Sign in to follow this  
kutulu

Official American Idol 2012 Thread

He is disqualified. :wave:

Woah. That's crazy. But it's not like he was going to stick around.

Shoulda brought that little kid that sounded like young MJ in instead.

Chewbacca or Heejun / "GODZIRRA" needs to go this week no matter how good they are. :lol:

HeeJun will be the last "bad" one out. I have a feeling he'll stick around til the top 8 or top 7.

Apparently the Gentle Giant isn't so gentle. I vote him most likely to hurt somebody real soon.

reminds me greatly of the "Raising Arizona" menstrual cramps guy.......

flippin' thru channels last night and stopped on Idol just to have a look...

I was stunned at how bad it was - it was far below my already low expectations.

I guess a lot of people still like this show - I'm guilty of still watching Survivor - so I get that good people watch bad TV sometimes.

But Idol is really bad.

I guess a lot of people still like this show - I'm guilty of still watching Survivor - so I get that good people watch bad TV sometimes.

But Idol is really bad.

It was a pretty uninspiring show. As the judges pointed out, they had thousands of songs to pick from, and many made crappy choices.

Joshua had the performance of the night. JLo was a bit overdramatic with "best Idol performance evah", but it was really good.

IMO we have a clear tier structure developing. In no particular order:

Upper tier -- Joshua, Philip, Colton, Jessica, Hollie, Skylar

Lower tier -- Diondre, Heejun, Elise, Erica, Shannon

Not sure if the elimination tonight is fans-only or judges choice. If fans, Diondre could be in trouble. If judges, they'll probably lean to getting rid of a girl to keep the numbers even. Elise and Erica haven't shown much potential IMO, but they've been more forgiving of them and critical of Shannon.

But Idol is really bad.

Yep, I stopped watching two weeks ago...I'm liking Survivor though. :banana:

It was a pretty uninspiring show. As the judges pointed out, they had thousands of songs to pick from, and many made crappy choices.

Joshua had the performance of the night. JLo was a bit overdramatic with "best Idol performance evah", but it was really good.

IMO we have a clear tier structure developing. In no particular order:

Upper tier -- Joshua, Philip, Colton, Jessica, Hollie, Skylar

Lower tier -- Diondre, Heejun, Elise, Erica, Shannon

Not sure if the elimination tonight is fans-only or judges choice. If fans, Diondre could be in trouble. If judges, they'll probably lean to getting rid of a girl to keep the numbers even. Elise and Erica haven't shown much potential IMO, but they've been more forgiving of them and critical of Shannon.

:thumbsup: ....i gotta agree

Without a doubt Joshua had the high of the night, and my girl Hollie did well too. Yeah, i'm hoping to see Diondre or Heejun go tonight.

Wow....long time no see A.I. 2012 Thread

Last night was very good imo, everybody did well.

And my girl Holly is still rolling along and getting better each week.

Still don't understand the mania over Joshua :dunno:

Wow....long time no see A.I. 2012 Thread

Last night was very good imo, everybody did well.

And my girl Holly is still rolling along and getting better each week.

I don't get Joshua either, but maybe it is just a style thing. The judges sure are jizzing over him. IMO he will go the way of Reuben, maybe having some obscure success in R&B/gospel.

Looking at my last post I was pretty close on my tiers. I still think America made a mistake with Colton -- he along with Skylar and Phillip are the only relevant ones. Hollie is a good singer but she doesn't have "it"; she could have a good career singing backup or maybe singing for Disney movies and shiot. Jessica I think has more potential to develop "it," but she isn't there yet. Both of them are young though and are surely learning a ton through the experience.

I gotta say, Phillip is starting to annoy me. It is almost like he is daring America to vote him off. I think he was the weakest of the bunch yesterday, but I doubt he'll be in the bottom 3. I suspect that he has built up such a strong following that he'll steamroll his way to the championship.

I don't get Joshua either, but maybe it is just a style thing. The judges sure are jizzing over him. IMO he will go the way of Reuben, maybe having some obscure success in R&B/gospel.

Looking at my last post I was pretty close on my tiers. I still think America made a mistake with Colton -- he along with Skylar and Phillip are the only relevant ones. Hollie is a good singer but she doesn't have "it"; she could have a good career singing backup or maybe singing for Disney movies and shiot. Jessica I think has more potential to develop "it," but she isn't there yet. Both of them are young though and are surely learning a ton through the experience.

I gotta say, Phillip is starting to annoy me. It is almost like he is daring America to vote him off. I think he was the weakest of the bunch yesterday, but I doubt he'll be in the bottom 3. I suspect that he has built up such a strong following that he'll steamroll his way to the championship.

I agree with you on Colton, Joshua :thumbsup: ....but not Holly :wub: though you do have a point on the Disney aspect. To me she is THE best vocalist & technically pufect in her art.

And YES, Skylar is a lock for Country Stardom and even though i like Phillip "Phil" Phillips as a person and LOVED "Time of the Season" last night, be bugs the chit out of me, fake voice / style and creepy faces.

Jessica :dunno: ....she's good but i'm not a fan

Overall good group this year.

I agree with you on Colton, Joshua :thumbsup: ....but not Holly :wub: though you do have a point on the Disney aspect. To me she is THE best vocalist & technically pufect in her art.

And YES, Skylar is a lock for Country Stardom and even though i like Phillip "Phil" Phillips as a person and LOVED "Time of the Season" last night, be bugs the chit out of me, fake voice / style and creepy faces.

Jessica :dunno: ....she's good but i'm not a fan

Overall good group this year.

Holly is very good at hitting the notes, but there is no unique style there. If that is the case, to be a star you need to have killer pipes to go with the note-hitting, like Pia did last year. Jessica IMO is similar technically and has a little better oomph than Holly. Although, Holly had maybe her best night last night. I'm afraid it is too little too late for her, I think she goes tonight.

For the record, I miss this thread. My gf hates when I evaluate the singers, she does't even watch the show.

First off, I can't believe that Testone dude stuck around for that long. She was terrible.

Here is my power rankings of who is left.

5. Hollie Cavanagh - I really love her voice. Technically, it is near perfection. Her pronunciation, breathing, tone, all technically perfect. But the problem is, she is a damn robot when she sings. No personality at all. Can you imagine going to a concert where she does a 30 minute set? You would fall asleep by the 2nd Mariah Carey ballet. I think she goes tonight.

4. Skylar Laine - I love how she is being sold by AI as some small town country girl when she has toured with the musical Annie for 2 years. This girl's got the voice, got the showmanship, but I think the top 3 is just a little bit better. She will be in the bottom 2 tonight.

3. Jessica Sanchez -

Jessica Sanchez - I love her voice. But I need to remind myself that this is not a singing contest, it's a popularity contest. America will be intimidated and confused by what ethnicity she is and she will be voted off sooner than we want.

I wrote that about Jessica when the show was in the top 24. And I was partly right. America did vote her off, but she was saved. She sung "I will always love you" better than Jennifer Hudson did at the Grammys. She killed 'Fallin' by Alicia Keys. I can't imagine this girl NOT having a good music career. However, she is not going to win. America voted her off once, she has done nothing to show that she won't get kicked off again.

2. Joshua Ledet - One of the best voices on Idol I've heard since...well...the last black dude with a crazy good voice. His performance last night of "To love somebody" was just ridiculously good. I can't remember the last time he sung something that I did not enjoy. I hope he makes the top two.

1. Phil Squared - I feel like he is on another level. Each performance with him is not a karaoke contest, but an original performance. He is definitely the least vocally talented contestant left, but Cris Allen won with less talent than he. I feel like he will be the winner this season.

For the record, I miss this thread. My gf hates when I evaluate the singers, she does't even watch the show.

First off, I can't believe that Testone dude stuck around for that long. She was terrible.

Here is my power rankings of who is left.

5. Hollie Cavanagh - I really love her voice. Technically, it is near perfection. Her pronunciation, breathing, tone, all technically perfect. But the problem is, she is a damn robot when she sings. No personality at all. Can you imagine going to a concert where she does a 30 minute set? You would fall asleep by the 2nd Mariah Carey ballet. I think she goes tonight.

4. Skylar Laine - I love how she is being sold by AI as some small town country girl when she has toured with the musical Annie for 2 years. This girl's got the voice, got the showmanship, but I think the top 3 is just a little bit better. She will be in the bottom 2 tonight.

3. Jessica Sanchez -

I wrote that about Jessica when the show was in the top 24. And I was partly right. America did vote her off, but she was saved. She sung "I will always love you" better than Jennifer Hudson did at the Grammys. She killed 'Fallin' by Alicia Keys. I can't imagine this girl NOT having a good music career. However, she is not going to win. America voted her off once, she has done nothing to show that she won't get kicked off again.

2. Joshua Ledet - One of the best voices on Idol I've heard since...well...the last black dude with a crazy good voice. His performance last night of "To love somebody" was just ridiculously good. I can't remember the last time he sung something that I did not enjoy. I hope he makes the top two.

1. Phil Squared - I feel like he is on another level. Each performance with him is not a karaoke contest, but an original performance. He is definitely the least vocally talented contestant left, but Cris Allen won with less talent than he. I feel like he will be the winner this season.

Nice review. My only nit is I would switch Skylar and Jessica, in my prediction of who goes first.

Haha,....i disagree with you both, and i'll even toss in KUTULU there. :lol:

IMO, Joshua, Phillip & Skylar are 1 Trick Ponies.

And Jessica flat out sucked last night on "You are so Beautiful"

I know Holly is going home tonight.

But I honestly have no idea who is the frontrunner right now.

I like Phil squared, but I know SO many people hate the dude with a passion. Calling him the worst top 5 AI contestant ever and stuff.

Any of the 4 left after tonight has a chance to take this thing. Which is why I keep on watchin.

I know Holly is going home tonight.

Any other sure things,.ricey?

I don't understand how someone could NOT get Joshua. I've been watching the show since it started, and he's easily top 2 or 3 talent ever on that show. Doesn't matter what he sings, that place goes silent. I've caught myself multiple times saying 'boring focking song choice' as the first few seconds of the song start. Then by the end of the song, I'm :shocking: and hitting rewind on the DVR.

Since the top 10, I've been telling my wife this is a 2 horse race between Jessica and Joshua. Joshua snuck up on me. Jessica had me hooked back in the early Hollywood rounds when her, DeAndre and some big girl sang this song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io_vJNWZapE

Any other sure things,.ricey?

Bah. Next week.

Holly did have a great week.

And Skylar did suck it up this week.

I don't understand how someone could NOT get Joshua. I've been watching the show since it started, and he's easily top 2 or 3 talent ever on that show. Doesn't matter what he sings, that place goes silent. I've caught myself multiple times saying 'boring focking song choice' as the first few seconds of the song start. Then by the end of the song, I'm :shocking: and hitting rewind on the DVR.

Since the top 10, I've been telling my wife this is a 2 horse race between Jessica and Joshua. Joshua snuck up on me. Jessica had me hooked back in the early Hollywood rounds when her, DeAndre and some big girl sang this song...

He's good, but i hate his style.

I don't like Gospel

I don't like R&B

I don't like Cabaret

I don't like Broadway

I don't like bad acting

I don't like 1 trick ponies

HTH

I suppose you liked both Rueben & Fantasia too ? :thumbsdown:

He's good, but i hate his style.

I don't like Gospel

I don't like R&B

I don't like Cabaret

I don't like Broadway

I don't like bad acting

I don't like 1 trick ponies

HTH

I suppose you liked both Rueben & Fantasia too ? :thumbsdown:

I question if you're even watching the correct show once you mentioned 'bad acting' and '1 trick ponies'. He's the most modest person on the show and has slayed every style of music he's attempted. Rueben and Fantasia were lounge singers compared to this guy. Funny though how you compared him to 2 other blacks. I get it now. HTH.

I question if you're even watching the correct show once you mentioned 'bad acting' and '1 trick ponies'. He's the most modest person on the show and has slayed every style of music he's attempted. Rueben and Fantasia were lounge singers compared to this guy. Funny though how you compared him to 2 other blacks. I get it now. HTH.

Dude, i've watched EVERY show from day 1

I like Joshua as a person, i just don't like his music.

1. Mantasia - It's almost too easy for him. Joshua should be the front runner right now, but it's damn close. 2 or 3 amazing performances away from winning this thing.

2. Jessica Sanchez - She has the potential to be the next Mariah Carey or Whitney Houston. But she'll probably end up singing the hooks for 2nd rate rappers for most of her career. 2 or 3 amazing performances away from winning this thing.

3. Phil Phil Philip Phillipson - Regressed last night imo. But it really isn't about his singing anymore. It's the argument about how everyone else is karaoking and Phil is already developing himself as an original artist. 2 or 3 amazing performances away from winning this thing.

4. Horry Cavanagh - I guess not a lot of people enjoyed her Journey performance. As a Journey fan, I really enjoyed it, but like Freddy Mercury, Steve Perry is another guy who you need to be careful with when you try to sing their music. I think she goes home tonight, but it could very well be anyone else. 2 or 3 amazing performances away from winning this thing.

Honestly, I have no idea who is going home tonight. Which is why I will be watching.

Holly goes home tonight :( And i blame Jimmy / Show Agenda for that. Jimmy dropped the ball this week with Her and ONLY her when it comes to song choice. "I can't make you love me"

So that leaves us with....

The Gospel King

Jessica (Queen)

Phil (Joker)

YUCK!!!!.....i may not watch after tonight.

Last night was the first night that I thought Joshua really deserved the accolades he got. I couldn't understand why they gargled his sac every week, but that dude can sing.

That being said, the show is better than before because of Jimmy Iovine in terms of the quality of the performances, but worse in the quality of judging without Simon.

Joshua without a doubt stumbled onto a formula that works for most,...but not me :P

1st of all, i highly dislike BOTH Gospel & Black music,.....enough said.

And Phillip,...i guess he's good if you like Sting but can't afford him.

Jessica, i guess you have to not be an old white guy to enjoy it.

:dunno:

Last night was the first night that I thought Joshua really deserved the accolades he got. I couldn't understand why they gargled his sac every week, but that dude can sing.

That being said, the show is better than before because of Jimmy Iovine in terms of the quality of the performances, but worse in the quality of judging without Simon.

Yeah, Joshua did well with Man's World. It was interesting that Randy said afterwards something like "it was the best he's heard it performed on ANY show." Because it was performed a few weeks ago on The Voice by Juliet Simms. I thought her version was better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NiO6WxTRjA

She came in second; frankly I thought she should have won.

Holly goes home tonight :( And i blame Jimmy / Show Agenda for that. Jimmy dropped the ball this week with Her and ONLY her when it comes to song choice. "I can't make you love me"

So that leaves us with....

The Gospel King

Jessica (Queen)

Phil (Joker)

YUCK!!!!.....i may not watch after tonight.

So again, you must not have been paying attention and missed where Jimmy said he purposely had nothing to do with the song choices this week. He wanted them all on an equal playing field. He's probably the only reason she lasted this long. Her issue is that she's too mechanical. No matter the song, her only recourse is to just belt it out as loud and soaring as possible. The song you mentioned is the exact opposite.

So again, you must not have been paying attention and missed where Jimmy said he purposely had nothing to do with the song choices this week. He wanted them all on an equal playing field. He's probably the only reason she lasted this long. Her issue is that she's too mechanical. No matter the song, her only recourse is to just belt it out as loud and soaring as possible. The song you mentioned is the exact opposite.

Still I think I could see a show of hers. 30 seconds of Philip Philips is 20 too many.

Also, she and Jessica have similar styles, and side by side, Jessica is just better. It will be interesting to see who Hollie's voters now support; prolly not Phillip. I have a feeling that they'll go more to Joshua than Jessica, and that Jessica goes next.

Still I think I could see a show of hers. 30 seconds of Philip Philips is 20 too many.

Oh, I totally agree. Would have been fine with him leaving weeks ago.

Vocally, Phillip Phillips is arguably one of the worst top 5 contestants in AI history.

But we all know that this is not a singing contest, it is a popularity contest. And Phillip is that "cool" kid in high school that doesn't do anything and still somehow gets voted on as the student president.

I would not be surprised one bit if Phil wins in a landslide.

So sorry i overlooked looked that 3 seconds of a 2 hour show while life was going on around me.

so i'm wrong about that, big deal.

shoveidt!

Was totally shocked & pleased to see Joshua booted last week :thumbsup:

Agreed, with the shocked part anyway. I thought it was Jessica's time to go, but maybe she got the bulk of Hollie's votes after all? Also, my wife said that the past few idols have all been men, and that she wanted to see a woman win it; perhaps others in the voting audience feel that way? Also also, maybe the judges knew that Joshua's votes were trending down, and that is part of why they slobbed his knob every week. :dunno:

Agreed, with the shocked part anyway. I thought it was Jessica's time to go, but maybe she got the bulk of Hollie's votes after all? Also, my wife said that the past few idols have all been men, and that she wanted to see a woman win it; perhaps others in the voting audience feel that way? Also also, maybe the judges knew that Joshua's votes were trending down, and that is part of why they slobbed his knob every week. :dunno:

Yea, I think it was a little bit of each.

Jessica definitely got most of Hollie's votes. Their age and styles are similar enough that it shouldn't be a reach for the fans to move immediately to Jessica's camp.

There were a lot of things that Joshua lacked. Like Jacob Lusk last year, Joshua is a young "feminine" black man that I just don't feel like most idol watchers can connect with.

He consistently made each performance look "too easy", and when people were standing and clapping, he had that look of "that was too easy."

He never tried anything new.

I think it's going to be very close this week, especially with the Joshua voters going to Jessica.