grown, the competition is better. The competition to make it to that level is way better.

I think Day is one of the most talented golfers on the planet. I'm not sure there is a tournament that he could not still win.

But I've seen his types come and go over the years - they burn thru their energy like a dying star. I saw Fred Couples and DLIII, with arguably more talent - only win 1 major as well.... For all the things you don't trust about Bubba (rightfully so), the same could be said about Day.... The dude is the biggest drama queen on tour, he logs more time in the training van than even the van driver and as we've seen, he's as hot and cold as anyone.... But maybe more than anything, I don't trust Day's swing - it's so violent, I wonder how long he can keep it up.

I agree long term on Days violent swing.

I disagree on any comparison to Bubba. Bubba has temper tantrums and is a mental case out there sometimes. Day is really pretty level headed.

I agree Day is a drama queen but not really sure that will keep him from winning

I disagree on comparisons with Couples and DL3. Couples is the furthest you can get from a guy burning through his energy. If anything, he (and he admits to it) didn't practice or go hard enough, although now that I am re-reading your comment, Im thinking maybe your reference to Couples was separate from the day = dying star comment. Either way, imho, Day is more talented than DL3 ever was.

Nah.... have to disagree with you and i'm a millenial.

it's apples and oranges.

fields back then were not as telented top to bottom, in my opinion.... but did indeed have more "all timers". so it's a pick your poison type of thing. Is it harder to compete and win against fields that had more "elite" players or harder to win against fields that had more overall talent all the way through??

I can't answer that. A good case can be made for both.

But seriously, this is shaping up to be the greatest Masters in a long time. So many good young players. Bubba is actually on the way back to form. And does Tiger or Phil have a 86 Jack in the making?

So many story lines.

I admit, I really don't want Tiger in there.

BUUUUT, i'll also admit, how freaking awesome would it be to have the last 3 groupings on Sunday be

Thomas - Johnson

Mickelson - Woods

Day - Fowler (or Garcia trying to defend?)

:boner:

Nah.... have to disagree with you and i'm a millenial.

it's apples and oranges.

fields back then were not as telented top to bottom, in my opinion.... but did indeed have more "all timers". so it's a pick your poison type of thing. Is it harder to compete and win against fields that had more "elite" players or harder to win against fields that had more overall talent all the way through??

I can't answer that. A good case can be made for both.

It is the tennis argument. And I have always said golf tourney is harder since more people can win and the gap in talent isn't as huge. So I hold the same view with this situation. It is harder to win in deep fields, and lets not joke, with guys that may be all timers as well.

Why is Hagen and Hogan and Snead so far ahead of the current crop? You mean to tell me all the best golfers ever sans Tiger were from the old era because they have all thr majors? Nah it was because it was easier for thr cream to rise to the top when the fields are much more limited.

Wilt was great at basketball. But the total level of competition besides Russell was well below his level. It allowed him to put up unreal statlines that no one will ever duplicate.

I'm not saying the best older players couldn't hang today. You can't compare players from different eras like that. But I do think it was easier for the handful of the best to more consistantly dominate. To me it is pretty logical.